Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Hand Row posted:

Also the ref report stated not calling a foul on Giannis on the McCollum steal was correct. Any contact was ruled incidental and did not affect the play. Blazer fans are probably incensed.

Nah, we're pretty happy that we'll get away with the same thing now... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lmao Fultz is clearly hurt

Did the Sixers medical staff get tired of redshirting rookies and decided to check out this time

lol Suns

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hmm, so there’s a PG injury to the Clippers and there’s a disgruntled guard in Phoenix who wants out because of too much losing

It would be very funny if the Clips bring back Bledsoe and they have better synergy than at any time during CP3’s tenure

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Athanatos posted:

Every single NBA team started the season with the coach they had at the end of last year, and 6 days into the season, one of them made a change.

That itself has to be a record, to have no turnover, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Carlosologist posted:

Hmm, so there’s a PG injury to the Clippers and there’s a disgruntled guard in Phoenix who wants out because of too much losing

It would be very funny if the Clips bring back Bledsoe and they have better synergy than at any time during CP3’s tenure

I think the Clippers specifically hired a GM so that Doc Rivers doesn't throw away 1st rounders anymore to vets

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hand Row posted:

Also the ref report stated not calling a foul on Giannis on the McCollum steal was correct. Any contact was ruled incidental and did not affect the play. Blazer fans are probably incensed.

Watching live, I didn't think it was a foul, and on replay I still didn't think it was a foul, so no I'm okay.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

At least Phoenix has Josh Jackson, his motor might get the team go...
https://streamable.com/gmhhq

oh

https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/922188021566337024

Just say basketball my man

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Earl Watson sort of stumbled backwards into the job to begin with, he wasn't a top assistant or anything like that, he was an assistant on the Spurs' d-league team for 1 year, then Hornacek's assistant for a few months, Hornacek fired, suddenly Watson was the coach. He probably came at a low price, knowing Sarver

He had the same injury riddled roster as Hornacek, minus a starter and backup forward. There was clearly some organizational push to tank, because some terrible young players got tons of burn and they just sent Bledsoe home 2 months before the season ended. The organization probably knew they'd be the worst team this year, but face or "respect" is an important intangible among peers, and Sarver was losing face and Jay Triano will probably slow things down, limit turnovers, give veterans a bit more time, and hopefully earn some of that beautiful head coach money.

There was a question way back, why do people hate Lonzo Ball, I don't think any of us hate Lonzo Ball as a human being. I personally and a few other people have continuously questioned his positioning as the next great pure PG, because of his lack of athleticism and the fact that UCLA's offense relied on having 3 ball handlers on the floor most of the time, with Ball's threes coming as spot ups and his points coming to an insane degree from cuts and lobs. He also has a very awkward shooting form that looked to be easily affect-able by NBA length and athleticism.

If he'd been sold as "this tall guy passes well and makes spot up threes" and not "the Next Jason kidd/Ricky Rubio (super athlete pure pg who later learned to shoot/ best passer in the NBA who couldn't make lay ups but has learned to shoot threes, was always a great defender) and hadn't been drafted over a lot of players who have more potential by both eye tests and advanced metrics, then no one would be bothered about him. If the Lakers new front office hadn't traded the number 3 pick from a couple years ago in exchange for a clunky offense only center to clear the roster for him, people would have less disdain.

As for Markelle Fultz, he wasn't a great ft shooter in college but he was a good shooter, he's maybe hurt but definitely a rookie who's not getting the ball as much as he's used to. It takes 3 years for players of his type to show what they are as NBA players, so I wouldn't start worrying yet.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Eric Gordon:

quote:

“Teams want to run me off the line,” Gordon said. “I’ll just attack the basket like that. I just have to make the right play. That’s what I’m going to do.
“I showed a couple flashes last year. I feel a lot better this year. I think this is a good year for me to excel even more.

“I do feel stronger than last year,” Gordon said. “Last year, it was all about just playing as many games as possible. Now, I’m just going to put it all together and playing my real game. I’ve always been able to shoot 3s. Early on in my career, I used to take it to the hole a ton. This is a good year to put it all together.
“I’m going to be aggressive throughout the whole game. When I’m out there, I’m always going to be aggressive, that’s for sure.”

He has been noticably going to the basket really loving well to start the season. Please stay healthy eg

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

G-Hawk posted:

Eric Gordon:

He has been noticably going to the basket really loving well to start the season. Please stay healthy eg

He'd have been an allstar years ago if his knees could handle it

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/922261381612752896

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This would never have happened if he’d just hired brolic to be his roadie

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/xxl/status/922263755383287813

ITS DOLPH

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

He'd have been an allstar years ago if his knees could handle it

There was a time when Clippers EG was this board's favorite guy. Before his body betrayed him he was a viewed as a Wade-esque combo guard who's so good it doesn't matter he doesn't have a position (back before it was fashionable to consider position irrelevant). Not to say he had a game similar to Wade's, but that at the time being a combo-guard was regarded as bad, like 3/4 tweeners before the stretch four trend, and only guys who were next level talents overcame that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

glowing-fish posted:

That itself has to be a record, to have no turnover, right?

I think it was the first time since the 70s.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

blue squares posted:

Which NBA team is the least religious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chYkhlCon6E

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

G-Hawk posted:

Eric Gordon:

trade crispy paul to the suns for eric bledsoe and give all those possessions to eric gordon IMO

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

There was a time when Clippers EG was this board's favorite guy. Before his body betrayed him he was a viewed as a Wade-esque combo guard who's so good it doesn't matter he doesn't have a position (back before it was fashionable to consider position irrelevant). Not to say he had a game similar to Wade's, but that at the time being a combo-guard was regarded as bad, like 3/4 tweeners before the stretch four trend, and only guys who were next level talents overcame that.

I distinctly remember a lot of users here thinking it was outrageous that Harden got the spot on the 2012 Olympic team over Gordon

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

eric gordon is best known for sparking a hilarious college basketball feud between illinois and indiana

e: lmao this article from ESPN

quote:

Illini seethe hatred toward Eric Gordon (and family), but IU wins anyway
Feb 8, 2008

Pat Forde

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Illinois hit Eric Gordon (and family) with everything it had Thursday night:

• More than 16,000 vengeful fans, who booed the Indiana freshman's every dribble for a solid 2 1/2 hours.

• A chippy chest bump from Illini guard Chester Frazier during pregame introductions, rocking Gordon several feet backward.

• Intermittent chants of "Liar! Liar! Liar!"

• Relentless defense from as many as three different Illini players.

• And near the end of this double-overtime thriller, when nothing else was working, a handful of orange-and-blue beads were lobbed onto the heads of a courtside section of Indiana fans that included Gordon's parents. Ice, too. At least one IU fan had to be restrained from going after the orange-clad fans above.

Why the over-the-top antagonism? Let one of the Illinois students who showed up early and stayed late to hate on Gordon try to explain.

"He's the reason we're in this situation," the kid said. "He's the reason we've got a losing record."

You have to be good to make this many people act this petty. And Eric Gordon is very good.

Gordon had the audacity to change his teenage mind, originally pledging his collegiate services to Illinois and then switching to rival Indiana. The massive impact of that switcheroo can be seen in the two teams' records: Illinois is 10-14, Indiana is 19-3.

Redacted
May 13, 2014
Holy poo poo at the ending of the T-Wolves - Thunder game.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

On the one hand nice to be vindicated in maintaining that Wiggins was going to be an awesome player. On the other hand, god dammit

Redacted
May 13, 2014
Really felt like The Thunder we’re starting to figure themselves out in the 4th quarter.

Nothing you can do really with a shot like that.

Still in shock at Westbrook not taking the shot and passing it to Melo.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
The Timberwolves have won two close games in a row against reasonable competition.

My period of skepticism is over with them. It's time for us all to start sucking each others' cocks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Redacted posted:

Holy poo poo at the ending of the T-Wolves - Thunder game.

https://streamable.com/3t2tl

Basketball is back baby

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Justice has prevailed this night

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

man the Wolves are gonna be so good even in this meat grinder of a West

wait until they figure out the defense

also question: is it weird to be paying attention to multiple teams at a time? Like this year I'm keeping tabs on the Sixers, Bucks, and Wolves. I feel that basketball is particularly conducive to being able to root for multiple teams just because of the smaller rosters and such

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The crowd going from 110 to 0 like that is music

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

My favorite part is Melo not even trying on defense :]

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

also question: is it weird to be paying attention to multiple teams at a time? Like this year I'm keeping tabs on the Sixers, Bucks, and Wolves. I feel that basketball is particularly conducive to being able to root for multiple teams just because of the smaller rosters and such

I think particularly this year because there was so much movement plus Embiid & Simmons, the Ball thing, Smugrie and L. "How many times can I call Kyrie 'the kid' in a 2 minute interview" Bron, etc.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lifelong wolves fan here, my favorite players are jimmy butler, taj gibson, and john lucas iii

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The thunder were all over the place the first 3 quarters offensvely but man in the 4th it was clicking and it was scary

Redacted
May 13, 2014

Metapod posted:

The thunder were all over the place the first 3 quarters offensvely but man in the 4th it was clicking and it was scary

I know. It sucks the way they lost because it honestly felt like they figured out how to make it all work.

But, then again.. they deserved to get beat with how lovely they played the rest of the game.

I know that in a months time when it’s clicking and wonderful, people are going to forget this loss and how this season started.

Redacted fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 23, 2017

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

nah man it's not weird at all, there's tons of cool teams this year and the changing of the guard around the league happening again is always an exciting time. I find myself watching and wanting Embiid to play 30+ minutes games, wanting to see a Giannis MVP season, for the Wizards to take it to east, just dozens of teams to watch for a variety of reasons, basketball is fantastic in that respect

also, WOLVES BITCH

that loving bench is going cost us ten games or so tho, the times where Crawford goes cold like tonight are gonna be rough

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anime has invaded the Lakers

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Redacted posted:

I know that in a months time when it’s clicking and wonderful, people are going to forget this loss at how the start of the season was.

And how it made was a rebound friend

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Go Thibs, Go Wiggins, Go Wolves

Carlosologist posted:

Nah, NBA plays too many games in the regular season, so don't try to watch all 82 from one team. Spread it around a little. I usually follow 2-3 teams closely, and I'll frequently watch 6 different quarters of different games in one night to get a taste of what different teams look like.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

lifelong wolves fan here, my favorite players are jimmy butler, taj gibson, and john lucas iii

you must be a pretty big fan of that guy Christian Laettner too

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

EvanTH posted:

you must be a pretty big fan of that guy Christian Laettner too

not familiar with him, but my favorite all-time wolf from the classic wolves period is Luc Longley

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Tae posted:

Anime has invaded the Lakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsY4inCYkvE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dejan covered issues that people have with Lonzo so I won't redouble that. I will say that people who claim that he's only disliked because of his dad are willfully ignorant.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So are they building around rookies like Kuzma and Ball? Lopez seems not bad but not great and he's been playing since 2008 so if he was going to get better he would have by now right? Is SG just a giant gaping hole in the roster?

The Lakers plan is to sign Paul George and another high level free agent next year, ideally Lebron James. They gave up the flexibility to do something else when they made the D'Angelo trade. They certainly hope an exciting Ball and Ingram will be apart of that (Kuz may be included eventually).

Now they may be in position where very likely they are going to have to pay heavily for Brook Lopez (he's not going to be cheap, several teams have money and the cap is going to likely go up because of jersey patches [although will likely go back down the year after that a bit]), and overpay for KCP, who is the rare player his age and skill level who's an unrestricted free agent. Because of the changes to the draft it really isn't probably a good idea to just let those guys go and bottom out (and they'll likely have to bring one back to even hit the cap floor).

The Lakers have one of the worst front offices in the league now (although they do have a good scouting and draft unit which may save them from a lot of mistakes) and a bad owner who cares more about players making an all star team than winning basketball games. If you aren't heavily invested, I'd suggest moving on.

• Locked thread