Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Payday 2 developers are answering questions about the VR mode thats coming, and so far a bit disappointed.

-No locomotion options, dash/teleport only

-All weapons can be used one handed

-None of your movements will translate to your model that others can see. (can't really fault them for this, they're adapting a 2d game thats years old, still it would have been a nice surprise)

-The reload system sounds... weird:

quote:

There will be a system where you press the reload button to trigger the reload, there is a reload timer next to your gun. There will be a box in your inventory belt, it will also show the reload timer. Once the timer is done you can intersect the gun with this box and your gun is reloaded.

There will also be an automatic reload system.

EDIT: Looks like the beta will be available Nov 16th

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sigh

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tom Guycot posted:

-None of your movements will translate to your model that others can see. (can't really fault them for this, they're adapting a 2d game thats years old, still it would have been a nice surprise)

I can fault them for this. The drat Minecraft VR mod has this, including a companion mod that enables flat screen players to see your movements as well. If a mod for a game that basically defines janky engines can do it a professional team of developers should be able to.

That said Payday 2 has enough sync issues as is so I'm not going to complain too hard, otherwise we'll end up where my teammates see my hands fly off in to another county.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

quote:

Grenades and bags will work in the same way.
For the beta you hold them in your hand aim and launch them.

:pwn:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Dirt Rally is on sale for $12 on Steam currently. I picked up that and Talos to give my 3 sensor setup a test drive today. I’ve still got a dead zone on the left edge of my play area, facing away from the rear sensor.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

wolrah posted:

I can fault them for this. The drat Minecraft VR mod has this, including a companion mod that enables flat screen players to see your movements as well. If a mod for a game that basically defines janky engines can do it a professional team of developers should be able to.

It's a bit harder than that to decouple the arms from a rigid model and still have them maintain their ligaments/bones.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

I've got a 1080 and I've been hitting ASW a bunch in some steam games (notably BAM recently), even after turning all the settings down. Any idea what I can check out/do? I'm not running anything in the background, like flux which I've heard can cause problems. Playing on a Rift.

Check the performance page on the wiki, it’s got a section on performance with a few things worth trying.
http://wiki.bulletsandmorevr.com
I’ve been running a lower SS in BAM vs Onward by quite a bit on my 1080ti but I don’t think it’s because of GPU uti and I’ll probably crank it back up to 3.2.
I think the cause is the usual Unity issues with to many things happening in the main thread and limited multithreading support and things getting thread locked.
The upcoming Unity after 2017.2 will finally have a more robust multithreading system that might help with things like this.

Also get on the BAM discord mister.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Tom Guycot posted:

Payday 2 developers are answering questions about the VR mode thats coming, and so far a bit disappointed.

yikes

Sounds like they're totally phoning it in.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Darke GBF posted:

yikes

Sounds like they're totally phoning it in.

Bad devs do a bad VR implementation? Well I never...

Also, when payday2 VR was announced I called every one of these halfassed VR implementation problems. lovely teleportation, 1h weapons, worthless garbage implementation.

They don’t have anyone passionate about VR over there nor do any of the devs play any VR games to understand what the player base expects.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Lemming posted:

I've got a 1080 and I've been hitting ASW a bunch in some steam games (notably BAM recently), even after turning all the settings down. Any idea what I can check out/do?
Play competently optimized games instead.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Also get on the BAM discord mister.

Thanks

Also I am I just don't read it much

Ralith posted:

Play competently optimized games instead.

High quality post

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Won my first BAM BR game using only the pump action shotgun. I looted it off the first guy I killed and said I'd use it in his honour, thinking I'd die immediately. I managed to pop three more dudes with it, and the third guy dropped another pumpgun just as mine ran out of ammo. Killed the last guy with it but not before I tried to fire it and realised it needed to be pumped again because the guy I got it from was trying to kill me with it - trying to fire and hearing it go click was terrifying until I noticed what had happened.

The range on the pumpgun is pretty obscene, all said. It's similar to PUBG's shotguns with a choke, you can rail people from a surprisingly realistic distance with it.

I also won another one by breaking open a crate with a knife, finding an LMG with a bipod and a scope, setting up shop in the window of a building on top of a mountain and hosing down the remaining people as they came to get me. Luck was on my side as the circle was focused around the building I was in, forcing people to come to me :3:

E: Does Echo Arena support premade groups? I want to play it but I'm too nervous to go it alone, but with my two pals it'd be a blast.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 22, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Songbearer posted:

Won my first BAM BR game using only the pump action shotgun. I looted it off the first guy I killed and said I'd use it in his honour, thinking I'd die immediately. I managed to pop three more dudes with it, and the third guy dropped another pumpgun just as mine ran out of ammo. Killed the last guy with it but not before I tried to fire it and realised it needed to be pumped again because the guy I got it from was trying to kill me with it - trying to fire and hearing it go click was terrifying until I noticed what had happened.

The range on the pumpgun is pretty obscene, all said. It's similar to PUBG's shotguns with a choke, you can rail people from a surprisingly realistic distance with it.

The pump gun does obscene damage, 8 x 21 damage. You can clip somebody with it and probably kill them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Songbearer posted:

I also won another one by breaking open a crate with a knife, finding an LMG with a bipod and a scope, setting up shop in the window of a building on top of a mountain and hosing down the remaining people as they came to get me. Luck was on my side as the circle was focused around the building I was in, forcing people to come to me :3:

E: Does Echo Arena support premade groups? I want to play it but I'm too nervous to go it alone, but with my two pals it'd be a blast.

Feels good to get those wins, if the game had auto queue once you died I think that'd be the biggest immediate win and everything else would just be gravy

And yeah there are groups in EA as well as private matches, so you can practice with your friends before joining the regular queue if you want to

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Are there any YouTubers doing videos that show themselves playing the game alongside the view inside the headset, to give some idea of what the experience of playing VR games is, and the videos are actually good?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You mean what it looks like through the lenses? That's really not something that can be recorded with a camera in any accurate sense that comes close to how it would look.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GutBomb posted:

You mean what it looks like through the lenses? That's really not something that can be recorded with a camera in any accurate sense that comes close to how it would look.

OBS has a good OpenVR plugin that can get you one eyes output for the stream.
You can also use OBS to composite a webcam or setup a Mixed Reality recording that combines a camera that is aligned with your VR games engineer (real tracker or static emulated position) and can combine with a greenscreen setup to put you “in the game”.
I do the regular old webcam setup with a tiny webcam window on top of an OpenVR 16x9 window. It looks ok, I’m not a real “streamer” though. I mainly just do it to catch sweet replays or to try to get some of my friends into a game.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 23, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

GutBomb posted:

Not a recording of the lenses, just the normal flatscreen rendering. But with picture-in-picture showing synched up video of the person playing IRL. And also the videos aren't terrible.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Seashell Salesman posted:

Not a recording of the lenses, just the normal flatscreen rendering. But with picture-in-picture showing synched up video of the person playing IRL. And also the videos aren't terrible.

You might want to be more specific about that last part.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

rage-saq posted:

You might want to be more specific about that last part.

A/V quality is good enough to tell what's going on, the player interacts with the game properly and shows/discusses the gameplay, videos are edited somewhat sensibly so you don't have to watch an hour to get 30 seconds of information. I think that's probably what most people would think of for a non-terrible video showing games off?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Not just VR stuff on there, but Node.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Seashell Salesman posted:

Go to twitch and lookup games. Lemming does the whole dual cam, I stream just headset atm. There’s a dozen people on thread I think that stream.

It’s not all perfect but it’ll give you an idea of what’s up.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

SpikeMcclane posted:

Not just VR stuff on there, but Node.

Thanks, the video on here of a bunch of different people playing GORN is pretty interesting.

Also thanks EbolaIvory for the Twitch suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Did you mean like these?

With green screen
Without green screen

rage-saq posted:

OBS has a good OpenVR plugin that can get you one eyes output for the stream.
You can also use OBS to composite a webcam or setup a Mixed Reality recording that combines a camera that is aligned with your VR games engineer (real tracker or static emulated position) and can combine with a greenscreen setup to put you “in the game”.
I do the regular old webcam setup with a tiny webcam window on top of an OpenVR 16x9 window. It looks ok, I’m not a real “streamer” though. I mainly just do it to catch sweet replays or to try to get some of my friends into a game.

Thanks for posting this, I'll need to give this a try. Lots of games default to using a 'cyclops' view between the eyes, so sniping looks weird when I record

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Yep that's the kind of format I'm trying to describe :)

e: and I prefer no green screen because it's easier to tell how the person is moving around in their room as they play.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Paingod556 posted:

Did you mean like these?

With green screen
Without green screen

Thanks for posting this, I'll need to give this a try. Lots of games default to using a 'cyclops' view between the eyes, so sniping looks weird when I record

If you have a rift there’s also the Oculus Mirror but I prefer the OpenVR plugin over it as it has a better fov at a 16x9. The oculus mirror has this weird thing that happens at the edges where some horizontal fov shrinks in when you turn your head quickly but if you are recording an Oculus Home game it’s the only way.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

None of this disappoints me. It's still a step up in immersion from playing on a monitor. Also dash teleport is still better than regular teleport. One handed weapons is not ideal, but Fallout 4 will have the same thing. It's an arcade style game and not a simulation. Raw Data doesn't have manual reloading either and it rocks.

Of course I'd rather see touchpad locomotion, but I like the fact that this is a mixed monitor and headset VR game.

On top of it this is a free update so I am far more forgiving.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 23, 2017

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Vive, so I'll dig up OpenVR

iceaim posted:

None of this disappoints me. It's still a step up in immersion from playing on a monitor. Also dash teleport is still better than regular teleport. One handed weapons is not ideal, but Fallout 4 will have the same thing.

Of course I'd rather see touchpad locomotion, but I like the fact that this is a mixed monitor and headset VR game.

On top of it this is a free update so I am far more forgiving.

On one hand, they did the John Wick VR game with LionGameLion, which had proper reloading and two handed grips, so this is a step backwards.
On the other, that game was a static shooter, zero mobility. Plus given PD2 has double the firearms that H3VR has, expecting them to have all of them with even basic Pavlov styles reloads may be a bit much.

I'll be trying it, but expectations are low. Especially now that H3VR has the M1 Garand GLORIOUS PING added in the beta. Arena fights are amazing with that

Edit- the gunlist- http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Payday_2
Latest additions were from Raid WW2- Garand, MP40, and P08 Luger. Though I'll probably stick to either Akimbo Peacemakers or Akimbo AKS-74u while in VR :getin:

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 23, 2017

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Paingod556 posted:

Vive, so I'll dig up OpenVR

On one hand, they did the John Wick VR game with LionGameLion, which had proper reloading and two handed grips, so this is a step backwards.
On the other, that game was a static shooter, zero mobility. Plus given PD2 has double the firearms that H3VR has, expecting them to have all of them with even basic Pavlov styles reloads may be a bit much.

I'll be trying it, but expectations are low. Especially now that H3VR has the M1 Garand GLORIOUS PING added in the beta. Arena fights are amazing with that

Oh I did not realize that they did the John Wick VR game. Still I don't think it is fair to compare a single player game built for VR from the ground up with a co-op multiplayer monitor game with VR retrofit into it and that allows cross play with non headset users.

Wow it has double the firearms of H3VR? Mind you I am a complete Payday 2 virgin.

I am pretty sure I will enjoy this game, and considering that I am a VorpX veteran, I am very good with expectation management.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 23, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got a tracking number for the Dell headset...

In classic Dell.com fashion, even though I bought the headset and controllers as a single SKU, they somehow managed to ship them in two separate packages, arriving Tuesday and Wednesday.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

If you have a rift there’s also the Oculus Mirror but I prefer the OpenVR plugin over it as it has a better fov at a 16x9. The oculus mirror has this weird thing that happens at the edges where some horizontal fov shrinks in when you turn your head quickly but if you are recording an Oculus Home game it’s the only way.

Oddly, I use mirror and its been fantastic, so mileage may very

Also, Clipped this for lemming/etc/whoever.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HumbleRepleteTruffleNotLikeThis

GGs tonight :)

How is it the only way though? Most Oculus home games have independent windows, So you can just throw the exe or whatever into obs and its fine. Anything in Oculus home also seems to have a decent FOV and or a spectator mode so you dont have to do poo poo but add that specific process to OBS and you're good to go.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 23, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Oddly, I use mirror and its been fantastic, so mileage may very

Also, Clipped this for lemming/etc/whoever.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HumbleRepleteTruffleNotLikeThis

GGs tonight :)

How is it the only way though? Most Oculus home games have independent windows, So you can just throw the exe or whatever into obs and its fine. Anything in Oculus home also seems to have a decent FOV and or a spectator mode so you dont have to do poo poo but add that specific process to OBS and you're good to go.

I suppose I could have been more specific. The Oculus Mirror is the only tool like the OBS OpenVR Plugin for Oculus Home games that lets you have control over which eye to capture, what resolution, etc
You can capture the games native desktop mirror in whatever format that provides, but often you cannot capture the right eye which is helpful for games where you want to capture the ADS view down sights or something of the sort. The games native desktop mirror doesn't have that capability, or at least I haven't seen one that does. Additionally, doing it that way also requires you to maintain a list of multiple applications in OBS setup to get the right source, vs just have Oculus Mirror setup with the correct settings full time.

BAM was fun! I would have stayed longer but I got the lovely right ear audio problem and I'm working a case with Amazon/Oculus on replacement. I took off the headphones and I'll use my wireless headphones tomorrow while I get that sorted out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You can also set your Oculus Mirror to not be 16:9 ratio to get more of the top and bottom. I have mine set so it still cuts a little off (or it'd pretty much be half and half in terms of game to not game) but it is an improvement

Also best moment of the night lol that sniper is so hard to use https://clips.twitch.tv/InnocentNurturingCoyoteKippa

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

You can also set your Oculus Mirror to not be 16:9 ratio to get more of the top and bottom. I have mine set so it still cuts a little off (or it'd pretty much be half and half in terms of game to not game) but it is an improvement

Also best moment of the night lol that sniper is so hard to use https://clips.twitch.tv/InnocentNurturingCoyoteKippa

Yes, but you still don’t have as many options as the OpenVR plugin. You have a larger accessible vertical and horizontal FOV to crop individually in 4 different directions vs whatever algorithm the oculus mirror determines you get based on the resolution you pick.
Plus the OpenVR plugin doesn’t have that weird problem where if you turn quickly the black edges of the screen creep in.
I still use the Oculus Mirror for Oculus games but anything in SteamVR I just use the OpenVR plugin.
More info on both here:
https://wiki.bulletsandmorevr.com/index.php/Misc#How_to_Stream_BAM

Hopefully somebody steps up and makes a universal mirror window that has a high quality image (unlike the SteamVR mirror that is a garbage undersampled mess) and has configurable h/v fov and eye selection.
Some games could stand to have the cameras fov back a few inches to see more of your fov and your hand interactions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah it's just what I use since I just keep it on whatever game and don't have to mess with it. I might change it up a little once EA gets the spectator mode since I'll need to put a little more effort into my setup anyway. Probably a good idea to switch between the two when I play steam vs Oculus games. I just wanted to point out it was possible. I did notice the black bar thing since you pointed it out and it's really bugging me

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Yeah it's just what I use since I just keep it on whatever game and don't have to mess with it. I might change it up a little once EA gets the spectator mode since I'll need to put a little more effort into my setup anyway. Probably a good idea to switch between the two when I play steam vs Oculus games. I just wanted to point out it was possible. I did notice the black bar thing since you pointed it out and it's really bugging me

I keep just trying to ignore it to be honest. But I have a feeling I'll be migrating too.

Anyone doing the ceiling mount thing for cables for your headset? I'm tired as hell of untangling this cord every couple games as well as tripping over the drat thing. Anyone know of any "kits" that are good these days? I was thinking about picking up one of the 6 or 8 hook ones or whatever then slamming some screws to reinforce them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Ceiling mount isn't going to solve your tangling problems, you'll still need to untwist. To be honest getting an extension and leaving it in the ground is pretty ok with me

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Ceiling mount isn't going to solve your tangling problems, you'll still need to untwist. To be honest getting an extension and leaving it in the ground is pretty ok with me

Tripping over it is my breaking point. I have extensions and all that, I just really want it off the floor. More reasons than just the tripping and twisting.

I know ill still have to untwist it at some point, but right now its more because the ball of cable becomes a tripping hazard. If it was on the ceiling i could ignore it for a lot longer. Plus its off my floor.

And poo poo, Might as well. The room is 100% dedicated for "work" and "VR". So who why not? :)

I also feel like if it was up, it would put less stress on the actual cable. It wont get stepped on and all that.

Also anyone have recommendations for 3d printed or something to wall mount my headset when im not using it? Guess I could just put a shelf on that side of the room for once I get the cords on the ceiling but didnt know if anyone had something they were using already.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 23, 2017

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Not sure I would classify Windows AR devices as an "upgrade" from Rift or Vive:

https://www.roadtovr.com/acer-windows-mixed-reality-vr-headset-review-ah101/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

D1E posted:

Not sure I would classify Windows AR devices as an "upgrade" from Rift or Vive:

https://www.roadtovr.com/acer-windows-mixed-reality-vr-headset-review-ah101/

Inside out tracking is a massive breakthrough, but coupling it with a HMD that is tethered with a cable to a PC negates most of the benefits you gain. Not having to set up base stations is an advantage, but most people buying in on VR at this stage are enthusiasts, developers and experimenters who are comfortable setting aside some convenience for better tech, setting up trackers and emitters isn't that big of a deal if you're in this market segment. There's definitely places where the MR headsets are useful and have an audience, but you trade a lot in order to gain those benefits. Tracking fidelity/quality is one of them but most of the MR headsets are inferior in terms of other features compared to competition at the same price point as well.

Microsoft probably should have let it bake for another year.