Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
guess whos back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

guess whos back

Wait, this is not making a terrible point. Are we sure it's the same guy?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

there wolf posted:

Wait, this is not making a terrible point. Are we sure it's the same guy?

I don't think "Look at this hypocrite, we shouldn't listen to his opinions about healthcare and guns because he doesn't talk about women's issues!" qualifies as a good point.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I don't think "Look at this hypocrite, we shouldn't listen to his opinions about healthcare and guns because he doesn't talk about women's issues!" qualifies as a good point.

Plus, please correct me if I'm wrong here, but, weren't the women on The Man Show well aware of the fact that they were being paid to be objectified on television?

They weren't raped or sexually assaulted, as far as I know, like the Just Nuts guy is trying to imply.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

the_steve posted:

Plus, please correct me if I'm wrong here, but, weren't the women on The Man Show well aware of the fact that they were being paid to be objectified on television?

They weren't raped or sexually assaulted, as far as I know, like the Just Nuts guy is trying to imply.

True. "Rape is funny to me" is a pretty bullshit thing to put into someone's mouth just in general. The cartoonist is also implying people can't change over 13 years.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

the_steve posted:

I mean it still perpetuates rape culture regardless of how enthusiastic and well-compensated the participants were.

That's not really the point the cartoonist seems to try and make, though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I see a bad toon a-rising
I see a taxing on the way
I see welfare so enticin'
I see bad times on way

Don't go 'round tonight
He broke off from the right
There's a bad toon on the rise

I see sanc cities a-growin'
I know the end is comin' soon
I fear coloreds overflowin'
I hear us white guys rage and fume.

Don't go 'round tonight

I hope you got your guns together
I hope you are quite prepared to cry
Looks like they're writing angry letters
One guy is voted on a lie

Don't go 'round tonight

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Zesty posted:

Yeah, none of that happened during Obama's presidency.

Edit: Oh this is an old comic.
Correct, McCain and the right-wing media didn't shoot themselves in both feet by counting unhatched chickens.

When did Chris Chandler take up politics?

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 22, 2017

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

This is so surreal it's almost beautiful.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Yes, for he bears the ̵̠̺̯̜̯͖̣̎ͣ͘ͅT͔̖̞͇̳͍̍̔͜Aͦ̃͏̻͖̀C̜̗̤̼ͩͫ̌͊ͧ͗̓͡Ǫ͉̲̣͇̖͈͓̺̈͋̍̆͊̏̔̿͘

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It clearly says "Potox"

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Alrighty, here goes the Herblocking. The book is organized by topic.

The year is 1968, and Herblock is reflecting on the Johnson Administration's domestic accomplishments.

Herblock posted:

1. The Near-Great Society

People are always talking about "the verdict of history," as if it were to be rendered by 12 good men and true in unanimous agreement — or about "what history will say," as if they took literally the traditional cartoon character of a white-bearded figure writing in one large book with a quill pen. But history is not always even "a fable agreed upon"; it is what various writers convince various readers was so; and even commonly held opinions on past events and public leaders are subject to change from one generation to another.

Despite President Johnson's most ardent efforts to woo a national consensus, it eluded him; and even with the benefit of perspective, historians who write about the Johnson Administration may be no more of a single mind than commentators of the day.

There is probably a special irony in the fact that during the tenure of an Administration which was terribly anxious to achieve unity there was so much talk of gaps that it seemed at times to have achieved a Great-Divide Society.

There has been a credibility gap; a generation gap; the gap between hope and achievement; the cosmic gulf between space flight and the nearby slums; and the Grand Canyon between opinions on the Vietnam War. One thing we have not had is a yap gap. And this has represented an improvement over the frightened and frightening silences of the early 1950s, when dissent was regarded as dangerous — as indeed it turned out to be for many who dissented.

Some historians may decide that our present national wounds are more painful than gaping. The civil-rights gap is far less than it used to be, but it hurts more to feel it existing at all. The gaps between the affluent and the poor may not be as great as they were in the days of the sweatshops, but we are more aware of them, and of the iniquities of inequities.

Since cartoons generally put more stress on unfulfilled needs than on surveys of past gains, it is worth noting here some of the accomplishments of the Johnson Administration. They include three far-reaching civil-rights acts; an immigration act which also eliminated long-standing inequities and discriminations; the basic legislation of the Economic Opportunity Act, including the Job Corps, VISTA and Head Start; aid to Appalachia; the rent-supplements and model-cities programs; the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, including aid to slum schools, and college loan programs; the Teacher Corps; programs to aid the states in health services; Medicare; minimum-wage increases, with broader coverage; and an act providing legal aid to indigents. Also, anti-pollution programs; two new Cabinet departments, Housing and Urban Development, and Transportation; such consumer-protection acts as auto-safety measures, a meat-inspection act, a truth-in-packaging measure, an expanded flammable-fabrics act, and the truth-in-lending act. Add some measure of gun controls and the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968. And chalk up, a consular treaty with Russia and the outerspace and nuclear-nonproliferation treaties.

The achievements were many and impressive, and came fast during the early part of the Johnson Administration. In working his measures and appropriations through Congress, perhaps Mr. Johnson got while the getting was good, and knew that a blockage was bound to develop in the Congressional cornucopia.

It might have been, as he said, that we could afford spending for continued progress at home along with an escalating Vietnam War; but budgetary considerations became greater and progress became less. It might have been that, after the landslide victory of 1964, losses of some Congressional seats to conservatives were inevitable in 1966; but about four dozen House seats were lost and many bright, progressive Congressmen were gone. It might have been that more modest requests for domestic programs represented realistic appraisals of what could be expected from Capitol Hill; but the scaled-down requests for cut-back programs were chopped still further by Congress. There is no question that many Congressmen who whoop through any and all war appropriations would not spend the same money on the home front, war or no war. This is particularly true of those bellicose Republican "conservatives" and Dixiecrats who are more ready to lay down lives than prejudices, and who can hear the most distant drum more clearly than the cry of a hungry child in the street. But the purse strings were bound to be drawn tighter with thirty billions a year going for war.

Perhaps even more important than the financial expenditures on Vietnam, the Administration was spending its eloquence and energies, its persuasive powers and prestige, on the war. And there developed a communication gap between a pained Administration and dissatisfied former supporters. The Administration kept pointing out that it was passing more legislation and spending more on public welfare than any other Administration in history. The critics kept pointing out that the deeds at home were not keeping pace with the needs of the times or the Great-Society Expectations that had been aroused. The Johnson programs went remarkably far, but they did not go all the way with LBJ rhetoric, or seem to be going as far as the men, money and material that kept flowing to Vietnam.

As the war in Vietnam escalated, the war on poverty faltered, and the projected upward curves of welfare programs fell. The "Great Society" became increasingly the target of ironic jests; and finally the term itself was dropped from the Administration vocabulary, which had always suffered from a tendency to verbal overkill.

Probably to a greater extent than most Administrations, Lyndon Johnson's bore the brand of the Presidential personality. He could say that maybe he didn't get things done with "style" but he got things done; and this was true. But what he considered mere lack of style was to others a missing ability to arouse and lead an entire people.

A strong President, and perhaps more knowledgeable about government programs and legislative procedures than any of his predecessors, Lyndon Johnson, unlike Dwight D. Eisenhower, wouldn't be accused of or excused for not knowing what was going on. He could be and was accused of not sharing facts candidly with his fellow countrymen. His hand seemed to be in everything his Administration did; and if he did not see each and every sparrow fall, he saw, as far as one man could watch everything, where each bomb was and was not supposed to fall. He must have seen also where he fell down; and of course he saw his popularity drop in the polls.

In mid-1968, in an extemporaneous speech to a group of graduates of the Capitol Page School, he referred to his announcement that he would not be a candidate for another term in the White House. "On March 31," he said, "I thought this country was divided. I didn't know how much I contributed to that divisiveness. I hoped I didn't contribute anything. I never tried to say any mean things or hateful things. But I felt in the atmosphere that perhaps if I indicated that I did not have any personal ambitions whatever, that it might somehow contribute to improving the political atmosphere and the division among us. This might make me better able to unite the nation..."

A Presidency that came in for this kind of self-examination will give the historians plenty to do by way of examining and evaluating.

They may recall an old two-line gag, in which one man asks, "How's your wife?" and the other man replies, "Compared to what?"

Compared to past Administrations, historians will probably find that the LBJ legislative record looks brilliant, even taking into account his inheritance of good works in the legislative pipeline when John F. Kennedy was killed. And they may note that LBJ appointments to high posts were, on the whole, excellent. They may decide that, compared with internal disorders and divisions in other nations of the time, our domestic strife was not so bad as it seemed at close range. They might find that Mr. Johnson looked very good indeed compared to the Presidential possibilities offered by the other major political party in the 1960s — candidates who were more hawkish and reckless abroad and less concerned with public welfare at home.

Perhaps only with time will it be possible to assess new programs that seemed to begin all too modestly but that may be seen in perspective as landmarks.

Some historians may be struck by the paradoxes in a Presidential Administration that moved legislation without moving people, and that offered great accomplishments without meeting its goals or ever-growing national needs. It advanced the public welfare in a nation considered generally "prosperous," and became unpopular with Americans perhaps never before so frustrated by a combination of unresolved problems at home and an unresolved war abroad.

Some of those historians may feel pretty frustrated, too.

Much has been written about the burdens of the Presidency. The President who set out boldly to establish the Great Society might share the lament of Linus in Charles Schulz's Peanuts:

"There's no heavier burden than a great potential."

The American Medical Association was so opposed to Medicare that they hired a failed actor named Ronald Reagan to record warnings about socialized medicine.

Johnson's new administration got off to a strong start.

Published the day before LBJ had his gallbladder removed.

Unfortunately, a certain dispute in Indochina began to overshadow the Great Society.

One problem was that LBJ did not want to raise taxes to pay for the war and his new programs.

The Pope is Catholic. Bears poo poo in the woods. D.C. is a transportation nightmare.

Do

you

sense

a

theme

developing?

:v: And everything was fine after that!

Join us next week as we look at Herblock's cartoons on the economy and I find a real scanner.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SwitchbladeKult posted:

There's nothing there that says we should ignore his opinions on healthcare and birth control, though. It could be read as "you were willing to publicly condemn taking away healthcare and gun violence, but you've got nothing to say about sexual harassment for some reason..."

Isiah has an entire body of work that backs up your opinion on this cartoon, so I don't really think you're wrong. I should have just phrased what I meant as AGC, except there's nothing to flip or parse differently. He's just ineptly stumbled into a valid criticism by being to lazy to spell anything out.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Now, I'm not saying I would pay money for a polo shirt that says "THE MAN SHOW WAS NOT THAT LONG AGO" on the front, but if someone gave it to me as a gift I wouldn't turn my nose up

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Those Herblock cartoons are fantastic. Looking forward to the next installment!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

corn in the bible posted:

guess whos back

yesssssssss

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

What's even going on in the bottom right there. Just a weird rock?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Angepain posted:

What's even going on in the bottom right there. Just a weird rock?
I think they crawled out from under a rock? Or a secret tunnel under the rock?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is Johnson considered to be a good president or not? Non-American here, and he seems to be one of the 20th century Presidents people don't seem to talk about much, so is he considered good or bad?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

OldMemes posted:

Is Johnson considered to be a good president or not? Non-American here, and he seems to be one of the 20th century Presidents people don't seem to talk about much, so is he considered good or bad?

Both?

He passed civil rights and social safety net legislation but he also massively escalated Vietnam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LBJ?

I'd say he's generally considered good, though the time he was president was marked with a ton of strife that had its roots well before he started, so it's hard to separate his influence out in some cases. He signed most of the major pieces of civil rights legislature, as well as the Clean Air Act iirc, but Vietnam also degraded into a quagmire while he was in charge and he was widely viewed as ineffective in that field.

He certainly was a better president than Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush 1/2. Dunno about Clinton. I like Obama better, though LBJ got a lot more stuff done than Obama did.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

here, try to understand this one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nonsense, it's an election year.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Only sort of related, but hey.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I honestly haven't been following the opioid crisis, but since there's a ton of cartoons on it lately, I have to assume it's affecting a shitton of white people since they're mysteriously blaming a broken system instead of addicts*.

*This is a good thing, but change "opioid" to "pot/crack/etc." and see how sympathetic these cartoonists are about addicts.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 23, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pants Donkey posted:

I honestly haven't been following the opioid crisis, but since there's a ton of cartoons on it lately, I have to assume it's affecting a shitton of white people since they're mysteriously blaming a broken system instead of addicts*.

*This is a good thing, but change "opioid" to "pot/crack/etc." and see how sympathetic these cartoonists are about addicts.

The big thing that's led to increased attention in the last week or so was the revelation that Trump's nominee for drug czar (who has since withdrawn from nomination) sponsored legislation that makes it harder for the DEA to investigate drug companies funneling painkillers to illicit sources, after receiving a lot of money from drug companies.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OldMemes posted:

Generally positive, but not deified like FDR or Reagan.

He was basically amazing on domestic policy and terrible at foreign policy. Didn't know what to do about Vietnam, so just followed to advice of people who turned out to be incredibly wrong about everything. But he helped pass a ton of incredibly important civil rights legislation and strengthened the social safety net.

Also he had strong opinions about pants.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is he trying to say everyone owns a bathrobe or is a bit off on his understanding of popular imagery of people?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is he trying to say everyone owns a bathrobe or is a bit off on his understanding of popular imagery of people?

I think the idea is that you just wander around nude except for the mask. Which would make Kubrick proud, admittedly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

T-man posted:

I think the idea is that you just wander around nude except for the mask. Which would make Kubrick proud, admittedly.
Well yeah, but in all the other images of Weinstein in cartoons etc he's in a bathrobe.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There is no way to read this as anything but a criticism of how angry gun people get when the possibility of stricter gun laws comes up, right?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well yeah, but in all the other images of Weinstein in cartoons etc he's in a bathrobe.

It's a cartoon about how Weinstein's a gross sex pest, a bathrobe is only one of many ways to convey that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe a competent artist hasn't illustrated this yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Just want to use this post to plug some of the greatest political biographies ever written, Robert Caro’s multi-volume The Years of Lyndon Johnson, which are incredibly deep dives into LBJ’s life and America’s systems of power,

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 23, 2017

• Locked thread