Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Huh. This Jump Start is tougher than I expected.

anyone have any sick protips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Huh. This Jump Start is tougher than I expected.

anyone have any sick protips

The fight seems designed for Maria BSB, so if you don't have it native you might want to RW it. The entry is earth, so you target that at the flame, and the AoE commnd 2 is fire/earth, so it hits the weaknesses of all of them. When the ogres finally die, Command 1 is one of those "up to 6 hits with high MAG" ones that does earth damage to try and focus down the flame.

It's still quite hard unless you have a native Wall, though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Maria is good, but if you have Papalymo BSB and/or his dive, he's pretty much just as good. Though I also had Rydia BSB to supplement, and r3 Meltdown, Titan, Chain Firaga + Stonega, so I was super well prepared for this one.

The real takeway though: Have fire and/or earth mages.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Turns out OK kind of sucks without any motes! Go figure!

also Raines getting resisted by these fuckers isn't helping things.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Also: Resist Sleep accessories. Doubling up on defenses with ice resist when I already had native Wall was a bad idea and I was completely unable to do much once I started getting hit by AoE blind and sleep.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I'm actually making great headway with Larsa SSB+BSB combo and the Sleep hasn't affected me much. I'm just lacking anything in the way of Earth DPS and that's a huge bummer.

Have Rydia's OSB so egged her up and threw her in: 30k damage against the flame. Not nearly enough :sigh:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Schwartzcough posted:

It's still quite hard unless you have a native Wall, though.
I had native wall but needed more DPS and didn't want to chase down a Maria RW. My only native earth magic SB is an underleveled Rydia BSB. Instead, I did it with a pile of classicaly good SBs.

Alphinaud BSB (titan, bahamut, +summon damage RM)
OK BSB/OSB (full break, stoneja, +black magic damage RM)
Ramza USB (aff break, phantasm, start with haste RM)
LD Papa BSB (meltdown, chain stonega, devotion RM)
Rosa USB (ultra cure, shellga, TG Mode RM)

Wall RW, Enkidu Magicite

Papa with a legend dive melted the ogre mages before they could cast sleep. Enkidu would have helped there otherwise; Rosa had the major sleep resist ring you get from fully clearing the Warrior of Light FF1 dungeon.

Never used bahamut, stoneja, or chain stonega. Stoneja was a waste on OK; he was easily doing more than 10k damage with his BSB.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 23, 2017

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
These old dungeons are filling me with shame. Apparently I missed mastery my first time through over a year ago because somehow the 45 DIFFICULTY STEINER AND THE BOMB LEVEL KO'd one of my sad crew. Now I have to master it to get the mythril.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Turns out OK kind of sucks without any motes! Go figure!

also Raines getting resisted by these fuckers isn't helping things.

On the plus side, now is the perfect opportunity to farm some in the FF3 EXP dungeons.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I don't know about the JS but for A+ I assumed the fire/earth weakness by HP would be somewhat equal so I brought Terra, Raines and Celes as DPS.

It wasn't a good idea. Well, it worked, but I wouldn't go that route again.

I plinked away at the soul with Raines CMD1 while Terra meleed it until she had OSB since I ran out of Meltdowns. Celes cast Quake Strikes while Indom Blade was up.

For the JS I'll just bring my strongest x/NE hitters and Cloud USB.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Attestant posted:

On the plus side, now is the perfect opportunity to farm some in the FF3 EXP dungeons.

I assume they only drop from the top XP dungeon? If not would it be better to run more of a lower dungeon for more drop chances?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Bruceski posted:

I assume they only drop from the top XP dungeon? If not would it be better to run more of a lower dungeon for more drop chances?

Highest difficulty has the best droprates, and best EXP.

(This tends to be true every time anything grindable is released in this game.)

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

For the JS I'll just bring my strongest x/NE hitters and Cloud USB.

Little did I realize on my first attempt, but the JS at least has a perma-Physical Blink at the start of the fight that really hosed me up. Felt like 30% of my attacks simply missed.

quote:

I'm chain refreshing through Renewals and don't have the stamina :sigh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Why did I not get these aoe rms way sooner :psyduck:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've spent 300 Stam and no OK motes. Do I need him in my party?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Felt like 30% of my attacks simply missed.

That is in fact exactly what the percentage is. The "blink" spell that gets auto-cast at the start of the Red Soul + Ogre Magi fight is actually a do-nothing graphical effect, but there's an AI value in the fight which causes 30% of all physical attacks, including things that are normally auto-hit like Soul Breaks and Life Siphon, to miss.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I beat the Jumpstart, but it was a slog. I had Maria with R3 Meltdown and an RW Neo Grand Cross, so that put in some serious work, but her OSB was only doing 30k, but Ashe's OSB was doing 50k??? Maria is level 85 and Ashe is level 99, but that's still a huge gap, especially considering the difference between hitting a weakness and hitting at neutral. Very confused by that.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've spent 300 Stam and no OK motes. Do I need him in my party?

Shouldn't need. You are running the 30 Stamina Enigma Dungeons with just dragons in them, right?

Maybe you're just unlucky? It took me goddamn ages to get those 12 motes the first go around. :shrug:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
The rule is/was that it will take forever to get the motes you want for OK, then once you get those the motes start dropping all the time to make you angry about how long it took you to get the motes you wanted.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I can confirm that after I got my motes, I started getting way more. I have 12 unused extras now.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Aren't we getting more reliable access to onion knight motes during the next FF3 event it is that another grind?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
If anyone has a Maria BSB I can roaming warrior for this I would appreciate a code. That would help approximately a fuckton (my native earth damage output is extremely low).

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Ybrik posted:

Aren't we getting more reliable access to onion knight motes during the next FF3 event it is that another grind?

As I recall it the Aria event did not offer any source of Onion Motes, nor did the event after that which unlocked his Legend Sphere. Instead around the time of the second one they put the Motes in the Gyashal Shop as a permanent option to buy for all 12, which coincided with the sunsetting of the old style of Mote Dungeons (and the ability to farm them by fighting the III Ahriman one).

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Oh ok. At least that saves me from wasting luck on motes instead of gatchas.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

victrix posted:

Why did I not get these aoe rms way sooner :psyduck:

Who all has them? I think I only have the one from Orlandeau, somehow.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Who all has them? I think I only have the one from Orlandeau, somehow.

At RM2:
Leo, Orlandeau, Bard and Yda have physical AOE
Emperor, Cloud of Darkness, Rubicante and Marach have magical AOE

RM3: Black Mage has magic AOE

RM4: Black Mage, Strago, Nabaat have magic, Yang, Ida have physical

The RM4 ones have the highest multiplier as you might expect

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Attestant posted:

Shouldn't need. You are running the 30 Stamina Enigma Dungeons with just dragons in them, right?

Maybe you're just unlucky? It took me goddamn ages to get those 12 motes the first go around. :shrug:

Yes, the 90 Stam one with the Dragons.

Also if you go for Stratgo, his is earth based which is bad for sundaily/tuesdaily.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Prism posted:

If anyone has a Maria BSB I can roaming warrior for this I would appreciate a code. That would help approximately a fuckton (my native earth damage output is extremely low).

90 Maria with BSB

mB5d

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prism posted:

YNeM, level 99 with two earth boosts.

But also you can use https://friends-ffrk.com/ to search for RWs, and even sort them by expected damage.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just finished the JS battle with a native Maria BSB, Terra BSB, SG, and used a RW OK BSB, and barely squeaked by with mastery as I was running out of gas.

My team was Terra, Selphie, Maria, Ramza, and Tyro.

I recommend that, if you have a decent Fire Magic BSB, after using the Maria BSB, only use CMD2 once to boost her magic, then spam CMD1 on the Flame. After Tyro's buff from his new USB and the OK BSB buff, Terra's BSB tore through both of the giants like tissue paper without any trouble. It was the HP and Resistance of the Flame that made me sweat at the end.

I probably would have fared much better with a Support character with magic based SBs, or even a second healer with breaks, but Ramza has been stapled to my party for such a long time that I rarely consider ever moving him out of it. Either way, the bubbles from Chant probably saved my life more often than Dreamstage did.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Armitage posted:

I was hoping one of the two 5* was a BSB but at least I came away from this pull with an USB!

I just can’t get away from Mateus’ Malice in these Final Fantasy gacha games, though :v:

Now it’s time to hold onto my mythril until FFIV.

Congrats on your II Torment CM clears.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

90 Maria with BSB

mB5d

Fister Roboto posted:

YNeM, level 99 with two earth boosts.

But also you can use https://friends-ffrk.com/ to search for RWs, and even sort them by expected damage.

I didn't actually know this was a thing. Thanks! I'll give it a shot (yours or something off the site) when I get home in about three hours.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

How to beat the JS:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MP Lag seemed to affect that raid more than most I've played in the past. Solo was definitely the way to go against the Emperor. The II JS was probably the toughest realm JS I can remember, having a bunch of sleep res accessories is the highest priority.

These Renewals are ridiculous, but I think i'm almost halfway there. I haven't counted my refreshes but I've got to be somewhere over 10 but less than 15, but I'm only part way through VIII now. The most difficult part will be figuring out the best way to spend all that mythril...

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Seriously though Yuna or other summoners excel at that fight. I wanted to kill the ogres first so I had her cast Tritoch for 25k per ogre (heals the soul). Then bahamut for 20k each.

With the ogres gone the debuff crap is over and it's just about getting rid of the big bad.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

One more observation, as a Rikku USB owner now, it's allowed me to experiment more with Healer abilities. Y'shtola can wrath and... breakdown foes. I had Aphmau spamming summoners in another battle. Not being tied to proshellga is both liberating and yet kind of weird. Best thing is I feel less like I'd need to whale for Tyro USB3.

The most unfortunate thing though, I really wish I had Edge USB now. That huge native fist weapon damage plus water boost is going to complete waste, especially since Bartz can't equip it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iamsosmrt posted:

One more observation, as a Rikku USB owner now, it's allowed me to experiment more with Healer abilities. Y'shtola can wrath and... breakdown foes. I had Aphmau spamming summoners in another battle. Not being tied to proshellga is both liberating and yet kind of weird. Best thing is I feel less like I'd need to whale for Tyro USB3.

It works in the opposite, too - as a Tyro USB3-haver in JP, I feel less compelled to whale for Rikku USB (or Quina USB) at every opportunity.

Strangely enough, the liberating thing is just having your Proshellhastega attached to an effect you would bring to difficult fights anyway (wall, atk/mag, boostga, etc).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yeah that fist is like only 1 of 3 weapons edge can equip that have non-synergy locked water boost, one being an old unique SB katana that will never see the light of another banner

it made me sad to not get it

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

It works in the opposite, too - as a Tyro USB3-haver in JP, I feel less compelled to whale for Rikku USB (or Quina USB) at every opportunity.

Strangely enough, the liberating thing is just having your Proshellhastega attached to an effect you would bring to difficult fights anyway (wall, atk/mag, boostga, etc).

Yeah, my standard now for most of my JP stuff is to RW God Wall to take care of Wall and Proshellga, which lets me use Eiko instead of Y'sh and also skip the Proshellga slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

And the final CM.

Firion, 99, BSB. Lifesiphon, Hailstorm. MM
Maria, 90. Curaga. Haste RM
Leon, 85, BSB. Divine Cross, Memento of a Protection. DRM
Guy, 1. Nothing

Enkidu, Asylum RW to Maria.

While I have Maria's BSB I haven't mastered it yet and the bow has 0 MND so took the no SB route here. Also no Protectga because I don't have any motes to dive her for 4* WHM.

Haste the boys with their BSBs. Weaponsmaster, Weaponsmaster, Weaponsmaster etc

• Locked thread