Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So they first attacked in a fleet of 60k when everyone had 20k maximum.. then they attacked with a 190k fleet when I own half the galaxy with like 35 planets and 700 fleet support with a 100k fleet.

How the hell do I compete? Save money till maxed out then go over my fleet support and jihad that poo poo?

You must be playing on a REALLY small galaxy is 35 planets gets you half of it.

And also yes, if you want to compete with a freshly Awakened Empire, you're gonna have to far exceed your fleet capacity. That or just surrender and wait for Decadence to build up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to make certain portraits only for certain races? The horrible parasitic portraits, I always want to destroy them on sight no matter what sort of country I'm playing. But displacement can take a very long time and I think if there's no refugee slots in the galaxy it can take forever. Since I'm not evil I can't actually genocide these horrible things, so I've taken to using the kill_pop command because I hate them so so much.

I'd love to make it so they could only spawn as hive minds, so countries would correctly auto-purge them no matter their ethos. Also notice some of my vassals are harbouring them. Wish I could demand an all out galaxy-wide cleansing of a "species" if you can call them that.
I have bad news about your gut flora.

Shadowlyger posted:

You must be playing on a REALLY small galaxy is 35 planets gets you half of it.

And also yes, if you want to compete with a freshly Awakened Empire, you're gonna have to far exceed your fleet capacity. That or just surrender and wait for Decadence to build up.
It sounded like 70 or so inhabited planets were what people liked to do, everyone was bragging about taking 0.25x habitable worlds, hyperlanes only, so on and so forth.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So they first attacked in a fleet of 60k when everyone had 20k maximum.. then they attacked with a 190k fleet when I own half the galaxy with like 35 planets and 700 fleet support with a 100k fleet.

How the hell do I compete? Save money till maxed out then go over my fleet support and jihad that poo poo?
They wake up when you approach cca 60k fleet power (or any other empire), attack them first and build fortresses in border systems. It will slow them down and those inhibitors reduce their fleet power by about 10%.

In my last game, I was lucky to have machine FE as the second FE, they never awaken if you take down other FE or have comparable fleet power, so I had to deal only with one FE at time.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 22, 2017

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Nessus posted:

I have bad news about your gut flora.
It sounded like 70 or so inhabited planets were what people liked to do, everyone was bragging about taking 0.25x habitable worlds, hyperlanes only, so on and so forth.
Hyperlanes only is common but not 25% habitable planets.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How do you have 35 planets and only 100k fleet strength?

I'm 100 years in a game with 6 planets and have 75k strength.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dwesa posted:

They wake up when you approach cca 60k fleet power (or any other empire), attack them first and build fortresses in border systems. It will slow them down and those inhibitors reduce their fleet power by about 10%.

In my last game, I was lucky to have machine FE as the second FE, they never awaken if you take down other FE or have comparable fleet power, so I had to deal only with one FE at time.

Yeah the real key to FEs is to not overbuild your fleet lest you awaken them, and hit them when you have a slight advantage. Make sure you have plenty of flak for those loving fighters of theirs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

35 planets and 100k fleet power does seem low, are you not teching up much? Or are you not building spaceports and upgrading them because those contribute a lot to your fleet capacity.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OwlFancier posted:

35 planets and 100k fleet power does seem low, are you not teching up much? Or are you not building spaceports and upgrading them because those contribute a lot to your fleet capacity.
Fleet composition probably plays a significant part in that that. Like in my current game, I was running with an 100% destroyer fleet to take (moderate) advantage of the psychic evasion bonus, but am about to switch over to at least cruisers, because the return on fleet capacity just isn't there. My flak/railgun/2x plasma destroyer gives me 156 fleet power for 2 fleet capacity, while my torpedo/railgun/plasma cruiser gives me 604 for 4, nearly twice as good.

edit: Wow. I noticed the issue with this before, but didn't realize what was going on. It looks like the "assimilation" policy automatically makes assimilated peoples full citizenship - even if they already exist and have been given another citizenship type. So cybernetic "assimilation" in an empire where everyone is supposed to be a caste system constantly resets the species back to full citizenship.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 22, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having trouble finding the mod that resets crisis to 150 years instead of 200. The last 2 games I played ended up with me getting a technical victory around 100 years in then having the entire galaxy vassalized by 150, then sitting around waiting with the game on full speed for another 50 years...

But I only play on small .25 maps, so that's why my games go fast. Gotta go fast.

Ah here it is
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1149838146&searchtext=crisis

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 22, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
They should just put the Crisis MTTH on a slider too, 100 on the lower end for powergamers and small galaxies, 200 for people who like to durdle

e: not a slider that lets you pick the exact year mind, but like the options they added to game generation in CK2

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 22, 2017

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I imagine we'll see more midgame crisis's oneday to make it feel valid to have a 2400 timeframe for the endgame stuff. Right now tho? Yeah I'll use that mod too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the game should have more player-direct challenges, like the leviathans, that let you pick when you tackle them. Sort of like trying to go after the Guardian or attack Antares in moo2, they are big threats but you try them when you think you are ready rather than the game sending them at you potentially way too soon or way too late.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Trying the one-planet strategy is my new obsession: I don't see myself building the Science Nexus in the next fifty years in my current space parrot game, but playing Insane and finally not being dead last in technology all game is great. I thought the Militarist Xenophobes slowly blocking me off from the Stellar Drake would be a early game-over, but then they decided to sign a NAP so it's unchecked expansion ahoy!

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I don't think Destroyers are weak at all. They've got an efficient number of Large weapon slots per supply and their computer upgrades their accuracy vs. other small ships.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Autism Sneaks posted:

Trying the one-planet strategy is my new obsession: I don't see myself building the Science Nexus in the next fifty years in my current space parrot game, but playing Insane and finally not being dead last in technology all game is great. I thought the Militarist Xenophobes slowly blocking me off from the Stellar Drake would be a early game-over, but then they decided to sign a NAP so it's unchecked expansion ahoy!
Like, literally just one planet? :raise: That seems very impractical in this.

Senethro posted:

I don't think Destroyers are weak at all. They've got an efficient number of Large weapon slots per supply and their computer upgrades their accuracy vs. other small ships.
I don't know if it's real or imaginary, but as far as the computer's analysis goes, it just doesn't seem like they measure up. Some tech later, and my torpedo cruisers are at 806, while my kinetic artillery destroyers are at 230. Better, but still on the order of a quarter the fleet strength for half the capacity.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Strudel Man posted:

Like, literally just one planet? :raise: That seems very impractical in this.

Everything I've seen about the so-called one planet strategy isn't being completely honest. Typically you turn aggression down and primitives way up so you can have tons of observations posts up. Basically, you alter the galaxy generation to make it possible (and even then it requires on certain things being around you and liberal 'restart until you get this').

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know if it's real or imaginary, but as far as the computer's analysis goes, it just doesn't seem like they measure up. Some tech later, and my torpedo cruisers are at 806, while my kinetic artillery destroyers are at 230. Better, but still on the order of a quarter the fleet strength for half the capacity.

Don't put too much faith into those numbers the computer is generating, they can be pretty nonindicative of how fights will go. The other day my fleet of 175k plus about 75k of allied fleets took down 350k of Awakened Ascendency fleet.

But I do agree with you, destroyers feel real real weak this patch. You're better off just going battleships and cruisers.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
TBF, what this game really needs is more "sit around and do nothing" so the one planet strategy makes sense.

I'm excited for Stellaris 2: Tea and Crumpets with my Gran(d) Strategy

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Starting my first game since before hive minds, anything I should look out for? There are so many dang civics, which ones are good? Are missiles still super cruddy?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The mining civic is probably the best, at least starting out. Missiles are better, but still get countered pretty hard if your enemy has point defense on their ships.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

gowb posted:

Starting my first game since before hive minds, anything I should look out for? There are so many dang civics, which ones are good? Are missiles still super cruddy?

If you have no idea what you're doing, +Minerals and -Building Cost are both good simple picks. Personally I loving love Inwards Perfection; no entanglements, and if you find yourself short on living space, the Cleanse Wargoal will make you some more.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

If you have no idea what you're doing, +Minerals and -Building Cost are both good simple picks. Personally I loving love Inwards Perfection; no entanglements, and if you find yourself short on living space, the Cleanse Wargoal will make you some more.

Like I said I played a lot before the update that added hive minds. Seems like there are robot civs now, is that goon who made a million robot portraits sad about all the work he wasted?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The game seems extremely hard for some reason now. I used to be able to fight the AI pretty well, but every single game now, it seems like I get into a tussle with an evenly-matched AI empire, get my rear end handed to me in the first fight, and then am unable to build ships at a fast enough rate to compete with them from then on. I'm playing as a Devouring Swarm, on normal difficulty. I feel like my mineral income is pretty good -- something like +300 a month by 2270 or so -- but my ships constantly get completely creamed when it comes to combat. I try to follow the rock-paper-scissors balance -- but what am I expected to do when they bring disrupters and plasma to a fight? Shields get melted by the disrupters and plasma melts armor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If you get into a fight with an evenly-matched AI empire, who wins is a toss-up. To win wars, have a bigger fleet than your opponent and start building more ships the moment war starts. Worry less about having better ships and worry more about having more ships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

The game seems extremely hard for some reason now. I used to be able to fight the AI pretty well, but every single game now, it seems like I get into a tussle with an evenly-matched AI empire, get my rear end handed to me in the first fight, and then am unable to build ships at a fast enough rate to compete with them from then on. I'm playing as a Devouring Swarm, on normal difficulty. I feel like my mineral income is pretty good -- something like +300 a month by 2270 or so -- but my ships constantly get completely creamed when it comes to combat. I try to follow the rock-paper-scissors balance -- but what am I expected to do when they bring disrupters and plasma to a fight? Shields get melted by the disrupters and plasma melts armor.

You should have an advantage because your ships gain a substantial firepower boost over any non murder obsessed countries.

But RPS balance is kind of a lie, you need overwhelming firepower and to lure the enemy into fortifications because they're cheap bricks of HP.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gowb posted:

Like I said I played a lot before the update that added hive minds. Seems like there are robot civs now, is that goon who made a million robot portraits sad about all the work he wasted?

Why wasted? I think he's just going to mod it so they are extra options for the new style robot civs.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Nitrousoxide posted:

How do you have 35 planets and only 100k fleet strength?

I'm 100 years in a game with 6 planets and have 75k strength.

I have level 6 space ports in all my planets.. I'm training as fast as I can at +450~ Engineering/Society/can't remember last one. I have 4 scientists constantly "assist research" on my planets with lots of science type labs..

I don't know how I can increase this more..

I'm not sure how many years in I am.. maybe 150?

Each of my battleships are Level 5 Railguns, 2 level 3 bombers, with 1 point defense 1 flak cannon.. they have 1500 firepower on them.. I have 52 battleships 52 cruisers and 28 destroyers (all my enemies have lots of bombers so i fitted my destroyers for long range and flak)

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Are fighters/bombers good now?? Awesome, that was a big disappointment when I played. I also really like the fact that you don't need a governor for each core planet. Seems like lots of good improvements have been made. Are military outposts still useless?

Fintilgin posted:

Why wasted? I think he's just going to mod it so they are extra options for the new style robot civs.

Because it didn't look like they used any of his assets. Fair enough tho.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gowb posted:

Are fighters/bombers good now?? Awesome, that was a big disappointment when I played. I also really like the fact that you don't need a governor for each core planet. Seems like lots of good improvements have been made. Are military outposts still useless?

Because it didn't look like they used any of his assets. Fair enough tho.

Forts are very much not useless anymore, you can easily crank them up to 10k power or so. They're still no good on their own, I'll routinely see a 5k fleet beat my 10k station but it takes them a long time.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Forts are very much not useless anymore, you can easily crank them up to 10k power or so. They're still no good on their own, I'll routinely see a 5k fleet beat my 10k station but it takes them a long time.

Yessssss paradox is the greatest, these were pretty much my biggest complaints

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

DrSunshine posted:

As a general rule, once you get your initial few colonies off the ground you need to max out your fleet capacity once you find a neighboring empire. This goes double if you're playing as one of the universally hated governments (devouring swarm, fanatic purifiers, etc.) because the AI is fairly opportunistic and will always build over their fleet cap if they neighbor a player controlled empire. They're also likely to ally up against you. Luckily, the AI respects a strong fleet and once you're large enough you can end up with relatively peaceful boarders in time with a big enough military.

As a devouring swarm to survive you must be constantly be picking targets rather than waiting for the AI to declare war on you. If you stumble upon a weaker empire the first order of business should be finding out what their fleet composition is (the AI in peacetime tends to keep its fleets near its homeworld or other core worlds) and countering that. If the fleet is out of sensor range you can usually estimate the enemy's tech level by looking at any visible civilian (science ships, constructors, etc.) ships as they will always be packing the best available tech.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice if they scaled to counter late game fleets but it looks like with the next update they may be addressing that. Otherwise, star fortresses strategically placed can massively slow down an enemy fleet long enough for your own fleet to arrive and massacre the small raiding parties the AI loves to send randomly. My only big complaint is that we lost the ability to place forts in neutral space or enemy territory to guard conquered worlds.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 23, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I was wrong: despite being inconveniently boxed in by the Isolationists, who loving annoyingly had both of the lanes from my spiral arm to theirs in their no-build DMZ (and then they let my Xenophobic benefactors colonize next to them, what the gently caress man), I had Synths 40 years in, Ascension and a basic Nexus by 2270, and a complete Nexus by 2283. Also got the Shroud Avatar, whose nebulous fleet power put me on par with all my neighbors as far as the AI is concerned, so my chances of being attacked before I build a real fleet just hit near zero!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fintilgin posted:

If anything that mod can be better because you can robomod the one with the heart pupil to have emotion simulators, etc. So it's not just a single shot all robots look like this specific guy type deal

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

gowb posted:

It also looks like military outposts are going to be radically altered in the next update.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DrSunshine posted:

Remember, your fleet cap is a soft cap. Your energy production is the hard cap. If you're about to start a war build up until your non-orbiting fleet is about to put your regeneration into the red, queue up a battleship/cruiser in each station, and then pile in.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Star spawn event is dreadful. 227k fleet of dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, carriers and strike cruisers laid low by two 20k fleets.

What can I can I do against such evil?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Star spawn event is dreadful. 227k fleet of dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, carriers and strike cruisers laid low by two 20k fleets.

What can I can I do against such evil?

Uninstall it it's dumb.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hnghh, first time playing since 1.4. Bought synth dawn for 5,60€ and started a Skynet game. First time I see traditions. The traditions have a text hiding the actual traditions. When I try to see what traditions each tradition tree gives, the flavor text always comes back to obscure the talent tree.

I'd like to see the actual traditions available, but I have to fist adpot a tradition, check what's available, load game and then adopt a new tradition.. repeat this 7 times and I'm ready to give up. Is there any way to get rid of the annoying flavor text? My ui scale is 1.2x.

I can get around this by setting ui scale to 1.0x, restarting game, loading the game, selecting a tradition, switch back to 1.2x, restart, load.. but I don't think it's any more efficient.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 23, 2017

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
yeah UI scale breaks the traditions interface, always has. Hope that gets fixed at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Rather than using the UI scaling I downloaded one of the HD resolution fixes from the workshop, that worked really well

• Locked thread