Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks!

So my shredder gun blew up some advent troopers near a VIP. The tile next to the VIP caught fire. The next turn the vip exploded. Holy poo poo Julian calm down.

The Warlock told me not to feel bad about that :haw:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Soldiering on with my rocky legend ironman game and I'm failing about 2 out of 3 missions so far but strangely feel like I'm starting to do okay. I have mag weapons reseached as well as squad size 1 and as soon as I have some alloys I think I might be okay.

I've lost two templars so far and they just keep giving me stronger replacements.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got a resistance order to never be ambushed on covert ops! I love how powerful these can get, especially compared to my mostly middling Commander ones.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Getting Death's Hand from the loot mod on my Templar turned him from a beast into a living God. Whenever things needed to die I hit Reaper and started murdering and never stopped. I finished the Avenger Defense in like three turns because Stormwalker tore through the entire enemy army in one long chain of slaughter. It was glorious. Also I just finished playing for 12 straight hours and finished my first WotC campaign, that is a good drat expansion.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Aw poo poo... I took on shens last gift before Ive got any weapon/armor upgrades and i only have a squad of 4. Ive failed the mission twice and havent even made it to the roof yet. I think i may have to scrap this iron man run and start over.
Also Im surprised it lets me replay this mission on ironman, thought it would wipe my game after a failure!

Tainted Ham fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 22, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That Diablo loot mod is probably the most baller mod out right now.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Which mod is that?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Which mod is that?

Grimy's Loot Mod. Its cool but most of the mods it adds are ridiculously overpowered.

Like he designed the 'legendary' mods to be roughly equivalent to a Colonel-level skill. So you get things like a Pistol mod that gives you -6 mobility and +1 AP.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There was a mod that came up with neat little "heavy weapons" that, while cool, simply can not compete with the reliable damage and cover destruction of a rocket launcher. Stuff like a rocket jump and a flechette launcher that bypasses armor on a single target. I don't necessarily mind them being limited to someone in power armor but allowing them to go in a utility slot for someone in a suit instead of going in the heavy weapon slot would improve it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Anyone else finding their mods aren't functioning correctly? When I try to load my game I get a bunch of warnings for all of them.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just in case somebody has HTML/CSS skills, I wanted to point out that I built a tiny website that generates random XCOM operation names (because why not). I suck at design so I used a pre-made Bootstrap skin. But if anybody here would like to give it a go and XCOMify the UI and make it pretty, that'd be great. The website is open source by the way because of course this could be useful for anybody who wants to put together a random adjective and noun. The website is there: https://rong.acastaner.fr/ and the repo is here https://github.com/acastaner/ong

(there's no ad or tracking whatsoever on the website so I feel it's okay to mention it here)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Samovar posted:

Anyone else finding their mods aren't functioning correctly? When I try to load my game I get a bunch of warnings for all of them.

this happened to me on my first launch after the big patch, just exit and restart and everything worked fine the second time

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Editing soldiers in any way makes me a save scummer when something bad inevitably happens to them. It's much easier to play a game invested in the big picture if you make your soldiers randos.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Which mod is that?

It's "Grimy's Loot Mod". There's one for vanilla, LW2, and WOTC. You also need to get "Mod Everything" (I think the WOTC version is "Mod Everything Redux" or "Mod Everything Again"). Loot drops from missions and also chests drop that need researching of 1 day, when it opens, you get to pick from a few random possible items - it'll pick 4 categories like... Medium Armor, Rifle, SPARK Gun, Sword. When you pick one, it'll generate a weapon and give it a name, and you see the stats. For example, I picked Rifle and got some weapon called "Queen" that gives the unit Suppression, and +1 Damage -5% Aim. I had a Shotgun called "Sandman" that had the first shot in each reload do more damage. I picked Medium Armor and it made some armor that gave the ability to hold 3 Medikits.

Also adds a bunch of upgrades... some standard, some cool and goofy. You need Mod Everything though because it'll drop upgrades for Grenadier's Launchers, Ranger's Swords, etc.

As someone mentioned earlier, it does make the game somewhat easier. I'd recommend bumping the difficulty up a notch. On the other hand, it feels fun to pick up a bunch of unique items and stuff instead of just "Advanced Stock" (vanilla items are still in the mod, though!).
E: Also in LW2 the drop rate is reduced because more enemies drop more items. You only get a Grimy like 20% of the time.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 23, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the only items I still can't find a good use for are the single-use ones fromberserkers/specters/priests and smoke grenades. I've been using vests pretty regularly for covert ops (no longer needed though) and on the Templar or Ranger when the Chosen appear due to proximity (and the +2 hp instead of +1 is really useful now before predator). I guess for me if I'm using those single shot things I'm already hosed or doing something pretty gimmicky. Smoke grenades are just whatever, but would they help at all at not getting flank-crit by the Hunter?

quote:

Editing soldiers in any way makes me a save scummer when something bad inevitably happens to them. It's much easier to play a game invested in the big picture if you make your soldiers randos.

One of my main dudes from the last campaign ate a crit pretty early in this one and I felt bad.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Put the refraction field on non-reaper or phantom soldiers when they go on covert ops with ambush chances.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I also tried the Resistance Firearms mod, which is interesting because it gives you like 5-6 new real world weapons per weapon category complete with authentic sounds, but it makes every loading screen seem to last 2 minutes longer on my game. :shrug: I don't have this on my SSD though. The best part is that the mod updates as you tier up in weapons, so you can say... use that AK-47 and it'll do 3-5 when you start, then when you research Magnetic, it'll jump to 4-7 (or whatever Magnetic is). You can use ballistic weapons instead of lazors the whole game if you wanted.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah it's very cool but the loading screens are pretty bad. I might not bother if I play another campaign.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Give the berserker stim to a Reaper and have them solo Facility missions. Optionally with a +mobility pcs or covert op. They can enter a facility, plant the bomb, and exit into an extraction zone in one turn.

Or give the stim to a Templar and have them do pretty much anything with high Focus. Their focus Dodge + the stim armor means that they're basically invincible for two turns.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

can i use mods on the workshop with the WOTC prefix in the base game? stuff like clothes mods, gotcha again etc

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 23, 2017

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dongicus posted:

can i use mods on the workshop with the WOTC prefix in the base game? stuff like clothes mods, gotcha again etc

No. Most of them will have vanilla versions though.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ah. Thank you.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Loaded up the new mods, played about 5 minutes.
Apparently my instant avenger menus mod was fixed, and is now causing a crash.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

dyzzy posted:

Yeah it's very cool but the loading screens are pretty bad. I might not bother if I play another campaign.

It takes a while... a long while, but you can edit the inis so only certain weapons appear in the game. I trimmed it down to about five or six that I really wanted to use and the screen loading is pretty much back to instant.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I just 'failed' a savage sitrep cause it was borderline impossible to make it to the hacking terminal within the turn limit. But 6 Faceless corpses still feels like a victory to me, advent can have their viper rounds and enjoy ploughing them into my army of mimic beacons. The autopsy was free too, so I can go straight onto plated armour.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jfood posted:

It takes a while... a long while, but you can edit the inis so only certain weapons appear in the game. I trimmed it down to about five or six that I really wanted to use and the screen loading is pretty much back to instant.

is there a way, by doing this, to ditch the 'standard' weapons?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Gonna go on a protect the device mission that I fully plan on failing, only because it has less annoying numbers of enemies.
The less there are, the more resources I have to potentially deal with the archon king that I just know is going to be there to gently caress with me

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The delayed evac mission is my new bane.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

temple posted:

Don't those only ever come up in sewer missions?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I sure seem to miss a lot of 100% to hit shots on Legendary.

e: Wow brittle chosen really don't like it when you rub SPARKs against their face

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 24, 2017

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So how exactly am I supposed to open these strongboxes and reliquaries?
Cause I'm getting 0 prompts in the lab or the proving ground, and there doesn't seem to be any keys to be bought.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So how exactly am I supposed to open these strongboxes and reliquaries?
Cause I'm getting 0 prompts in the lab or the proving ground, and there doesn't seem to be any keys to be bought.

They're opened via researching them in the lab. It takes your research slot for 1-5 days depending on level of the box.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

temple posted:

The last one I played I grabbed the VIP and immediately booked it straight back to the spawn point. The enemies spaz out when they can't get LOS and there's no way I was gonna survive 4 waves of 4 new enemies per turn in a straight fight.

I just set up a nice seige point near the spawn and killed the odd soldier that actually found their way down there until the evac point appeared right behind me.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Zore posted:

They're opened via researching them in the lab. It takes your research slot for 1-5 days depending on level of the box.

No I figured it out.
Apparently I had to enable them via a console command before it would let me research

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
In my latest LW2 campaign I separated my squads into a "International Spy Crew" with a bunch of slick operators in black from all over and a Psi-Op, a "penal legion" thing with a bunch of expendable guys in orange jumpsuits led by a single Shinobi Officer in blue like a cop who doesn't get involved much and just gives orders and scouts, and a Team America gently caress Yeah, which includes a red, white & blue SPARK with Liberty Prime's voicepack from FO3.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 24, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RBA Starblade posted:

I sure seem to miss a lot of 100% to hit shots on Legendary.

Can anyone tell me if this is a math thing going on? And is it new in WOTC? I missed a 100% shot last night on a lost, of all things, during a flawless plan which cascaded into an early evac to save my dudes.

I've never had to consider missing 100% odds in my plans before.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zigmidge posted:

Can anyone tell me if this is a math thing going on? And is it new in WOTC? I missed a 100% shot last night on a lost, of all things, during a flawless plan which cascaded into an early evac to save my dudes.

I've never had to consider missing 100% odds in my plans before.

It's because it rounds percentages up iirc, it's not actually a 100% chance to hit sometimes. I know that it's not literally guaranteed to hit and that's why, but it's still bullshit and getting dicked by the RNG has never happened in XCOM before. :v:

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The only way you're really guaranteed to hit is to jack that aim stat up, get that sicknasty 125% hit chance with 105% to crit

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, the mod isn't even remotely balanced but the second you play with it you realize that diablo loot is 100% perfectly the spirit of xcom and belongs in the main game more than any other mod that exists.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
They should just embrace the rookie death meme and make some volatile plasma weapon blow up in your hands. I also like the mod that adds scars after you get wounded for the maximum amount of time... there's another one that gives that soldier fake robot limbs. Never used it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got to play the Chosen Defense and it's probably the most fun mission in the game. I didn't have enough mind shields to cover everyone but it doesn't matter because the Warlock apparently doesn't have any sort of priority system for aiming attacks. It was made a lot easier by half the enemy pods just being chryssalids too. :v:

I'm about to fight the Assassin for the first time on Legendary on a retaliation mission and I'm not looking forward to the assblasting