Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

goose willis posted:

How decent are these boys as Valhallans?

Not decent enough for adepticon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
They ran a tournament both days this weekend depending on who likes playing on different days, I hear the winner tonight was an admech list with cawl and a bunch of knights, not sure of the details

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JoshTheStampede posted:

Similarly, without commisars that actually work well on them, I can't see any reason to take conscripts over Infantry squads at all. They hit on 5s, waste half your orders, and will get morale'd off the table quickly.

That's kind of the point, isn't it? That you'd probably, in most cases, rather have line infantry?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Liquid Communism posted:

That's kind of the point, isn't it? That you'd probably, in most cases, rather have line infantry?

I tend to not want codexes with never-take options in them. Maybe that is just me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

I tend to not want codexes with never-take options in them. Maybe that is just me.

It's not a never-take option. It's just no longer an auto-include, in a codex with a lot of really strong options.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Conscripts seem like they're still plenty useful for trapping your opponents in cc by wrapping around them. There is always going to be a use for more bodies. If anything, this change makes standard Guard Infantry less of a trap choice, by nerfing their primary competitor.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

It's not a never-take option. It's just no longer an auto-include, in a codex with a lot of really strong options.

autoincludes are as bad as nevertakes when it comes to game design hth

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LordAba posted:

Everyone says "beer and chips" game, then whip out the laser pointer and measure each loving nano-meter during combat to squeeze out every last bit of movement. Fiddly and annoying.

Honestly, the fiddliness of pile-ins and consolidations is my least favorite part of the game. I wouldn't mind if it was just a straight up 3 inch move, rather than the current rather absurd state it's in.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Could have done move stats +d6. For terminators thats still asking for a 4+ on 1 d6. But god forbid supposedly fast things with jet packs strapped to them get into shocking melee engagements. Before the enemy shuffles off an they get shot down. Also suffering through overwatch with potentially auto hit guns.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Bee posted:

Honestly, the fiddliness of pile-ins and consolidations is my least favorite part of the game. I wouldn't mind if it was just a straight up 3 inch move, rather than the current rather absurd state it's in.

This is basically how everyone I know plays, with the caveat that we all agree not to do pile-ins if your model is already in contact with an enemy model. Otherwise go nuts, measuring 1/16ths of an inch is dumb and bad.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The people who need to measure every single thing with utmost precision are the people you do not want to play with

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

Sure, which explains why so many people who don't play optimally or ever have an intention of winning the thing or at least placing highly take part. I guess when I say "casual" I really mean the CAAC types who profess to hate tournaments, who obsess over what things are OP and why taking X option makes you a bad person. It seems like they'd be much happier with a different type of gaming, but they seem more interested in making sure no one else gets to play in a way they dislike.

I guess this is a proxy for all human behaviour.

Look dawg, I played the narrative tourney and nobody brought a bullhit list. Admech pklayer skipped Cawl. Primaris player skipped Bobby. Guard was optimal, Traitor Guard was slightly less so. I didn't see an actual character.

Git gud [at registration]

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Be lovely to one another.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

StuG Jeebus posted:

In it's latest edition Warmachine just dumped break tests completely, and literally no one misses it.
Because no one plays Warmachine anymore? :v:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

:golfclap:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

autoincludes are as bad as nevertakes when it comes to game design hth

So...you agree with him that the change is good?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If I can ask a more general question, how would 8th edition play in casual 3 to 4 player battles with around 500 points per side? My friends are getting really in to the fluff, and Im wondering if the current rules would make for fun multiplayer games at small points levels.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Booyah- posted:

If I can ask a more general question, how would this game play in casual 3 to 4 player battles with around 500 points per side? My friends are getting really in to the fluff, and Im wondering if the current rules would make for fun multiplayer games at small points levels.

The Start Collecting boxes are all roughly 500 points, give or take so it'd probably make a decent skirmish game to let beginners dip their toes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Start Collecting boxes are all roughly 500 points, give or take so it'd probably make a decent skirmish game to let beginners dip their toes.

Do you think there's enough interesting tactical decisions at that level though? That's mainly my concern because I doubt our armies would grow beyond a starting box or two.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think you wanna try and do 1000 if you wanna get to anything interesting but I think everyone's going to have different ideas of what "interesting" means.

If you want to do small scale games like that and are worried about tactical limitations, Heralds of Ruin might be a good choice.

http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.com/p/kill-team-rules.html

It's a "kill team" game with a fan ruleset a bit better suited to small scale skirmishes. Just note you are going to need a lot of terrain for it to work.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Do you think the Avatar of Khaine is worth 250 points? He got a lot of indirect buffs, including the new psychic power Quicken from the Runes of Battle. I have a "new" unassembled metal one and I'm thinking about running him in a list.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 23, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I think that all the 8th ed rule changes have been cool and good! I think that the 8th ed rules in general are cool and good.

The change to conscripts is totally merited and means that they have a much more clearly defined role: Meatshields and objective campers, which can be situationally greatly improved with leader buffs.

After any nerf, every community ever falls over themselves to never use the nerfed unit again. It's usually a mistake; a lot of the time the unit just clicks into a different role. If you need to spread out a couple of conscript conga lines to deny deep strikes, catch charges, and cover objectives in bodies they're still eminently serviceable for their price. You don't even need to give them commissar backup to have them fulfill those roles! A squad of 20 is like 60 points and can survive two turns of ten non-rapid fire marine shooting easily which is an entirely valid thing to spend 60 points on.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

New day, new pretentious Dakka wanker

quote:

I think that as something goes from a niche market, to the broader appeal that GW has been experiencing, they can bring more people into the "game" by simplifying the hobby aspect. And as someone who got into the game because of the lore & the hobby, the game is just slowly dieing to me.

It reminds me of what happened to LEGO. It use to be an imaginative toy where you created the world. But then everything became a specialized piece and themed set.

There are a lot of signs the GW has changed over the years, but I think the nail in the conversion coffin was the stupid Alpha marines. For a long time the gold standard for conversion work in difficulty and impressiveness was true-scale marines. The fact that GW saw that and decided to kill off that trend with a profit idea is what signaled the end of conversions in my mind (people will always still shoot with film cameras, but the prevalence of these individuals diminishes into an obscurity as the industry decides which route is most profitable). I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of my army is unplayable by modern standards because it's so old.

Grav-tanks? Give me a break, I'll go play with my deodorant tank in the corner. TBH I'm surprised we've yet to see pre-painted models yet. But I think that so many painting companies sprang up in the last 10 years is also a good indicator of where the "hobby" has been going.

People posting about how difficult or annoying it is to assemble or paint a model just don't get the point and origins of the hobby, which again means I've just aged myself out of the game. And that's fine too. I get it, GW wants to make cash, the best way to do that is to sell out to everyone, not just your original niche customer base.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hixson posted:

Not decent enough for adepticon

Valhallans aren't a FW army.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

More proof that 'true-scalers' are insufferable twats. We should forward some of this poo poo to Duke Amiel du Hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr80dducu80

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

Beyond the general tone, or the bizarrely self centred and negative conclusion that bigger space marines were produced to punish a statistically insignificant few converters rather than filling the same need they were converting for (better scaled marines) . . . why is game in air quotes? Is it not a game?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Valhallans aren't a FW army.

Even then, I haven't read the IG Codex, aren't the DKoK in there now, too?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

More proof that 'true-scalers' are insufferable twats. We should forward some of this poo poo to Duke Amiel du Hardcore.

Well this is a badcast segment waiting to happen. Postian Von Highlordington reads forums so we plebs don't have to.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Genghis Cohen posted:

Beyond the general tone, or the bizarrely self centred and negative conclusion that bigger space marines were produced to punish a statistically insignificant few converters rather than filling the same need they were converting for (better scaled marines) . . . why is game in air quotes? Is it not a game?

IT'S A LIFESTYLE, PUP!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think you wanna try and do 1000 if you wanna get to anything interesting but I think everyone's going to have different ideas of what "interesting" means.

If you want to do small scale games like that and are worried about tactical limitations, Heralds of Ruin might be a good choice.

http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.com/p/kill-team-rules.html

It's a "kill team" game with a fan ruleset a bit better suited to small scale skirmishes. Just note you are going to need a lot of terrain for it to work.

Cool, I think if they like First Strike (which is mostly just enough models to push some plastic and roll dice) I will pick up Know No Fear. I don't really need the hardback book so Know No Fear looks like the better deal to get closer to 700 points per side or so.

My own army preference is ad mech and I have the start collecting box that was planning to paint up regardless. I may try to get that to ~700 points or so to match up.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

The thread it comes from is full of hilariously bitter gatekeeping. They really resent GW for making models to sell and trying to match up what they sell with what you can take in the game, because it was obviously much better when there was stuff that only "true hobbyists" could access by converting. Also, since the awful profit whores at GW have made models people want to buy, converting is totally dead, because if you aren't required to convert by necessity just to get half the options for a unit, then no-one will ever do conversions again.

Basically a bunch of people with no imagination who converted because they had to can't get to grips with the idea that people who actually care about conversions and making cool stuff will do that regardless of whatever GW makes (and probably benefit from a wider variety of stuff to work with), rather than because they're forced to.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

IT'S A LIFESTYLE, PUP!

:yeah:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Quiet, you!

Corrode posted:

The thread it comes from is full of hilariously bitter gatekeeping. They really resent GW for making models to sell and trying to match up what they sell with what you can take in the game, because it was obviously much better when there was stuff that only "true hobbyists" could access by converting. Also, since the awful profit whores at GW have made models people want to buy, converting is totally dead, because if you aren't required to convert by necessity just to get half the options for a unit, then no-one will ever do conversions again.

Basically a bunch of people with no imagination who converted because they had to can't get to grips with the idea that people who actually care about conversions and making cool stuff will do that regardless of whatever GW makes (and probably benefit from a wider variety of stuff to work with), rather than because they're forced to.

What seems odd is that I'm sure the really talented converters who have their own blogs and do exciting total conversion armies aren't the same guys. It's possible, but generally when I look at those the author is all enthusiasm for the latest kit release that has some new shotguns or pouches or whatever. I don't think some of these guys do much painting/playing/converting at all, just sit on piles of unpainted retro models and sneer online.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

Quiet, you!

What seems odd is that I'm sure the really talented converters who have their own blogs and do exciting total conversion armies aren't the same guys. It's possible, but generally when I look at those the author is all enthusiasm for the latest kit release that has some new shotguns or pouches or whatever. I don't think some of these guys do much painting/playing/converting at all, just sit on piles of unpainted retro models and sneer online.

Yeah the people doing cool interesting things generally have no interest or inclination to spend time on forums whining about how their fun is ruined because new toys mean you don't have to spend six hours per model marginally enlarging a Space Marine any more. They're too busy coming up with new poo poo they can do with the new tools available.

Like at the same time that Dakkaites are frothing about how converting is dead, the Iron Sleet guys are running the Thorn Moons Invitational which is spawning tons of awesome, weird stuff.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Yeah the people doing cool interesting things generally have no interest or inclination to spend time on forums whining about how their fun is ruined because new toys mean you don't have to spend six hours per model marginally enlarging a Space Marine any more. They're too busy coming up with new poo poo they can do with the new tools available.

Like at the same time that Dakkaites are frothing about how converting is dead, the Iron Sleet guys are running the Thorn Moons Invitational which is spawning tons of awesome, weird stuff.

How the gently caress did they come to that conclusion as a group? All the new evil monopose plastics are subdivided to such an extent that it's basically a sprue of individual details. My first thought building the apothecary was how easy it'd be to build all this poo poo onto an intercessor and make a cqb knife and pistol apothecary.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Insular forums like that just continue to breed anger because they push out any new blood trying to come in. So its just grumpy neckbeards sitting in a dark room griping about when the game jumped the shark.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Insular forums like that just continue to breed anger because they push out any new blood trying to come in. So its just grumpy neckbeards sitting in a dark room griping about when the game jumped the shark.

But enough about Something Awful!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is why the Warhammer Community site was such a good idea from GW. Because, until then, the way anyone got news about upcoming stuff was having to wade into those septic tanks of forums.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Honestly, the best part of GW's new online strategy is not having to sift through shitholes like Dakka to find tidbits on new releases.

The second best part is dropping by Dakka to troll guard players when their horribly broken rules are fixed within weeks of release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Chiwie posted:

Well this is a badcast segment waiting to happen. Postian Von Highlordington reads forums so we plebs don't have to.

:yeah: to both of these.