Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've grown fairly numb to many different kinds of twists, so by the time I get to playing a lot of games either I've guessed the ending or got the gist of it and so the revelations lack impact. An exception is if games do clever things, like Get Even has a Decoy Twist to keep the main twist a surprise - the twist that Black is actually the primary villain is easily predicted, by the middle of the game the cast have even guessed what's going on, or at least Red has, so the game doesn't even treat it as a surprise - it's just waiting for the show to drop. The main twist however comes right at the end, and you have no reason to suspect it unless you remembered stuff from hours ago that since got lost in the shuffle of All the Plot happening. By the time it came out I reacted to the reveal hard, because the Black=Villain twist had filled my mind so completely I wasn't even thinking about the other plot threads but then in hindsight everything recontextualised and it was awesome.

I guess my thing dragging games down is that more of them aren't more imaginative with their endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

muscles like this! posted:

People were lucky that Yakuza 3 even came out in America after the first two sold so poorly.

I can't wait for Yakuza Kiwami 2 to come out. I made the mistake of buying Yakuza 2 HD for PS3 (the Japanese version), and I didn't understand a loving thing that was going on (mainly because I read that my PS2 wouldn't play Yakuza 2). Thank goodness Yakuza 3 had the "what happened on Yakuza 2?" option in the menu.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Playing more horror games for my personal Spooktober, and started Evil Within 1, that I picked up from a PSN sale. So far not a huge fan, after the first hour or two.

The PS4 version is surprisingly ugly with jagged edges everywhere, and far too dark lighting, that they apparently try to hide with the film grain setting. The controls don't have proper inverse settings, just the vertical axis. And then the gameplay feels painfully derivative of various modern (or 2014) trends. You have your crafting, your EXP system, stealth mechanics are about throwing distracting items to get free instakill backstabs, or hiding in lockers and cupboards. Minigames to disarm traps (for more crafting components!) None of these matter for a horror experience, why are they here?

(edit) Heck, even the enemies feel like uninspired riffs on Silent Hill stuff.

Coming to this from the simpler but more effective (Functional? More clear in purpose? Not sure how I'd describe it.) REmake is especially jarring.

Attestant has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Oct 23, 2017

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Futuresight posted:

Oh yeah Witcher 2 Chapter 1 so good. Follow this person across the forest (it's jank as gently caress too even in EE, I got to watch her try to get up stairs for literally a minute and people you follow in general stop and turn to you if you approach them so you're constantly stopping/starting). When you get back follow this other person across the forest. Fight this boss who periodically has an immunity shield and has instant attacks for you to get hit by randomly as you try to get close to them. Oh, and you lose the fight in a cutscene.

Now follow this guy back to town from the other side of the forest.

That's the stuff game. This is the poo poo I like to complain about. So far my verdict is Witcher 1 is better and Witcher 2 is skippable and I probably would skip it if I didn't like picking at games as I play them almost as much as playing them for fun. Still, hopefully it picks up in Chapter 2.

Witcher 2 gets a lot better mid-game or so. Or when you get out of Flotsom maybe. Been a while since I played it but I was really happy with it by the end.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dkj posted:

Witcher 2 gets a lot better mid-game or so. Or when you get out of Flotsom maybe. Been a while since I played it but I was really happy with it by the end.

I had the exact opposite take-away. The combat goes from excruciatingly difficult to trivial mid act 2 and act 3 is so rushed (to compensate for act 2 literally being divided in half per your choices in act 1) that I just had a sour after-taste walking away from the entire thing.

Act 1 is proto Witcher 3 but with worse combat.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
None of the Witcher games have great combat. In theory they're about being difficult and requiring you to abuse traps and potions to get ahead, but in basically all 3 games they're too floaty and detached from the gameplay to feel like skill.

I guess I like them because Geralt is a likeable protagonist and the world is filled with interesting and amusing people. The moral choices feel more gray than your average RPG, although like any game touting moral choices I dont reccomend playing more than once, lest you break the illusion. Act 2 of Witcher 2 is probably the only huge shift I've ever seen in a game like this, since the entire hub area is different depending on who you side with, but you are ushered into the same (very short) Act 3 no matter what you do.

I'm probably not doing very well at selling these games since I really do love them a lot. I guess what I'm saying is if you don't find the character's charming you probably won't get much out of the experience.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What makes Witcher 3 C&C work is that it's incredibly simple. You have a situation and you take option A,B, or C. There is a consequence to these options that either happens either immediately or much later. There is no need for Karma points, no Dark Side/ Light Side, no Paragon/Renegade, no Dungeons and Dragons alignment poo poo. You just take an action and a consequence arises. You broke this guy's leg? No club-house for you. Turned a tree into a horse? This guy hangs himself. Took one side of an argument? Both outcomes kinda suck. The XP and items you get from these quests are never the point.

Really the only point-based Morality system that really works is the Reputation systems from New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, since they don't measure morality at all, instead they measure how much a person or group likes you which is easily to visualize.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I think the Witcher-series (and especially 3) benefit from Geralt being a pre-written character with an already established personality. No hamfisted good vs. evil versions of Geralt. Just different shades of grey, an outsider perspective to the world (both in and out of character), and just a possibility to interpret their Geralt in a certain way.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Attestant posted:

Playing more horror games for my personal Spooktober, and started Evil Within 1, that I picked up from a PSN sale. So far not a huge fan, after the first hour or two.

The PS4 version is surprisingly ugly with jagged edges everywhere, and far too dark lighting, that they apparently try to hide with the film grain setting. The controls don't have proper inverse settings, just the vertical axis. And then the gameplay feels painfully derivative of various modern (or 2014) trends. You have your crafting, your EXP system, stealth mechanics are about throwing distracting items to get free instakill backstabs, or hiding in lockers and cupboards. Minigames to disarm traps (for more crafting components!) None of these matter for a horror experience, why are they here?

It's not a horror game. It's action-horror. It's why Resident Evil 5 and 6 didn't try and be scary. It doesn't work. Also it's a really bad game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Attestant posted:

(edit) Heck, even the enemies feel like uninspired riffs on Silent Hill stuff.

Coming to this from the simpler but more effective (Functional? More clear in purpose? Not sure how I'd describe it.) REmake is especially jarring.

The booby traps are just so painfully wrongheaded on every level, I dropped that game like a hot iron the second or third time I lost like 15-20 minutes of progress because I was insta-gibbed by failing the QTE of some booby trap I had no way of seeing ahead of time. The stealth elements exacerbate it because at least in the first few levels I played they encourage you slowly and methodically sneaking around areas and distracting enemies with thrown objects and doing stealth kills since just running and gunning isn't super viable so there's a ton of downtime and tedium to relive when you're killed.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Guy Mann posted:

The booby traps are just so painfully wrongheaded on every level, I dropped that game like a hot iron the second or third time I lost like 15-20 minutes of progress because I was insta-gibbed by failing the QTE of some booby trap I had no way of seeing ahead of time. The stealth elements exacerbate it because at least in the first few levels I played they encourage you slowly and methodically sneaking around areas and distracting enemies with thrown objects and doing stealth kills since just running and gunning isn't super viable so there's a ton of downtime and tedium to relive when you're killed.

The last thing I did before quitting last night was getting blown apart by the same bomb twice. First I walked fairly close to it, though that if I just stopped while it's still beeping I'll be fine.

Then when I walked back after reloading, I failed the minigame by pixels.

And went to play something else.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Arkham Knight is really dragged down by the fact that my save has been corrupted, twice, and there's no manual save option. What the gently caress.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
enter the gungeon is still suck incarnate.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

spit on my clit posted:

I bounced off it HARD at first, but honestly thought the Supply Drop update fixed a lot of problems I had with the game. The first iteration of the game seemed to actively keep you from getting or using the guns that are the whole point of the game, but the update improved drop rates and ensured that if you hadnt picked up a key by the time you found a shop there would be a key available for sale. Then I started getting guns that let me do well enough to unlock more poo poo, and some of the poo poo I unlocked let me do better than I had before and so on and so forth. Eventually I actually got good enough at the game that I didnt need to luck into an overpowered gun to do reasonably well. Never completed the thing right enough, probably never will, but ended up getting enough fun out of it that I'm happy I bought it.

Having said that, still not a perfect game. Off the top of my head; 1) you get an item that gives +1 heart container if you beat a boss without taking a hit. So if you are good at the game you get an item that means you'll live longer. This was rear end-backwards when I started playing and was poo poo and remains rear end-backwards now I'm good enough to sometimes get the item from each of the first three floors. 2) Some of the guns are loving terrible, or are basically traps for one reason or another (ridiculous load times and so on) 3) there are a few things that have special interactions with other items... but there are so many items and guns that the chances are you'l never see any of those interactions. and 4) If more of the good items were unlocked at the start I might have had a decent run sooner than I did and not bounced off the game so hard.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

spit on my clit posted:

yeah this game is terrible and I'm terrible at it

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Enter the Gungeon takes a while to really click. I never managed to kill the Dragun until I was something like 40 hours in, now I've put ~200 hours in and can generally chain Lich kills even if I don't get anything worthwhile for the whole run. Biggest problem used to be getting screwed on keys, but the trick of not picking one up before reaching the shop helped that and there's now an enemy that drops a key upon death. If you're still running out, stop opening brown chests since they usually have garbage anyway.

ETG is actually really good and I'm eagerly awaiting the major update coming next year.

e: But since this is the "Things dragging games down" thread, I'll point out that a huge number of the in-game item descriptions are just about useless. If you were playing the game blind you would get an item like the Ballot and have no idea what it really did. You have to go on the Gungeon Wiki to find out that it increases coolness by 3, then click through further to find out what coolness does. A lot of fundamental game aspects just aren't really explained at all.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Oct 23, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think my problem is more the game expecting me to have three blanks, three keys, 120 bullets, and like ten of the boss-bucks for the loving elevator, because even though I didnt buy anything, I only had 108 bullets for it after clearing out both the first and second floors. Apparently they're going to make the game less stingy about everything in the next update

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shadow of Mordor keeps launching on the wrong monitor. Even after I tell it to switch, readjust the resolution and exit out. I have to change which monitor its on every single time I launch it.

Also I was finding the game really easy so I decided to do an online vendetta against an Orc that had apparently killed someone 14 times. He had a trait that was like 'excellent fighter' so I got all hyped up to fight him. He died in like 10 seconds??? I don't know if the game scales the Vendettas to your level or the guy that died 14 times was just that bad or what. The objective to get the Orc to reveal himself (kill 3 Caragors) was harder than the actual fight.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

All of the percentage bonus poo poo from gems in shadow of war should have been removed completely for a little more character ability tree padding. Like most people I did a couple of of the side quests and managed to fill out everything I wanted before act 2 ended. After that I was just getting the different variants of the bow or ground aoe abilities. Then it's just killing captains for gear which is kind of lame after a while tbh. I've never found so many uninteresting weapons and status effects considering the imagination on display elsewhere. The designers must have run out of ideas after creating the nemesis system, because the rest of the game is boilerplate.

Is Mad Max worth playing? I want an Arkham combat game without Batman, pretty much

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Shadow of Mordor keeps launching on the wrong monitor. Even after I tell it to switch, readjust the resolution and exit out. I have to change which monitor its on every single time I launch it.

What usually works for me is to switch the game to windowed mode, drag it to the right monitor and switch to fullscreen again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Penpal posted:

Is Mad Max worth playing? I want an Arkham combat game without Batman, pretty much

Mad Max is real cool and it goes on big sales often enough so I'd say yes.

The on-foot is obviously real close to the Batman fighting, but everyone's more unwieldy in a way that actually feels good and fits the setting, where Batman has clean looking combinations and kicks, Max has heavy wide blows and wrestling.

Also the driving and car combat feel cool and turning your ride from a junker into a post-apoc battlewagon is great.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Also I was finding the game really easy so I decided to do an online vendetta against an Orc that had apparently killed someone 14 times. He had a trait that was like 'excellent fighter' so I got all hyped up to fight him. He died in like 10 seconds??? I don't know if the game scales the Vendettas to your level or the guy that died 14 times was just that bad or what. The objective to get the Orc to reveal himself (kill 3 Caragors) was harder than the actual fight.

He could have been dying to it intentionally to power it up.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

He could have been dying to it intentionally to power it up.

I have to kill 300 million things every time I want to charge up.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

spit on my clit posted:

My main problem isn't with the keydrops/lack of ammo like a lot of other people. The thing that gets me CONSTANTLY is just how close to the edge of the screen I end up every drat time so while I'm dodging the bullet hell coming at me from the front reflective bullets/enemies just hit me constantly from the few pixels left between me and the screen edge.

Maybe resolution fixes sort this out on the pc, but I don't fancy buying it again after pouring so much time into it on the Xbox. (And there's that odd paradox. Why have I played it so much if it annoys me. I don't know.)

I guess I could "git gud" which, I'll admit, is doable. If I had more awareness I could learn to watch my back and position myself better and whatever. But the game unfurls so SLOWLY too. Slowly chugging across massive rooms scouring the last few rooms just drains me.

Also I might as well moan about Nuclear Throne as well. I really dislike the lack of variety in that game. The same bosses every run, the same enemies, the same guns. Maybe I've been spoilt by Binding of Isaac but there's what? 10 bosses each level and variants? It just keeps it all interesting for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclear Throne is so much better than Binding of Isaac that I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Enter the Gungeon is probably my favorite pick up and play roguelite. People moan about not finding the good guns but the thing about gungeon is you don't NEED the good guns, you can just kill everything up to like floor 4 with the regular pistol pretty easy and just save up even the lovely guns to start handling the tougher floors.

I think the problem is people expect it to play like BoI where the point is to pull the slot machine handle until the game gives you a win in the form of overpowered items (and you just restart the game if you don't get something good o nthe first two floors), but gungeon does the opposite. You generally aren't going to get anything OP and if you do it probably won't have enough ammo to carry you through so you actually have to get good at the game.

Honestly after playing Gungeon I don't really like BoI anymore.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Binding of Isaac is real bad. Gungeon is just flawed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeaaaah nuclear throne is a sharply designed experience that is good and consistent

Boi on the other hand...for one the sheer amount of variety actually detracts from the game. And there is zero enemy or level variety it's all Zelda 1 nes style areas with flies and worms and poop. Nuclear throne actually has good art and interesting levels/enemies.

Plus, the additional bloat of a bajillion expansions is terrible for this type of game unless you're the kind of player who sinks 1000 hours into the same exact game

Please don't put boi on the same pedestal as nuclear throne :/

God I wish I could replace boi on switch with nuclear throne...

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Binding of Isaac is real bad. Gungeon is just flawed.

I just hated how spongey all the enemies feel and how anemic most of the guns are.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Agent355 posted:

Enter the Gungeon is probably my favorite pick up and play roguelite. People moan about not finding the good guns but the thing about gungeon is you don't NEED the good guns, you can just kill everything up to like floor 4 with the regular pistol pretty easy and just save up even the lovely guns to start handling the tougher floors.

I think the problem is people expect it to play like BoI where the point is to pull the slot machine handle until the game gives you a win in the form of overpowered items (and you just restart the game if you don't get something good o nthe first two floors), but gungeon does the opposite. You generally aren't going to get anything OP and if you do it probably won't have enough ammo to carry you through so you actually have to get good at the game.

Honestly after playing Gungeon I don't really like BoI anymore.

You dont NEED the good guns, you can plink your way through the first few floors with the starting gun. But its not fun to do that. Particularly not when you are starting out with the game, nothing particularly great is unlocked, the game is being stingy with keys*, you dont know the enemy patterns or the boss patterns, and ou get your face smashed in. As I said, I bought it fairly close to release, played it for a couple of evenings and put it down because I wasnt enjoying it. Came back after the update because I heard it was better and actually enjoyed it.

Isaac has its problems (honestly I think the AB+ expansion actually makes the game kind of worse because the item pools are completely overbloated with items, a lot of which do almost exactly the same as another item. For example I think there is now 1 item that lets you hold 2 cards, 1 that lets you hold 2 pills, and 3 that let you hold 2 of any combination of pills or cards) but the slot machine workings has this going for it; You can get a great run which hands you the power to get further than you could on skill alone. And thats a great hook to encourage people to keep playing. Thats what I did at first, I banged my head off a few runs, then got a good item that let me survive longer, learn patterns better and get deeper, unlocking some more stuff. Now I can "win" isaac with most runs if I make an actual effort to**. I mean, I could literally say the same thing about BoI because you can very definitely get through the first 4 without any good drops. Its just not nearly as fun as when you get the ability to tear poo poo up. No-one bought Enter the Gungeon to plink away with the starting pistol, the whole gimmick of the game is crazy guns. It feels disingenuous to say "but you dont need to get to use any crazy guns!" because while its true, its STILL something dragging the game down.

*this has of course been somewhat alleviated with the supply drop update, but for a while this game was as tight as a dolphins arsehole when it came to drops.
**"Win" in inverted commas because I mean "get to a win state", so beating Isaac or the Lamb. A lot of times now I'm trying for mega satan or delirium instead, and thats not a given at all. But they are optional bosses, so whatever.

spit on my clit posted:

I think my problem is more the game expecting me to have three blanks, three keys, 120 bullets, and like ten of the boss-bucks for the loving elevator, because even though I didnt buy anything, I only had 108 bullets for it after clearing out both the first and second floors. Apparently they're going to make the game less stingy about everything in the next update

Eh, you get that eventually without much more effort than "play the game and dont buy anything from the shop for a few runs". Just need the RNG to give you a few random bundles of cash for clearing rooms, or sell stuff to the guy in the drain in the shop. If think thats bad, wait til you try to unlock some of the lower floor elevators.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Drunken Baker posted:

Also I might as well moan about Nuclear Throne as well. I really dislike the lack of variety in that game. The same bosses every run, the same enemies, the same guns. Maybe I've been spoilt by Binding of Isaac but there's what? 10 bosses each level and variants? It just keeps it all interesting for me.

Nuclear Throne has enough variety from one run to another that you can't just do the same thing every run and keep winning, but is consistent enough to make it intensely skillful, since unlike BoI there are no dead-on-arrival experiences where you get a bunch of bad drops in the first few levels and you're too far behind the curve to have any success. There are mutations you want more than others, and guns that are stronger and better than others, but I have several Throne kills where one or both of my guns came from world 1.

Nuclear Throne is pretty much the top experience for roguelites imo, I have hundreds of hours into it trying to grind out slightly higher scores. Getting into the zone and turning a bad beat into like six consecutive levels without taking damage feels so drat good.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Technically every BoI is winnable, the same goes for Gungeon. Thing is the runs where you have no firepower are like intensely loving BORING.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Crypt of the Necrodancer is the one true roguelike anyway.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer is the one true roguelike anyway.

I'm so bad at Roguelike/lite games but I own Crypt of the Necrodancer for the soundtrack alone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclear Throne, Spelunky, and Necrodancer are all perfect games. They're extremely good at what they do, and different enough that it makes perfect sense to prefer any of them.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Nuclear Throne is too fast and lethal for my tastes. It's why I prefer Gungeon for like 4 levels and 3 boss fights because it's much more tactical and calculated/slow. And then I hate it because it essentially turns into a bullet hell shooter after that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hogo Fogo posted:

What usually works for me is to switch the game to windowed mode, drag it to the right monitor and switch to fullscreen again.

Thanks, using fullscreen instead of borderless fixed it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
BoI is actually good, but it has also gotten less good with every new addition to the game. Especially the BoI: Rebirth expansions have been hot garbage.

Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ really bought in to the GIT GUD idea, and that the game should be harder and harder, while adding even more items to the already bloated pool. End result was a super uneven experience where winning is either very hard, painfully slow and tedious, or you're just OP as poo poo.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It has had the pretty hilarious progression where everything since and including the remake has been progressively more poo poo

Remarkable really. I played a shitload of it on my old laptop away from the internet and I managed to get my way all the way through the entirety of the game as it was with just the first expansion.

Still think it was a better game in essence than Gungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

While on roguelite chat, I just wanna bitch about Ziggurat a little bit. While I enjoy the game, there's a couple of things that annoy me.

1) By the time you get to the fourth set of stages, you start running into enemies that are gigantic damage sponges who are also really threatening. They're just a gigantic chore to fight

2) There's a boss called Mama Audrey which is a giant plant that moves about slowly while firing projectiles and spawning tentacles. You can only damage it when the flower opens but you need to destroy the spawned tentacles before it opens. So you only have a limited window to damage it but the during this window it spawns more tentacles so you need to be dodging them and most artifacts have really slow firing rates so you'll only get two or three shots off while your basic wand is like hitting it with a feather.
It's just a really badly designed boss