Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

I want anyone who doesn't feel like clicking the link to realize that this:

Was the glamour shot of the cooked steak that they chose. This is as good as professional photographers can make this product look.

That looks nice? Like if you told me it was steak I'd ask why you'd overcooked it, but if they're presenting it as a new food product it looks tasty

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeah, just looks like beef done in a crockpot or something.

I would ask why you chose to serve it on a shiso leaf with exactly 4 peas and a sprig of microgreens.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They're very important peas.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Two foods I didn't really want together.

More like two great tastes that taste great together

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

bike tory posted:

That looks nice? Like if you told me it was steak I'd ask why you'd overcooked it, but if they're presenting it as a new food product it looks tasty
If you ordered steak and that was what the kitchen sent out (and remember, it's supposed to be steak; that's the entire premise of the article) and you ate without complaint... I mean... I guess that's your choice? But it doesn't look like good steak and it doesn't, to me, look particularly appetizing.

angerbeet posted:

Yeah, just looks like beef done in a crockpot or something.
It's steak.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NorgLyle posted:

Man, if you think synthetic diamonds got done dirty by the creepy colonialist weirdos who run the diamond market just wait until you see what Smithfield rolls out the first time someone tries to market the first styrofoam tray of lab-grown sausage. You'll see more 'concerned' 'mothers' on TV talking about Frankenfoods and it will be another example of the capitalist ruling class laughing themselves to the bank while they harness the hilarious ignorance of the greens.

The moment that producing a pound of lab-slab beef is cheaper than from a cow it's over. All the time, cost and energy in turning cows into beef just being undone by growing it in a lab somewhere. Imagine you are a restaurant, or a food service place. People don't give a hot poo poo about nutrition in those places and you are going to try to drum up concern if their tendies are 'real' meat or not?
Cost crushes all and even if there was some sort of beef De Beers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

NorgLyle posted:

If you ordered steak and that was what the kitchen sent out (and remember, it's supposed to be steak; that's the entire premise of the article) and you ate without complaint... I mean... I guess that's your choice? But it doesn't look like good steak and it doesn't, to me, look particularly appetizing.
It's steak.

It looks like, uh, old roast beef. In no way steak-like. I have to agree fully with you there.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

NorgLyle posted:

It's steak.

Steak doesn't usually chunk apart in big flakes

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

NorgLyle posted:

Was the glamour shot of the cooked steak that they chose. This is as good as professional photographers can make this product look.

If they marketed this as shortribs I'd be convinced.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
If they would just market it honestly, it would be fine. Plant based meat replacement. Not "a steak" or "brisket" or "short ribs". I mean, come up with a new name that's a little catchier, but stop selling poo poo like this as something it's not, pretending the whole way. Make it it's own thing!

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

That looks like cat food, straight up.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would be ok with bad looking meat if they got the taste right and it wasn't full of bad poo poo like pet food standards.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's with the article they linked saying meat causes cancer? Given who linked it, I assume it's fake or incredibly misinterpreted so they can spread their own message.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's with the article they linked saying meat causes cancer? Given who linked it, I assume it's fake or incredibly misinterpreted so they can spread their own message.

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/world-health-organization-says-processed-meat-causes-cancer.html

It turns out that eating a moderate amount of processed meat every day, such as hotdogs or bacon, raises your risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. For comparison, smoking raises your chance of getting lung cancer by around 2300%.

Ziv Zulander has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Oct 23, 2017

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Everything causes cancer eventually.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Overall, the lifetime risk of someone developing colon cancer is 5%. To put the numbers into perspective, the increased risk from eating the amount of processed meat in the study would raise average lifetime risk to almost 6%.

Yup, there it is. You don't suddenly have an 18% chance of cancer, your already low chance is increased by 18% of that number.

I hate science liars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Like almost every "normal thing causes cancer" study, there's some evidence for it under extremely specific circumstances that can be created in laboratory research but don't really exist.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pft, next they are going to come out with a study saying that drinking a liter of whisky a day causes cancer.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/maullarmaullar/status/922297374440960000

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

NorgLyle posted:

I like how they're so far removed from normal cuisine that they think that steak is just a solid mass of protein, without any fat.

e: content dump

"Chicken fried bacon"

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Oct 23, 2017

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'd try the plant steak. But I wouldn't pay for it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's better than spiders.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

It's better than spiders.

So, how's it feel to be SOOOOO wrong? And a shill for Big Spider too?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Someone learned not to put melamine plates in the microwave

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
idk what melamine plates are but it sucks to know that there's a lovely brand of plates that I won't know not to put in the microwave until it's too late

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I.C. posted:

That looks like cat food, straight up.

Looks like stroganoff to me? Maybe add some mushrooms or veggies, but there's nothing majorly wrong with it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

g0lbez posted:

idk what melamine plates are but it sucks to know that there's a lovely brand of plates that I won't know not to put in the microwave until it's too late

It's not a brand, it is a material that can be formed into a resin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_resin

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

w-w-would

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

this is art

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NorgLyle posted:

I hope someone uses the tech to make more realistic chicken nuggets. I hate spongy meat.

Meanwhile, it's nice to know some one is getting use out of meh.coms ton of candy corn they're still trying to offload every other day.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I've made sous vided apples before, and they were amazing.

Bananas are good too, right? I'll add some bananas with the apples and cinnamon.

I forgot what temp I'd cooked the apples at, so I tried 75. It's like 13 degrees hotter than the chicken was!

I made 2 perfectly good apples into completely inedible hot uncooked apples in dissolved banana slime.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PubicMice posted:

I like how they're so far removed from normal cuisine that they think that steak is just a solid mass of protein, without any fat.

e: content dump

This person has their sexy wrong.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What is that...meat triangle?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Why do people keep saying that the fake meat will be somehow more hygienic then regular meat? Still going to be made in a processing plant with plenty of opportunity for horror.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It shouldn't have parasites though.

Meat triangle looks like a side of something with the fat on the outside but was possibly vomited on before putting it in the oven. If I had to guess it's pork joint.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bongwizzard posted:

Why do people keep saying that the fake meat will be somehow more hygienic then regular meat? Still going to be made in a processing plant with plenty of opportunity for horror.

Because they need an argument to sway people who don't believe that slaughtering animals for consumption is inhumane. Thus: "It's filthy!"

I did a longform piece on a local pork plant as a midterm project when I was studying broadcasting years ago. Looked like a normal production facility--everyone was wearing PPE, tools and work surfaces were sterilized regularly, and the company's rules for personal hygiene were being enforced (hairnets on facial hair, etc.). The inputs were sterilized at least three different ways before the first cut was even made. All in all, it looked more than fine to me.

Of course, they're not all going to be like that, but PETA and the like want you to immediately think of those grainy "hidden camera" films from the 1960s where there's blood all over the floor and nobody is wearing gloves and people are sneezing into product containers and poo poo.

Fake edit: Maccarony Chease test run went surprisingly well this weekend, so I'll set aside time to whip up the real deal this week (waiting on a delivery before I can start). I was originally going to do a joke write-up where I screwed up the ingredients and instructions in general but I got to thinking about it and decided it would be a neato experience to try to actually make it the way someone would've back then.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
"'Sheets of cultivated muscle tissue don't have colons' is a PETA vegan conspiracy. Besides, I did an ocular patdown of the butchering facility and it seemed OK"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

"'Sheets of cultivated muscle tissue don't have colons' is a PETA vegan conspiracy. Besides, I did an ocular patdown of the butchering facility and it seemed OK"

This is a great post. It's like you took everything he said and condensed it for us to laugh at more!

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
You've just messily slaughtered my lovely post, contaminating the entire thread!! Oh no!!

e: you're right

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Oct 23, 2017