Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Banana bay is the most fun a map has been in forever and ranks right up there with badlands, harvest, and Hightower. It can end surprisingly fast so you kinda gotta rush to roll out and be wary of spies and pros behind you.

Mercenary park is a slog though, it's OK if attack is on a roll and defense has to struggle to keep up but once defence is turtled up it starts to get pretty uncrackable without Uber and lucky random crit strings. There are some neat ideas though, the point with the catwalks above is pretty fun although a bit claustrophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

El Burbo posted:

Okay so airblasting people into death pits isn’t really feasible anymore

I’m sad

I dunno, I've honestly found it easier, though I still haven't really adjusted to how the new airblast mechanics work (they feel a bit random right now). In my experience people skid backwards and go right off the edge, as opposed to going up in an arc and having chance to strafe out of it.

As for the casual wait times, it seems to vary for me, but it's more tolerable now that I can just piss around on a 24/7 Hightower server while queueing. It's like warming up!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So googling around, a lot of sub-contracts just... literally do not work.

And once you chose one, you're stuck with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The menu doesn't even work for me in the first place. I click it, select a contract, and then nothing happens. Clicking to select the contract just does nothing, and I can even back out and pick another one and it just doesn't matter. :iiam:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had one, 3 kills with a single sentry, that wouldn't track.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

This game is so loving broken, in all the best ways.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Who's sadistic idea was it to make it so you have a contract where you have to extinguish 30 people with the new jetpack when 1) they've tweaked afterburn now so people are almost never on fire more than a second or two and 2) the jetpack takes about 2+ seconds to trigger, more than double that if you're switching to it?!

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 23, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually I wonder how long the Pyroland contracts are going to run. Just for as long as the Merc Park ones, or indefinitely? Will the new Pyro weapons eventually become regular drops? Will weapons obtained from the contracts become Genuine quality then? I could imagine at least the slap-hand and banana in Genuine quality become a slight rarity.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

Who's sadistic idea was it to make it so you have a contract where you have to extinguish 30 people with the new jetpack when 1) they've tweaked afterburn now so people are almost never on fire more than a second or two and 2) the jetpack takes about 2+ seconds to trigger, more than double that if you're switching to it?!

The trick is to get a friend with a cow mangler to light themselves on fire and finish the contract in the comfort of the spawn room

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Every pub server has 2+ heavies with 7000 health, mostly claiming 'it's a glitch' and getting lovely when you kick them.

Once more Valve have tested their patches to perfection.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
At least It's very easy to get them kicked, and they get extremely salty when you do so, since you have to spend several minutes in spawn to get to that level of health.

Edit: Also, you can still backstab them afaik.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Does the Kunai still steal HP? Does it give the spy all that extra max HP?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kunai caps at 180. What's the glitch?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

At least It's very easy to get them kicked, and they get extremely salty when you do so, since you have to spend several minutes in spawn to get to that level of health.

Edit: Also, you can still backstab them afaik.

Reddit says that if you spend enough time doing it you can make yourself unstabbable.

In either case you're right, best move is to incite them into a frothing rage by letting everyone know that he's doing it and to bring spies, and then start a votekick the instant he leaves spawn and schadenfreude taunt

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Xander77 posted:

So googling around, a lot of sub-contracts just... literally do not work.

And once you chose one, you're stuck with it.

Google less and play this f2p game more. Contracts are fine.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jinh posted:

Reddit says that if you spend enough time doing it you can make yourself unstabbable.

In either case you're right, best move is to incite them into a frothing rage by letting everyone know that he's doing it and to bring spies, and then start a votekick the instant he leaves spawn and schadenfreude taunt

How can that be? iirc a backstab’s base damage is the stabee’s current health, plus it’s always a crit so multiply that by 3. How can you outhealth that?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

turboraton posted:

3 kills with one sentry and "crit melee kills" with gunslinger outright don't work. But thank you for your valuable input.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

turboraton posted:

No, sorry, a lot of the contracts straight up don't work. For example, the only way to get points on the Direct Hit contract is to use the mini crit kill sub objective, since the main and first bonus objective straight up don't register.

Edit: Crit melee kills with Gunslinger does work though, I did it earlier.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

El Burbo posted:

The trick is to get a friend with a cow mangler to light themselves on fire and finish the contract in the comfort of the spawn room

I did this for a couple randos on hightower the other day. Hightower servers in general seems like a good place to grind out contracts; a bunch of people were helping each other out plus the usual deathmatch is great for racking up points. I finished all the pyroland contracts on it yesterday (plus some medieval mode to finish the hot hand).

Also, I can confirm the direct hit contract flat out doesn't work, and it's frustrating because the contract locks you into that weapon and it can't be switched.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dabir posted:

Kunai caps at 180. What's the glitch?

Eat chocolate, rapidly swap between GRU and minigun while you wait for chocolate to recharge. After 3 minutes you'll have 12k hp

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Xander77 posted:

3 kills with one sentry and "crit melee kills" with gunslinger outright don't work. But thank you for your valuable input.

Okay, I'll switch to "all the contracts I've been doing (Heavy/Medic) work fine".

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
So. Many. Pyros.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
They need to fix the engineer issue on Mercenary park.

There is a small room that engineers glitch (TP?) into. I think the room is to the right of red's initial spawn.

Engineers sneak into the room and build junk. Sentries can shoot out through wall, but nothing can return fire.

Anyone else encounter this? I unchecked the map because it was frustrating me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have to say though, all issues with the contracts and new bugs/exploits aside, the new maps and pyro weapons are a lot of fun. The jetpack especially is a blast to play around with.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jinh posted:

Yeah I had one, 3 kills with a single sentry, that wouldn't track.
iirc it only works with level 1 sentries

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So if you're having trouble with the 5 dragon's fury kills, on the last point of merc park, if you use the jetpack to jump up on the grates above the blu team's entrance to the last point, you can reach the final control point with your shots from there and nobody even knows you're there.

Oh and yes, enemy spies in your spawn sometimes because valve update.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

iirc it only works with level 1 sentries

Oh God no

Ariong posted:

How can that be? iirc a backstab’s base damage is the stabee’s current health, plus it’s always a crit so multiply that by 3. How can you outhealth that?

This was a reddit post that I can't find right now, and that sub is actually insane about the events of the last week so I should have included a big grain of salt with my original post,im not sure why I took it as truth in retrospect.

Someone said that you could get his health into buffer overflow amounts, that he was unstabbable at that point and could only be killed by out of bound kill triggers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

loving noob pyros don't know to airblast teammates on fire.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Jinh posted:

Oh God no

This was a reddit post that I can't find right now, and that sub is actually insane about the events of the last week so I should have included a big grain of salt with my original post,im not sure why I took it as truth in retrospect.

Someone said that you could get his health into buffer overflow amounts, that he was unstabbable at that point and could only be killed by out of bound kill triggers.

In theory that just means a spy could backstab him enough to overflow again back into positives and then boom. Valve explodes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

QwertySanchez posted:

In theory that just means a spy could backstab him enough to overflow again back into positives and then boom. Valve explodes.

I doubt that overflow would cause the spy's stabs to increase the Heavy's health, I think it would probably get rounded up to 0 or 1. Hope someone does some testing on this.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

QwertySanchez posted:

Oh and yes, enemy spies in your spawn sometimes because valve update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA5qFZjQjw4

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you stab the buffer overflowed heavy 3 times aeris comes and meets you in the spawn room and you hang out before continuing on your way to face sephiroth

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How do co-op / friends contracts work?

Also, does anyone in this thread live anywhere near the Middle East?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This is new to me

Hacker partied up with 4 bots so he couldn't be kicked.

Bonus: Jeremy was also hacking

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else have had the Dragon's Fury projectiles just stop registering hits? I was playing a round, and doing reasonably well, until I apparently started missing every shot. I even tested it on an afk heavy, and the shots just went straight through.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Ah they fixed the controller problem. I can aim I CAN FIGHT.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Dragons fury is so good holy smokes.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm glad we're on year ten and this game is exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The heavy bug is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNeVY_eAxzs