Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
and yeah think about loving martok for a second, and now think about the STDingons. tell me you're gonna find one, just ONE guy with a tenth the personality of martok in that entire gang of super-serious duper-boring full-mouth-talkers redesigned especially for star trek: crotch rot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

star trek isn't about really good characters any more, it's more about mystery boxes and really nice visuals

you're looking for 'Gotham'

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've only seen like the first two Discovery episodes due to travelling, but do the new Klingons even speak in the original Klingon?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chaosbreather posted:

star trek isn't about really good characters any more, it's more about mystery boxes and really nice visuals

you're looking for 'Gotham'

If you really want to watch Star Trek, check your local listings for "The Orville"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosbreather posted:

sisko is a commander because he was just some guy they wanted to run a nice, quiet station in boonies. when starfleet realises what they signed him up for they wanted to yank him and get someone good but the kai said no way, he's space jesus, you pull him and we are done. so he gets promoted in season 3 when starfleet realises that you cant have a three-pip whip basically in charge of the future of the alpha quadrant

Part of the promotion was because they got the Defiant as a means to have episodes off-station better defend against the Dominion.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Iron Crowned posted:

If you really want to watch Star Trek, check your local listings for "The Orville"

orville has great star trek-tier plots but not star trek deep space nine tier characters

i'm talkin garak, martok, ducat, alpaca, and motherfuckin damar

Ghostlight posted:

I've only seen like the first two Discovery episodes due to travelling, but do the new Klingons even speak in the original Klingon?

yeah 2009-on nutrek klingon has never been spoken better, with none of the constant pronunciation errors you'd find in even feature films, but it doesn't sound the same because they get them to do a different mouth pose and there's some appliances in there so it sounds way different and i guess they're trying to sound less like cool pirates you'd want to party with and more like indiana jones just-over-the-line-racist nightmare tribesmen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chaosbreather posted:

orville has great star trek-tier plots but not star trek deep space nine tier characters

i'm talkin garak, martok, ducat, alpaca, and motherfuckin damar

We're only 4 episodes in so far!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Six in I think.

Yeah, Pilot, Zoo Trap, About a Girl, Generation Ship, Pria, and Going for the Krill

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Iron Crowned posted:

We're only 4 episodes in so far!

episode 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJgdVLk2C2c

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gatekeeper posted:

i could have sworn that there was a conscious decision to make sisko start out as a commander because they were concerned about reactions to a black captain. and if the responses to a woman captain are any indication, they def weren't needlessly concerned. but it's possible this is just an assumption i made forever ago and convinced myself that like, ira steven behr or whoever said it in an interview

I think I read they basically made him a commander to differentiate him from the captains in the other shows. The concept being Kirk was an Explorer and Picard was a front line diplomat, both of which are all based around moving on from episode to episode as a new challenge arises, basically discarding what happened in the near past because they've already moved on.

Sisko though as a builder, he didn't want to move on, he wanted to stay in the same place and build something fantastic (which is why is came from a shipyard, building things). Thus as a Commander it emphasises he's not in his own shop flirting around the galaxy, but he's sat at home, building.

That could all be bullshit to cover up for racism though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How much of DS9 aired out of production order? I was watching on Netflix along with greatest gen, but Netflix has it in production order and they are doing airing order so it was different episodes.

I'm just wondering how often this will happen and if I'll have to bother looking up air date.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Good news everybody! STD has been renewed for a second season!

http://bit.ly/2xZ0yQE

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Six in I think.

Yeah, Pilot, Zoo Trap, About a Girl, Generation Ship, Pria, and Going for the Krill

Took me a minute to remember Pria, so that was probably the weakest episode so far, but yeah, you are correct.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We'll just see if cbs all access even exists in two years

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

Wow. I'm kinda amazed, because with all the bullshit CBS has pulled it looked an awful lot like they wanted that show taken out back and shot as soon as possible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow. I'm kinda amazed, because with all the bullshit CBS has pulled it looked an awful lot like they wanted that show taken out back and shot as soon as possible.

Don't underestimate the power of the Star Trek name, my dad subscribed to the service just for the STD. I suspect the name holds a lot of sway for people who grew up during the original run of TOS. People our age grew up on TNG+, and I think we're a lot less willing to pay for a new streaming service just for one show.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Automatic Slim posted:

Hooray!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't underestimate the power of the Star Trek name, my dad subscribed to the service just for the STD. I suspect the name holds a lot of sway for people who grew up during the original run of TOS. People our age grew up on TNG+, and I think we're a lot less willing to pay for a new streaming service just for one show.

It's got nothing to do with what fans think. If that were true, Firefly would've actually lasted more than 12 episodes, etc, etc :words:. CBS have gone out of their way to sabotage STD as best as they could manage since day-one.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's got nothing to do with what fans think. If that were true, Firefly would've actually lasted more than 12 episodes, etc, etc :words:. CBS have gone out of their way to sabotage STD as best as they could manage since day-one.

Or maybe Firefly was always a niche show with niche appeal that was never going to reach a main stream audience; whereas star trek has wide spread brand recognition and the JJ Abrams movies made Star Trek not Just For Nerds and now millions of people watch it every week.

Firefly's peak viewing was the same number of people as the country in question's magic the gathering customer base.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

Or maybe Firefly was always a niche show with niche appeal that was never going to reach a main stream audience; whereas star trek has wide spread brand recognition and the JJ Abrams movies made Star Trek not Just For Nerds and now millions of people watch it every week.

Firefly's peak viewing was the same number of people as the country in question's magic the gathering customer base.

Totally missing the point there; Sometimes studios just go out of their way to kill a show because someone with enough pull doesn't like it. Episodes get aired out of order, or it gets consigned to a Death Slot, so they have reason enough to legitimately pull the plug.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I did like that the Federation didn't actually make ol' Grim and Crazy a captain. He was a normal starfleet officer, and then the war broke his brain.

PTSD doesn't make him a better character, but it does make the Federation better. He's not normal, he's not okay, and they didn't promote an rear end in a top hat just because he gets results. He's literally having a mental health crisis.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

He's Commodore Decker without a Spock/Bones to realize he's gone off the deep end.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I was more triggered by the use of the word "loving" than the space queers brushing their teeth together.

What have you done to my trek :qq:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Why would you be triggered by the "space queers"

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I'm not actually triggered by them, Fartbox. My attempt at humor.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New star trek episode is good

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

New star trek episode is bad

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
this is not what this country needs in these divided times

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Its totally fine right now, but if seth grows the beard will the Orville get better

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Does anyone know what story STD is trying to tell? We're through 6 of the 15 episodes for the season and I still have no idea if it's about the war, this spore drive they're never able to use again for reasons, t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶r̶d̶i̶g̶r̶a̶d̶e̶ or Burnham's redemption.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Nothing loving happened in this episode. Nothing.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

we get boat we get go posted:

Does anyone know what story STD is trying to tell? We're through 6 of the 15 episodes for the season and I still have no idea if it's about the war, this spore drive they're never able to use again for reasons, t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶r̶d̶i̶g̶r̶a̶d̶e̶ or Burnham's redemption.

It's clearly about Burnham's redemption. Thing is, no one gives a gently caress about that.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
It’s about slowly methodically deconstructing the “leaders must take risks and be bold in order to win wars to keep us safe” myth and in that way it totally loving owns.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

STD is so full of issues where do you even start?

Why isn't our main character dropping harsh and hilarious Vulcan logic burns on the rest of the crew like Spock and Tuvok? Being raised as a Vulcan seems like a license to be a total prick so long as the logic checks out. Instead shes telling the annoying ginger about healthy breakfast burritos and the importance of jogging. :psyduck:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I enjoyed the computer acting like something out of Demolition Man when talking about how healthy the breakfast was. This is exactly what Star Trek should be like.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It’s about slowly methodically deconstructing the “leaders must take risks and be bold in order to win wars to keep us safe” myth and in that way it totally loving owns.

Holy poo poo is STD disrespecting the sacrifices and achievements of Captain Archer.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

numberoneposter posted:

Instead shes telling the annoying ginger about healthy breakfast burritos and the importance of jogging. :psyduck:

She may have cured lycopene deficiency in a huge number of sedentary CBS All Access subscribers.

Nu-Vulcanism is all about imparting health and efficiency tips out past the 4th wall, but indirectly.

Next week its a warning about replacing your dish sponge when Dr. Toothbrush has a problem with sudden mycelium die-off.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

numberoneposter posted:

New star trek episode is bad

:rant:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

numberoneposter posted:

STD is so full of issues where do you even start?

Why isn't our main character dropping harsh and hilarious Vulcan logic burns on the rest of the crew like Spock and Tuvok? Being raised as a Vulcan seems like a license to be a total prick so long as the logic checks out. Instead shes telling the annoying ginger about healthy breakfast burritos and the importance of jogging. :psyduck:

breakfast burrito scene was good and not awkward at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm the children's book they read in the Star Trek future: Nobody Poops