Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love the what I assume is the main character's floral pattern suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

well now I have to buy a loving Switch

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can't say that trailer did anything for me, though I also don't like mainline SMT much.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mainline SMT rocks and is way better than Persona.

Also peep that trailer :eyepop:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Healbot posted:

Mainline SMT rocks and is way better than Persona.

Also peep that trailer :eyepop:

:yeah:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

looks like our boy and his girl (or maybe you'll be able to choose your person? whoooaaaa) get eaten

can we get a Demifiend situation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like mainline SMT best when it lets itself get really weird, and that trailer looks promising on that front, so here's hoping.

Really gotta get moving on getting a Switch, though.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

I like my coffee like I like my women...

no thanks

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Harrow posted:

I like mainline SMT best when it lets itself get really weird, and that trailer looks promising on that front, so here's hoping.

Really gotta get moving on getting a Switch, though.

Super Mario Odyssey comes out this week good luck lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

[fake Rivia accent] my wife !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28XX3-2_uDw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never really got on well with the mainline SMT games because they're basically dungeon crawlers and I don't find the pure mechanics of turn based stuff enough to hook me without a story or characters or something.
That said the only SMT anything I've ever finished is the normal ending of P4 so.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Never really got on well with the mainline SMT games because they're basically dungeon crawlers and I don't find the pure mechanics of turn based stuff enough to hook me without a story or characters or something.
That said the only SMT anything I've ever finished is the normal ending of P4 so.
Yeah that's basically how I am- SMT mechanics on their own just don't do a whole lot for me.

I did like Devil Survivor Overclocked though and thought it had a nice little story.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Where is the Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE port

I wish this would come over to the Switch since it came out near the end of the Wii U's life.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At this point I think something like a SMT5 is a lot more palatable to me than a new Persona; the latter I feel like I've gotten fairly burnt on between the million spinoffs and P5, and at this point I feel like there is a growing gap between how much enjoyment I feel like I should be getting out of those games and how much I remember liking them. The flaws I brushed over previously seem to stand out more and more. So with SMT at least, something I can throw myself into that is pure mechanics/dungeon crawling hell, it almost feels refreshing in a certain way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I ended up not loving Persona 5 like I thought. I absolutely adore Persona 3 and 4 and play through those games at least once a year, but Persona 5 managed to just not make an impact on me like I thought it would. Mainly I just did not like the characters, other then Morgana.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I love SMT conceptually. I enjoy the gameplay and I love the demons, demon collecting and fusing more cool demons. But out of the ones I've played none of them has really had a plot that actually hit me and I'm still holding out for that game to come along.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SMT4A is my favorite JRPG ever probably, even though the story was kinda lame compared to regular 4. I loved everything else abotu it though, SMT game have, if nothing else, the coolest worlds ever.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I really need to figure out how to play Persona 2 because that game really intrigues me based on what I've heard of it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite SMT related game is DDS1 though probably. Even if it didn't have the demon collecting part. I liked it because there was basically 0 story outside of like 5 scenes of dialogue, everything else was just gestured out through the aesthetics and locations. DDS2 opens with a single cutscene longer than pretty much all of the first game put together and I fell off that one pretty quickly, but I need to get back to it. Maybe after Mario.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nina posted:

I love SMT conceptually. I enjoy the gameplay and I love the demons, demon collecting and fusing more cool demons. But out of the ones I've played none of them has really had a plot that actually hit me and I'm still holding out for that game to come along.
SMT and Etrian Odyssey games are the perfect minimal plot JRPGs in my view. The plot not grabbing you is arguably a feature, not a bug. That said I think Nocturne had a fairly interesting if simplistic/straightforward plot (in the sense of "Man gently caress all these idiots, let's ruin their day over and over again").

Nina posted:

I really need to figure out how to play Persona 2 because that game really intrigues me based on what I've heard of it.
It's easily the best written story Atlus has penned IMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I ended up not loving Persona 5 like I thought. I absolutely adore Persona 3 and 4 and play through those games at least once a year, but Persona 5 managed to just not make an impact on me like I thought it would. Mainly I just did not like the characters, other then Morgana.

I think Persona 5 ended up becoming my favorite because its combat is some of the most satisfying I've ever encountered in a JRPG, and I also ended up really liking the characters, but that's almost certainly just a personal taste thing. I've gotten a lot more critical of it over time, but that's pretty normal for me.

Nate RFB posted:

At this point I think something like a SMT5 is a lot more palatable to me than a new Persona; the latter I feel like I've gotten fairly burnt on between the million spinoffs and P5, and at this point I feel like there is a growing gap between how much enjoyment I feel like I should be getting out of those games and how much I remember liking them. The flaws I brushed over previously seem to stand out more and more. So with SMT at least, something I can throw myself into that is pure mechanics/dungeon crawling hell, it almost feels refreshing in a certain way.

I really hope SMTV takes some of the stronger aspects of Persona 5's battle system, like the streamlined menu system and fast, snappy animations. If it can do that and maintain that great SMT atmospheric dungeon crawling, I'm going to love it so, so much.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Super Mario Odyssey comes out this week good luck lol

Eh, I got time, really. This is Atlus we're talking about. SMTV probably won't be out in the US until like 2019.

I do still want a Switch sooner than later but, like, maybe early next year, after the Christmas rush dies down.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the animal crossing twitter is run by isabelle.... too cute...

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I hope since they seem to be reusing all the demon models created for P5 just with different shaders they can really focus on adding interesting content. I can totally go for a minimal story RPG if I'm having a good time with the core gameplay loop. Usually games like that, for example Disgaea, become excellent background games I end up playing on the side of more intense games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
P5 was the first persona I've played and while I didn't hate the non-combat elements they definitely seemed to inflate the length of game compared to the SMT games I've played, which themselves were already pretty long. That made things start to drag for me around the time where I feel like I'd have finished nocturne or SMT4.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

My favourite Persona game is Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

My favorite SMT related game is DDS1 though probably. Even if it didn't have the demon collecting part. I liked it because there was basically 0 story outside of like 5 scenes of dialogue, everything else was just gestured out through the aesthetics and locations. DDS2 opens with a single cutscene longer than pretty much all of the first game put together and I fell off that one pretty quickly, but I need to get back to it. Maybe after Mario.

I think I like that one because it doesn't have the demon collecting, honestly. Also the only one I've beaten.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Were you perhaps looking for the (new) Nintendo Homebrew Thread?

Super late because I missed this, but thank you! I didn't know that existed, but I am old and blind, lol. Cheers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I think I like that one because it doesn't have the demon collecting, honestly. Also the only one I've beaten.

The mantra grid is really great. I also have only truly enjoyed the fusing mechanics in the more recent games where you can use the compedium to search and make perfect demons without a lot of menuing/external resources between you and the final product. Felt the loss of that stuff big time in P5 after SMT4/4A

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I really enjoy the concept of VA-11 Hall-A but I really, really don't like the writing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think my baby absorbed my fondness of SMT while he was in the womb because he does some pretty good Agathion cosplay when he's all wrapped up.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Nina posted:

I really enjoy the concept of VA-11 Hall-A but I really, really don't like the writing.

It's bad, op

Also maybe I'm bad or maybe it was patched in later but I don't know how you put together a VN and fail to include text skipping options or a chatlog.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nina posted:

VA-11 Hall-A was a big fat nothing and I have no idea why anyone insisted it was good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

P5 was the first persona I've played and while I didn't hate the non-combat elements they definitely seemed to inflate the length of game compared to the SMT games I've played, which themselves were already pretty long. That made things start to drag for me around the time where I feel like I'd have finished nocturne or SMT4.

all the persona games are like that. they take loving forever to finish. I'm still only like 65% done with P5. I'll probably never get to finish games like Horizon because of it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked valhalla

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I own the Va11halla sound track on vinyl. Please line up your Biggest Gaming Hipster awards over by my bookshelf please.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What award do I get for my Persona 4 Arena vinyl

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Saint Freak posted:

I own the Va11halla sound track on vinyl. Please line up your Biggest Gaming Hipster awards over by my bookshelf please.

Tell that to my limited edition vinyl print of the Life is Strange OST.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't have any vinyls, just multiple RGB modded systems, flashcarts, and an expensive scaler.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I am unreasonably annoyed by there being a vinyl soundtrack for Va11halla, because vinyl does not suit the aesthetics of the game or its music.

It should obviously be mini disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My gamer hipster triumph: a Mario bandana

• Locked thread