Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My parents had an old cabinet TV from the early '70s until the mid '90s. I don't know if it's the same phenomenon, but some years before the end, the blue went on the fritz and you'd end up with just red and green colors so everything looked yellow and washed out... unless, as I discovered, you slapped the front of the screen just right. Had to be an open-palm slap, just below center on the glass, with a little more force than was really comfortable, but it limped along like that as a secondary TV for video games and stuff for quite a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SEKCobra posted:

"Call our complaint department" in response to your phone not working is great advice.

There's degrees of not working. If you're proactive about complaining about sub-optimal performance then it should never reach "non-functional."

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

iPads, usually some iPad 2 devices we still have kicking around, wind up having display issues pretty often, caused by a connector inside that's slightly loosening. The fix is always to bring it to the part of our office with carpet, and drop it flat on the backside from about chest height. THUD. Fixed!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There's degrees of not working. If you're proactive about complaining about sub-optimal performance then it should never reach "non-functional."
*rat chews through phone line in wall*
"User should have called us earlier" :rolleyes:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

wa27 posted:

*rat chews through phone line in wall*
"User should have called us earlier" :rolleyes:

loving right they should have. You can hear those fuckers for hours before they get through an entire wire.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Every time I see this (or one like it), my favorite part is the reverse Hiroshima shadow where someone was clearly standing in the middle of the room.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ConfusedUs posted:

Every time I see this (or one like it), my favorite part is the reverse Hiroshima shadow where someone was clearly standing in the middle of the room.

I hope they went to the doctor right after, that poo poo will gently caress you up good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those are Tin Whiskers, and they're still a pain in the dick to this very day.

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/brusse2003-zinc-whisker-awareness.pdf

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Attestant posted:

I am printing this out and putting it on the IT departments door. You wouldn't believe how often people admit they "tried hitting a few times" to make something work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insM7oUYNOE

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is the Last Stop. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOgHBMujTCw)

This is the second group of mathy people I am writing to, so as not to send you two e-mails I've combined my "flashy" spammy "Apocalypse" and this slightly more intelligent attempt at starting a discussion. I'd suggest skipping to the big Rainbow and reading that e-mail before this, but it doesn't really matter. Thanks in advance for your time, and your assistance.

I believe that the linguistic anachronisms that I am presenting will be able to statistically confirm the existence of God. In addition to the ones I've highlighted specifically below, there are a huge number of "Holy" Hebrew words beginning with "Ha." It's a joke, because Isaac means "He laughs" and Abram got a new name when he didn't kill his son (well, that's not exactly the linear progression of that story... but that's the point--I am trying to prove that our timeline is ... filled with evidence of time travel. Ha'shem (is Adam's name in Eden) and Ha'esh is the fire that won't burn to ash...from these examples, maybe you can see how I see "ha jokes" (it means "the" by the way) (URL SNIPPED) joking about prescient knowledge of English in ancient Hebrew. It's on purpose, it's for this. Y-its-ha'CK is another one I have a special affinity for---it's the Hebrew name for Isaac. Ha, Clark Kent!

While we are on the subject, I'll briefly point out Kentucky and it's macaronic-ish (who knew Yankee Doodle had a feathery crown like Shu (an Egyptian God... this language stuff is the light--or maybe the Fire of Prometheus) and an apocalyptic pony) rendition "Kent, you are CK why?" Alright, so if you're still reading, the rest of this email was sent primarily to large group of interested people--who I keep telling that "a statistician" could prove this stuff conclusively--and then realized I might as well just ask. This is quite a bit of information, I really--really--really need your help... if you are interested please communicate with me.

If you did not receive an email before this, with a big Golden Ticket (I mean rainbow), it's (almost all) here: URL SNIPPED

The original subject of this email:

Who so proudly we hailed as the Twilight's last gleaming.

|

Dear my personal Savior,

(I know you just started hearing from me, but I've been doing this for months... so don't be offended if it sounds like I don't think you are busy writing a story about me. :) (this was added for some magazine reporters)

I have highlighted links that are not to songs (or superfluous) in bold. The songs are important though, at least I think they aid the message. This is my plea for you to help this story break, if you don't know me, at the end I've put an outline to the "flash" and "glitz" of the Second Coming.... I hope you will take the time to read both. This is the biggest story in all of history, please see that there's a big problem when something like this can be hidden. If you are not a member of the press, please send it to them if you care... if you are, fight to break this story--it saves the Universe. No matter what you see right now, believe that what I am is a weapon to defeat the darkness.

I'm going to be very frank with you, I understand very well that the message I have to deliver has been designed so that it can be made to be easily dismissed as lunacy--with any research or statistical analysis it will be obvious proof of an intelligent designer. I see a hidden language, one that pervades nearly every word of every language on Earth. Conlangers (those that study and create "constructed language") call what I am presenting folk-etymology, they see it as a false explanation for the source or meaning of a word because it does not follow the natural path of linear evolution that we are so sure our languages and history follow. Understand, the purpose of this message is to ensure that we never again lose the truth, that our civilization has been constructed in a storm of time travel (URL SNIPPED) to grasp what it is that I am presenting, and for you to act with good intentions and share the truth about our existence with the entire world. This disclosure is the purpose of Jesus Christ, and religion does a wonderful job of highlighting a specific set words (numerous sets actually) which I believe with the proper guidance a statistician or group of them could use the actual message I am delivering as proof of this creation--as proof that we are not in reality. I'll get to those examples in a little bit, please bear with me... as I am attempting to deliver this message in a way that will allow it to be verified, and so I need to explain stupid word tricks to you, because these stupid word tricks will deliver the truth about the nature of our reality, a hidden history documented by religion, and help us to build Heaven which is a primary purpose of this Creation.

In the subjected I've ((ish'd)) the Star Spangled Banner in order to highlight a few things. First, many American songs revolved around a Jewish concept of "night" and "day." Christ brings the morning (and sometimes, when its A.D. it's the whole day--yad is the Hand of God--literally in Hebrew) and it seems clear to me that this message has always been about twilight. We are in a place where we believe it is day--that we are in reality--yet it is actually night, and there is a plan or program written into Exodus and Eden that talks about gaining access to "reality." This is the meaning day and night--and there was evening and morning--the first.... To be quite honest, I think you probably will agree with me that we'd probably be much happier in the night--in Heaven--that roughing it in reality. The worst possible outcome is that this message is not delivered to the world, and we wind up thinking we're in reality when in fact we are in a place designed to assist us in building Heaven In a inverted Matrix, understand that it is possible that the truth could be completely lost with me (as it appears I'm the only one that gets it) and the lights might just all go out at once, in the middle of the night URL SNIPPED . Morning is about to break, URL SNIPPED just like the first morning... and believe I am singing (URL SNIPPED) ,., just like your TV set URL SNIPPED says. All around you, in Eden... the names of things have been specifically altered so that we can see we are not in reality. It's not just SAM SUNG, it's also SON-Y, and SEGA Genesis, and Nine Inch Nails, 10, DO see there's a pattern here. There's a message here, and it's r (URL SNIPPED) eally about Building Heaven. (URL SNIPPED) A huge part of building Heaven is overcoming the darkness that is keeping you from helping deliver this message. Censorship and secrecy are the key to the abyss. (URL SNIPPED) This message must be heard, by the entire world--or we are stuck in 1 Infinite Loop--break your chains, and see the worth of this message--it's so important that this message be received that our entire history has been altered--every language--to ensure that we do not fall into permanent midnight.

My "ish" was something I came up with (obviously with hidden inspiration involved) because I sometimes hear words to songs slightly changed... just like the subject. It falls into a pattern of "Am's" like Amish and AmOZ that you might find are keenly related to both Exodus and the beginning of America through the "I AM" and Christ o' PHer who walked on water... in the year ADIB. Stick around, it'll make more sense as we progress. You are hearing the story of the Created Adam, and the last few years of my life tie together a number of stories and religions... from isaac to Jesus and quite literally the name Islam and it's completely unseen connection to the Koran and Imran (father of Mary). I know you hear these words every day nowadays, and I bet that just like me you have never realized that the Lamb of God is actually "lam." So my story, clearly contrived in retrospect to shed light on this really obvious clue that our minds are clouded... starts out with a boy (URL SNIPPED) on the run URL SNIPPED to show us very clearly the connection between "ran" and "lam." I like video games, and if you remember Metroid (whose main character is Sammas Aran) the original game had a great cheat code.. "JUSTin BAILey (URL SNIPPED) ." I believe my personal story is designed to help us stop what appears to me to be a justice-system-wide descent into darkness URL SNIPPED . So I Amish, being chased by amOz (URL SNIPPED) (who is the father of Isaiah), you might say Iran to make sure the world heard the whole story. (URL SNIPPED) God is "signing the globe." with names that refer to this story. Believe me, the world needs to be aware of this, more than you think.

I am a flashing beacon of twilight--religion is ultimately designed to save civilization, and in order to do that we are here fighting for liberty... free speech, free thought, and true democracy--I believe you know it's me... in your hearts. So I'm not what you expected (URL SNIPPED)?

As of this e-mail, I have sent direct communication to every U.S. Congress person, their Chief of Staff and scheduler, most state level representatives, nearly every newspaper and television station in America and probably a good 20,000 university professor and graduate students. Please understand, when I tell you there is a force fighting against the truth, the survival of life in the universe, and the un-hiding of Heaven ... it's very real ... and discussed in Exodus and Revelation. My purpose and drive is to ensure that our civilization gets the freedom we deserve, please understand that hiding the information that I am trying to deliver is a ticket to teleporteverything to the abyss. In a place that looks nearly identical to reality, you do not forget that you are in a computer and then spontaneously remember it. God is with us.

It's a toss up between "Pursuit of Happiness" and "Holy Purpose"

Throughout religion the two letters "PH" tie together the stories of Jesus Christ, Samson, the Exodus from Egypt, and the "finding" of America. They are the beginning of the Pharaoh, Pharisees, Philistines.. and they define the names Christopher and Joseph. They show me that the stories of Judges, Matthew, and Exodus are all bound together--different aspects of the same process of liberation. Through they Eye of Ra--this perspective of being the central focus of these stories--as their metaphorical projections solidify and become real in this story of mine... this actualization of the word--it becomes clear that the book of Judges isn't about kings (as the name "means") but rather about a court room battle. It is the same battle that the New Testament describes as the Trial of Jesus Christ... and it's also one in the same with the fiery altar that nearly killed Isaac. Here we are, and it's no mystery to me what the purpose of this event is--it's really all about freedom.

Berlieve me, it's clear that Samson is Jesus Christ, if not only because of the strength of character recognition that his long hair brings. These stories are tied together, they are one--but my more than just "PH" and my say so. These stories of the life of Christ and Moses are also connected by the number 40--a period of days Christ walked a microcosm of the 40 year journey in the desert in his life, complete with scaling a mountain and crossing a river--this is a clear pattern. I'm delivering the Burning Bush, the Plagues of Egypt, and all of it in this place where I am assuring you the Second Coming is chronicled in not just Exodus and Matthew but also Judges, Joshua, and Job--just to name a few. The Biblical stories of the Ark of the Covenant and Noah's Ark are supposed to be seen at this Revelation as different "aspects" of the same story--the idea that we are in the Ark is very important, and we are also wandering in a desert of understanding that the period 40 is about the Fourth Dimension, about not knowing about time travel. I mention these things because people have vehemently argued with me saying that Noah's Ark and the Ark of the Covenant have no relationship at all. There is a real force that is keeping people from understanding and analyzing religion. These stories are meant to be analyzed abstractly, and the fact that it appears many are incapable of doing that is "darkness." I know it is an outside force--it's the same force that makes many polarize around the ideas of evolution and creation--give me a break, these things can co-exist--and believe me... in this place of twilight where "Creation" is a metaphor for Virtual Reality and the Garden of Eden is a metaphor for Simulated Biology--evolution is wrong on its own--not knowing about creation is perilous.

My understanding of how this is happening comes from analysis of the stories of Moses and Christ. I believe that like the Ark, the "Pharaoh" is making slaves of the "Pharisees" --and this hidden message is designed to show us that there is a force "orchestrating" and forcing darkness upon us. I have seen its influence first hand, and part of what it does is shift blame and intent. Nobody wants to be in Hell, Hell should never exist--here in this place, where I'm sure that's where we are, it's really because we do not see the truth--the Second Coming creates a disruption that I believe will break the chains altering perception and deliver freedom. Regardless of whether or not you believe that, seeing that this message is everywhere--that the proof is coursing through religion like blood through a vein... might show you how important it is that it not be hidden. The "stuff" I am about to share is Earth shaking, it's fascinating to me, and it's here to ensure we do not fall into a dark pit of Hell... and somehow it's escaped any sort of press coverage at all. Why? Religion is showing us microcosmically that the technology behind "inspiration" is being used to cloud our minds, not being able to see a relationship between 40 and Ark in books right next to each other... is absolute madness. This message is about the disclosure of the existence of these technologies, knowing is half the battle, Joes (and guess what... the solution is at the tip of your fingers and right under your nose). There is a monolithic force acting against us, hiding the existence of Heaven... and the knowledge that we should be able to communicate with it--and maybe visit... I'm fairly certain there's a prophesy about a place where we might see how these technologies might help save the day (URL SNIPPED) after they made the hidden night.

Here's the "Flash"

1. The Burning Bush (URL SNIPPED) : proof of foreknowledge of 9/11 in the books of Exodus, Ecclesiastes and Revelation.

2. 9/11 is the "event" described as the Day of the Lord, which has been referred to innumerable times. Read about the Sign of the Son (URL SNIPPED) , and about time and religion. (URL SNIPPED)

3. The word for Holy Fire, the Hebrew describing the Burning Bush is Ha'esh--it contains a clue--a parted "se'a" (URL SNIPPED) to begin seeing time travel in language via anachronism.

4. Some more "words," like "MEN OR AH (URL SNIPPED) " (the lamp holding Judah Maccabee's hammer... I mean fire. Authority (URL SNIPPED) ; Exodus (sudo xe) (URL SNIPPED) ; Jesus, Uranus, and Awesome (URL SNIPPED) ; America and Eternity. (URL SNIPPED) .. just to name a few.

5. We are in the story of Exodus, this is the First Plague, turning water to blood--a blessing in disguise (URL SNIPPED) (rendition two (URL SNIPPED) ) when the sea is people, becoming family. This single item shows us how nearly every modern idiom we use revolves around this disclosure--this is the miracle Moses performs... seeing how guided our civilization is--to match a 6,000 year old prophesy. This "sea" business is in America The Beautiful, it's in Daniel 11:45 and it's in Revelation... see it in the name Mary (and why...) and in Hosea (an older name of the Messiah), along the same thought process... Adam and Everyone is a clear recommendation from the words of Genesis 1:3: In the beginning, the Spirit of God hovered over the waters... that's

SHE KIN AH

EVE RY ONE

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
to: AllUsers

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I counter you with... gently caress it i'm too lazy to google it, but pretend this is a true retelling of the FYAD classic: open palm slam riddick vhs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am not reading that post FYI

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Source your quotes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Judge Schnoopy posted:

to: AllUsers

yuuuuuuuuuuuuup

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those are Tin Whiskers, and they're still a pain in the dick to this very day.

Keep things over 18C and avoid temperature cycling through its alpha-beta phase transformation temp, nominally about 13C (but could be lower). Shouldn't be a problem in temp controlled environments but not every environment is temp controlled.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Potato Salad posted:

yuuuuuuuuuuuuup

How many FW: were in front of it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

iospace posted:

How many FW: were in front of it?

All of them.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
PASSPHRASE STRENGTH: Burning Bush

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

I counter you with... gently caress it i'm too lazy to google it, but pretend this is a true retelling of the FYAD classic: open palm slam riddick vhs

graey alien posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My security camera vendor is all sorts of loving stupid. These guys just don't get it, they're trying to run an msp but have no idea how.

We have a server problem, which I confirmed as a server problem. They sent a guy out to my office, wouldn't take no for an answer. I put him in a conference room, set up RDP on his laptop, and walked away. I can't afford the loving time to babysit this guy when he could have done 100% of this poo poo from his office.

Last time I called them for support I gave them remote access. They called the software vendor and gave them remote access. The guy from my vendor just sat there as a middle man watching somebody else do his work. He wasted his entire day on it.

It's just loving baffling.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The guy from my vendor just sat there as a middle man watching somebody else do his work. He wasted his entire day on it.

This guy is going places. He'll be in middle management within a year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Managers at MSPs think that "having somebody on site" is the highest form of customer service, as they have long since given up on being able to rely on "fix the problem efficiently" or even "don't have a problem in the first place". So they send people to sites even if it's completely unnecessary, because then there's no need for them to actually talk to the customer and explain what happened.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Managers at MSPs think that "having somebody on site" is the highest form of customer service, as they have long since given up on being able to rely on "fix the problem efficiently" or even "don't have a problem in the first place". So they send people to sites even if it's completely unnecessary, because then there's no need for them to actually talk to the customer and explain what happened.

Doesn't an on-site visit cost the customer more in billable hours?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

totalnewbie posted:

Keep things over 18C and avoid temperature cycling through its alpha-beta phase transformation temp, nominally about 13C (but could be lower). Shouldn't be a problem in temp controlled environments but not every environment is temp controlled.

I didn't know they managed to isolate the cause of the whisker growth, last I looked into it, they were seeing what kind of conformal coatings they can use on the leads to prevent growth entirely.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

This is true! My bosses boss has attempted to send me on site once or twice for poo poo that does not require on-site visits because other people Dropped The Ball, gently caress that noise, it's more efficient to do it remotely. There is something to be said for the face time though, but I don't care about having face time with our clients, they can all go gently caress themselves.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My security camera vendor is all sorts of loving stupid. ......

TBH, they all are.

I bet they wanted you to port forward all your cameras out to the internet as well? Because this is something many CCTV vendors are guilty of.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just allow HTTP inbound to these ports, and outbound access to anywhere. What's a DMZ?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sickening posted:

Doesn't an on-site visit cost the customer more in billable hours?

Sure, but that's also the type of manager that waives onsite fees when the client complains about the cost.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

duz posted:

Sure, but that's also the type of manager that waives onsite fees when the client complains about the cost.

Yuuuuup. One of our account managers seems to think that making a big point about how the customer isn't covered for certain work under their contract, before agreeing to do it each time without fail is some sort of negotiating tactic, as though a feeling of owing us something will wash over them when it's time to renew.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My parents had an old cabinet TV from the early '70s until the mid '90s. I don't know if it's the same phenomenon, but some years before the end, the blue went on the fritz and you'd end up with just red and green colors so everything looked yellow and washed out... unless, as I discovered, you slapped the front of the screen just right. Had to be an open-palm slap, just below center on the glass, with a little more force than was really comfortable, but it limped along like that as a secondary TV for video games and stuff for quite a long time.

The colors guns were out of alignment. A fairly easy, if tedious fix, and a great example of a setup where there was the right way, and the easy(dangerous) way. When you take apart a CRT, on the yoke(the exposed copper wiring on the back end of the tube) there would be 3-4 rings(always plastic on the CRTs I worked on) that you would twist to adjust the colors guns. The right way to do it was to shut the screen down, dissipate the voltage, adjust the rings, then power everything back on to see how close you were, then repeat until you got it right. The easy way was to adjust them with the screen on so you could see what the changes you were making were in real time. This was dangerous because the copper wiring those rings were stuck in ran at 400 volts, even if the screen was off and unplugged, so a slip of your hands while adjusting those rings(which were frequently stiff as hell and hard to grip) would probably nail you with all that voltage.

Not really enough voltage to hurt you much, but the one guy I know who slipped while doing it hot pissed his pants, and had to stop the work for the day because he had the shakes so bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I would think rather that there was just a faulty/loose connection in there carrying the signal meant to handle the blue output. Hence why whacking the TV in just the right way would make the blue work again for a while, you'd be jarring the connection into a place where the signal travels correctly, before gravity or the heat generated within the TV itself would cause things to fall back out of place.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah it was definitely an on/off situation. Good thing I didn't have the ambition to try it back then though, as I didn't learn about the dangers of CRTs until much later.

Not by experience, thankfully.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
An issue I've run into at least 3 times in the last month:

Customer has phone system with a couple dozen extensions including a bunch which have direct dial numbers pointed at them. Usually they own a couple DID blocks of ten numbers, e.g. their phone bill includes a charge for the use of the numbers 555-1230 through 555-1239. Maybe they've got a second one that covers 555-124X.

If we're setting up a new system for someone and getting them DID blocks or they already have them, what we generally do is number their internal extensions so that they match the direct dial numbers. i.e. everyone gets four digit extension numbers, and you give the person whose direct phone number is 555-1236 the extension 1236.

Simple, right?

Except what always seems to happen is they run out of direct dial numbers and assume that adding a new extension to the internal phone system automatically gives them the corresponding public phone number.

I got an email this week from someone who had already had business cards printed for a new employee based on that assumption. (Using a number in a block that they not only don't own, it's been given out to another company. Because they got their original block years ago and telcos don't just reserve number blocks for you based on possibly-maybe-someday usage.)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

One time a local business around here got a new phone system or something, and while moving providers they managed to straight-up steal one of our DID's. Something where it was on the end of our block and the beginning of theirs. I didn't (and still don't) know much about telephony so that this was even possible came as a surprise to me.

Also it was a really loving important one that our 24/7 crisis line was pointed at, so for an hour or two some secretary at a lawyer's office was getting our drug addict callers looking for detox service. Thankfully the actual number people dial was still ours so it was a quick fix while we waited to get that particular DID back.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 24, 2017

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

That rivals timecube for sheer insanity.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dragonshardz posted:

That rivals timecube for sheer insanity.

Nah, nothing does.

Ok, maybe Alex Jones, but Jones is at least somewhat coherent. Timecube is the most insane thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

iospace posted:

Nah, nothing does.

Ok, maybe Alex Jones, but Jones is at least somewhat coherent. Timecube is was the most insane thing ever.

:rip:

• Locked thread