Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The most useful tool I have had for weight loss is a kitchen scale. Servings are often listed by weight and when making prepared meals I know exactly how many calories are in the dish. Makes counting much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

Yes. A scale is helpful when trying new recipes but after I have made a thing a few times and know what I am doing volume-measurement has never caused an issue.

I'll have 1 tray of your eyeballed voodoo magic brownies please.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Dilb posted:

Even if you perfectly line up the stuff in the cup with the lines, those measurements are probably +/- 20%. Measuring spoons are probably worse. Even a cheap digital scale takes zero effort and will be better than 1% accurate.

It's pretty much this. I have all sorts of measuring spoons, cups, etc, but a simple digital scale takes out the guesswork when you need it. I got a good scale due to a weight loss plan. Then my dad (who worked for 40+years in a QA lab for a chemical plant) got me into using it otherwise. Mostly for coffee, where a certain volume of beans can vary wildly depending on how dark they're roasted.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I measure flour by how large of a puddle it makes on the floor.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Her 6.5 million subscribers say otherwise :smithicide:

Thanks for reminding me the End Times are upon us.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Karate Bastard posted:

Beat until squamous. Menaces with spikes of treacle #innsmouth
I would absolutely buy a cookbook with descriptions like this.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

lmao at this thread claiming that recipes are a stupid lifehack. What kind of idiot needs instructions, you just make the thing! Just do the thing until it looks like it should! Who doesn't understand that?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Here are some oldies.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Here are some oldies.

PYF Stupid Lifehacks: Have you considered lying or cheating?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

I'll have 1 tray of your eyeballed voodoo magic brownies please.

The last time I tried it, I messed up a ratio somewhere and to feel any effects required eating about a tablespoon of raw weed butter. Doesn't sound like much, but it is incredibly hard to force that much down and not have your mouth feel like a gross oil-sick for the rest of the night. According to my brief research, the baked good that uses the most butter by volume is poundcake.

So I made poundcake ware again, to feel any effect, you had to eat about a double fist sized chunk of it. Which I guess to solve the problem of absentmindedly eating too much weed brownie, but in the end I think I just wasted a lot of butter and time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shangri-Law School posted:

Here are some oldies.

I like that the hack to 'fake' illness is literally to poison yourself.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://i.imgur.com/D579Bjz.mp4

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

About halfway through I expected dickbutt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That one about changing the size of your punctuation to make your essay seem longer than it is - does anyone actually specify a number of lines or pages for an essay rather than a number of words? Because at no point in any of my schooling, primary school to university, would that ever have made any difference at all. 1000 words is 1000 words regardless of how much space it takes up.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

That´s not a knife!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

That one about changing the size of your punctuation to make your essay seem longer than it is - does anyone actually specify a number of lines or pages for an essay rather than a number of words? Because at no point in any of my schooling, primary school to university, would that ever have made any difference at all. 1000 words is 1000 words regardless of how much space it takes up.

Up through high school, a lot of my writing assignments were based on pages instead of word count. It depended on the teacher.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

All the way up through community college here in the US, in my experience. Usually "X pages, double-spaced", with a font size specified.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I remember a professor warning us that the first thing he did to all text he received was to select all and change text size, colour, and font to a standard so whitespace fuckery would get you in trouble. I always wondered if people were actually stupid enough to think it worked.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's just 3 easy steps!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

davidspackage posted:

It's just 3 easy steps!

I bet that knife is gonna be really dull really fast, since he used the cheapest possible steel and didn't appear to heat treat it (although clearly he's had some practice so maybe he just decided not to show it).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh I thought he was going to make a steel dignity at first :(

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like that the hack to 'fake' illness is literally to poison yourself.

I feel like it explains a lot that these lifehacks are targeted at people who would literally rather eat half a cigarette and be violently ill than... sit through a class? Turn in a paper on time? Do whatever other academic thing they instead need to "be sick publicly" to get out of?

People apparently do try the "submit a renamed MP3 and claim it was a 'corrupted' essay file," since I've seen people in the Venting About Students thread in SAL complain about it. Spoiler warning: it doesn't work, and it gets a worse reaction from professors than an honest request for an extension would. Lifehacked!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's annoying that some of them are good. Spaced repetition is great for memory, the research tip to use bibliographies is - oh, I guess people just use Google now - but then it has "learn the 9 times table!" and "hack your tests by literally guessing!"

And my college attempt at polyphasic sleep started with napping while my friends were out having fun, led to a footpath miles from the dorm in the middle of the night hallucinating police sirens, so it might not be entirely beneficial.

Ancient educational lifehack that probably doesn't work anymore: if you missed the deadline to email an assignment, set up your own SMTP server on your computer, set the clock back a few hours, and then claim that it just took ages to deliver but you sent it in time and point to the headers as proof

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I guess if you really place no value on your time and really want a poo poo knife, that's a great idea. Or you could just pay $3 for one that's almost certainly better.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

cakesmith handyman posted:

I remember a professor warning us that the first thing he did to all text he received was to select all and change text size, colour, and font to a standard so whitespace fuckery would get you in trouble. I always wondered if people were actually stupid enough to think it worked.

It works if you're turning in hard copies. I freely admit to using the punctuation size thing on a couple of papers in undergrad where I was just under the page count minimum.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

uvar posted:

And my college attempt at polyphasic sleep started with napping while my friends were out having fun, led to a footpath miles from the dorm in the middle of the night hallucinating police sirens, so it might not be entirely beneficial.

I think this requires more information.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Sunswipe posted:

I guess if you really place no value on your time and really want a poo poo knife, that's a great idea. Or you could just pay $3 for one that's almost certainly better.

I mean, if I already have a couple of coins, a butter knife I wasn't using, a belt sander, a dremel, a drill press, and an inordinate amount of free time, it really seems like a waste to spend that extra $3 on something I can just make at home!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I measure flour by how large of a puddle it makes on the floor.

like a animal.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CommunistPancake posted:

#sleephax

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommunistPancake posted:

I tried it when I was working night shift security

Called in a report of people in the then-closed for the evening pool area, end up yelling at the bushes to leave the area immediately.

The pool was pretty well lit at night too, I just swore I heard people taking and moving right there.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That sounds unhealthy.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

uvar posted:

No scratch that I want this man's eyeballed voodoo magic brownies.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

meiram posted:

It works if you're turning in hard copies. I freely admit to using the punctuation size thing on a couple of papers in undergrad where I was just under the page count minimum.

Like, if you're that close that the period font size bullshit matters, why not just pick a couple points and write a few more sentences? The font fuckery never made any sense to me, and when I was a TA it was always a precious moment when a freshman would turn in their first paper in Courier New or whatever and I kindly informed them that this poo poo doesn't make sense when you're paying $40k a year. Put to effort in or go home, goddamn.

That said, I do miss high school before email attachments were really popular or practical, and I kept a corrupted 3.5" floppy in my backpack as an emergency failsafe to buy me another day or two. "Whoops, my printer at home didn't work, drat bubblejets! But I brought in an electronic copy!" :ninja:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LogisticEarth posted:

Like, if you're that close that the period font size bullshit matters, why not just pick a couple points and write a few more sentences?
Because sometimes you've just said all there is to say on a given topic and there just aren't a few more sentences to write.

I'm so glad that my college professors (that were any good) largely assigned papers with requirements of "X sources minimum, write until you think you've fully explored the topic. If you're written less than Y pages you should probably explore a little harder. Or maybe you're just that good at being concise! It's not the size that's important, it's what you're doing with it that counts. Just like your girlfriend keeps telling you.*"

*yes I had a professor say this exact thing to the whole class.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LogisticEarth posted:

when I was a TA it was always a precious moment when a freshman would turn in their first paper in Courier New or whatever and I kindly informed them that this poo poo doesn't make sense when you're paying $40k a year. Put to effort in or go home, goddamn.

Were they aspiring authors, by any chance? They may have been using standard manuscript format out of habit.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Powered Descent posted:

Were they aspiring authors, by any chance? They may have been using standard manuscript format out of habit.

Every single one of my papers from high school through my M.F.A. were written in 12 pt. Courier New because of this, even if it was changed to something different as specified by the assignment before final submission.

By the time I hit upper level undergrad and grad school coursework, most of my professors would just list a minimum word count with the caveat that we should probably plan to write at least 15% more than that if we wanted anything better than a C+/B-.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I had maximum word counts because my profs had no TAs and they were all STEM people who hated reading

El Fantasmo
Mar 25, 2013

Does this only work with Australian coins?

You'd think someone who works with money would know how to value their time.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

LogisticEarth posted:

Like, if you're that close that the period font size bullshit matters, why not just pick a couple points and write a few more sentences? The font fuckery never made any sense to me, and when I was a TA it was always a precious moment when a freshman would turn in their first paper in Courier New or whatever and I kindly informed them that this poo poo doesn't make sense when you're paying $40k a year. Put to effort in or go home, goddamn.

I've had professors literally take points off if they felt like you were adding nonsense filler just to hit the page requirement. If they see you've already made a point, then are doing it again 2 or 3 pages later, they would literally cross it out and say you hadn't hit the required length. This directly ties in to what someone else said about how, sometimes, there just isn't anything else to say.

With that being said, most of my professors wanted Times New Roman in 12pt font. If I couldn't hit that, but was close, I'd just enlarge the font to 12.5 or 13, then print it out. Close enough that it's almost impossible to tell from a passive reading. I got away with the white text exactly once, and decided I didn't want to push the limit and try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

El Fantasmo posted:

Does this only work with Australian coins?

You'd think someone who works with money would know how to value their time.

Maybe they enjoy making crafts that take a ridiculously long time for little payoff.

I don't, but then again I use cups to measure flour.