Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Whoops

e: oh no, a snipe. this isn't going well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Suicide Squad's marketing is the most interesting part of that whole movie. Watch all the trailers, starting with the first one that was leaked from comic con to the last one. Night and day. Comic con. Official 1. Official 2.

Wonder Woman was easily digestible, for the most part. It's message and imagery don't quite line up, mainly in the 3rd act. It played it safe with the feminist angle, which really peaked in the second act. Even though I partially agree with them, I know a few women who disliked the shopping sequence. The movie also didn't really challenge people a whole lot and I feel they completely wasted the setting and didn't go far enough with the whole "Ares doesn't cause wars, he just encourages what's already there." They wasted a really good villain in Ares. That said, I really did like the film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jimbot posted:

Suicide Squad's marketing is the most interesting part of that whole movie. Watch all the trailers, starting with the first one that was leaked from comic con to the last one. Night and day. Comic con. Official 1. Official 2.

Wonder Woman was easily digestible, for the most part. It's message and imagery don't quite line up, mainly in the 3rd act. It played it safe with the feminist angle, which really peaked in the second act. Even though I partially agree with them, I know a few women who disliked the shopping sequence. The movie also didn't really challenge people a whole lot and I feel they completely wasted the setting and didn't go far enough with the whole "Ares doesn't cause wars, he just encourages what's already there." They wasted a really good villain in Ares. That said, I really did like the film.

DC's plan seems to be just to waste good things. They already crammed "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Death of Superman" into one film.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

DC's plan seems to be just to waste good things. They already crammed "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Death of Superman" into one film.

i prefer that over spending six years worth of movies setting up some thanos' boring rear end

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Bigger Boat, disingenuous only in that your reductions were overly simplistic. I get the pantheon bit though.

Davros1 posted:

They already crammed "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Death of Superman" into one film.

And it turned out really well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Dark Knight Returns got proper treatment because it treated the natural conclusion to Batman as a wreck of a man spouting ultra-right wing rhetoric to justify their fascism (as opposed to what an actual ultra-right wing lunatic would write him as). But that's just a tastes sort of thing, I never cared for The Dark Knight Returns. Death of Superman, on the other hand, was just bad. Doomsday was just a mindless monster who jobbed every hero that came its way until Superman stopped it. It was boring and there was nothing to it. In Batman v Superman, Doomsday at least represented something and Superman's death meant something to the world.

I never fully cared for the finale to Batman v Superman but it gets marks for giving Doomsday that extra layer of subtext that made the battle with Superman more than just a fisticuffs battle.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Suicide Squad's about five degrees away from being a stone cold classic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jimbot posted:

The Dark Knight Returns got proper treatment because it treated the natural conclusion to Batman as a wreck of a man spouting ultra-right wing rhetoric to justify their fascism (as opposed to what an actual ultra-right wing lunatic would write him as). But that's just a tastes sort of thing, I never cared for The Dark Knight Returns. Death of Superman, on the other hand, was just bad. Doomsday was just a mindless monster who jobbed every hero that came its way until Superman stopped it. It was boring and there was nothing to it. In Batman v Superman, Doomsday at least represented something and Superman's death meant something to the world.

I never fully cared for the finale to Batman v Superman but it gets marks for giving Doomsday that extra layer of subtext that made the battle with Superman more than just a fisticuffs battle.

Doomsday was just in a mindless monster in BvS. Just because he was Zod before didn't add any depth, other than for a second film in a row Supes was fighting a Kryptonian. And Superman's death was harder felt in the comics than in the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Burkion posted:

This is also related to why I suspect the Han Solo movie is going to be a goddamn trash fire. Unless they really lucked out on casting, they're not going to get some one who can take a comic relief betrayal dude and play him like Harrison Ford did.

I read something about the studio having to hire an acting coach for the lead because his performance was not wowing producers, so yeah. Heh.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

teagone posted:

I read something about the studio having to hire an acting coach for the lead because his performance was not wowing producers, so yeah. Heh.

Who would've been a good Solo?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Who would've been a good Solo?

The kid from Baby Driver.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

This is a really hilarious rumor since apparently he acted circles around everyone else in Hail, Caesar!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The MSJ posted:

This is a really hilarious rumor since apparently he acted circles around everyone else in Hail, Caesar!

I don't think it was a rumor. From what I remember, the Hollywood Reporter confirmed it amidst all the hoopla around Lord and Miller getting fired. They went on to mention in the article that it's not unheard of to bring on an acting coach to any production, but the Solo film was already so late into production which is why Kasdan and Kennedy being unhappy with the lead's performance is something significant enough note. Maybe Lord and Miller just aren't an "actor's director" and couldn't get a decent performance out of the lead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought it was rumored to be more of a direction thing, that he was being pushed by Lord and Miller to go too broad and too comedic and the acting coach was just readjusting to ratchet it back down.

teagone posted:

The kid from Baby Driver.

Elgort was good in Baby Driver, but it also showed him bumping right up against the edge of his range.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Davros1 posted:

Doomsday was just in a mindless monster in BvS. Just because he was Zod before didn't add any depth, other than for a second film in a row Supes was fighting a Kryptonian. And Superman's death was harder felt in the comics than in the movie.

Well, just the fact that he's Zod's undead corpse adds the implication that Doomsday is picking up where Zod left off, trying to exterminate humanity out of rage. And what does it say about Luthor, that he prefers the defiled revenant of Zod to Superman?

He's just a mindless monster if you're just a mindless consumer. That's on you, though.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 23, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

I don't think it was a rumor. From what I remember, the Hollywood Reporter confirmed it amidst all the hoopla around Lord and Miller getting fired. They went on to mention in the article that it's not unheard of to bring on an acting coach to any production, but the Solo film was already so late into production which is why Kasdan and Kennedy being unhappy with the lead's performance is something significant enough note. Maybe Lord and Miller just aren't an "actor's director" and couldn't get a decent performance out of the lead.

That THR piece was a pretty one-sided, Disney-fueled hit piece on Lord and Miller, though. All those things that came out back in June or whatever just stank of Kathleen Kennedy leaking a ton of poo poo to Variety and THR to get in front of the story and stack the coverage in her / Disney's favor. It didn't feel unlike when, for example, the Boston Red Sox decided they didn't like Terry Francona anymore, so they planted stories in the Boston press that he was a pill-popping addict, that he was letting the players get drunk and gorge themselves on fried chicken in the clubhouse, etc., in advance of firing him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Them getting fired soured all good will I had for Nu Star Wars. Force Awakens was fun and cool, Rogue One was alright too, but I was looking forward to what Lord and Miller had in store for the lamest idea ever.

It's gonna suck poo poo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

feedmyleg posted:

Elgort was good in Baby Driver, but it also showed him bumping right up against the edge of his range.

lets not pretend that playing Han Solo requires any real range. Harrison Ford is great at what he does, but he's not exactly the most multi-talented actor in the world. Elgort could probably do a really good job channeling him (though I would have said the same thing about Erenreich as well so maybe i'm wrong)

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Who the gently caress cares about Lord and Miller?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Super Fan posted:

A lot of people?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Super Fan posted:

People who like enjoyable movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was a friend of Lord and Miller.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Jimbot posted:

Thing is, they didn't add any colour to the actual movie, so the big blasts of colour in the opening credits, character introductions, and end credits was really jarring. Yeah shoot the whole movie at night, with black rock monsters, faded rear end dirty costumes, with a grand total of 1 neon light in the entire city (the jokers car?), that's what the film needs.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

People who like enjoyable movies.

I find their humor insipid

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Suicide Squad directed by Lexi Alexander in the style of Punisher: War Zone would have been real good

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Suicide Squad directed by Lexi Alexander in the style of Punisher: War Zone would have been real good

Yeah.

I liked Suicide Squad, even though it's probably Ayer's worst film, but Lexi Alexander's version could have been something dope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Super Fan posted:

Great

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I, too, enjoy Lord & Miller stuff.

I hope David Ayer’s Orc Cop on Netflix will be amazing.

Reports are saying that Justice League is the shortest DCEU move to date.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

I, too, enjoy Lord & Miller stuff.

I hope David Ayer’s Orc Cop on Netflix will be amazing.

Lord & Miller did Clone High, The Last Man on Earth, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street, so they're cool in my books.

And I'm actually pretty excited for Bright. It's not like a director hasn't been able to transform a Landis script into something really good before.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lt. Danger posted:

Surely the obvious explanation is that the MCU is lowest-common-denominator stuff with a focus on the feel-good factor and on-point quips for maximum mass-market appeal while the much younger and smaller DCU was comparatively less accessible for two out of its current three movies?

The MCU doesn't have more mass market appeal than the DCEU on the homefront, the DCEU films were on average a bigger box office draw than the MCU films. (That's even removing The Inhumans from the mix because it's just dumb to include that in the box office figures.)
The MCU does better than the DCEU in the worldwide figures on average (and they should, they've had four movies that made over a billion dollars) but even then the difference between the two is less than two percent. If Wonder Woman had performed comparatively as well as BvS in the foreign markets it would have made over a billion dollars in total and the DCEU's worldwide average would also be ahead of the MCU's worldwide average.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=avengers.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=dc.htm

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Lord and Miller are dead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think what pisses me off most with Lord and Miller getting fired is that they bring a fresh, younger energy into their work. I don't particularly mind Ron Howard, but he represents the old Hollywood order and every tweet I've seen of his work on Solo feels so pandering and uncreative.

And gently caress Fox for cancelling Making History. :argh:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Super Fan posted:

What humour do you like?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Detective No. 27 posted:

And gently caress Fox for cancelling Making History. :argh:

I don't think they even finished the season, it just seemed to kind of stop.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

What humour do you like?

Shakespeare

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I love Miller, but Lord really drags down the whole enterprise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Lord & Miller did Clone High, The Last Man on Earth, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street, so they're cool in my books.

They also had a huge part in the ridiculously good first season of How I Met Your Mother.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Venom has started production

https://twitter.com/VenomMovie/status/922650329828663296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Super Fan posted:

Shakespeare

If you like fart and dick jokes so much you'd think Lord and Miller would be right up your alley

• Locked thread