Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm very on the fence about getting this game. I played the last couple galaxy games and they were ok (no Wii U or 3DS for the more recent ones). I loved SM64 but haven't really gotten into one like that for a loooong time.

Still, I'm considering preordering from amazon just to save the money since it'll never go on sale then just leave it in the shrink wrap if I decide I don't want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Larrymer posted:

I'm very on the fence about getting this game.

Get this game

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Larrymer posted:

I'm very on the fence about getting this game. I played the last couple galaxy games and they were ok (no Wii U or 3DS for the more recent ones). I loved SM64 but haven't really gotten into one like that for a loooong time.

Still, I'm considering preordering from amazon just to save the money since it'll never go on sale then just leave it in the shrink wrap if I decide I don't want it.

this seems very much like a love letter to Mario in general, but especially SM64

Raserys posted:

Get this game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Raserys posted:

Boss spoilers there's an actual, literal dark souls level

Yeah the jokes are going to be coming hard and fast when it becomes public.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished (I think)

For those wondering and want the number of kingdoms in the game it's 17

To rip a proverbial bandaid off now Isle Delfino is not one of them.

so er questions, if you can: is it really botw amount of moons? how many sub-stages are there and are they long/varied? have people really 100% this? do you think delfino is gonna be dlc since it was on the map poster?

i mean, i assume the game is good too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vikar Jerome posted:

so er questions, if you can: is it really botw amount of moons? how many sub-stages are there and are they long/varied? have people really 100% this? do you think delfino is gonna be dlc since it was on the map poster?

i mean, i assume the game is good too.

Random answers There's about 660 moons total. Post game scatters a bunch in previously explored worlds too. Substages it's kind of hard to put a number on as there's a lot all over the danged place but they're mostly unique and varied. I don't know if people have 100% it yet because I haven't yet and I haven't been looking into other reactions to leaked gameplay/whatever. I have no idea on Delfino. Would be interesting at the very least!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

How could someone possibly be on the fence about this game?

It is going to be great!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random answers There's about 660 moons total. Post game scatters a bunch in previously explored worlds too. Substages it's kind of hard to put a number on as there's a lot all over the danged place but they're mostly unique and varied. I don't know if people have 100% it yet because I haven't yet and I haven't been looking into other reactions to leaked gameplay/whatever. I have no idea on Delfino. Would be interesting at the very least!

There's actually 836 moons. Confirmed by streaming guy who unlocked all the postgame moons for each kingdom.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

All in all how varied are the moons? Is there a good bit of fun weird stuff mixed in with the normal platforming and I assume stuff like red coins?

Also goddamn Nintendo, let me preorder from the eshop so I can stare longingly at the icon at least!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If they had released the Prima guide ahead of the game I might have actually bought it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hedrigall posted:

There's actually 836 moons. Confirmed by streaming guy who unlocked all the postgame moons for each kingdom.

Huh, egg on my face then :v:

sexpig by night posted:

All in all how varied are the moons? Is there a good bit of fun weird stuff mixed in with the normal platforming and I assume stuff like red coins?

Also goddamn Nintendo, let me preorder from the eshop so I can stare longingly at the icon at least!

For the most part they're alright? Some of them feel like padding out a number but it really shouldn't bother anyone unless they're shooting for completion.

There's moons for doing random minigames, quizzes, running in a perfect circle, ground pounding random spots of the map, poking around towns just about everything.

E: I don't get how anyone could be on the fence about Odyssey. Like what's making you think it'll actually be bad/not fun?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: I don't get how anyone could be on the fence about Odyssey. Like what's making you think it'll actually be bad/not fun?

i guess hating fun

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Huh, egg on my face then :v:

For the most part they're alright? Some of them feel like padding out a number but it really shouldn't bother anyone unless they're shooting for completion.

There's moons for doing random minigames, quizzes, running in a perfect circle, ground pounding random spots of the map, poking around towns just about everything.

Sounds good to me. I don't hear that many collectibles and not expect at least a fair amount of 'uuuh yea climb this convenient clock tower shut up we needed a round number in this level' but as long as there's a nice variety I'm good.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Raserys posted:

Boss spoilers there's an actual, literal dark souls level

Please elaborate

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can I get some moveset spoilers, please? Has all of them been showed off or are there some movement options for Mario that they kept secret?

Honestly I just want to know how a speedrun will look. Sunshine speedruns are so cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CuddlyZombie posted:

Please elaborate

Random Boss spoilers

In Peach's castle one of the paintings leads to a ruined kingdom where you fight a giant HD dragon with thunder breath. The setting looks somewhat like a souls game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random Boss spoilers

In Peach's castle one of the paintings leads to a ruined kingdom where you fight a giant HD dragon with thunder breath. The setting looks somewhat like a souls game.

To clarify:

The painting in Peach's castle is one of many that lead to boss rematches. You actually fight the dragon earlier in the game, before the final 2 main kingdoms. Every boss has a more difficult rematch in the postgame

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hedrigall posted:

To clarify:

The painting in Peach's castle is one of many that lead to boss rematches. You actually fight the dragon earlier in the game, before the final 2 main kingdoms. Every boss has a more difficult rematch in the postgame

Yeah but the painting portal makes me think of the painted world so that's the one I'm going with v:v:v

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

where's the complex overly-emotional lore video about mario odyssey

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MeO4i5YCsM

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"You may think of evolution as... an upward process. Things evolve from primeval slime, up to single-celled organisms, up to... intelligent life. De-evolution, of course, works the opposite way. Back to... simpler forms."

dennis hopper rambling about goombas may as well be item flavour text from bloodborne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ah, Cap... or some say Cappy...

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

alf_pogs posted:

Pauline and Mario have an ancient relationship forged in blood.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ah, Cap... or some say Cappy...

do you hear our 'yeahs!'

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Probably gonna buy a Switch for this game, God help me

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

ManlyGrunting posted:

Probably gonna buy a Switch for this game, God help me

Get up on some other titles for it too then.

I didn't expect to use the handheld mode much and ended up getting really into it btw, it's insane some of the stuff you functionally have portable ports of on the switch

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I cant wait to jump around as the happy little fucker mario!

E: only like 60 hours till it’s out in shops here in oz

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 24, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wa! Ha! Ya-Ha!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Beastie posted:

How could someone possibly be on the fence about this game?

I realize this is the super hype thread, so bear with me here. I haven't played a Mario game in like 7-10 years and it doesn't have the same allure to me as Zelda and other games I guess anymore. The last couple galaxy games and sunshine felt like evolutions of SM64 but in ways that I didn't really care for much (though galaxies were better and more fun than sunshine IMO). I didn't care to go back and collect more poo poo after beating them, I was glad to be done with them instead. SM64 I did everything, but also I was more of a kid back then and had more time, etc. As for the new game, the hat gimmick looks weird and New Donk City just seems super strange. I have tried not to look at too much footage at this point though, to be fair.

I saw one Zelda trailer and immediately preordered a switch and Zelda. I saw the Odyssey trailer and was greeted with an annoying song and a very strange world for Mario. But I already have this dang Switch anyway, so I am back to having it preordered in case I decide to play it. :v: I'll still wait to open it first by reading a few reviews, but as with most things Nintendo 1st party, it'll be 95-100% rated across the board regardless, probably.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ive been a mario game player all my life and i think this is the first one i have been excited about prior to release

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mario will absolve us of our sins praise be onto him

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Mario will absolve us of our sins praise be onto him

This would be funnier if nintendo games still came out on sundays

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nah

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I, too, dislike joy and whimsy.

Actually this is me rn:
https://twitter.com/rihanna/status/488434293996552192?lang=en

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 24, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've only really played world, 64 and galaxy 2 in my life. World and 64 were super awesome and I have very fond memories of them, 64 in particular. I remember enjoying galaxy 2 but that's about it, it wasn't particularly memorable for me and I couldn't really tell you much about it now.

I wasn't fussed about Odyssey (ok I would have still got it) until I heard they were returning to a sandbox 64 style, then my hype levels went through the roof. I'm excited y'all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

ive been a mario game player all my life and i think this is the first one i have been excited about prior to release

The hype for SMB3 was loving intense

I was pretty excited about Galaxy2 since Galaxy was soooo good, but not like this! :mario:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Larrymer posted:

I saw the Odyssey trailer and was greeted with an annoying song
:stare:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mace Bacon posted:

I, too, dislike joy and whimsy.

Actually this is me rn:
https://twitter.com/rihanna/status/488434293996552192?lang=en

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I ordered my copy from Amazon a few months ago, and I'm so excited. When do they usually start shipping out pre-orders? I tend to hear stories where they ship pre-orders out on release day instead of before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have a “delivery date pending” on my order of the guide from amazon. like dudes it comes out in 3 days

• Locked thread