Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

A movie probably from the 90s involving two characters that were like urban legends/serial killers who don't know each other. One dude dressed like a white collar businessman with a briefcase, in which he hid a hatchet and a role of duct tape. To get into his "killing mode" he would grab the hatchet, then wrap duct tape around it over and over so he wouldn't be able to drop it. I think he was referred to as "The Hatchet Man" but every time I google that I just get ICP related results. The other serial killer/urban legend is less clear in my memory, but I think he used knives. Most details are fuzzy, but in the end these two men wind up facing off with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
That would be The Nature of the Beast, directed by good ol' Victor Salva.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Just a scene from a movie:

Two people are about to battle. Someone else is striking a giant gong elsewhere, and each time the gong strikes, the camera switches from one person to the other as giant flames surround them, giving both of them only a glimpse of each other's face as the flame's light dances across their faces in each camera shot.

I wanna say it's The Mummy Returns, but I don't remember a gong in it.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

MachineryNoise posted:

That would be The Nature of the Beast, directed by good ol' Victor Salva.

Thanks so much!

Edit: Oh poo poo, Victor Salva, welp

Phantom Star fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 6, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was so close! Thanks my man. I was telling my boyfriend it was a fun flick, but I was stumped on what it was actually called. The one thing I remembered most was an issue with the subtitles, and I was wondering why Pink Floyd was constantly being brought up at random. Got to the end credits and it turned out whoever did the subs hosed up, since one character was named 'Pinfloy'

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Does anybody know of a movie where Phil Connors and his wife Rita (not played by Murray or McDowell) show up near the end to give the main character some lesson about love that convinces him to go after the love of his life? This may have occurred on a plane or in an airport. I swear I've seen this scene but have no clue what the movie was now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Murphys Law posted:

Does anybody know of a movie where Phil Connors and his wife Rita (not played by Murray or McDowell) show up near the end to give the main character some lesson about love that convinces him to go after the love of his life? This may have occurred on a plane or in an airport. I swear I've seen this scene but have no clue what the movie was now.

SFW?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Yes, that looks like it could be it. Thanks!

Wow, I just watched some clips of this movie and I don't remember watching it at all. I did find the scene I was thinking of, though.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 13, 2017

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Some 1980s barbarian fantasy movie where a couple of dudes are fighting a dragon. The dragon is perched above them or something and they are stabbing it over and over with their swords and getting drenched in blood. It's possible one or both of the guys might have been in the dragon and stabbing their way out. Also, not 100% sure it was a dragon, but it was some sort of big medieval fantasy beast.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Murphys Law posted:

Yes, that looks like it could be it. Thanks!

Wow, I just watched some clips of this movie and I don't remember watching it at all. I did find the scene I was thinking of, though.

What's SFW?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Looks like maybe this film

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Detective Thompson posted:

Some 1980s barbarian fantasy movie where a couple of dudes are fighting a dragon. The dragon is perched above them or something and they are stabbing it over and over with their swords and getting drenched in blood. It's possible one or both of the guys might have been in the dragon and stabbing their way out. Also, not 100% sure it was a dragon, but it was some sort of big medieval fantasy beast.

Was it Barbarians?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Barbarians_(film)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, that's it. I didn't expect the Barbarian brothers to be in it, though I should have.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha ha, I found the scene on youtube. (Someone uploaded the entire film.) Their acting is .... a thing, alright.
It's at 1:04:50 if the timestamp doesn't work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58iYKU-RmU4&t=3890s

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha ha ha, I found the scene on youtube. (Someone uploaded the entire film.) Their acting is .... a thing, alright.
It's at 1:04:50 if the timestamp doesn't work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58iYKU-RmU4&t=3890s

it works.
amazing.
the 80s were a special time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look I'm sorry to be crude but that is very plainly a massive cock rising out of the swamp.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Do animated shorts count?

I remember watching one about a crew of various alien personalities cowering from invaders aboard a ship. One of the crew members is a short mascot type character named (I think) Pickles, or something along those lines, and he gets progressively sicker as the crew moves through the ship. An alien woman emerges out of his body, and the captain says something to effect that he just went through puberty. This was somehow seen on Cartoon Network sometime during the late 90s or early 2000s, which is bizarre given how risqué it was.

Does anyone else remember this, or is this a half-remembered fever dream?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Do animated shorts count?

I remember watching one about a crew of various alien personalities cowering from invaders aboard a ship. One of the crew members is a short mascot type character named (I think) Pickles, or something along those lines, and he gets progressively sicker as the crew moves through the ship. An alien woman emerges out of his body, and the captain says something to effect that he just went through puberty. This was somehow seen on Cartoon Network sometime during the late 90s or early 2000s, which is bizarre given how risqué it was.

Does anyone else remember this, or is this a half-remembered fever dream?

King Crab: Space Crustacean

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Thank you!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I saw a movie maybe 20 or more years ago on tv in the UK that all I can remember is it starting with a group of robbers holding up a large dinner party/swanky event and the thing that stuck in my teenage mind was they made all the victims strip naked. That’s all the info I have though :confused:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Does anyone know the movie where a (pretty sure old and white) guy says:

"You sound...very...sure."

?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

FaradayCage posted:

Does anyone know the movie where a (pretty sure old and white) guy says:

"You sound...very...sure."

?

Not by an old, white guy, but Nicole Kidman has a very similar line with a very similar meter in Eyes Wide Shut. "You are very... VERY... sure of yourself, AREN'T you?"

I guess it's probably not but you haven't had any other suggestions so worth a shout, I guess

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I don't even know if I've seen this movie, I think this quote is from the trailer.

"There is no murderer because THERE IS NO MURDER" and they really scream murder at the end, and it almost sounds like Steve Carell in my head but that's probably wrong.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't even know if I've seen this movie, I think this quote is from the trailer.

"There is no murderer because THERE IS NO MURDER" and they really scream murder at the end, and it almost sounds like Steve Carell in my head but that's probably wrong.

I'm wondering if it's one of the "someone thought they saw a murder like Disturbia, Mute Witness, the Burbs, or something else.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Hot fuzz sprung to mind. But British accents may have been a stand out feature for the scenes I'm thinking of

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I saw a movie maybe 20 or more years ago on tv in the UK that all I can remember is it starting with a group of robbers holding up a large dinner party/swanky event and the thing that stuck in my teenage mind was they made all the victims strip naked. That’s all the info I have though :confused:

Might be Surrender with Michael Caine and Sally Field, from 1987. That one had been bugging me for years too until I managed to find it somehow.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hannibal Rex posted:

Might be Surrender with Michael Caine and Sally Field, from 1987. That one had been bugging me for years too until I managed to find it somehow.

Think that may well be it, I remember it as more serious than a comedy but to be honest I was a kid who was just interested at the prospect of mass nudity. Thanks for solving the mystery! :)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Borrowed Ladder posted:

there's a line like this in Sisters (1973) ("There was no body because there was no murder") and it's yelled.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I saw a movie on TV I think in the 90s, I want to say it looked like an older James Bond movie, but I've seen most of them and I don't think it's one of those, at the very least it has that 50s-60s film look. In the scene I'm thinking of, a woman is doing a striptease on a stage, goes from sparkling gown to bikini, then she brings out a screen and continues to strip, then a guy comes from the side and shoots her.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Arcella posted:

I saw a movie on TV I think in the 90s, I want to say it looked like an older James Bond movie, but I've seen most of them and I don't think it's one of those, at the very least it has that 50s-60s film look. In the scene I'm thinking of, a woman is doing a striptease on a stage, goes from sparkling gown to bikini, then she brings out a screen and continues to strip, then a guy comes from the side and shoots her.

Our Man Flint, maybe?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Thanks, I scanned through this on youtube, I don't think that's it. The way I remember it is it's a static shot in front of the woman on the stage as she's dancing/stripping, and I want to say the curtain/stage she's on is mostly blue? Could just be some memory BS.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This popped up on HBO sometime between 1987 and `92. I hit up google to see what came up, but none of the flicks that came up seemed to be it, unless I was just completely hallucinating. Also, I only watched whatever this was for like twenty seconds, long enough to remember this shot.

It's clearly some sort of horror movie, unless I miss my guess completely, involving an evil ventriloquist's dummy, but in this shot, the dummy has been hog-tied, gagged, and hung from a noose in a closet. I believe it was going "mmmmmf!" with the gag in its mouth. Horror isn't generally my genre, so if this is some sort of all-time classic that I haven't seen, I can only shrug apologetically.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

hexwren posted:

This popped up on HBO sometime between 1987 and `92. I hit up google to see what came up, but none of the flicks that came up seemed to be it, unless I was just completely hallucinating. Also, I only watched whatever this was for like twenty seconds, long enough to remember this shot.

It's clearly some sort of horror movie, unless I miss my guess completely, involving an evil ventriloquist's dummy, but in this shot, the dummy has been hog-tied, gagged, and hung from a noose in a closet. I believe it was going "mmmmmf!" with the gag in its mouth. Horror isn't generally my genre, so if this is some sort of all-time classic that I haven't seen, I can only shrug apologetically.

for some reason I'm thinking this might be a "Tales from the Crypt", but the ventriloquist dummy episode I remember didn't have this part...

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Two movies I saw when I was a kid, placing them somewhere from the 70's to the early 80's, I have a vivid imagination, so some of this poo poo may be wrong or made up.

The first was a cartoon movie about a young elephant that maybe gets orphaned, there was maybe an evil vizier-type dude as the villain who gets his comeuppance at the end, and it seemed to last about 4 hours, and seemed to have fairly ornate drawings.

The second, another animated movie, but with marionettes, like a Thunderbirds/Joe 90 thing, except the lead guy fell in love with a robot girl marionette, and at the end they were in a boat on the ocean and discovered he was a robot too.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's a horror film where Anthony Hopkins plays a ventriloquist, but I haven't seen it and don't remember the name off hand.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

It's called Magic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Torquemada posted:

Two movies I saw when I was a kid, placing them somewhere from the 70's to the early 80's, I have a vivid imagination, so some of this poo poo may be wrong or made up.

The first was a cartoon movie about a young elephant that maybe gets orphaned, there was maybe an evil vizier-type dude as the villain who gets his comeuppance at the end, and it seemed to last about 4 hours, and seemed to have fairly ornate drawings.

The second, another animated movie, but with marionettes, like a Thunderbirds/Joe 90 thing, except the lead guy fell in love with a robot girl marionette, and at the end they were in a boat on the ocean and discovered he was a robot too.

Second one might be Mad Monster Party

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Light Gun Man posted:

Second one might be Mad Monster Party

I checked it out on IMDB, that looks like it, cheers!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sir Nose posted:

It's called Magic.

Does this have the scene I was thinking of? I skimmed it on youtube, but didn't see the thing, but it was a throwaway scene, I might have missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Sorry, don't know if your scene is in it. I think I saw part of it on tv years ago and remember absolutely nothing about it except it was boring. But the trailer was memorable, freaked me out when I was a kid; that's how I remembered the name of the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1oeoVD_zI