Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Look at this sweet summer child who's not yet inoculated against WhiskeyJuvenile's turbotrolling

It's more than one guy, probably about 50% of this thread right now. Kinda scares me. Everyone's swearing that they will never vote Democrat again, and I believe them and that they represent quite a large constituency of disillusioned young left-wing voters. I don't even think they'd be happy if the Democrats suddenly turned into Bernie clones - still too far right. Better fascism than Clintonism seems to be the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone see the 60 mins piece on Bill Koch? He might be a better argument for wheeling out the guillotines than even his brothers.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's more than one guy, probably about 50% of this thread right now. Kinda scares me.
Turn on your monitor

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Anyone see the 60 mins piece on Bill Koch? He might be a better argument for wheeling out the guillotines than even his brothers.

You have come a long way since the last few elections mcmagic :3:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It's more than one guy, probably about 50% of this thread right now. Kinda scares me. Everyone's swearing that they will never vote Democrat again, and I believe them and that they represent quite a large constituency of disillusioned young left-wing voters. I don't even think they'd be happy if the Democrats suddenly turned into Bernie clones - still too far right. Better fascism than Clintonism seems to be the theme.

I mean there's about a dozen posters (with about a half dozen that are the most active) who were very vocal Bernie supporters who never got over his loss and made it their mission in life to post about how The Democrats are a Waste and their dumb threads keep getting gassed so they've moved to this one. It's a vocal minority of left-leaning young people, mostly white men. If the democratic nominee in 2020 is any good (and at least little to the left of where HRC was perceived to be) most of them will probably vote for him or her, but a few will loudly hold out for Full Communism or whatever. If the democratic nominee is someone who is perceived to be a centrist it might be a problem.

So, in conclusion, don't support a centrist in 2020 if you want to win. It's a fine line between "liberal enough for the Bernie crew" and "to liberal for persuadable voters", but there are probably candidates that would work. I'd suggest, Warren, Franken, or Sherrod Brown. Stay away from Hickenlooper, Booker, and (unfortunately) Harris.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 23, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

If the democratic nominee is someone who is perceived to be a centrist it might be a problem.

Problem is, they consider about 95% of the Democratic politicians out there to be "centrists" so odds are one of them will be running.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/maryellenmurr/status/922295795734507520

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Problem is, they consider about 95% of the Democratic politicians out there to be "centrists" so odds are one of them will be running.

I think there are probably democrats that could capture the Bernie crowd without alienating persuadable voters too much though.

If nominate a more liberal candidate feels like giving in to a bunch of whiny fucktards, sure. But that's politics mate.

EDIT: I mean theres always a few people who are very hardcore isolationists and anarchists, but these people have always existed and were never going to vote for democrats anyway.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 23, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ogmius815 posted:

persuadable voters
Is this the new term for the mythical "Moderate Republican" the DNC has spent the last 30 years trying to find?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This has made me sad. I'm sad now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NFS is the poster child for what you're talking about. Some real quality " I'll be fine posts" from that one leading up to the election.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean there's about a dozen posters (with about a half dozen that are the most active) who were very vocal Bernie supporters who never got over his loss and made it their mission in life to post about how The Democrats are a Waste and their dumb threads keep getting gassed so they've moved to this one. It's a vocal minority of left-leaning young people, mostly white men. If the democratic nominee in 2020 is any good (and at least little to the left of where HRC was perceived to be) most of them will probably vote for him or her, but a few will loudly hold out for Full Communism or whatever. If the democratic nominee is someone who is perceived to be a centrist it might be a problem.

So, in conclusion, don't support a centrist in 2020 if you want to win. It's a fine line between "liberal enough for the Bernie crew" and "to liberal for persuadable voters", but there are probably candidates that would work. I'd suggest, Warren, Franken, or Sherrod Brown. Stay away from Hickenlooper, Booker, and (unfortunately) Harris.

none of the dems are a waste threads got gassed og

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This sort of thing feels like the precursor to something really bad. No one is fooled by this sort of poo poo and it only makes it more obvious we are being mistreated.

If the Democrats try to show up to debates in 2019 with a bunch of "this is why Trump is bad" instead of "here is how I will at least try to make your life better" they are going to be very shocked come November.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this is ridiculous

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Koalas March posted:

You have come a long way since the last few elections mcmagic :3:

How so?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
It's possible to poo poo on the Democrats for being lovely while also not wanting Repubs to take power. Instead of grousing about why people won't vote for your party, why not try to, I don't know, appeal to them instead of threatening them with death by republican if you don't vote for them?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also the left wingers I'm seeing are the most unhappy with fascism and want to Democrats to shift not only because of ideology, but because it's clear the current course doesn't win elections and something needs to be changed. It would be one thing if leftists were complaining while the Democrats were sweeping positions across the country, but the reality is they are becoming less and less popular to the populace at large and unable to even act as a minimal stop gap against Republican evil.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Radish posted:

This sort of thing feels like the precursor to something really bad. No one is fooled by this sort of poo poo and it only makes it more obvious we are being mistreated.

If the Democrats try to show up to debates in 2019 with a bunch of "this is why Trump is bad" instead of "here is how I will at least try to make your life better" they are going to be very shocked come November.

They will actually try to do that next year, so maybe in time for 2019 they might learn.

But it's probably going to take Trump winning re-election.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Centrist fear leftists. Good.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BrandorKP posted:

NFS is the poster child for what you're talking about. Some real quality " I'll be fine posts" from that one leading up to the election.

I'd have to vote Democrat first to not vote Democrat again

just lol if you've cast a vote for one of the genocidal war criminals they've passed off as candidates unless you live in a battleground state

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

this is ridiculous

If a bunch of people are trying to tell you that this is something they perceive, you continuing to say "Then why do i say it isn't" is really frustrating.

In actual news, bloomberg continues to be incredibly lovely.

https://twitter.com/BrianSchoeneman/status/922459414195589125

I am all for the gun control, but the glaring omission here can't be by mistake.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Iron Twinkie posted:

It's only reasonable and sane as a world leader to work to acquire and maintain the largest number of weapons of mass destruction you can as quickly as possible to protect your country from being completely ratfucked by the United States. If you ever work with us and voluntarily disarm, we will destroy your country and laugh about your dead body rotting in a ditch.

Thankfully, that's not always the case - countries like South Africa, Brazil, and Argentina gave up their nuclear programs peacefully, and did so in cooperation with the U.S. Of course, Libya provides a nasty counter-example, and it's the one that's freshest in other governments' minds. But I do think it's possible for the international community to get back to a place where the trend is back towards disarmament. It's just going to take a lot of hard work (and a completely different U.S. government) to get back to that place.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Radish posted:

It would be one thing if leftists were complaining while the Democrats were sweeping positions across the country, but the reality is they are becoming less and less popular to the populace at large and unable to even act as a minimal stop gap against Republican evil.

US politics has a flip-flop quality, which means that Democrats will be able to run a bent spoon for office in 2024 and win after Trump has hosed people over for long enough and caused a recession. That's how they got a bunch of racists to vote for a black man in 2008.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

Thankfully, that's not always the case - countries like South Africa, Brazil, and Argentina gave up their nuclear programs peacefully, and did so in cooperation with the U.S. Of course, Libya provides a nasty counter-example, and it's the one that's freshest in other governments' minds. But I do think it's possible for the international community to get back to a place where the trend is back towards disarmament. It's just going to take a lot of hard work (and a completely different U.S. government) to get back to that place.

What idiots would trust the USA now? If you make a deal with Democrats it's worthless to Republicans. With maximum 8 year term limits, long term deals with the USA are going to start to look pretty foolish.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

US politics has a flip-flop quality, which means that Democrats will be able to run a bent spoon for office in 2024 and win after Trump has hosed people over for long enough and caused a recession. That's how they got a bunch of racists to vote for a black man in 2008.

Oh lol. Now to the pedulum swing argument. Such a naive argument. Also lol at the do nothing because Trump will just screw everything up. This is why you and the rest of the losers get bullied. Oh also the fact they voted Obama was he offered and was admittedly lying about change. Its also why they voted Trump.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If a bunch of people are trying to tell you that this is something they perceive, you continuing to say "Then why do i say it isn't" is really frustrating.

i can understand how being wrong is frustrating. people have already explained their views at length, and "bernie's a centrist :derp:" or "i'll never ever vote for the dems again!!" isn't a thing people other than wj are saying

if you're not understanding what people are saying in their posts i would suggest you go and reread the posts and ponder on them

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 23, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What idiots would trust the USA now?

At this point in time, and probably for the next decade or so, not too many governments. But Obama managed to get some genuinely important poo poo done in terms of bilateral and multilateral arms control, after Bush completely set fire to the international disarmament regime. True, Trump would love to upend it all if he could, purely out of spite, but it looks to me like he might not be able to, at least right now. He's not going to be able to undo New-START, and he might not even be able to kill the Iran deal.

More importantly, though, there are reasons for governments to dismantle their WMD programs that don't require trust in the U.S., chief among them the prevailing international disarmament norm. As well as, of course, the fear that the U.S. will flip out and invade, like the nitwits that we are.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh lol. Now to the pedulum swing argument. Such a naive argument. Also lol at the do nothing because Trump will just screw everything up. This is why you and the rest of the losers get bullied. Oh also the fact they voted Obama was he offered and was admittedly lying about change. Its also why they voted Trump.

It'd be real nice if Americans actually understood that the president, by constitutional definition, cannot make sweeping changes like they want and need, and if you wanna change things you have to do it in congress and in state level elections, but it's really hard to do that so let's just elect one after another and keep bitching about it instead.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'd have to vote Democrat first to not vote Democrat again

just lol if you've cast a vote for one of the genocidal war criminals they've passed off as candidates unless you live in a battleground state

Arguing against lesser evil stuff is especially stupid now, in the the age of Trump, and if you don't think referring to them all as genocidal war criminals constantly doesn't affect the way battleground states vote, I've got a bridge to sell you.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

YOU POSTIN' BAD

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The posts about not voting or not voting Democratic are just so strange to me. I understand the frustration at not being progressive enough or sure of their convictions. How do some expect to enact their preferred policies without them?

Their currently a dam between the American people and a flood of facism, and people are deciding to not help repair the drat because it wasn't good enough in the first place. This only makes the dam fail faster.

We should totally find all the ways the dam was ineffective, and punish all the people that profited off it being built to poorly, but the dam must be saved and strengthened.

How do you expect to get progressive policies enacted, not to mention protect existing ones if and when that dam breaks. It could easily break in 2018. I have seen no indication from the voting public that this is going to stop.

Please help me understand this. Am I framing it wrong? Is it not a valid analogy?

I disagree with the idea of not voting and think that voting Democratic (in contested elections/swing states, anyways) is definitely the best option, but I can understand the mindset behind not voting.

It might help if you image a situation where Donald Trump was running against John McCain for President. In such a situation, McCain would definitely be the lesser of two evils and voting for him would be the optimal choice, but it's not very hard for me to understand why someone would think "I don't want to give my support to either of these people." I think that many liberals don't understand that some people on the left view elections like the one in 2016 like this, rather than a "good, but not ideal, candidate vs bad one" situation.

Like, to reiterate, I disagree with that logic, but I can still understand why someone who isn't an idiot might feel that way.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Prediction: Democrats will get back into power and normalize all of Trumps policies.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It'd be real nice if Americans actually understood that the president, by constitutional definition, cannot make sweeping changes like they want and need, and if you wanna change things you have to do it in congress and in state level elections, but it's really hard to do that so let's just elect one after another and keep bitching about it instead

Nice attempt to change the subject. The dems are losers and deserve to lose if they keep their current trajectory up.

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Prediction: Democrats will get back into power and normalize all of Trumps policies.

Of course they will.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

farraday posted:

I don't owe you 30 seconds of blatantly obvious google searching, which, btw you're kind of poo poo at because Sharron Cooks is not a member of the DNC, she was a delegate to the convention.

In the interest of correcting false information, the person in question is Marisa Richmond.
Ugh, this poo poo drives me nuts. You must realize there's always a non-zero chance that when you tell someone to figure out a fact on their own that they'll come to a wrong conclusion, you're not an idiot right? I can at least understand a principled "I refuse to answer questions, and if that results in people thinking wrong things, then oh well that's not my fault" stance, I mean I think that's very stupid and unproductive, but it's at least self-consistent. A stance of "I refuse to answer questions, until someone else bothers to attempt to answer the question incorrectly, then I will answer the question, because while I want people to know true things, I don't want to spend 30 seconds telling people true things, unless someone else spent 30 seconds telling people false things, then it suddenly becomes worthwhile to spend 30 seconds saying true things" is just unproductive and incoherent.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 23, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's more than one guy, probably about 50% of this thread right now.

I missed this earlier, but that's almost certainly not true. Name names, so we can count.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

I missed this earlier, but that's almost certainly not true. Name names, so we can count.

I'm lazy, just count all the guys who've replied to me with something like "YOU POSTIN BAD"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Someone asked about the wokeness of Thomas Frank and my answer is that he is more right than wrong and he definitely has the Dems number on how they're loving up and how they got there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Crowsbeak posted:

Nice attempt to change the subject. The dems are losers and deserve to lose if they keep their current trajectory up.

If you haven't noticed, I wasn't part of this conversation until I made that post, so it's not so much "changing the subject" as just a new perspective. Get in a pissing match with someone who cares, dude.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
More white terrorists that the media chooses not to cover

https://twitter.com/MichaelSocolow/status/922510755181793280

Ytlaya posted:

I disagree with the idea of not voting and think that voting Democratic (in contested elections/swing states, anyways) is definitely the best option, but I can understand the mindset behind not voting.

It might help if you image a situation where Donald Trump was running against John McCain for President. In such a situation, McCain would definitely be the lesser of two evils and voting for him would be the optimal choice, but it's not very hard for me to understand why someone would think "I don't want to give my support to either of these people." I think that many liberals don't understand that some people on the left view elections like the one in 2016 like this, rather than a "good, but not ideal, candidate vs bad one" situation.

Like, to reiterate, I disagree with that logic, but I can still understand why someone who isn't an idiot might feel that way.

Thanks, I really am trying to understand the left on this, and this helps.

How would the leftist folks in here feel about Al Franken at this point? would he generate excitement and interest, or is he seen as more of the same?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Power_of_the_glory posted:

They'll expand private prisons but pass a new law requiring them all to be completely powered by renewable energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm sorry, but I don't think there anything anyone can really do about this sort of bizarre paranoia you have. Disliking some leftists personally is understandable, but it sorta crosses a line once you start honestly thinking they're a threat in some way. If you actually read some of the left-wing threads (like suck zone in C-SPAM or something), most people on this forum (which is considerably more left-leaning than the general American public) support Sanders, even if they view him as a compromise candidate.

I've said this before, but I think what you should really be thinking about is why this bothers and concerns you so much. There's not really any evidence that people being too far left is a primary cause of people not voting (what evidence we have seems to indicate that Sanders voters - which as far as I know is the only real proxy we have for left-leaning Democrats - voted to a pretty normal extent in the general election), so it seems like this is more about a weird personal grievance you have with leftists.

The people you're complaining about are the only reason the Democrats started to shift to the left, at least in terms of their rhetoric and platform, during and after the 2016 primary. If all Democrats were positive and supportive of the party, nothing would ever change. It seems like the reason this criticism bothers you is based more out of some sort of personal insecurity than it is some legitimate concerns about a hypothetical negative impact leftists might have (which basically just seems like a post hoc justification for the way you feel).

My speculation is that, in my cases, this is due to liberals facing significant criticism from their left to an extent that hasn't really happened in recent decades. I think a lot of this "anti-leftist" (for lack of a better term) sentiment is a sort of defensive thing so some liberals can preserve their idea of "where they stand" in the American political environment, though I'm sure there are other reasons as well that I'm not aware of.

• Locked thread