Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Took this opportunity to overhaul the OP a bit. From now until the release of Nocturne, I've got links to the Previews posted at the very very top for quick access. I've also added links to the BoardGameGeek pages and Secret History articles for every expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The Nocturne set icon is gold, that means the cards are rare.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 23, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the offcolor icon is messing with me a little bit.

Also, Bonus Preview #1 is up!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jabor posted:

I'm confused, because the card names frequently tell you quite a lot about the card. You haven't noticed the stuff like "cards named Village generally give you two actions"?

I think you're confused because you didn't read carefully. I said that cards names give little or no information. Familiarity with the game can tell you that "Village" means actions, witch-and-witch-synonyms mean Curses, and real estate means Victory cards. Perhaps I've been missing some key information, though: please explain how the card names frequently tell you quite a lot about the card.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm actually not super into the set so far, but I'm going to have to play with the cards to say for sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sector_corrector posted:

I'm actually not super into the set so far, but I'm going to have to play with the cards to say for sure.

Well, the good news is that you can try them out this afternoon!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty new to Dominion, with just the base set and seaside, and I'm already pretty intrigued by the Night phase and the preview cards. The complexity seems pretty minimal so far, really interested to see what else the expansion holds. I'd love to play around with Devil's Workshop or Ghost Town.

Although I'm still hoping I can get ahold of Cornucopia/Guilds at some point first...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Night is a cool mechanic. I was honestly stumped how they were going to be different from durations so it's interesting to see a lot of them are durations as well, and they all have simple ways they interact with your turn that would make them impossible/trickier to do during the regular phases. Art nitpick - I wish the border on Night/Durations were more evenly split between the colors or else favored the Night aspect, I like the new color and I doubt we will see more of it, while we have a ton of durations.

Also psyched they've continued to do so many, and that they're previewing them on Dominion Online. By end of the week they'll be a decent variety of cards to cycle through.

Really intrigued to see what the deal with the other mechanics will be, particularly Heirlooms. And what the other two themes will be - they only mentioned the Night phase, the Heirlooms, and the Hexes/Boons in the game description.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nocturne previews are up on https://dominion.games. Who wants to have a try?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 23, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cards are hella fun.

I think I misunderstood Imp at first and thought it was more akin to Herald/Vassal where you needed to play from the cards you drew, which in retrospect makes no sense. It instead is like a weaker lab that encourages you to have a variety of cards, especially cantrips and such to keep the chain going. Paired with Devil's Workshop it's really nice because you can gain those 3-4$ cantrips and early golds for payload.

Also totally interesting to see these interact with other cards. i hosed up one game by getting a few City Quarters which of course didn't give a poo poo about my Night cards, and I just played with an opponent who kept shuffling out his Nights with Wandering Minstrels.

Ghost Town is fun but especially great as a second buy on like an 11 or whatever; didn't get to setup any cool "top of deck" combos yet but I feel like it would be great for that.

Crypt I found a little hard to use, the one time I stored a bunch of silvers I just ended up with crap the next few turns.

Raider is super rad, I played it in a game with Swap Hag and Storyteller and would start turns with 9 coins then just use them to draw my deck and play more Raiders/SHs for next turn.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Imp a card like Rats, where it's possible to accidentally, automatically, fill your deck with a card that doesn't synergize well? And will wreck your day absent a way to trash it?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Is Imp a card like Rats, where it's possible to accidentally, automatically, fill your deck with a card that doesn't synergize well? And will wreck your day absent a way to trash it?

Nah, only if you are really not paying attention. You can choose to just stop gaining them with Devil's Workshop, you just need to be careful not to overload on those more than anything, since if you play multiple DW's the same turn you gain Imps after your second card gained. If you're overloaded with Imps, just don't play those last DWs.

I think worst case scenario with Imps is you'd have a bunch of Imps and a bunch of terminals and you'd be able to play 1 Imp then 1 terminal. The nice thing is you can't draw Nights dead so that helps avoid a totally dead hand as well, and you can always start gaining silvers or golds with DW if your deck is really crappy. I think you'd have to work really hard to get to that point tho.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I want to see how reactions interact with Night phase, and how many more stupid and exotic ways I can make Tunnels explode into Gold.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I really wish Night cards were actions, or at least cost actions (the former might cause rules trouble).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

More previews: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17770.0

Warning: furry.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, that accounts for another 42 cards in the set just for Heirlooms. 6 each of 7 heirlooms.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jivjov posted:

Well, that accounts for another 42 cards in the set just for Heirlooms. 6 each of 7 heirlooms.

Plus 6 Ghosts.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Everything still feels pretty straightforward and elegant.

If this continues I might be tempted to get Nocturne before some of the older expansions I'm missing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
YES YES SHEPHERD GIVE ME MORE WAYS TO gently caress UP THESE TUNNELS

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

And there's the first example of a "Cursed" card that--crazy as this sounds--involves Curses!

My guess for Cursed Village: +1 Card +2 Actions, gain a Curse for every empty pile.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Puts paid to someone's hope for a starting hand of entirely expansion cards though, unless you just decide to throw in Shelters anyway, which is your right.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

jivjov posted:

Nocturne previews are up on https://dominion.games. Who wants to have a try?

How do you access them? I was going to try Nocturne in a bot game but it didn't show up in my choices. Do I have to buy it first?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well that solves the issue of seven unique copper replacements needing to get dealt out at the beginning of a game.

But yea it is a slight bummer you would need those seven actions to get a completely heirloom starting deck. Then if you wanted to have something that cared about variety like Fairgrounds, you're nearly at a full kingdom. Could still be fun tho. Also lol if wolf den was in play you'd start with negative 30 points.

CaptainRightful posted:

And there's the first example of a "Cursed" card that--crazy as this sounds--involves Curses!

My guess for Cursed Village: +1 Card +2 Actions, gain a Curse for every empty pile.

That would need to cost less than 3 to be worth it since it's strictly worse than village, but might not even come into play since piles might not empty at all or would late game (and often does because the curse pile itself is already out). When you're bragging about being right you gotta stick the landing mate.

I think the obvious comparison of Cursed Gold would make it something like a more powerful "village with a bonus" that either cursed you when you played it, or a regularish (but still better or cheaper) village that comes with a curse the first time you buy it.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 24, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lorini posted:

How do you access them? I was going to try Nocturne in a bot game but it didn't show up in my choices. Do I have to buy it first?

You have to go into advanced table options and check the "Nocturne preview" option. I've done it in matchmaking and games against friends, not sure if it's any different for bot games.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

You have to go into advanced table options and check the "Nocturne preview" option. I've done it in matchmaking and games against friends, not sure if it's any different for bot games.

Looks like the preview is only available in Automatch and not for a bot game, which is kind of odd but I suppose they want extra time to program the AI to know what to do with these cards.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Looks like the preview is only available in Automatch and not for a bot game, which is kind of odd but I suppose they want extra time to program the AI to know what to do with these cards.

You can use it in bot games as well, just create a table and add the bot.

The AI doesn't know what to do with anything else, why should these be different?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With the next bonus preview...we FINALLY have our blue dog

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

jivjov posted:

With the next bonus preview...we FINALLY have our blue dog

nice link for context there

Such a good :shittydog:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

Just click the "Nocturne cards" box in advanced options. Seems Nocturne games are automatically unrated, which is cool.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

That would need to cost less than 3 to be worth it since it's strictly worse than village, but might not even come into play since piles might not empty at all or would late game (and often does because the curse pile itself is already out). When you're bragging about being right you gotta stick the landing mate.

I think the obvious comparison of Cursed Gold would make it something like a more powerful "village with a bonus" that either cursed you when you played it, or a regularish (but still better or cheaper) village that comes with a curse the first time you buy it.

OK, what I said originally, but with +2 coin or something like that. I just think it would be interesting to have an engine facilitator come with a late-game risk.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
loling at the guy earlier who thought it was ridiculous that Cursed X would involve Curses, and then said that naming conventions don't mean anything in Dominion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In general, I like Heirlooms a lot more than Night cards. Shelters are one of my favorite mechanics in the game, so anything that swaps out more starting cards is welcome.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, with Castles, Knights, Tournament, Ruins, Shelters and Heirloom cards, you can get a completely insane scoring Fairgrounds. Has anyone ever calculated max points from a single FG?

edit: Leaving out Black Market, since that's sort of a gimme.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 24, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

That good, good dog is going to be hilarious in combo decks that require you to discard cards

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sector_corrector posted:

Also, with Castles, Knights, Tournament, Ruins, Shelters and Heirloom cards, you can get a completely insane scoring Fairgrounds. Has anyone ever calculated max points from a single FG?

edit: Leaving out Black Market, since that's sort of a gimme.

Heirlooms don't meaningfully increase the point scoring for Fairgrounds.

Your max non-BM is already something like
  • Castles
  • Knights
  • Tournament
  • Page
  • Peasant
  • Marauder
  • Young Witch + Encampment
  • 3 Split Piles
  • Platinum/Colony

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

deadwing posted:

That good, good dog is going to be hilarious in combo decks that require you to discard cards

He's an old dog. Not very good defending against attacks, but great at playing fetch (discard combos).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toshimo posted:

Heirlooms don't meaningfully increase the point scoring for Fairgrounds.

Your max non-BM is already something like
  • Castles
  • Knights
  • Tournament
  • Page
  • Peasant
  • Marauder
  • Young Witch + Encampment
  • 3 Split Piles
  • Platinum/Colony

You can't legally generate Platinum / Colony with that set-up, can you? There are no Prosperity cards. Regardless, the Shelter start condition would give you an additional card (and also be possible due to Marauders). The highest Heirloom we've seen would be better than any split pile, since it would have 3 uniques instead of 2 (not sure if that's enough to tip the balance for another point in Fairgrounds).

I forgot about Young Witch with a split pile as the Bane, which is effectively 3 unique cards.

A Young Witch with a 3 card Heirloom as its Bane would effectively give you four unique cards, but so far that isn't possible since Cemetery costs 4.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

You can't legally generate Platinum / Colony with that set-up, can you? There are no Prosperity cards.

There's no official rule for putting in platinum/colony, the thing in the manual about doing it based on proportion of prosperity cards is only a suggestion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

taser rates posted:

There's no official rule for putting in platinum/colony, the thing in the manual about doing it based on proportion of prosperity cards is only a suggestion.

Ah. In that case it seems like your max for Fairgrounds is something like this (not counting Black Market):

Base Cards (Province, Duchy, Estate, Copper, Silver, Gold, Curse), 7 Unique
Prosperity Cards (Colony and Platinum), 2 Unique
Shelters (3 Unique)

1. Young Witch, 1 Unique
>>Page as the Bane, 5 Unique
2. Castles, 8 Unique
3. Knights, 10 Unique
4. Death Cart, 1 Unique
>>Ruins, 5 Unique
5. Tournament, 1 Unique
>>Prizes, 5 Unique
6. Peasant, 5 Unique
7. Cemetery, 3 Unique
8. Any Split, 2 Unique
9. Any Split, 2 Unique
10. Fairgrounds

Which is 61, unless I did the math wrong or missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Marauder over Death Cart because Spoils.