Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah like, who cares if you are 304 or 305

It doesn’t make a difference to anything

Like if you are enjoying playing the game and you hit max light, cool but don’t torture yourself to get a number one higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey I know video games don't matter y'all. I just like big maxed out numbers okay

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tei posted:

Maybe they think they don't have enough content for that. That people will have full gear too faster and say "theres nothing to do".

I suppose they probably could have enough content if they focused a little less on making ghost shells.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Yeah like, who cares if you are 304 or 305

It doesn’t make a difference to anything

Like if you are enjoying playing the game and you hit max light, cool but don’t torture yourself to get a number one higher.

You can't get 300 engrams and elevate your other gear, so yeah, it matters.

the good fax machine posted:

I suppose they probably could have enough content if they focused a little less on making ghost shells.

Ghost Shells are hilariously stupid. All they seem to be good for is finding more chests on planets, which just makes you hit the chest cooldown faster.

If you get a 10% xp in crucible + extra faction emblems, you're pretty much set.

I'm starting to think the best patrol ghost is 10% xp and chest find. gently caress those lil resource nodes. They also help you hit the chest cap faster, which results in fewer planet tokens.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 23, 2017

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
I’ve got two hunters to 20 but swapping gear and redoing milestones on the alt didn’t get me better luminous gear based on power level. Is there no point to duplicating classes anymore?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chilichimp posted:

You can't get 300 engrams and elevate your other gear, so yeah, it matters.

You can get plenty of 295-300 blues that will elevate your gear just fine, not that it matters since the difference between 304 and 305 is nothing and the difference between 295 and 305 is double nothing

IBentMyWookie posted:

I’ve got two hunters to 20 but swapping gear and redoing milestones on the alt didn’t get me better luminous gear based on power level. Is there no point to duplicating classes anymore?

Yeah, basically

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IBentMyWookie posted:

Correct, they patched that out shortly after launch. Duplicate classes is no longer a path to faster leveling.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yep, there's a system in place to prevent you from benefitting from multiple of the same class.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure why they bothered with character slots for D2. Start up the game the first time, you get prefab titan/hunter/warlock pregenned characters and when you select it you get the face customization stage.

Also you shouldn't have to back out to the character select screen to switch classes. Add an extra button near the subclass selection to instantly morph between the three classes so you can swap while staying in your fireteam. :colbert:

Brine
Aug 3, 2007
Also for simplicity they should remove non-arc subclasses on warlock and titan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes they need subclass week, you pledge to a subclass and go farm tokens and whichever subclass for each class gets the fewest turnins is permanently deleted from the game.

At least until the live team redesigns it to be something fun, and they run another subclass week. It's evolution bitches. :colbert:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rubellavator posted:

Yep, there's a system in place to prevent you from benefitting from multiple of the same class.

poo poo I must have missed that. Glad I saw your post before I started leveling up a second warlock.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Crucible is poo poo, I loving hate supremacy and I seem to get it as the mode 4/5 games I play. I can't do all the modes from D1 and I can't queue for what mode I want to play which are both dumb as poo poo. All of these changes from D1 for an esport that doesn't interest anyone. At this point I don't think either Bungie or individuals can even run tournaments because there are no custom modes you can set up. Truly a well made and thought out multiplayer experience that is esport ready.

I want to like D2 as much as I did D1, but at this rate I'm glad I held off buying the season pass at launch.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

haveblue posted:

Correct, they patched that out shortly after launch. Duplicate classes is no longer a path to faster leveling.

drat that sucks. So if I had different classes I’d at least benefit from repeating the different milestones by hoping for higher weapon rolls?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

IBentMyWookie posted:

drat that sucks. So if I had different classes I’d at least benefit from repeating the different milestones by hoping for higher weapon rolls?

Yeah, plus you would get to experience titan jump for 1/3rd of the time you’re farming milestones.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

You can get plenty of 295-300 blues that will elevate your gear just fine, not that it matters since the difference between 304 and 305 is nothing and the difference between 295 and 305 is double nothing

Yeah, basically

At 304, blues drop at 293/294 and are worthless for infusing anything. You're basically waiting for powerful engrams to reset to raise anything above 300.

Vendors also never randomly sell at 300, which is what I was talking about in the first place.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Ok whatever I don’t know the specifics of the drop system because my point is it doesn’t matter and who cares

There is no reason to get to 305 light unless you are creating a reason for yourself. Free yourself from your self imposed punishment.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Reduces your stress for leveling up in XP1~

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FishBulb posted:

Ok whatever I don’t know the specifics of the drop system because my point is it doesn’t matter and who cares

There is no reason to get to 305 light unless you are creating a reason for yourself. Free yourself from your self imposed punishment.

You are in a time machine timeported back to 1984. You are in a bar. You naturally flow to the back where theres a small group of people lodly celebrating the progress of a guy in a arcade machine. The machine is playing Galaga. The dude completed level 255 with 65535 points. Everyone is celbrating, drunk has hell, some women hugs you, her nipples are solid steel. You feel unconfortable "points are meaningless" you say out loud. Silence. Many faces look at you, angry. "What are you, some zen buddist monk?" Say one in strong liverpoolian accent.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Liverpudlian. Voted 4.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Certain PVP modes take your light level into account when facing competition. Being 304 just makes it harder to diversify your builds with max light poo poo.

305, otoh, allows you to max all of your good off-build poo poo with random trash you get from planet vendors.

It's not a punishment I inflict on myself, they've inflicted it on me. You preaching buddhist principles re: advancement in an RPG is kind of misplaced wisdom. No one is beating themselves up over not being 305, we just -want- to be 305, full stop, and the reasons are evident beyond the obvious e-peen measurements.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Chilichimp posted:

Certain PVP modes take your light level into account when facing competition.

What?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Certain PVP modes take your light level into account when facing competition.

no, they don't

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress, my entire point is gone. I guess they stripped that from IB and Trials?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Chilichimp posted:

Certain PVP modes take your light level into account when facing competition. Being 304 just makes it harder to diversify your builds with max light poo poo.

Nnnnnope.

I look forward to jumping past 305 easily with my first blue drop from the expansion.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
they are stuck in the destiny 1 mindset where light level actually mattered and was also difficult to raise and required min/maxing to not waste your time. that was bad but so is this, they pivoted way too hard in the other direction and everything is loving pointless may as well go play some hoop and stick.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

they are stuck in the destiny 1 mindset where light level actually mattered and was also difficult to raise and required min/maxing to not waste your time. that was bad but so is this, they pivoted way too hard in the other direction and everything is loving pointless may as well go play some hoop and stick.

Uh hoop and stick is great please dont belittle my pastimes in between content drops.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chilichimp posted:

305, otoh, allows you to max all of your good off-build poo poo with random trash you get from planet vendors.

It's not a punishment I inflict on myself, they've inflicted it on me. You preaching buddhist principles re: advancement in an RPG is kind of misplaced wisdom. No one is beating themselves up over not being 305, we just -want- to be 305, full stop, and the reasons are evident beyond the obvious e-peen measurements.

No they don’t and even when they did in Destiny 1 they didn’t. There is no reason to be past 300 in Destiny 2, and you could argue that isn’t even very important (prestige NF is 300 but you could do that lower if you wanted) I dunno what the HM raid is at.

The game gives you no reason to care about being past 300.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

FishBulb posted:

No they don’t and even when they did in Destiny 1 they didn’t. There is no reason to be past 300 in Destiny 2, and you could argue that isn’t even very important (prestige NF is 300 but you could do that lower if you wanted) I dunno what the HM raid is at.

Someone on reddit posted about how they did damage tests with 305 light in the raid vs 300 and there was no difference. I'm not sure how true that is, but it seems plausible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even in D1 when "light level mattered" Bungie rigged the curve so you had to basically be some dipshit running around in green armor to actually see an impact on your ability to fight.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Light level didn’t even effectively matter in D1 IB or Trials, either. On paper it did, but it was so rare to see someone participate at a light level where it made a noticeable difference that it may as well have been LL disabled.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Anora posted:

Like there is almost no reason to do Strikes, PvP,

Strikes
A) Linear and easy
B) Stay in a queue
C) Don't take long
D) Give a lot of tokens compared to other activities
E) You somehow don't have all the Vanguard weapons yet :negative:

Crucible
A) Prove you aren't a huge weenie
B) Hone your skills
C) Killing is fun

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

xzzy posted:

Even in D1 when "light level mattered" Bungie rigged the curve so you had to basically be some dipshit running around in green armor to actually see an impact on your ability to fight.

Even the illusion of getting more damage helps. Every time you wipe in a endgame activity like a raid or a nightfall you can tell yourself "This is hard, but If I get gud, I will be more powerful in the next Iron Banner".

Bungie "lol, who cares" nihilist approach to endgame as killed Trials, Iron Banner and the Raid for a lot of people.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My favorite thing about this game is it made me skip my annual resub to WoW in October every loving year cuz my brain is broken.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
What is the point of the Prestige versions of things anyway? As far as I can tell the nightfall doesn't give anything extra and the raid is a mediocre shader and an emblem. Being 285 is where light really stops mattering in D2 for the regular raid.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FishBulb posted:

305 is 300, it'sn just the confusing mod situation. People who are 304 are 299.

the reason to be at 300 (without mods) is to be able to infuse your other poo poo up to 300 to be able to use it

this isn't hard dude.

Finally, even though basically nothing matters, it's frustrating to be held back from the above by what amounts to pure RNG. Bungie failed to learn that RNG is best used to add variety, not to govern progression, and if RNG is gonna govern progression it needs to be frequent and forgiving as hell (AoT style).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You can use 299 gear instead of 300 gear. Nothing bad will come of it. I promise.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

99% of my issues with D2's loot would be fixed if there was three times more of it. Just like D1, people who start the game in Y2 are in for a treat

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Numbers really mattered in WoW but as it was said - they mean jack poo poo here past like 285-290. It's a sham of a system and Bungie needs to be taken to task for loving up the end game once again AFTER LEARNING WHAT THE gently caress after 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deadwing posted:

99% of my issues with D2's loot would be fixed if there was three times more of it. Just like D1, people who start the game in Y2 are in for a treat

There are hundreds of "classified" items still in the manifest, so unless that's all development poo poo that didn't get purged from the database there's probably a ton of unreleased stuff for them to string us along with.