Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Maaaaaan, whomever it was that said Blade Runner 2049 is a good view of the future ecologically was on the fuckin' money. Highly suggest catching that before they pull it from theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Telephones posted:

Is there evidence to suggest that consumer electronics will, within the next few decades, become very scarce due to environmental abuse?

There is a limited amount of the rare earth metals used to make them on the planet, and if even half of the world's population used them at the rate that North America does then we'd run out in a very short amount of time (less than 20 years i think but I can't remember the exact amount of time). Consumption of electronics will increase dramatically as the two most populated nations in the world become more developed, along with others. Eventually we'd have to excavate landfills in which deposits of metals are expected to be found, the extra work and land management involved, not to mention the costs of disassembly and reassembly, would likely increase the price and scarcity by a great deal.

Also by "without computers" I would imagine a lot of people mean "without internet", which is a pretty obvious consequence of worldwide war and instability along with the collapse and descent into authoritarian fascism of most first world countries that most people accept as inevitable at this point.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 23, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

There is a limited amount of the rare earth metals used to make them on the planet, and if even half of the world's population used them at the rate that North America does then we'd run out in a very short amount of time (less than 20 years i think but I can't remember the exact amount of time). Consumption of electronics will increase dramatically as the two most populated nations in the world become more developed, along with others. Eventually we'd have to excavate landfills in which deposits of metals are expected to be found, the extra work and land management involved, not to mention the costs of disassembly and reassembly, would likely increase the price and scarcity by a great deal.

Also by "without computers" I would imagine a lot of people mean "without internet", which is a pretty obvious consequence of worldwide war and instability along with the collapse and descent into authoritarian fascism of most first world countries that most people accept as inevitable at this point.

This does not mesh with my cyberpunk future expectations at all. Supposed to be computers and poo poo in everything with giant metallic complexes of glowing neon death and everyone is hooked up to the internet 2.0 by their latest cyber implants. :argh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

You're making a common mistake about how resources are calculated. They're calculated at current prices as the price increases more resources become viable. We're not at risk of running out of rare earths in the next 20 years. Instead prices will rise.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It wont matter when were all slaving away in the unobtanium mines of northern Alberta.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I didn't mean that we were gonna run out in 20 years, that's a tangential half-remembered statistic about the idea of the rest of the world using electronics like North America does.

And yes, of course prices would rise, and once something becomes expensive and rare enough it doesn't make much of a difference whether or not it's technically been depleted. It's not like we're firing them into space when we "consume" them, we're just making them more inaccessible and difficult to make into consumer electronics.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 23, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

I didn't mean that we were gonna run out in 20 years, that's a tangential half-remembered statistic about the idea of the rest of the world using electronics like North America does.

And yes, of course prices would rise, and once something becomes expensive and rare enough it doesn't make much of a difference whether or not it's technically been depleted.

Right but that's the nature of resource cycles, increased prices means new ores come online, we increase the efficiency of the use of that resource, and it becomes worthwhile to develop new extraction or processing technologies.

I don't think there's any strong evidence we're going to support the idea that we're going to stop being able to have computers and networked information.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

And yes, of course prices would rise, and once something becomes expensive and rare enough it doesn't make much of a difference whether or not it's technically been depleted. It's not like we're firing them into space when we "consume" them, we're just making them more inaccessible and difficult to make into consumer electronics.

Actually we have done a terrible loving job of littering the orbit around our planet with old dead satellites so yeah, we have been firing it off into space. :v:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I certainly don't mean to imply that computers are going to disappear and stop being a thing humanity has access to, just that there's going to be a pretty big change from how it is now. I for one would be thrilled to live in a world where we lasted long enough to run out of non-landfill rare earth metals,

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Telephones posted:

Is there evidence to suggest that consumer electronics will, within the next few decades, become very scarce due to environmental abuse?

The graph is a bit older but you may not get an electric car all for yourself.

Big version:
https://i.imgur.com/bR4ZYCw.jpg

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the sooner we all die, the better

hth

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Laserjet 4P posted:

Big version:

This chart has the exact same problem I was discussing in the previous post. This chart uses reserve numbers which are inherently economically based. What that chart does is take the total amount economic to mine at this price and divide it annual consumption. There can be billions of tons of ore available but too expensive to mine at today's price that won't be accounted for in that chart because that's not how reserves work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It also fails to take substitutions into effect which is what everyone keep tripping over with peak oil.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

the sooner we all die, the better

hth

Sorta makes getting all bent out of a shape because a sportsball player takes a knee during the national anthem seem pointless!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

WaryWarren posted:

sportsball

Mom, I asked you; please stop posting here it's embarrassing for me.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Trabisnikof posted:

This chart has the exact same problem I was discussing in the previous post. This chart uses reserve numbers which are inherently economically based. What that chart does is take the total amount economic to mine at this price and divide it annual consumption. There can be billions of tons of ore available but too expensive to mine at today's price that won't be accounted for in that chart because that's not how reserves work.

To reinforce this point, the US Mountain Pass rare earths mine filed for bankruptcy last year, even though they still have estimated over 10 million tons of high quality ore left in the mine. They just can't compete with Chinese prices for mining. There are many other sources of rare earths minerals, but why should we bother when cheap safe Chinese mines exist? :capitalism:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Things "running out" and being prohibitively expensive are the same thing fyi

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Things "running out" and being prohibitively expensive are the same thing fyi

Technological advances and the high elasticity of the valuation of human life in the third world makes that impossible to predict. Just because something is more expensive (or cheaper) today does not mean that it will be so tomorrow.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Laserjet 4P posted:

Big version:

Do you realize how wasteful it is for everyone to have their own car, how much time each car spends idle? The sharing economy will ensure that many, many people will not have their own electric vehicle.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
For all that we call it a sharing economy, getting people to actually share trips carpool style seems like a reasonably tough thing to coordinate but an important goal. Somewhere between Uber, car share, and public transit lies the perfect system.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
Uber/Lyft style services will become much more common, especially when autonomous tech is widely deployed.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

And the United States isn't?

More of a Plutocracy. Google "DuPont Heir Rapist" for a nice example.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.59cc09198793

quote:

The study suggests a possible release of about 190 petagrams over the course of the century from the top meter of the Earth’s soil, which it calculates is “equivalent to the past two decades of carbon emissions from fossil fuel burning.” And Melillo said that the possibility of this occurring isn’t adequately taken into account in future climate change projections.

Between this and ESAS permafrost degradation, I wonder when it'll hit the scientific mainstream that AGW merely kicked off a much, much larger feedback mechanism. 190PG of carbon is about 60% of what was required to hit the mass extinction tipping point that was brought up earlier in this thread.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
gently caress yeah. it's happening. no need for the meteor strike, the yellowstone eruption, the alien invasion, the rapture. We did it all ourselves, we designed our destruction. And the best part is we get to see it all fall apart in real time: from our computers, our TVs, our cell phones. The atmosphere, the oceans, the fauna, the ice, the animals, our societies, our media, our politicians, our friends, our neighbors, ourselves. Everything will experience a transformation with a magnitude never before seen in the span of human civilization. Don't let yourself wallow in misery. Take solace in the fact that you got free tickets to one of the biggest events in the history of the universe. God bless!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Oh chin up, plant some trees and care for some bees

Not gonna work but its more cheerful

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
it's not going to save the world but it can absolutely create refugia, or little oases for humans and animals alike to take shelter from the cataclysm and then spring forth to repopulate the earth in a thousand years or whenever

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

the old ceremony posted:

it's not going to save the world but it can absolutely create refugia, or little oases for humans and animals alike to take shelter from the cataclysm and then spring forth to repopulate the earth in a thousand years or whenever

Ecosystem collapse doesn't work like that sorry

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ecosystem collapse doesn't work like that sorry

it kinda does though

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Minge Binge posted:

Take solace in the fact that you got free tickets to one of the biggest events in the history of the universe. God bless!

This was basically what was going through my head every time I looked at a GOES-16 loop of Irma and Maria. At least we will have some hella good satellites and media to document the collapse of human existence.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

treerat posted:

Do you realize how wasteful it is for everyone to have their own car, how much time each car spends idle? The sharing economy will ensure that many, many people will not have their own electric vehicle.

Buy a self-driving EV car. Have it pay for you by sharing it to others. Use the battery to augment the utility during peak use. Get paid by the utility. etc. etc.

Cars are sitting around 90% of the time anyway.

And there's already an AirBnB like thing for cars. Turo.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

it kinda does though

Do you think that when everything goes to poo poo people are just gonna sit around and starve rather than go to war with each other over resources? Climate change isn't a death sentence for certain parts of the world, but the fact that those parts of the world share a planet with billions of starving people with nowhere to live means that they're just as screwed as anyone else.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yes. Unless these livable 'oases' you're creating are significantly geographically isolated, people are going to flock to and demolish them.

It's why you want an ocean between yourself and the plebs, like the folks buying property in NZ are doing.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

Do you think that when everything goes to poo poo people are just gonna sit around and starve rather than go to war with each other over resources? Climate change isn't a death sentence for certain parts of the world, but the fact that those parts of the world share a planet with billions of starving people with nowhere to live means that they're just as screwed as anyone else.

Most of humanity is geographically concentrated. A downtown city center? Sure it'll be a bloodbath. Iqaluit? Okay, yeah, whatever you say.

Maybe if humans were a homogeneous mixture across the planet your argument would be absolute, but they aren't. We're also so reliant on infrastructure by and large that I think most people will shrivel up and die in place should their infrastructure collapse around them. I also think that societal collapse will be extremely nonlinear and abrupt; our system works up until it doesn't.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's why you want an ocean between yourself and the plebs, like the folks buying property in NZ are doing.
i'm in australia

a single tree that retains some green foliage during drought can keep a dozen animals and birds and a few hundred insects alive that would otherwise die in dry spells. it is possible to build these refuges in places that are either inhospitable to humans or useless due to land abuse. it's perfectly possible to get reforestation going on land that can no longer support crops. I'm helping with salt marsh right now, it's ex-agricultural land that will never hold stock or be built on again because it's ending up underwater more and more frequently but it supports thousands of other species that don't care all that much about inundation or actively benefit from it

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
This looks like its gonna happen in the next decade or two - is that correct?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Iqaluit's gonna thaw and fall into the ocean, homie. They losing 40m per year in some parts of the north.

Also that's a circumstance of geographical location, not of human action making Iqaluit better to live in by planting trees and learning how to garden. I mean I've been pretty consistent in saying that moving to New Zealand is the smart move if you've got the means to do so. It's kinda the main reason I went back to college to get a degree that can get me on the list of professions that they expect to have need of in the future.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Telephones posted:

The main issue of uncertainty right now is that we're looking at exponential feedbacks. When we look at the size of methane seeps in the ESAS for example, we see a power law distribution of bubble plumes with larger plumes emitting about 5 base ten orders of magnitude more methane than smaller plumes. If permafrost cap breach can continue to allow methane release at sizes a few orders of magnitude above the levels we see now, then human emissions can become completely dwarfed by methane release.

Regardless, when you look at middle-of-the-road outcomes, we will likely see ice sheet collapse and runaway warming lead to economic collapse around the 2040-2060 time window. This isn't taking into effect other confounding factors like mass insect or shell-builder extinction which we've been seeing hints of in scientific literature this year.

I think the 2020s is when scientific research will truly show us the writing on the wall, and I think interesting mass actions will occur as humanity moves from the denial phase to the anger phase of our climate reality.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Telephones posted:

"This" as in "the permafrost's all gonna melt"? Yea probably. There's no due date set in stone for the end of global civilization, but if there was it'd be getting moved earlier almost constantly these days.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

re: Exponential feedbacks

http://envisionation.co.uk/index.php/nick-breeze/203-subsea-permafrost-on-east-siberian-arctic-shelf-now-in-accelerated-decline

quote:

This edge between it being linear and becoming exponential is very fine and lays between frozen and thawed states of subsea permafrost. This is what we call the turning point. To me, I cannot take the responsibility in saying there is a right point between the linear and exponential yet, but following the logic of our investigation and all the evidence that we accumulated so far, it makes me think that we are very near this point. And in this particular point, each year matters.

This is the big difference between being on the linear trend where hundreds and thousands of years matter, and being on the exponential where each year matters.

quote:

Nick Breeze: Does a sudden burst of methane become feasible as the subsea permafrost is destabilised?

Dr. Shakhova: The difference between emissions in background areas and hotspots is orders of magnitude.

It’s about… try the difference between about 3 milligrams per square metre per day [for background areas] or 3,000 grammes per square metre per day. How many orders [of magnitude]? It’s 3-5 orders of magnitude between this.

This is exactly what is the difference between the linear and exponential. If the areas we call hotspots increase about two times there would be huge difference in the scale of emissions. Three times, there would be even bigger difference. If there could be an outburst like a gigatonne release, I don’t know if I can exclude this scenario, and what would be the argument to exclude this scenario?

GHG atmospheric saturation has a logarithmic warming potential, but if release rate can exceed this exponentially to the point that warming potential exceeds the fourth power stefan-boltzmann relationship, then we can in theory create a runaway greenhouse effect. More than anything else, this is what keeps me up at night.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
When one of the worlds leading experts on climate change says they can't discount a gigatonne release from arctic methane, shits hosed.