Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Skwirl posted:

Animals without mammary glands shouldn't have tits.

Edit: Wait, even more puzzling, why the hell does it have a belly button?

What is making the cape over it's crotch fan outward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What is making the cape over it's crotch fan outward?

Giant flies can make you gassy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ecavalli posted:

Please tell me this is legit. I need the Sunday comics to be inexplicably subversive.

There was some other long-running newspapper comic that got taken over by a webcomic guy and became way more subversive... all I can remember is the dude's name was Italian?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phy posted:

There was some other long-running newspapper comic that got taken over by a webcomic guy and became way more subversive... all I can remember is the dude's name was Italian?

Francesco Marciuliano, who does "Sally Forth".

I might not have made his name Italian enough.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Heathcliff. Garfield. Pfft.

Nothing tops Top Cat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ferrule posted:

Heathcliff. Garfield. Pfft.

Nothing tops Top Cat.

:hfive:

The Top Cat theme song has been stuck in my head since this conversation started.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

My Dinner With Serpentor

Forgive the poo poo scan, I'm not responsible, I found this online.

This was cute.

Hardcore History recently covered the campaign between Cesaer and Vercingetorix if you want something to listen to for six hours.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-60-the-celtic-holocaust/

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Zeeman posted:

I mean, his explanation makes sense unless people are getting pregnant from giving blowjobs now

But is the implication now that Jon will be getting hosed by a male dog?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Jon were to give birth to a litter of puppies, because he drank the protein supplement, they would be healthy puppies.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

If Jon were to give birth to a litter of puppies, because he drank the protein supplement, they would be healthy puppies.

phew thank goodness

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jason LaTour did a comic about Ryan North's bad opinions about Porkie Pig and Elmer Fudd (featuring Chip Zdarsky).

https://twitter.com/jasonlatour/status/922124413520183296

For ease of reading:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well, now I want to give Ryan a hug and tell him everything is ok.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Porky Pig is the Schlemazel, this is 101 level stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Jason LaTour did a comic about Ryan North's bad opinions about Porkie Pig and Elmer Fudd (featuring Chip Zdarsky).

https://twitter.com/jasonlatour/status/922124413520183296

For ease of reading:

That seems to address his incorrect opinion of Elmer Fudd, not his completely-valid complaint about Porky Pig.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The panel of Jason and Chip seen from under Ryan's chin is so good.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I thought Porky was the put-upon everyman, kind of an audience surrogate.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The anxious friend thrust into a world of the absurd.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Cabbit posted:

That’s kind. I always thought he was a vehicle to mock speech impediments (and, occasionally, chubby milquetoasts).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Cabbit posted:

nerdman42 posted:

I mean

Mr. Maltose posted:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cabbit posted:

That's his narrative role, but not his personality.

Porky Pig is well-meaning, diligent, and trusting. He is not inclined to upset the established order, nor to visit comeuppance on his antagonists, but rather prefers to play by the rules. His enemies tend to be cheaters, and he usually knows their game. With Daffy, his greatest foil, he vacillates between naive enablement and sarcastic bemusement.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cabbit posted:

nerdman42 posted:

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's amazing how perfectly Tails Gets Trolled captured Porky's character.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ecavalli posted:

That’s kind. I always thought he was a vehicle to mock speech impediments (and, occasionally, chubby milquetoasts).

You know, I can't actually ever think of a time where somebody made fun of Porky specifically about his speech impediment. I'm sure it happened, but as far as I can remember it was always something that was just there, but never actually the butt of a joke.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bongo Bill posted:

That's his narrative role, but not his personality.

Porky Pig is well-meaning, diligent, and trusting. He is not inclined to upset the established order, nor to visit comeuppance on his antagonists, but rather prefers to play by the rules. His enemies tend to be cheaters, and he usually knows their game. With Daffy, his greatest foil, he vacillates between naive enablement and sarcastic bemusement.

He's the Cyclops of the group.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cabbit posted:

You know, I can't actually ever think of a time where somebody made fun of Porky specifically about his speech impediment. I'm sure it happened, but as far as I can remember it was always something that was just there, but never actually the butt of a joke.

Is it a gag when he struggles to say one word and then switches to another? I've never known anyone with a real stutter, not sure if that's what they actually do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Apparently the original voice actor for Porky Pig actually had a stutter, which is why the character has that particular tic. Ultimately the actor's stutter made it difficult for production (he seems to have actually been a much worse stutter than Porky) and so he was replaced after a few years, but they kept the stutter for the character.

Switching words when you get 'stuck' on one is something that actual stutters do as a speaking strategy, so that isn't really a gag. My understanding is that a lot of stutterers have fairly predictable patterns though, so its more likely that they will take a pause and plan their sentence to avoid using works that trip them up - but that doesn't mean they can't still get tangled on other words (especially with tension or stress).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ashcans posted:

Switching words when you get 'stuck' on one is something that actual stutters do as a speaking strategy, so that isn't really a gag. My understanding is that a lot of stutterers have fairly predictable patterns though, so its more likely that they will take a pause and plan their sentence to avoid using works that trip them up - but that doesn't mean they can't still get tangled on other words (especially with tension or stress).

Yep. I've a mild stutter, and this describes my coping behaviors exactly. Plan your sentences. If I get stuck, switch to another word. Stress makes it way worse.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Huh. Come to think of it, you may be right. Particularly in the older cartoons, his stutter was always more of a character trait than joke fodder.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

He's the Cyclops of the group.

Porky Pig doesn't have brain damage, though...

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
The schlemiel is the guy that spills his soup at a dinner party. The schlemazel is the guy who gets soup spilled on him at a dinner party.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Sexual Shiite posted:

The schlemiel is the guy that spills his soup at a dinner party. The schlemazel is the guy who gets soup spilled on him at a dinner party.

What's Hasenpfeffer Incorporated?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The company Yosemite Sam works for in any cartoon he's a chef.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Lobok posted:

Is it a gag when he struggles to say one word and then switches to another? I've never known anyone with a real stutter, not sure if that's what they actually do.

At times it is because sometimes the word he changes to is even more complicated than the original word he was trying to say with a lot of the same points for a stutterer to get stuck on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

John Dyne posted:

At times it is because sometimes the word he changes to is even more complicated than the original word he was trying to say with a lot of the same points for a stutterer to get stuck on.

Or it can be a completely different word, like when he abandons "pistachio" for "yogurt".

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKikitjfWmw

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drax is feeling down and thinks suicide is the way to go so when he encounters a tiny civilization minding their own business who warn him to leave them be he decides to rape their small world and commit death-by-space-jellyfish.

Doesn't go as planned.

The Mighty Thor #314

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

idgi

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Heh heh, they said "penetrate"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
These aren't my glasses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

And I'm not sure either of them work for Porky. When played against Daffy, for example, he tends to have good luck/skill succeeding where Daffy's short temper and arrogance gets him into trouble. Really Porky's thing is that he's the lovable straightman for foils who tend to be self-destructive.