Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone know how to bring back the "x app used y% battery" notification the Pixel 2 comes with by default? I disabled it and miss it. Google reps have no clue what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Even the 5X is snappy with Oreo, and the 5 is still not bad with Nougat. Really tempted by that Xiaomi though... Wonder if I have any Chinese friends.

You can get at least some of the xiaomi phones from gearbest

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Anyone know how to bring back the "x app used y% battery" notification the Pixel 2 comes with by default? I disabled it and miss it. Google reps have no clue what I'm talking about.

I also have no idea what you're talking about. That doesn't sound like a stock Android thing, what was your previous phone?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

I also have no idea what you're talking about. That doesn't sound like a stock Android thing, what was your previous phone?

I think Crampy Grampaw is referring to Battery Usage Alerts which were introduced in Android 7.1.2:
https://www.addictivetips.com/android/battery-usage-alerts-in-android/

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

My Pixel 2 XL should be coming in by early next week. Any recommendations for a good case? Are people putting tempered glass screen protectors on?

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Livin' large on my Nexus 6p->Pixel XL swap phone. :love: Google :smugdroid:

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Weird, I don't think so. Maybe it's faulty memory but I thought I've seen other post about it too. Just a little pop up notification

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the Google financing thing available in the UK?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm really glad I cancelled my 2XL preorder, and I'm one of the original Pixel Warriors too

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/922464386849046528

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will say I haven't seen that on mine.

As someone who owns an OLED TV, it honestly looks more like IR than burn in to me but it obviously need more investigation. It's very similar to what I see on a slide on my TV after watching a letterboxed movie, the black bars are lighter than the rest of the TV. After about an hour or so playing fullscreen content the screen normalizes. Burn in would be more likely to exhibit a shift in color temp for the area as the pixels aged at different rates. You can see on my Pixel 1 that the nav bar area shifts blue, likely because the blue pixels aged far slower.

Droid-life had this to say.

quote:

However, as I’ve let the phone sit with that same grey screen for the past few minutes, it’s almost all faded away and is now just a clean grey screen.

We'll see how this develops. IR isn't as serious though it can still be annoying if seen on normal content.

I still think Google should have implemented a system wide immersive mode for any OLED screen use, because they are all going to eventually burn in.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 23, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

I I still think Google should have implemented a system wide immersive mode for any OLED screen use, because they are all going to eventually burn in.

Not if you do what Samsung has done and make the navigation bar mostly light gray with dark gray buttons instead of full on white on black.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Decius posted:

Not if you do what Samsung has done and make the navigation bar mostly light gray with dark gray buttons instead of full on white on black.

Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I said. Google can mitigate this in software.

They should honestly just have the bottom nav bar take on the same color as the notification area. That would be a simple and quick way of mitigating this across all devices and wouldn't have any backward compatibility issues.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

iamsosmrt posted:

My Pixel 2 XL should be coming in by early next week. Any recommendations for a good case? Are people putting tempered glass screen protectors on?

I enjoy the feel of the Spigen Thin Fit case on my Nexus 5X and intend to get one for the 2 XL which they also make:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=desktop

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

They should honestly just have the bottom nav bar take on the same color as the notification area

There is an xposed module that does this and certain roms allow it and it both mitigates the issue as you said and looks much better than an omnipresent black bar at the bottom; I have no clue why they don't implement it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is especially the case now that they are using curved corners on the display. The lack of symmetry bothers me with the top being curved and the bottom being squared off because of the nav area.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

I have no clue why they don't implement it

The same reason lots of features don't get implemented.

There are thousands of potential features and they have limited development resources and likely have larger testing requirements than any other entity doing development on Android.

I'm sure it will happen eventually.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm really glad I cancelled my 2XL preorder, and I'm one of the original Pixel Warriors too

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/922464386849046528

:stonk:

I'm fully expecting the guy I sold my 2XL to call me and demand that I RMA it for him. Hey buddy, not my fault you were impatient. I did have the Pixel Protect plan which I transferred to him, so it's now his problem.

And brother CLAM, you made The Right Choice™. I know people are LOL BIXBY but it's actually useful. It's not supposed to be sarnsung's version of Google Assistant. Does very different things and works well in conjunction with Google Assistant.

Using Samsung Pay at Costco :smuggo: (getting free poo poo for doing so too).

Yes, I'll be back in a few months when my Note 8 is janked all to hell, but today I'll DMP.

And lol at the developer guidance for the "Sleep As Android" alarm app. He reminds us why Samsung sucks at writing software. I must have Stockholm Syndrome because I actually like it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

The same reason lots of features don't get implemented.

There are thousands of potential features and they have limited development resources and likely have larger testing requirements than any other entity doing development on Android.

I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Yea I'm sure there are more pressing issues although in this specific case the work has already been done via open source projects and it would simply need to be implemented

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whenever Samsung makes my Tab S3 even half as smooth as my OG Pixel that has similar hardware, I'll give Samsung phones a second look.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Evfedu posted:

Is there anything approaching a consensus on S8+ vs Pixel 2+?

All I can get for sure is that the S8 is pretty, has a rear fingerprint scanner and a slightly better screen.
S8: good screen. Worse everything else.
E: I guess it has mSD and qi too.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 23, 2017

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wonder how much I would get back trading in my Pixel 2 for a 2XL once (and if) they get their poo poo together and fix the screen in a few months.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My Pixel 2 XL showed up a couple days early. This thing is pretty drat sweet compared to my LG G5. The blue tilt thing is hardly noticeable and if it means my sunglasses will work better with the screen, totally worth it.

I am pretty concerned with the burn in because I play a game with some static images so I'll be careful there for now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Whenever Samsung makes my Tab S3 even half as smooth as my OG Pixel that has similar hardware, I'll give Samsung phones a second look.

Note 8 is the first Samsung phone that is close.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

hotsauce posted:

It's not supposed to be sarnsung's version of Google Assistant. Does very different things and works well in conjunction with Google Assistant.

Explain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Note 8 is the first Samsung phone that is close.

A phone is neither a horseshoe nor hand grenade.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Right, the Note 7 was recalled.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Teardown video of the Pixel 2. Looks easy enough to replace the battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7nyzldgr4

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Rickets posted:

It would certainly be nice to have some kind of warranty support when buying a Xiaomi phone.. But they're so cheap that you could buy 2 or 3 for the up front cost of a locally sold midrange phone.

I'd rather have LTE functionality than warranty on those phones since they're cheap enough. I'd get an A1 right now except I don't think I want to go back to phones without reasonable LTE support

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

I enjoy the feel of the Spigen Thin Fit case on my Nexus 5X and intend to get one for the 2 XL which they also make:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=desktop

Thanks, I wound up just getting this Ringke case only because it was on sale, from slickdeals:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10678840-ringke-cases-for-iphone-x-iphone-8-8-plus-pixel-2-2-xl-lg-v30-more-from-3-90-free-shipping

If the phone turns out to be rear end like half the internet is saying, then I won't feel bad about the case at least.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Google should have done what Samsung did in regards to burn in. The static UI elements shift around every so often and you can enable an always-on immersive mode to hide the control bar. I've had my S8 since launch and I don't have any noticeable burn in at all. For every bad decision that Samsung makes, they sure seem to make a good one to offset it.

Now if they can just manage to stop making bad ones to begin with...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nalin posted:

Google should have done what Samsung did in regards to burn in. The static UI elements shift around every so often and you can enable an always-on immersive mode to hide the control bar. I've had my S8 since launch and I don't have any noticeable burn in at all. For every bad decision that Samsung makes, they sure seem to make a good one to offset it.

If Samsung made an Android One version of the note 8 or S8 that stripped out all the Touchwizzy poo poo and the bloatware and guaranteed a 3 year support cycle I would buy a note 8 sight unseen, even if it meant being fixed to Google Fi.

Edit: I went ahead and canceled pre-order on my Panda Pixel 2 XL and just went with the Pixel 2 Jr instead. The white one was 4 weeks backordered but Black didn't say as much. Here's hoping it's in stock and ships right away.

Edit 2: Order confirmation shows delivery date as October 26th for the pixel 2 Jr 128GB in black, so presumably still in stock.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 23, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nalin posted:

Isn't that what the always-on display on the Pixel 2 does anyway?

Side note, am I ok since I have a small hands Pixel 2 that has the Samsung AMOLED?

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

Here is some actual bezel innovation:
https://uidesign.gbtcdn.com/GB/images/promotion/2017/S9PLUS/f1.jpg
Putting the camera into the bottom bezel, instead of going for some crazy cutouts. Are there any real manufacturers doing something like this?

As someone who's left handed this would be completely unusable for me tbh.

The only thing I miss about my iPhone compared to my Pixel 2 is that the former would 1) automatically connect to my car bluetooth when I turned the car on and 2) stay connected to both my car and headphones at the same time, so when I would turn off the car the music would automatically start playing through the headphones. Is there anything I can do to get that functionality on the Pixel? I didn't see anything in the settings menu about either.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Isn't that what the always-on display on the Pixel 2 does anyway?

Side note, am I ok since I have a small hands Pixel 2 that has the Samsung AMOLED?
If it looks good to you, then yes! Also true for the Pixel XL 2, though there are more things to dislike about that display.

(But yes, the Samsung panel in the smaller Pixel 2 seems mostly fine. I think there've been some instances of bunk panels in some phones, but doesn't seem to be the norm.)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tonberrytoby posted:

Putting the camera into the bottom bezel, instead of going for some crazy cutouts. Are there any real manufacturers doing something like this?

Sure. It's also known as nose hair camera, because how lovely the position is on the Dell XPS 13 and Xiaomi Mi Mix. It's - like the stupid cutouts - the definition of form over function and designing for the showroom. I take a small top bezel like the LG V30, Pixel 2 XL or Samsung 2017 lineup over it any day.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Front-facing cameras below the screen, whether it's on a phone or a laptop, are poo poo and stupid. If you disagree you're wrong and I'll fight you irl

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tonberrytoby posted:

It's a bad idea and there's a reason only a few manufacturers have done it.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I will say I haven't seen that on mine.

As someone who owns an OLED TV, it honestly looks more like IR than burn in to me but it obviously need more investigation. It's very similar to what I see on a slide on my TV after watching a letterboxed movie, the black bars are lighter than the rest of the TV. After about an hour or so playing fullscreen content the screen normalizes. Burn in would be more likely to exhibit a shift in color temp for the area as the pixels aged at different rates. You can see on my Pixel 1 that the nav bar area shifts blue, likely because the blue pixels aged far slower.

Droid-life had this to say.

We'll see how this develops. IR isn't as serious though it can still be annoying if seen on normal content.

I still think Google should have implemented a system wide immersive mode for any OLED screen use, because they are all going to eventually burn in.

Even if this is the case it's a moot point; the navigation bar is always* present so there's no chance for the display to recover naturally, and expecting the user to leave their phone on a blank full screen image for an hour to correct it is entirely unreasonable. (* - Except for immersive apps but this would be a fraction of the overall usage)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Front-facing cameras below the screen, whether it's on a phone or a laptop, are poo poo and stupid. If you disagree you're wrong and I'll fight you irl
You can flip the phone over when using the ffc, dummy. Sharp figured this out years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jacobus Spades posted:

Even if this is the case it's a moot point; the navigation bar is always* present so there's no chance for the display to recover naturally, and expecting the user to leave their phone on a blank full screen image for an hour to correct it is entirely unreasonable. (* - Except for immersive apps but this would be a fraction of the overall usage)

The distinction is whether or not the screen is permanently damaged or can actually recover.

I agree that it's not ideal, however if the space is never used for anything other than the nav bar or if the screen recovers to the point where it's not visible with normal content within a few minutes of starting a full screen movie then the point is equally moot.

I still think google should do something different than black on white for the nav bar as this has been a problem going back to the Galaxy Nexus.