Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Podima posted:

it's the lovely newbie av

I wonder if the newbie trumptar change didn't drive purchases like Lowtax expected it to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

I wonder if the newbie trumptar change didn't drive purchases like Lowtax expected it to?

I guess everyone else just immediately adblocked it like I did.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fishmech posted:

What N edition does, in fact, is remove a bunch of codecs and media api functions that don't actually use windows media player at all, because the eu decided having such things was unfair competition for some company thats sold those things lol

fishmech posted:

did you install alternate codec packs and media player classic and other such stuff on that pc. because that would typically fix the missing features.
All that's actually missing are the Windows Media frontend applications. I literally just tried it for myself because I have nothing better to do right now. Out of the box it can not play any common media formats. Install your preferred media player and they all work as expected.

I just installed Media Player Classic, no stupid codec packs, no Microsoft feature pack, just a player UI and it played everything. AVI, MP4, MKV, WMV, MP3, FLAC, etc.

Keep in mind that MPC is not a fully standalone player like VLC, it's just another frontend to the Windows built in media frameworks the same as WMP, WMC, and many others. All the codecs and media APIs you claim are removed in N are required for this to work.

If you don't believe me watch for yourself. I recorded the entire process, install to testing, from an official Windows 7 Ultimate N SP1 x64 ISO. The testing starts at 19:00 which I have timestamped on the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I0PZoAy3kU&t=1140s

The lack of audio and stuttery playback are a result of Virtualbox's built in capture being poo poo, had I realized I would have used OBS instead. In reality the videos were playing as smoothly as they would be on any other system.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Podima posted:

it's the lovely newbie av

that's fuckin' brutal

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
congratulations on winning an internet argument

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

JavaScript based style sheets were almost a standard

https://www.w3.org/Submission/1996/1/WD-jsss-960822

this document is an artifact from the man in high tower universe.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

that's fuckin' brutal
people got really mad about the trump one https://twitter.com/richard_kyanka/status/918592078573162496

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

idk i think TRUMP LOVER is hilarious :colbert:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ate all the Oreos posted:

idk i think the TRUMP LOVER is hilarious :colbert:

:shobon:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

idk i think TRUMP LOVER is hilarious :colbert:

yeah its great

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
don't you still get a free title change with a new account? did that guy just forget to make one?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

good to see taxman got twitter back

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

good to see taxman got twitter back

Nope, new account.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

don't you still get a free title change with a new account? did that guy just forget to make one?

yeah theres a field for title which you can set during account creation that gives you just the text as the title.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

yeah theres a field for title which you can set during account creation that gives you just the text as the title.

I think that was gone when I registered this account because I was looking for it and didn't find it, but who knows: maybe it's inside a part of the form that gets adblocked! (I turn avs off on all forums so whatever)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's no free avatars iirc

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that option has been gone since at least before i registered this account.

a witch posted:

I guess everyone else just immediately adblocked it like I did.

this is the correct solution

i wonder if the majority thinks that the trump avatar is better or worse than the old garbage dick ones

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I think shaming people with Trump avatars is funny. Just buy a better avatar if you don't like that one.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if you want to talk about trump avatars i am happy to continue the conversation in gibbis

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schadenboner posted:

Ah, ok. My memory of the late 90s is a little fuzzy and it doesn't seem impossible that MS would have done something like that and been all "See? Irremovable from the OS! :v:"

yes but what kind of moron would demand that internet and media functionality be removable from an os?

other than people with a vested interest in companies that are about to have their revenue streams rightfully destroyed that is

wolrah posted:

All that's actually missing are the Windows Media frontend applications. I literally just tried it for myself because I have nothing better to do right now. Out of the box it can not play any common media formats. Install your preferred media player and they all work as expected.

I just installed Media Player Classic, no stupid codec packs, no Microsoft feature pack, just a player UI and it played everything. AVI, MP4, MKV, WMV, MP3, FLAC, etc.

Keep in mind that MPC is not a fully standalone player like VLC, it's just another frontend to the Windows built in media frameworks the same as WMP, WMC, and many others. All the codecs and media APIs you claim are removed in N are required for this to work.

If you don't believe me watch for yourself. I recorded the entire process, install to testing, from an official Windows 7 Ultimate N SP1 x64 ISO. The testing starts at 19:00 which I have timestamped on the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I0PZoAy3kU&t=1140s

The lack of audio and stuttery playback are a result of Virtualbox's built in capture being poo poo, had I realized I would have used OBS instead. In reality the videos were playing as smoothly as they would be on any other system.

so yes, windows n editions are broken versions of windows. glad you confirmed that they are broken versions of windows and only a moron would use them. :thumbsup:

ps windows 8 and 10 have much more missing. that is why that one idiot was whining due to his program not running when he refused to have the media feature pack.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

in non-threadshitting news: https://duhkattack.com/paper.pdf

quote:

Traffic from any VPN using FortiOS 4.3.0 to FortiOS 4.3.18 can be decrypted by a passive network adversary who can observe the encrypted handshake traffic. Other key recovery attacks on different protocols may also be possible.

quote:

The specific attack against the IKEv2 handshake as implemented in FortiOS v4 works as follows:
  • The attacker reverse-engineers a firmware image and extracts the hard-coded AES encryption key.
  • The attacker passively observes both sides of an IKEv2 handshake.
  • The SPI and nonce fields in the IKEv2 handshake are raw RNG output. The attacker brute forces a range of timestamps at the microsecond granularity to recover the internal state of the RNG from these outputs, and confirms against the raw outputs. This step required 224 guesses in our experiments.
  • The secret exponent in the IKEv2 Diffie-Hellman key exchange is generated immediately after these values. The attacker brute forces another timestamp to recover the Diffie-Hellman secret which it confirms against the public key. This step required 25 guesses in our experiments.
  • The attacker can then compute the shared secret and derived sesion keys, and begin to decrypt traffic.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The attacker reverse-engineers a firmware image and extracts the hard-coded AES encryption key.

🤔

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
was this disclosed recently, because it's from a year ago

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

disclosure to vendor isn't disclosure to public, it was released an hour ago

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The attacker reverse-engineers a firmware image and extracts the hard-coded AES encryption key.

🤔

Probably one used in the RNG for stretching, but I should probably read the paper before making that assumption

e: yeah they're using ANSI X9.31. *sad trombone sound*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In other news: here's a write-up of a really cool CTF challenge involving reverse-engineering an ASIC: http://blog.dragonsector.pl/2017/10/pwn2win-2017-shift-register.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't that a pretty old version? I thought FortiOS 5 had been out for years now.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

FartyOS

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Pourin out a fortios for my fallen friends

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

LordSaturn posted:

who does this? who has the technical ability to set up something like this, but not the sense to know why it's a bad idea? I'm hoping one of you has had a user that did this and can talk about it some, it's baffling to me

technology consultants

customer gave us three RSA keys but bob in Bangalore is covering me this weekend....

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

technology consultants

customer gave us three RSA keys but bob in Bangalore is covering me this weekend....

i mean they're clearly like 3 *different* models of RSA key so it's probably 3 different customers that only issued one, which makes it even better

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

:pwn: on two ccounts

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
assuming the average american, the first question might be the most secure of the bunch

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

security questions are so bad

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:pwn: on two ccounts

I think you mean seven.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

not-not-not-petya badrabbit is making the rounds, and no one knows the initial infection vector at the moment, eternal blue, mimikatz, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Russia v Ukraine cyber war :munch:

• Locked thread