Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

The 3DS version has got some QoL improvements, and quite a lot of extra content. Two extra characters, two post game dungeons, a long photography quest, and some extra story stuff. I'd say that's the superior one.

Yeah, but I seemed to recall it was missing the music and something else from the US PS2 release. Or was that the iOS port only? gently caress, it's a mess.

\/\/ edit: Okay, so I was off. Cool, good to know, play it on 3DS then.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, but I seemed to recall it was missing the music and something else from the US PS2 release. Or was that the iOS port only? gently caress, it's a mess.

The Japanese 3DS version of 8 (and 7) have new orchestrated versions of the music; it's not the same music used for the US PS2 version.

The iOS versions and international 3DS versions reverted to (new) sequenced music because Koichi Sugiyama is a cranky old man who can make it really difficult to use or re-use his music if he so chooses.

There are homebrew patches that'll let you replace the music, if it really bothers you.

EDIT: re iOS vs. 3DS, iOS DQ8 is a Unity remake of the original Japanese PS2 version whereas the 3DS version has most of the QOL updates from the US version plus a ton more changes/additions that aren't available in any other version. DQ7 iOS is a port of the 3DS version.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 23, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The first batch of Original Xbox games to be Backwards Compatible on the Xbox One allegedly leaked out the other day:

https://twitter.com/h0x0d/status/921719074534580224

If that tweet vanishes or you're too lazy to look up box arts:
Dead to Rights
Fusion Frenzy
Knights of the Old Republic
Crimson Skies
Psychonauts
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Bloodrayne 2
Sid Meier's Pirates
Ninja Gaiden Black
King of Fighters Neowave
Red Faction 2
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

I bring this up because the games on this list that hadn't previously gotten a digital release have just been added to the Xbox Live store to be downloaded and played on Xbox 360s. So... that's nice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i wish they'd do something for online services with these backwards compatible games so i could play crimson skies on xbox live again. that game was my jam back in 2003 or whenever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh boy, Red Faction II!!

Pretty good list otherwise, I guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Japanese 3DS version of 8 (and 7) have new orchestrated versions of the music; it's not the same music used for the US PS2 version.

Note that this is Japanese versions only. The US and EU versions of DQ7 and 8 on 3DS have MIDI-style music instead, due to some nonsensical rights/distribution issue with the orchestrations (and part of why those versions took so drat long to release here). There are hacked versions of both games which reintroduce the orchestrated music so they're playable in EFIGS, but then of course you need a hacked 3DS.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

financially racist posted:

i wish they'd do something for online services with these backwards compatible games so i could play crimson skies on xbox live again. that game was my jam back in 2003 or whenever.
System Link will still work (and will apparently work with existing Xboxes and 360s), and I recall services to jury-rig that functionality into online play existing at some point back in the day. Not the same, but it's something, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love the game but it's weird seeing Fuzion Frenzy in there.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I hesitated posting this here but I saw some arcade-related posts for the last 2 pages so I figured it was OK.

I had a MAME cabinet I had planned on making for almost a decade (no exaggeration). I bought it back when I still lived with my parents, and in that timespan I got married, bought a house, sold the house, got a different house, and had kids. It just sat doing nothing for ages and ages, a gigantic pain in the rear end every time I moved. However, in the last year I finally had time to work on it because I was taking some time off from work and I would work on it daily while my kids napped.

Anyway, this is what it looked like when I bought it (for $300):

When I bought it, arcade machines were still very easy to come by on Craigslist. You could find arcade monitors in great condition for $50 (now they're $500 with burn in). Anyway, when I bought it I had a huge selection to pick from, and I chose this one because it looked like it had a huge control panel which is what I needed since I wanted a 4 player MAME cabinet.

I bought a j-pac and arcadeVGA and messed around with it a bit, trying to make games look perfect on it. But the monitor bothered me because it had a small amount of burn-in and that stuff drives me NUTS on games with flat-graphics. So about a year ago I actually found a guy on eBay who somehow came across a warehouse of BRAND NEW 25" Wells Gardner low-resolution monitors. I was so happy; not to mention these were rarities in that they did NOT require an isolation transformer (you can just plug it into an outlet like a regular TV). I insisted on a standard/low-res arcade monitor because there's not too many medium-res games, and low-res games (basically anything made before 2001) do not look as good on a medium-res screen.

Anyway my goal was to make this a MAME cabinet that could accommodate almost every game, but without looking like a franken-panel (a tall order). I also decided that I did not want it to look like a MAME cabinet at all. When I was deciding on which artwork to use for this, I decided against MAME artwork because I feel like that ruins the ~immersion~ or nostalgia factor. So after a lot of research, I discovered it was originally a 1989 TMNT machine, so that is the replacement artwork I purchased. Anyway, here's some pics:

The control panel during the "prototype" phase:

the back of the brand new Wells Gardner arcade monitor I managed to find in TYOOL 2016:

The messed up sides of the machine:

Me trying to fix the sides:

TMNT as you can see only has one speaker hole, and I did not want to drill an ugly, non-symmetrical second hole for stereo, so I did this:

The artwork applied:

Me trying to make a "box" for the control panel to lay on (note the copious amounts of wood glue where I hosed up cutting the upper lip):

Painting the control panel to make it suitable for artwork:

(before you say "it looks great!" it's only because of the paint. It was such a shitshow underneath that paint. In fact, if you look at this

those are two spots I "forgot" to cut a nice rounded corner at, and I made those "curves" just slapping wood filler, letting it dry, then slapping on more wood filler, day after day after day until it was thick enough that I could "carve" it into a curve. It took forever all because I forgot to jigsaw a curve when I was using the table saw. I hardened it with wood glue, but it was virtually impossible to put t-molding in those spots because the router kept cutting a slot too thick. Even when I used a Dremel, the t-molding kept coming out here, so I had to glue and nail it into place which pissed me off so much because t-molding is supposed to be removable).

Anyway, then I put the artwork on:

Another funny story with my sloppiness: I kept googling the best way to cut perfect holes in the control panel artwork. All the replies I saw were "who cares if it's sloppy, the pushbuttons have a lip around them so you won't even see the cuts". I thought "hells yeah, easy way out" because I am awful at cutting perfect holes and stuff. Anyway, you can see I did it kinda sloppy.

Big mistake. I SOMEHOW forgot that I am using translucent pushbuttons. When I put them in, you saw the hideous cut marks. How the hell did I forget that they were see through??

So as you can see there, I had to take out every single pushbutton after I had already wired up every single one of them :negative:

I was hoping I could find some sort of paper or rubber "ring" that would fit perfectly under the pushbutton lip, but none existed. So the only thing I could come up with was I bought a black paint pen (looks just like a regular Sharpie except it has black paint instead of black ink) and I painted the lip from the underside on each and every pushbutton. So now there are black rings around them, and they look good!

This is the machine completely finished (after 9 years of sitting on my rear end):

The only indications as to which player is which are by the start buttons, which show 1P, 3P, etc. I made the blue and red controls players 1 and 2. This confuses some games like TMNT and The Simpsons, because I will put a quarter in the blue spot, and the character all the way to the left comes up. This was easily fixed in each game in MAME by just changing button assignments for those games only.

I have two USB ports on each underside of the control panel. You cannot see them unless you are literally on your back on the floor. I am probably going to use these for light gun games, but the only USB light gun solution requires a bulky LED bar like the Wii, except 4 times thicker, and I would have no place to put it on the machine. So I am not sure what the purposes is yet, but it's nice to not have to dig for a computer whenever I need to plug a thumb drive in or whatever.

The LEDs light up depending on the game you play. So if you are playing Street Fighter 2, all the buttons on player 1 (blue) and player 2 (red) light up. If you pick Donkey Kong, only the jump button lights up (top left blue button). So it's not there just for useless flashy nonsense. Even cooler is the arcade machine speaks the buttons for the game. So if you choose Street Fighter 2, it will light up each button and speak out loud what that button is such as "High Punch" while that button flashes! I love it. The software that does it is called LEDBlinky if anyone was curious. It works seamlessly with Launch Box (Big Box), which is the front end software I am using (absolutely awesome front end software except for a few weird oddities like it chose Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as the ROM to use even though I specified North America default first).

I ended up giving up on the ArcadeVGA when I learned that something called CRT_Emudriver came out, which is a custom driver for any ATI video card that allows for all sorts of crazy resolutions. It basically allows you to run every single game (except vertical games) in their native resolution and refresh rate. You have to use GroovyMAME (a special arcade CRT version of MAME) for it to be useful, though. I literally cannot tell the difference between this arcade machine using CRT_Emudriver and GroovyMAME when compared to a real arcade board. It's visually identical in every sense of the term.

I was originally using an AMD Brisbane 2.8ghz processor but it was way too slow for 3d games like Tekken and others. Since I never have time for PC gaming, I ended up sacrificing the gaming computer to be the MAME computer. It was a great decision because there is nothing I cannot run. Even scrolling through the list of ROMs stopped choking like it was on the AMD.

It's an Intel i7 930; so it's a pretty drat old i7 (2011 I think?) at 2.8ghz that I easily overclocked to 4.2ghz despite knowing nothing about overclocking (the temps stay under 60 celsius too). The only game I have a problem with is Marvel vs Capcom 2, and I am not sure if it's because of the computer. DEmul is the emulator you need to use for Naomi games, and even with this PC, it starts choking as soon as the characters start scrolling on the screen during the intro. Luckily it doesn't do that during the game, but it's still annoying. Though I am not sure how beefy of a PC you need for it not to happen. It's very odd because 3-d fighters from 2004 have no issues on this machine, so I am guessing it must be DEmul.

Another annoying oddity is that DEmul won't display in 320x240 for some reason. Marvel Vs Capcom 2 allows you to run it in 320x240; there's a DIP switch setting for any Naomi game to run at 15khz. But whenever I pick it, it looks like absolute poo poo with very strange lines sticking out everywhere. I wish I knew how to fix that, because 640x480i is too flickery and names are too annoying to read. I wish the game ran in MAME so I wouldn't have to deal with this!

If anyone wants to know about other hardware: I am using a J-Pac to attach the arcade monitor to the computer's VGA port. I am pretty sure with CRT_Emudriver I don't even need this thing any more, but I heard that the BIOS screen, since it runs at a resolution the monitor cannot handle, could actually damage the monitor. And the J-Pac has some circuitry to prevent damage, or something.

The joysticks are just the regular old HAPP 8-ways. Very cheap. The pushbuttons are called NovaGem's from GroovyGameGear. I specifically wanted these exact ones because they were the only concave pushbuttons with LEDs that I could find. Some do make some now, however they are RGB LEDs, which I don't like, because you can't tell what color they are when turned off. I like being able to see the colors of the pushbuttons even with no power. Unfortunately, they stopped making the NovaGems a few years ago.

I am using the i-Pac Ultimate i/O for all the buttons, which converts it to USB. I highly, highly recommend this thing. I notice ZERO lag and it even supports "shift" keys. I was able to get rid of my dedicated "exit" and "pause" buttons because of this. Now all I need to do is hold P1 Start and then press P3's button 2 to pause. I even have these small inserts in the push buttons that say "Pause" or "Exit". Again, they only do those actions if P1 is being held, so they operate as normal buttons during gameplay.

I even set up an autohotkey script to left click the mouse if I press the Z key on the keyboard. So I made P1 Start + P1 button 6 press the Z key, so that it will left click the mouse. This is useful because then I can navigate around Windows 10 with the trackball without having to hook up a keyboard (not that I anticipate this happening often).

The only weird thing about the i-Pac Ultimate i/O: it supports 4 players, but it does not have spots for P3 or P4 start or coin :psyduck:

Also if you are using P3 or P4, you can't hook a trackball or spinner up to it. I am not sure why you'd need to hook up a trackball or spinner up to it though because those are both just USB. To work around the P3/P4 start/coin not having spots on the board, I simply wired them to the J-Pac which has a few spots for a few button presses.

If anyone cares, yes the coin door is fully functional and you must put quarters in to play (but I leave the coin bucket door unlocked). I absolutely did not want a "credit" button anywhere on the machine :spergin:

One other thing I would like to add that might be useful if someone wants to make a MAME cabinet some day: the powering on/off method. I see so many convoluted methods where people are splicing wires to a switch on the top of the machine and all sorts of wacky stuff. All I did was buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Eco-Surge-Protector-TLP808NETG/dp/B003A7P262/

I plugged the PC into the "master" outlet, and everything else (monitor, amp, and jamma power) to the other green-colored outlets. I drilled a pushbutton to the very top of the cabinet (you can't even see it) and that is wired to the motherboard headers for power. Basically the pushbutton just becomes the computer's power button. So when I press it, the computer turns on, and then everything else turns on with the computer. It's great!

I would appreciate some opinions on whether or not I did a decent job NOT making it look like a franken-panel? Is there something I should remove or add, control-wise? I absolutely would love to play racing games on it but there is no way in hell I am putting a steering wheel on that thing because THEN it's definitely a franken-panel. Is there some sort of hardware change I should know about? Is there a way to make Marvel vs Capcom not run *and* look like poo poo?

Anyway sorry for all the words;I don't really see too many MAME cabinets that don't say "JERRY'S ARCADE PARADISE" on them with Spiderman vs Link artwork on the sides, so I figured this would be a bit different and of interest to you all. And I thought some of you might like to see it and get an idea of what software and hardware I used, plus I would not mind some constructive criticism.

uh how is this thread not freaking the hell out about this??

If someone asked me for the one prototype I wanted released the most, it would be this one. The SNES version is absolutely incredible with some of the best video game music of all time. And the composer of the SNES Sim City gave an interview recently and she said the NES version had a completely different soundtrack that she too made.

Thank you so much, TheRedEye. I cannot wait for this to be released.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 23, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That is a very nice MAME setup you have. Good job!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yeah man i'm super excited, i honestly had given up hope that the nes prototype would ever see the light of day. sick cab setup, btw

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
That cab looks really great, very nice work!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The LEDs light up depending on the game you play. So if you are playing Street Fighter 2, all the buttons on player 1 (blue) and player 2 (red) light up. If you pick Donkey Kong, only the jump button lights up (top left blue button). So it's not there just for useless flashy nonsense. Even cooler is the arcade machine speaks the buttons for the game. So if you choose Street Fighter 2, it will light up each button and speak out loud what that button is such as "High Punch" while that button flashes! I love it. The software that does it is called LEDBlinky if anyone was curious. It works seamlessly with Launch Box (Big Box), which is the front end software I am using

OK this is loving cool, I kind of want this for all my controllers now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That honestly is a really nice look cabinet. Can you post a picture of it running the Turtles game?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the kind words! It was such a ridiculous amount of work that it feels good that it came out to my anal-retentive specifications.

univbee posted:

OK this is loving cool, I kind of want this for all my controllers now.

Yeah it is one of the things that "wowed" my tech-savvy friend. It's really useful for games I have never played before.

Rirse posted:

That honestly is a really nice look cabinet. Can you post a picture of it running the Turtles game?

Thank you!

I am guessing you want to see how close it looks to "authentic"? If so, that might be difficult. Any time I try to take a picture I get a big thick black bar in the image. I am guessing due to the camera and monitor having different refresh rates.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
That FPGA SNES Analogue's making has announced two included bonus games: A previously-unreleased "Director's Cut" of Super Turrican featuring all the stuff they had to cut out to fit on the original cartridge (like an extra level), and Super Turrican 2 because sure, why not.

There's a trailer here, but it will tell you nothing and just give you a headache. Maybe I'm getting old?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Super NT is pretty much Kevtris' Zimba 3000, right? They're not going to say as much but everything points to that being the case.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

System Link will still work (and will apparently work with existing Xboxes and 360s), and I recall services to jury-rig that functionality into online play existing at some point back in the day. Not the same, but it's something, right?

There's been rumors that they just might start Xbox Live services back up for the original Xbox in some way ... at which point I guess I'll need to figure out what things to set on my modded original Xbox so it doesn't try to go online and mess up my Live account.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Crackbone posted:

The Super NT is pretty much Kevtris' Zimba 3000, right? They're not going to say as much but everything points to that being the case.

Assuming a jailbreak comes out for it, and there was nothing in the contract to prevent it, it looks that way. I'm planning on preordering one when I have the cash to put down.

I'm just wondering if it'll be able to play SNES games with special chips off the SD card when that happens, or if it'll still need the cartridge.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fishmech posted:

There's been rumors that they just might start Xbox Live services back up for the original Xbox in some way ... at which point I guess I'll need to figure out what things to set on my modded original Xbox so it doesn't try to go online and mess up my Live account.

this is way too rad to actually happen

but if it does i gotta dig out my og xbox headset

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kirbysuperstar posted:

Using a SCD2 with a model 1 is war crime.

:agreed:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Kins posted:

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collected Works is loving glorious, although the text is mostly bundled at the start and end of the book (with lots of art in the center) and is less about the artwork and more about the console and its games. They recently Kickstarted a Dreamcast-themed followup that should be out late next year.

Also seconding the recommendation of MM25.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-dreamcast-collected-works/description

sonofabitch, how'd I miss this. Love the Genesis book.

I hesitated posting this here but I saw some arcade-related posts for the last 2 pages so I figured it was OK.

That's loving amazing.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

...cab things...

You've done some good stuff here but my first thought is simply... please stop subjecting human hands to flat horizontal button layouts.

Crackbone posted:

Kevtris called it the Zimba 2500, compared to the NT Mini's Zimba 2000. So its more than the Mini, but it's not the true beast yet.
Notably, it's still using DRAM instead of SRAM (for cost reasons) so some high speed things are simply out of reach for it, like the SNES' SA-1 addon chip and the PC-Engine/TG16.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

fishmech posted:

Question about original Xboxes. I have one that I ended up with from a bunch of garage sale stuff I bought. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Is there a good guide for what mods are available? Soldering is not a barrier.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mangler103 posted:

Question about original Xboxes. I have one that I ended up with from a bunch of garage sale stuff I bought. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Is there a good guide for what mods are available? Soldering is not a barrier.

You'll want to get your hands on the right game (Splinter Cell is the easiest to source since it doesn't matter what version you get, the other games with similar exploits you specifically need a first printing) and work it out so you can copy stuff to an Xbox Memory device (they are simple USB drives but with a different connector, you can "rig" your own if you can't source an actual Xbox memory card and USB reader). This lets you copy a hacked save which launches a softmod payload and will give you full reign over the system, including the ability to use large hard drives (the interface is IDE, though, so plan accordingly) and once it's properly hacked you can copy stuff to it by FTP.

There's a capacitor you'll want to remove from the mainboard while you're in there too, because it leaks. All removing it does is prevent the system from storing date/time for longer than a few hours without power.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mangler103 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOEen1-234

This is the tutorial I followed using a Splinter Cell disc (platnium works despite what he says), a USB to controller adapter, and a older flash drive that was under 4 GB. I didn't do the hard drive swap as I went with DVD-R since they were almost literally free on Amazon to get. The first two probably about 12 bucks in total to do, as Splinter Cell is pretty cheap to get.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Now I'm all nostalgic for the days of Halo 2 multiplayer :allears:

I always played Big Team Battle because I'm terrible and I could let my team carry me :v:

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

univbee posted:

You'll want to get your hands on the right game (Splinter Cell is the easiest to source since it doesn't matter what version you get, the other games with similar exploits you specifically need a first printing) and work it out so you can copy stuff to an Xbox Memory device (they are simple USB drives but with a different connector, you can "rig" your own if you can't source an actual Xbox memory card and USB reader). This lets you copy a hacked save which launches a softmod payload and will give you full reign over the system, including the ability to use large hard drives (the interface is IDE, though, so plan accordingly) and once it's properly hacked you can copy stuff to it by FTP.

There's a capacitor you'll want to remove from the mainboard while you're in there too, because it leaks. All removing it does is prevent the system from storing date/time for longer than a few hours without power.

Cool, but what can I do with it? Standard emulation/homebrew stuff?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mangler103 posted:

Cool, but what can I do with it? Standard emulation/homebrew stuff?

Play OG Xbox games from hard drive, emulation, media player (was useful in the pre-HD everything-is-in-Xvid days but less so now), not sure there's much else given how underpowered it is compared to cheap TV boxes today.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOEen1-234

This is the tutorial I followed using a Splinter Cell disc (platnium works despite what he says), a USB to controller adapter, and a older flash drive that was under 4 GB. I didn't do the hard drive swap as I went with DVD-R since they were almost literally free on Amazon to get. The first two probably about 12 bucks in total to do, as Splinter Cell is pretty cheap to get.

Oh wow, this takes me back. I used to use the Mechwarrior corrupted save method, and I'd mod Xboxes for about $20 per. I made like a hundred bucks!

Also, I once 'unlocked' the HDD, which bricked my system. I brought it to EB Games, said that I was powering it up during a recent storm, and now it won't come on. They had no issue exchanging it. :smug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Update on the Xbox One BWC stuff: One more game has been added to the list - Black - and it's launching tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2yXh31wy14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYWPvhk_t4

There's support for 1080p rendering and faster load times, but most games will run at a 4:3 aspect ratio since... well... they didn't actually support widescreen.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

The Kins posted:

That FPGA SNES Analogue's making has announced two included bonus games: A previously-unreleased "Director's Cut" of Super Turrican featuring all the stuff they had to cut out to fit on the original cartridge (like an extra level), and Super Turrican 2 because sure, why not.

There's a trailer here, but it will tell you nothing and just give you a headache. Maybe I'm getting old?

It's been years since the last time they tried to put the unreleased content on Virtual Console. Glad it's actually coming out now in some form.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THEREDEYE HOW ARE YOU GONNA LEAVE THIS THREAD HANGING LIKE THAT???

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

THEREDEYE HOW ARE YOU GONNA LEAVE THIS THREAD HANGING LIKE THAT???

yes I know this is from 2000

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

He's at an expo right now, iirc. Probably why he had access to it but also probably pretty busy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's apparently two prototypes floating around. Hopefully he got the one that was closer to the finished product.

Extreme0 posted:

It's been years since the last time they tried to put the unreleased content on Virtual Console. Glad it's actually coming out now in some form.

Sort of relating to my MAME cabinet, I wanted to play the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land and was surprised when I saw it was in English, considering it never left the arcades in Japan.

It turns out it never WAS released in America. It was put on the Virtual Console a few years back, and the ROM actually ran on arcade hardware! So I guess someone simply dumped it and made it part of the MAME library. How awesome is that? I'm not even playing it on a Wii emulator.

The arcade version's music sucks compared to the SMS one, though. But the SMS one is un-beatable.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 23, 2017

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Finally, I'll soon be able to play everything that was featured on this page of Nintendo Power:

Only about 26 years late, but better than never.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sort of relating to my MAME cabinet, I wanted to play the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land and was surprised when I saw it was in English, considering it never left the arcades in Japan.

It turns out it never WAS released in America. It was put on the Virtual Console a few years back, and the ROM actually ran on arcade hardware! So I guess someone simply dumped it and made it part of the MAME library. How awesome is that? I'm not even playing it on a Wii emulator.
This English version was apparently produced by the original development team back in 1987. It was just never officially released for reasons never really explained, and only really given out to European computer game developers to use as reference for their ports to Amiga etc. The digital re-release is based off of an old ROM board that the producer of "Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World" found in a Sega warehouse.

(The collection also included an English translation of Monster World IV. This was brand new and done by M2 specifically for the collection, because M2 are beautiful mad scientists when it comes to old games)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

This English version was apparently produced by the original development team back in 1987. It was just never officially released for reasons never really explained, and only really given out to European computer game developers to use as reference for their ports to Amiga etc. The digital re-release is based off of an old ROM board that the producer of "Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World" found in a Sega warehouse.

(The collection also included an English translation of Monster World IV. This was brand new and done by M2 specifically for the collection, because M2 are beautiful mad scientists when it comes to old games)

That's even more awesome. I figured for the Virtual Console release they just paid someone to translate the Japanese arcade ROM. So cool!

And I just found out that EVERY SINGLE PORT of the game (all 9 of them!) has the arcade music, and the SMS version is the only one with the music they use in that game. The SMS music was so much better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
It’s cool when people actually release their prototypes instead of hoarding them for MY VALUE. With that in mind, what hardware do I need to get to dump the bag of 80s Atari protos I’ve amassed? They’re a mix of systems including some I don’t own like 7800.