Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

How are you still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Still plodding through a DS9 rewatch. Two things that i chuckled at:

Inquisition: a 200 year old top secret organization reveals itself to a starfleet doctor and lets him walk away with a memory of them

Pale Moonlight: the dominion took betazed? How did they not see that coming roflolololol

Late S6 is v good

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait until the so-black-ops-the-name-itself-is-classified organization incompetently gets itself caught because a high-level operative with knowledge of their most critical plans is more concerned with spy movie theatrics than op sec.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

Wait until the so-black-ops-the-name-itself-is-classified organization incompetently gets itself caught because a high-level operative with knowledge of their most critical plans is more concerned with spy movie theatrics than op sec.
And they say Trek is unrealistic.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

How are you still alive.

They aren't didn't you see the skeleton AV?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

"So anyway, that's how I lost all my flesh. Coffee?"

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Peachfart posted:

DS9 did the holodeck much better. Quark knew why most people were using it.
Though DS9 did have a B plot that focuses on Quark trying to get a holoimage of Kira so a weird dude she told off could bone her.

And thank god for that B plot. The A plot for that episode (Meridian) is one of the worst of the series, so at least the B plot doesn't make it a total waste.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

I have no mouth, and I must scream

Hey so never make fun of a nerd ever again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Are you kidding me? If anything after having gone through this I'm going to mock the poo poo out of anyone critiquing Orville or Discovery on the basis of them not matching up to TNG . Season 1 has for the most part of been pure insanity and that it's played completely straight with dramatic commercial break stingers just makes it even funnier. It's one goofy rear end show and it is massively entertaining for what it is.

EDIT: 10/10 would binge again

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 23, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

And thank god for that B plot. The A plot for that episode (Meridian) is one of the worst of the series, so at least the B plot doesn't make it a total waste.

The A plot is so bad I always remember the B plot as the main one and then when I watch it I'm like "oh yeah, hhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnngggg"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/922459948294066177

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ugh stupid Netflix listed DS9 in production order, so I just watched the wrong episode for today's The Greatest Generation!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah how much will this happen? I assumed production order generally would match air order.

They should have at least warned about it last episode!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Good.

I'm really enjoying it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh heck yeah, last night's episode was great and there is a lot of fun to be had.

Also, why was no one alarmed at Staments' attitude? Does the jump make him high or?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I suppose one should expect a 2-dimensional eye to be short-sighted.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah how much will this happen? I assumed production order generally would match air order.

They should have at least warned about it last episode!

They did read the episode description last episode.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Holy poo poo, I tried to turn on closed captions to show a screen grab and that was a mistake.
How did they make that so bad?

EDIT: Default settings

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo, hahahaha

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 23, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

thexerox123 posted:

They did read the episode description last episode.

They also said something about the episode description not being at all what happened

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Shinjobi posted:

I mean, for a couple years you were stuck with only one flavor.

Man, I need to go back and watch Star Trek Beyond again. That was dumb fun done right, as far as those three movies went.

Beyond was by far the best of the three. In that one they remembered to try and make it Star Trek.

jeeves posted:

Is it just me or does Orville feel like a high budget version of those fan-made TOS "season 4" type series?

And ugh does anyone else just feel like Discovery doesn't even feel like Trek but are begrudgingly watching it because ugh.

What a time to be a Trek nerd. Two flavors of ugh or meh.

I thought Star Trek Continues was pretty decent. The sets and writing were great. The actors were pretty bleh but good luck replacing guys like Shatner or Nimoy.

Moriatti posted:

Eh, the Krill episode has our main characters horrified at a severed head and then a couple minutes later they continue to crack wise about Avis being a car rental company.

I agree, in some ways it was a step in the right direction. In another they basically committed genocide so... :(

Killing the crew of 1 spaceship isn't committing genocide. What do you think happens when the Enterprise blows up spaceships? They actually stopped the Krill from committing genocide.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

I thought Star Trek Continues was pretty decent. The sets and writing were great. The actors were pretty bleh but good luck replacing guys like Shatner or Nimoy.

Continues looks really good, like bang on almost all the time, and the actors by and large aren't completely awful which is all you can really hope for when they're just aping previous, better actors. And its heart is in the right place which is good to see. But the scripts aren't great and there are weird pacing issues in almost every episode. As far as fan productions go I think that's about as good it will ever get, it's seriously impressive as a passion project.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Killing the crew of 1 spaceship isn't committing genocide. What do you think happens when the Enterprise blows up spaceships? They actually stopped the Krill from committing genocide.

Genocide is killing a large group of people. Killing them by UV poisoning definitely felt more like the Changeling Virus or Hugh's virus and I have a hard time seeing a captain aside from Janeway or Lorca making that exact call. Though I'm not sure any member of the Orville beyond Isaac had a better option... I will give the show credit for mentioning that McFarlane (what's the captain's name again?) has only continued the cycle of violence.

The Enterprise normally only blows up ships they're actively engaged with or at war with, which is different from covertly murdering them, even to stop genocide.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
No, YOU'RE getting misty eyed at the end of The Sound of Her Voice

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Moriatti posted:

Genocide is killing a large group of people. Killing them by UV poisoning definitely felt more like the Changeling Virus or Hugh's virus and I have a hard time seeing a captain aside from Janeway or Lorca making that exact call. Though I'm not sure any member of the Orville beyond Isaac had a better option... I will give the show credit for mentioning that McFarlane (what's the captain's name again?) has only continued the cycle of violence.

The Enterprise normally only blows up ships they're actively engaged with or at war with, which is different from covertly murdering them, even to stop genocide.

I apologize for accusing you of arguing in bad faith before.

You just straight up don't have a drat clue what you're talking about.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Moriatti posted:

Are you interested in learning what genocide actually is or if someone does tell you will you just dig in your heels and drag this out for 5 pages? Just trying to save some time here.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Moriatti posted:

Genocide is killing a large group of people.

It's not, hth.

Genocide is the act of trying to kill a group (racial/religious/national/etc) entirely or in part. That part has to be pretty significant, and one ship does not qualify.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 23, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Moriatti posted:

lmao u is a dumb gently caress pleas gently caress off

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Moriatti posted:

So... if they blew up the ship with a bomb, it isn't genocide, but since they exploited a weakness in their species, it is?

That is not only wrong, it is stupid.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nah, this was less funny than I thought.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 23, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Not pictured: Geordi LaForge with roboeyes approaching nearby to ask him about his Irumodic Syndrome

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/922160388925468680

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Apple picking is taking bread out of the mouths of children.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Genocide is killing a large group of people. Killing them by UV poisoning definitely felt more like the Changeling Virus or Hugh's virus and I have a hard time seeing a captain aside from Janeway or Lorca making that exact call.

Hmmm ok, we're redefining words now I see.

It wasn't even a preemptive attack, the Krill already launched the missile. They had no time to try and reason with them, and if they did, they would have failed. If they didn't do anything, lots of innocent people would have died.

skasion posted:

Continues looks really good, like bang on almost all the time, and the actors by and large aren't completely awful which is all you can really hope for when they're just aping previous, better actors. And its heart is in the right place which is good to see. But the scripts aren't great and there are weird pacing issues in almost every episode. As far as fan productions go I think that's about as good it will ever get, it's seriously impressive as a passion project.

Yeah. They're definitely the best fan films ever made. Granted, that's not saying much as fan productions are usually godawful, but Star Trek Continues is actually worth watching if you're a fan of TOS and want more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blowing up a single starship of a reasonably populous race is not attempted genocide - and that, sir, would be the worst new thread title I have ever seen

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That ship was clearly an allegory for Srebrenica.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

In the interest of saving time the dictionary I checked (google) listed it as mass murder specifically targeting a group (in this case Krill), I can see why you wouldn't count one ship and I'll walk back on that because I done goofed there.

They did launch the missile after the timer was set.

It would not have been better to blow the ship up with a bomb (their original plan), it would've been better to not murder everyone but they were written into a position where that wasn't an option.

My point is they've killed a poo poo ton of people and would've killed a poo poo ton of children if they hadn't lucked out out on befriending the ship teacher. That's pretty dark.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Are you interested in learning what genocide actually is or if someone does tell you will you just dig in your heels and drag this out for 5 pages? Just trying to save some time here.

Welp, looks like he's gonna dig his heels in and drag it out

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

watching DS9 for the first time ever and i gotta say, despite him only showing up twice so far the Cardassian tailor loving owns.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NecroMonster posted:

watching DS9 for the first time ever and i gotta say, despite him only showing up twice so far the Cardassian tailor loving owns.

It's a shame they never revisit him after the first season :(

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
George Constanza has a vagina on his forehead.

Thanks, Voyager!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Oh just you wait. You haven't seen anything yet. Garak is amazing.