Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Might and Magic is the best sci fi RPG series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't Ar Tonelico's explanation of magic that Reyvateils are the only ones with admin privileges to the giant computer they live on and there's console commands to summon fireballs

Random-rear end sci-fi elements in fantasy settings rule

I think its almost harder to find fantasy game settings where there aren't some random scifi elements. Its a really common thing in Final Fantasy to have robots, or have dungeons that are literally space ships. We already talked about most of the Tales series and Wild Arms, and there's also Phantasy Star, Lunar, Warcraft, Divinity, Might and Magic, Age of Wonders, Wizardry, Ultima, Etrian Odyssey, The Last Remnant etc that have random scifi stuff thrown in to a greater or lesser degree off the top of my head.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna buy SO4 so the only one I don't have on my PS4 is the first game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think one of the King's Field games, when you got to the very bottom of the dungeon it turned into sci-fi computers and stuff, that's cool, they should have done that in one of the Souls games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

I think its almost harder to find fantasy game settings where there aren't some random scifi elements. Its a really common thing in Final Fantasy to have robots, or have dungeons that are literally space ships. We already talked about most of the Tales series and Wild Arms, and there's also Phantasy Star, Lunar, Warcraft, Divinity, Might and Magic, Age of Wonders, Wizardry, Ultima etc that have random scifi stuff thrown in to a greater or lesser degree off the top of my head.

Yeah you might be right that there's more with sci-fi elements than without. It's not universal though, off the top of my head Fire Emblem, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and Valkyrie Profile stay strictly fantasy. Well I guess you could argue the dwarven stuff is sci-fi in Elder Scrolls but it never felt like that to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even stuff that stays strictly fantasy brings in some sci-fi ideas and concepts. Like FE7 dealing a lot with artificial humans and traveling to an alternate dimension and stuff. sci-fi and fantasy are heavily intertwined genres in a lot of ways and JRPGs, especially, aren't exactly sticklers for making sure the wires don't cross.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Zore posted:

I think its almost harder to find fantasy game settings where there aren't some random scifi elements. Its a really common thing in Final Fantasy to have robots, or have dungeons that are literally space ships. We already talked about most of the Tales series and Wild Arms, and there's also Phantasy Star, Lunar, Warcraft, Divinity, Might and Magic, Age of Wonders, Wizardry, Ultima, Etrian Odyssey, The Last Remnant etc that have random scifi stuff thrown in to a greater or lesser degree off the top of my head.

"Are there robots or not" is a less useful question than "how much technology and what level." Final Fantasy 4 is mostly medieval with limited airships, and a few conspicuous elements of extremely high technology (a robot, a moon city). Same with Tales of Phantasia, which has a magical cannon (which in practice looks more occult than spacey) and a single abandoned Star Trek city. That's different from FF8, where futuristic technology is everywhere, or a Star Ocean game where space-age tech is at least nominally normal for some characters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Soft sci-fi has never been different from fantasy in anything but aesthetics anyways

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, its kind of a weird quirk where in most media Fantasy and Scifi are very distinct genres that do not overlap outside of some very notable exceptions (Star Wars being the big one) but video games really tend to mix them together a lot.

A lot of that, especially on the JRPG side, probably has to do with how influential Wizardry was and all its weird late-game scifi stuff.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

cheetah7071 posted:

Soft sci-fi has never been different from fantasy in anything but aesthetics anyways

It's at least thematically different in that technology is completely built and controlled while magic stuff usually has some kind of black box element, like a core crystal or special energy or whatever, even if it basically works like a machine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Yeah, its kind of a weird quirk where in most media Fantasy and Scifi are very distinct genres that do not overlap outside of some very notable exceptions (Star Wars being the big one) but video games really tend to mix them together a lot.

A lot of that, especially on the JRPG side, probably has to do with how influential Wizardry was and all its weird late-game scifi stuff.

video games are also much longer than any other medium, so there's more need for escalation and variety, so going from wizards and swords to fighting a giant robot is a pretty easy way of doing that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

the wild arms writer went on to make an anime where the villain of the first season is a time-traveling, ancient wizard who made the tower of babel and was reincarnated into confucius, julius caesar, and john f. kennedy and wants to recreate the tower of babel in order to blow up the moon, because alien lizardpeople live there

the wild arms writer owns

Wait, the Wild Arms writer wrote Symphogear? That's great. Also the reasoning for blowing up the moon is actually even crazier than that, it's because the moon is actually some sort of cursed godly supercomputer that is the cause of the language curse that god put on humanity after the whole tower of babel incident. And she wants to do this because she like, actually loves god. As in, romantically.

Unless there are TWO animes about time traveling reincarnating ancient wizards who want to rebuild the tower of babel to blow up the moon. Which is, to be honest, not an impossibility.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
akifumi kaneko owns bones

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyway fantasy games should continue to have robots but they should be fluffed as magic instead of technology

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyway fantasy games should continue to have robots but they should be fluffed as magic instead of technology

Those are Golems.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Those are Golems.

yeah golems that look like beep boop robots rule

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think you just used this thing to blow up a rock or something

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

i think you just used this thing to blow up a rock or something

You drop it in a volcano so the lava overflows and builds a path you can cross.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is the character on the right Fox McCloud because it looks like him

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

He is named Bo because he uses a Bow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Electric Phantasm posted:

For those of you who don't know the SMT game for the Switch is SMTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyCAFV9MbM

I've got a good feeling about RPGs on the Switch. :parrot:

...or will once SE announced DQXI's getting a Switch version, and when.

Zore posted:

Ancient highly advanced civilizations are a more common Fantasy trope than probably magic or elves. It's much harder to list series that don't have it in some way.

More often than not, Fantasy is a post-apocalyptic setting of some kind. Even LotR had this (which is probably why so many fantasy settings do too).

Phantasium posted:

You drop it in a volcano so the lava overflows and builds a path you can cross.

It drops itself in a volcano. Because it's sentient and knows how dangerous a weapon it is. :smith:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

God, I love Breath of Fire.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think this is my favorite Ar Tornelco song because it's just dueling If Then statements.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GulagDolls posted:

i think every single wild arms game is actually about aliens

or at least 1-3

4 is NANOMACHINES and the final boss is a nanomachine cluster clone of Jude's dad, that's something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

has anyone played this nocturne romhack?

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3299/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zore posted:

So is Symphonia considering the literal space ship, the dimension-hopping hoverbikes and all the genetic modification and supercomputers.

Only the final Dungeon of Symphonia is really sci-fi

So yeah I guess you're right it's basically the same

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wait, the Wild Arms writer wrote Symphogear? That's great. Also the reasoning for blowing up the moon is actually even crazier than that, it's because the moon is actually some sort of cursed godly supercomputer that is the cause of the language curse that god put on humanity after the whole tower of babel incident. And she wants to do this because she like, actually loves god. As in, romantically.

Unless there are TWO animes about time traveling reincarnating ancient wizards who want to rebuild the tower of babel to blow up the moon. Which is, to be honest, not an impossibility.
yeah the wild arms writer wrote symphogear. There's actually some wild arms references in symphogear, like a character named tony (for those reading this convo that havent played wild arms, tony is the wild arms equivalent to Cid), a few songs that are very spaghetti western inspired for no real reason. There's also some dialogue and terminology callbacks that are only really obvious if you've played wild arms in Japanese, due to, uh, wild arms 2's translation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

God, I love Breath of Fire.

A shame what happened to it. I wishthere were more jrpgs with nonhuman party members with fun field skills (not counting pokemon or similar summoning based games where they aren't actual characters). If the world needs saving let some reps from all of its people in.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

the wild arms writer went on to make an anime where the villain of the first season is a time-traveling, ancient wizard who made the tower of babel and was reincarnated into confucius, julius caesar, and john f. kennedy and wants to recreate the tower of babel in order to blow up the moon, because alien lizardpeople live there

the wild arms writer owns

Wait they wrote Symphogear?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I am looking for something that I can play on my PC using an xbox controller.

Ideally it will have cloud saves.

So help me choose from:

- I own most of the Ys games on Steam and don't know which one to play first, if I go with this.

- Breath of Death VII...

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

- Cthulhu saves the world.

I also have Final Fantasy VI but I'm not sure how much old-school random combat I can stomach at the moment.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If you're gonna play Ys, start with either Oath of Felghana or Origins. 1+2 are dated and really only interesting for being the first games, but you can just skip them. Also Ys would be the main thing to benefit from a controller, since everything else in your list is a turn based rpg, and Trails originally was made with the PC in mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

yea

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
BoD7 isn't really worth playing. CSTW will probably take about ten hours tops, and it's alright. I'd probably just go with some Falcom.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

yeah, they're the original creator of the series and they're in charge of scriptwriting and series composition for all seasons. akifumi kaneko rules, man

BadAstronaut posted:

So help me choose from:

- I own most of the Ys games on Steam and don't know which one to play first, if I go with this.

- Breath of Death VII...

I also have Final Fantasy VI but I'm not sure how much old-school random combat I can stomach at the moment.

trails and ys are good picks, start ys with ys origin or oath in felghana cause they're both the tops

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BadAstronaut posted:

So help me choose from:

- Breath of Death VII...

play the oath in felghana

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So 1 and 2 really aren't necessary to play for the story etc?

And getting conflicting opinions on Oath vs Origins... let's say I definitely intend to play both. Which of the two to begin with?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

And getting conflicting opinions on Oath vs Origins... let's say I definitely intend to play both. Which of the two to begin with?

I'd start with Oath simply because it's an earlier iteration of that engine. Both are drat good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I & II: Not at all, though there will be some slight references to it every now and then. Ys as a series is (usually) so light on plot that it's not something one needs to generally worry about it at least when it comes to the titles connecting to one another.

Oath vs. Origin: Honestly doesn't matter, and any preference a person has seems to often come down to which one they played first. I kind of prefer Oath because I like exploring a world and playing as Adol; in Origin you're exploring a giant tower the whole game and play as a trio of non-Adol folks. Arguably another knock against Origin is that the best playthrough is one with the third character, which you only unlock after beating the game once (or twice on the PS4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BadAstronaut posted:

1&2 are the only games with an interconnecting storyline, the series at large is just framed as The Great Adventures Of Adol And Friends, where at most characters who appeared in previous games make reference to them but you don't really need to play the games they come from to get an idea of who they are.

and yeah there's not really either i'd say is a better pick, origin is a very different thing from most ys games--i'd say it's the most arcadey. oath is more of a big action rpg adventure with a world map and a town and a shop and stuff.