Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Do... do you regularly drive through lightning storms?

You basically have to in the summer in the Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

dis astranagant posted:

You basically have to in the summer in the Midwest.

This is incredibly true.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It's really strange to me that driving through a lightning storm would strike someone as unusual. It's weird when people live in a climate different than mine.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, I was driving once when lightning hit a tree probably 30-40 feet away, and a chunk of burning tree bounced off my windshield. Not very big, probably the size of a pill bottle or something. Woke me up though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Another tire boob.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I've lived in NY and Ohio, and the only time I've ever had lightning strike anywhere other than "somewhere on the horizon" was one time when an Arby's got struck by lightning as I was driving past. And I've been driving for 20 years at this point.

The idea of lightning striking nearby often enough to match that up with phone reboots is just weird to me.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Keiya posted:

Over ninety percent of lighting strike victims survive, even if it did hit her!

They also get rad looking scars.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

spankmeister posted:

You're a moron that blinds people because you're a lazy gently caress

This can't be true because I can barely see anything so it's surely not that bright

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This can't be true because I can barely see anything so it's surely not that bright

don't sign your posts

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is your posting gimmick that you are stevie wonder, who is not blind irl

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Growing up we'd occasionally have lightning strike a tree out back close enough to affect the computer CRT monitor like the world's worst degauss.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

I've lived in NY and Ohio, and the only time I've ever had lightning strike anywhere other than "somewhere on the horizon" was one time when an Arby's got struck by lightning as I was driving past. And I've been driving for 20 years at this point.

The idea of lightning striking nearby often enough to match that up with phone reboots is just weird to me.

Back in the late 90's I had just moved to a new apartment. The 1st week there had a horrendous thunderstorm that dumped a poo poo-ton of water. Lightning hit extremely close (like the flash and thunder was instantaneous). All my windows rattled, it knocked my sliding screen out of the track and my circuit breakers all popped. Weirdly, reset them and everything was fine.

The next day, the township was out with a torch cutting open the manhole cover in the middle of the lot. There was a nifty burn pattern radiating out from the manhole as well. Apparently, the lightning hit the iron cover. I'm not sure if it actually welded it, or if the force of it just jammed in in place.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

zedprime posted:

Growing up we'd occasionally have lightning strike a tree out back close enough to affect the computer CRT monitor like the world's worst degauss.

You mean best degauss. I miss CRTs just for that thunk and buzz when you hit the button.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

boner confessor posted:

is your posting gimmick that you are stevie wonder, who is not blind irl

no I post with scincerity only

if you gently caress around with irony too much you can get irony poisoning because the body built up too many irons too quickly

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From the politics image thread in CSPAM:

an actual dog posted:

warning! this tweet is VERY SPOOKY!! Please be cautious when viewing this tweet!

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/922611518964985859

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/StevenJMiles/status/922327369095847937

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
We have the first documented evidence of a Thunder Wizard

https://gfycat.com/NegligibleSillyAmericancicada

:science:

E: V I thought it was being unusually unco-operative :v:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 24, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ignimbrite posted:

[video type=""]/NegligibleSillyAmericancicada.webm[/video]

it's a hack for this poo poo to work, no way to embed without it being massive.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Ignimbrite posted:

https://gfycat.com/NegligibleSillyAmericancicada

E: V I thought it was being unusually unco-operative :v:

I get the whole equalizing of potential and not providing a path to ground thing making that safe, but how big of a risk is some kind of arc flash incident across lines in those circumstances? It seems like you'd want to be pretty cautious about providing any new paths between the phases, right? Or are they way further apart than it appears such that it is unlikely you'd be in a position to make any meaningful difference?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/pmigpyZ.mp4

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Omg

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:tif:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

We only get our garbage from the cleanest, naturally filtered streams. Just as Mother Nature intended.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Downstream from Neogaf.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Right out my window at work they're finishing the construction of a seven-ish-storey building.

The builders have put the windows in, but still need supplies for interior work, so they've set up a receiving platform on the top floor. It sticks out so the crane guy can hoist poo poo up from the ground.
The platform is a thick rust-coated 3x3m metal box, kinda like a flatbed. I have no idea how it's held internally.
On the outside, though, it's got one side without a railing, and two sides with railings, also rusted, bent outwards and seriously lacking in actual railing: the lower bar is so high, and the two support posts are so far apart a man can easily roll through.

The SOP for using with it seems to be three guys coming out onto it and violently hugging several bags of concrete tied together with straps hanging off the crane. The weather's wet and has just gone below the freezing point.

They've got helmets and vests on, though, so it must be OK.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

How utterly loving depressing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*clonk*

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Hubis posted:

I get the whole equalizing of potential and not providing a path to ground thing making that safe, but how big of a risk is some kind of arc flash incident across lines in those circumstances? It seems like you'd want to be pretty cautious about providing any new paths between the phases, right? Or are they way further apart than it appears such that it is unlikely you'd be in a position to make any meaningful difference?

When you see two wires right next to each other like that they are the same phase, just doubled up conductors. The other phases are on the other arms of the tower, much further away.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

preview of a world free from job-killing regulations

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

jesus, get the drat net! that's enough bottle deposits for a Big Gulp!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/CZnwxOf.mp4

Is there an OSHA for animals? I feel like there should be if there isn't.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Power Bottom posted:

Remind me not to call for roadside assistance in India.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deteriorata posted:

Remind me not to call for roadside assistance in India.

Someone told the elephant there was a tiger in the tank

Edit: holy gently caress the full video is so much more :psyduck:

"Hey let's push our baby prams right up next to these out of control elephants what could possibly go wrong???"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pk3-q-_Bk0

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 24, 2017

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

late stage capitalism

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Dr. Robotnik's ideal natural world.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SelenicMartian posted:

Right out my window at work they're finishing the construction of a seven-ish-storey building.
I like to believe not that you are estimating the height, but instead that, in OSHA thread style, someone measured wrong, producing a building that is seven-ish stories tall.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goatsestretchgoals posted:

late stage capitalism

More like ur posting

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slugworth posted:

I like to believe not that you are estimating the height, but instead that, in OSHA thread style, someone measured wrong, producing a building that is seven-ish stories tall.

It's not unheard of for buildings to have a 7-ish floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Y7oo3iB40

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Power Bottom posted:

It's like the car is made of styrofoam...

Alternatively: elephant crossfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bonster posted:

It's like the car is made of styrofoam...

Alternatively: elephant crossfit

Elephants are very strong