Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I started playing Steamworld Dig 2 earlier now I have less than six hours before I have to be up for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Remember Alan Wake?

You surely don't remember the music video made to promote it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_hewSrAH4

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Vincent posted:

As long as you stay out of GBS.
and FYAD.
and BYOB
and the book forum
and the drug one
and

I'm a philistine what do they do in the book forum that's bad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Singularity is on sale for like 7 bucks so I bought that so hopefully it's good!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Adaptabullshit posted:

Remember Alan Wake?

Hell yeah I do. That video got me so hyped and ilkka villi is a very handsome man

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Taintrunner posted:

Singularity is on sale for like 7 bucks so I bought that so hopefully it's good!
It's alright. Shotgun + a fully realized decapitation engine is cool. It's Raven Software's swan song before it was made into a CoD mappack studio :smith:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 23, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm a philistine what do they do in the book forum that's bad

I only read the recommendations thread but someone recently started an argument about whether books should be entertaining or not.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wait what's up with the book forum

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

CJacobs posted:

Hell yeah I do. That video got me so hyped and ilkka villi is a very handsome man

Did that make the rounds on foreign news sites? I remember seeing it occasionally on THE VOICE, but didn't come across the vid when the game got released.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just posted this in the psn thread, but it looks like Wayforward are releasing a movie tie in for that lovely Mummy movie and it looks like Metroidvania Contra (Contravania if you will) and honestly looks pretty dope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbtUfqam5g

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Singularity is incredibly good, and also the kind of FPS that they don't make anymore

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wait what's up with the book forum

The only thing I'm really familiar with is the running argument through the various genre fiction threads about whether genre fiction is good or bad or whether "genres" exist at all.

I don't think it's all that bad myself but there are some posters over there who get real touchy when people criticize their favorite fantasy series, and also posters who just can't resist starting those arguments over and over again.

I'm sure there are more annoying things going on in the threads I don't read.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phantasium posted:

Tell me you didn't even buy it ironically, Colonel

if i had a ps4 i would've bought star ocean 5 on release unironically

honestly all they have to do is bring back all the weird private actions and the 80+ endings and i'd be partial to the series again

oh and change crafting back to so2 style, except the models are photorealistic like you do

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Remember Alan Wake?

There was also a companion mini web series that was surprisingly competent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ0-hkoG80k

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 23, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Someone over there doesn't like the Discworld books

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Star Ocean V was the most aggressively bland game I've ever played, it's the videogame equivalent of a toast sandwich.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vincent posted:

and FYAD.
and BYOB
and the book forum
and the drug one
and

book barn is more dead than bad, though granted i only read like two threads in there and one of them i started

BYOB isn't bad either imo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vincent posted:

and FYAD.
and BYOB
and the book forum
and the drug one
and

Phantasium posted:

Games, can't forget games.

I honestly think that a lot of the best communities left on SA are in Games -- they just live in specific, somewhat insular threads, rather than the subforum as a whole.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LawfulWaffle posted:

:yikes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

hosed up if true

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Discworld is inoffensive but praised wildly out of proportion to either the quality of its prose or the quality of its politics. Like, Pratchett was a nice old man with humdrum liberal values that he expresses earnestly in his paperback dime novels. He's like a slightly more left-leaning Douglas Adams.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Discworld is inoffensive but praised wildly out of proportion to either its quality of its prose or the quality of its politics. Like, Pratchett was a nice old man with humdrum liberal values that he expresses earnestly in his paperback dime novels. He's like a slightly more left-leaning Douglas Adams.

Well, I'd say he's like a more competent Douglas Adams. And I say that as someone who spent all of the late 80s obsessed with Hitchhiker's Guide. Pratchett was simply better.

E: To be a bit less harsh, Pratchett is what I imagine Adams would have ended up writing like if he hadn't had crippling depression and writer's block for like 20 years

al-azad
May 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just posted this in the psn thread, but it looks like Wayforward are releasing a movie tie in for that lovely Mummy movie and it looks like Metroidvania Contra (Contravania if you will) and honestly looks pretty dope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbtUfqam5g

Jeremy "hand drew the entirety of Metal Gear and original Metroid for the fun of it" Parish had high praise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

Well, I'd say he's like a more competent Douglas Adams. And I say that as someone who spent all of the late 80s obsessed with Hitchhiker's Guide. Pratchett was simply better.

E: To be a bit less harsh, Pratchett is what I imagine Adams would have ended up writing like if he hadn't had crippling depression and writer's block for like 20 years

I wish Adams was still with us because the guy was an early pioneer in video games as a narrative device. In a Kickstarter world I feel like we would've gotten great multimedia experiences from him in 2017.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

al-azad posted:

"hand drew the entirety of Metal Gear and original Metroid for the fun of it"

I had no idea this existed, looked it up and now I need it my life

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually i just read a whole massive article recently how douglas adams was an incredibly lovely game developer and would basically show up once a year, dump a lot of plot and demands on the one other guy writing the text adventures, and then gently caress off for a year leaving him to write the entire thing himself.

kind of a proto peter molyneux

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

I wish Adams was still with us because the guy was an early pioneer in video games as a narrative device. In a Kickstarter world I feel like we would've gotten great multimedia experiences from him in 2017.

I've still never played Starship Titanic

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got the impression from The Salmon of Doubt that Adams drove/would have driven any employers and coworkers in any job to absolute despair

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

actually i just read a whole massive article recently how douglas adams was an incredibly lovely game developer and would basically show up once a year, dump a lot of plot and demands on the one other guy writing the text adventures, and then gently caress off for a year leaving him to write the entire thing himself.

Well, like Peter Molyneux he was hands on in the early years then hosed off once his position became more managerial.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

did some digging and i'm remembering a combination of this: http://www.filfre.net/2015/08/bureaucracy/

and this: http://www.filfre.net/2013/11/the-computerized-hitchhikers/

quote:

Brian Moriarty is less diplomatic: “Douglas Adams was a very funny man, very witty, a very good writer, and also very, very lazy. Anyone who knew Douglas will tell you that he really didn’t like to work very much.” Just to add insult to injury, when Adams did rouse himself to work on a game project it turned out to be for a competing developer. In January of 1986 he spent several days holed up in London with a sizable chunk of the staff of Lucasfilm Games, contributing ideas and puzzles to their Labyrinth adventure game. That may not sound like the worst betrayal in the world at first blush, but consider again: he devoted more time and energy to this ad-hoc design consultation than he ever had to what was allegedly his own game, the one Infocom had started making at his specific request.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bureaucracy is easily one of the top 10 Infocom games. I love it so much. It's balls-rear end hard, but in a fair way. It's the Dark Souls of interactive fiction.

Ciaphas posted:

I got the impression from The Salmon of Doubt that Adams drove/would have driven any employers and coworkers in any job to absolute despair

Reading Mostly Harmless drove me to despair.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cowcaster posted:

Didn't Harlan Ellison do something similar when he was asked to help make the "I Have No Mouth" adventure game?

He basically told the staff there couldn't be a happy ending, no happy endings. The player had to feel miserable the whole time trying to get through via trial and error and AM gets to laugh at them?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Didn't Harlan Ellison do something similar when he was asked to help make the "I Have No Mouth" adventure game?

He basically told the staff there couldn't be a happy ending, no happy endings. The player had to feel miserable the whole time trying to get through via trial and error and AM gets to laugh at them?

I believe in that case the game's developers were happy about it though - I don't think if he hadn't said that that they would have made a game with a typical happy ending or whatever.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I honestly think that a lot of the best communities left on SA are in Games -- they just live in specific, somewhat insular threads, rather than the subforum as a whole.

real talk the best community in SA is SAS, specifically the basketball homies

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well now I'm thinking about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream's Game Over screen and I feel bad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I started playing Steamworld Dig 2 earlier now I have less than six hours before I have to be up for work.

You could do so much digging in six hours though! :killdozer:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

He didn't necessarily say 'no happy endings', his phrasing was more along the lines of 'you can't win'. Not in a gameplay sense, but in the game overall. The idea was that you could totally beat I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, but even if you do, AM still wins. And it ended up sort of holding true, you can diverge from the end of the real story in the game and defeat AM, but it requires sacrificing all of the characters and getting all but one of them turned into slugs like the game over screen.

edit: And in the censored German version it actually was true, you literally can't win, because the nazi scientist doctor's segment was chopped and rendered unbeatable. You need all 5 characters to survive their scenarios to beat the game, but since you couldn't finish Nimdok's, well... AM wins by default.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well now I'm thinking about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream's Game Over screen and I feel bad

There was someone on SA with an avatar of that screen with the subtitle MOUTHLESS LOSER. It always made me laugh when i saw it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i decided to set up the silent hill 3 pc port since i'll be moving onto it after silent hill 2 and whoa

• Locked thread