Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

What is wrong with people???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Sarcopenia posted:

What is wrong with people???

We're kind of a garbo species sometimes. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that while we're a very social species, we're also relatively violent by nature, compared to most other organisms. (While that's a bit of a softball article, it's a good summary of the issue.) I mean, we're getting better on average, over time. So, there is some hope for the future and for these incidences of extreme violence to become rarer and rarer, provided we don't all die for some other stupid reason.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

We're kind of a garbo species sometimes.

There are a lot of people just walking around absolutely primed and prepared to give a poo poo about a total stranger, but you don't see them until you do.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

There are a lot of people just walking around absolutely primed and prepared to give a poo poo about a total stranger, but you don't see them until you do.

Oh don't get me wrong, there's a reason I used the qualifier 'sometimes', but that is worth clarifying, I suppose. There's a reason sociopathy and psychopathy were (maybe still are? I'm not current) such controversial topics for research; empathy is endemic to the overwhelming majority of people. Last I knew, consensus was that even people who are not naturally empathetic to others can usually learn empathy, but it doesn't come as naturally to some and must be given active cognition.

We also just, uh, don't always apply empathy wisely or freely enough in the first place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Australian parents jumping off bridges with children: was looking for this story, had to page through results for this story. :(

Suicide needs to be a solo enterprise if necessary. Solo. Alone.

I know suicide is typically the irrational decision of a sick mind but given that most people do it without harming others there is clearly some percentage that are just complete assholes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

We're kind of a garbo species sometimes. [url="https://www.livescience.com/56306-primates-including-humans-are-the-most-violent-animals.html"]It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that while we're a very social species, we're also relatively violent by nature, compared to most other organisms.

The only reason we're still not doing the tiny clan/tribe thing as hunter-gatherers like chimps is due to our domestication by the now ubiquitous canis lupus.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

LeJackal posted:

The only reason we're still not doing the tiny clan/tribe thing as hunter-gatherers like chimps is due to our domestication by the now ubiquitous canis lupus.

Dogs being wonderful aside, sometimes I think humans aren't really programmed to live in cities.

Seems to be a higher tendency for people to go loopy in a concentrated population environment. Anonymity n poo poo aint good for us.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Mackers posted:

Dogs being wonderful aside, sometimes I think humans aren't really programmed to live in cities.

Seems to be a higher tendency for people to go loopy in a concentrated population environment. Anonymity n poo poo aint good for us.

Eh, I dunno about that. I mean, for sure, the internet has grown faster than cultural norms for dealing with it, but that's not necessarily an extension of urbanization nor related to cities in any way. You've got plenty of loopy people out in the country, and some of the loopiest intentionally withdraw from society (see also cults, and the farthest fringes of survivalism subcultures). You definitely get to see more concentrated crazy in cities, but that's just because there's more people. Humans are just sort of goofy in general.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The poo poo I hear about small towns puts me off that notion entirely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Having lived in both small towns and big cities I can say with authority that cities are better. A lot better.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Solice Kirsk posted:

Having lived in both small towns and big cities I can say with authority that cities are better. A lot better.

I second that emotion.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I know suicide is typically the irrational decision of a sick mind but given that most people do it without harming others there is clearly some percentage that are just complete assholes.

I'd go further and say suicide is usually a rational decision of a sick, suffering mind that wishes to end that suffering; and despite the obvious lasting pain that the suicide of someone close to us causes, suicidal people tend to think that others will be better off without them. The decisions seem rational but it's the premises that are flawed. IMO Suicide with the intent to cause anguish and murder-suicide are a completely different kettle of fish.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I prefer big towns and small cities and I'd say "to hell with anything else" but they're already there.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think you'll find that different people prefer different things. Some folks like me prefer smaller towns, while other like living in big cities. Some other people prefer throw babies off of bridges, let's focus on that

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Mellancamp posted:

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

same

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mackers posted:

Preferences aside, psychosis is much more common in big cities. We don't really know why that is, but people who grow up in or live in cities are much more likely to develop symptoms of psychosis, so it's not just that psychotic people move to cities.

I guess all things considered cities are a reasonable choice for rich people depending on personal preference, and overall a worse environment for most poor people.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Sausages posted:

I'd go further and say suicide is usually a rational decision of a sick, suffering mind that wishes to end that suffering; and despite the obvious lasting pain that the suicide of someone close to us causes, suicidal people tend to think that others will be better off without them. The decisions seem rational but it's the premises that are flawed. IMO Suicide with the intent to cause anguish and murder-suicide are a completely different kettle of fish.
This doesn't apply to most of the people brought up here who murdered their kids to get revenge on someone else, but some psychotic/suicidal parents believe that the only way to protect their babies is to bring them to heaven with them. Andrea Yates is a good example: she was seriously psychotic and was convinced that she had to kill her kids to get them into heaven (and had been telling people this for years!). If there were any justice in this world, she'd have gone to a nice padded room while her husband (who knew she was psychotic, had convinced her to go off her meds, and had left her alone with the kids despite being warned not to) should have gone to prison for allowing it to happen.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Wow, what? I hadn't been paying much attention to the trial at the time, I wasn't really aware of that wrinkle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates posted:

According to trial testimony in 2006, Dr. Saeed advised Rusty, a former NASA engineer, not to leave Andrea unattended. However, he began leaving her alone with the children in the weeks leading up to the drownings for short periods of time, apparently to improve her independence.[12] He had announced at a family gathering the weekend before the drownings that he had decided to leave her home alone for an hour each morning and evening, so that she would not become totally dependent on him and his mother for her maternal responsibilities.[23]

Her brother, Brian Kennedy, told Larry King on a broadcast of CNN's Larry King Live that Rusty expressed to him in 2001 while transporting her to Devereux treatment facility that all depressed people needed was a "swift kick in the pants" to get them motivated.[24]

According to authors Suzy Spencer and Suzanne O'Malley, who investigated her story in great detail, it was during a phone call Dr. Saeed made to Rusty during the breaking news of the killings that Saeed first learned that she was not being supervised full-time.[26][6] Yates' first psychiatrist, Dr. Eileen Starbranch, says she was shocked to disbelief when, during an office visit with the couple, they expressed a desire to discontinue her medications so she could become pregnant again. She warned and counseled them against having more children, and noted in the medical record two days later, "Apparently patient and husband plan to have as many babies as nature will allow! This will surely guarantee future psychotic depression."[27] Nevertheless, Yates became pregnant with her fifth child, Mary, only 7 weeks after being discharged from Dr. Starbranch's care on January 12, 2000.[28]

Rusty Yates stated to the media he was never told by psychiatrists that his wife was psychotic nor that she could harm the children, and that, had he known otherwise, he would have never had more children. "'If I'd known she was psychotic, we'd never have even considered having more kids', he told the Dallas Observer".[29][30][31] However, Andrea Yates revealed to her prison psychiatrist, Dr. Melissa Ferguson, that prior to their last child, "she had told Rusty that she did not want to have sex because Dr. Starbranch had said she might hurt her children." Rusty, she said, simply asserted his procreative religious beliefs, complimented her as a good mother, and persuaded her that she could handle more children.[32]

During the trial, he'd successfully maintained the position that Yates would be found innocent. He had fantasies of having more children with her after she was successfully treated in a mental health facility and released on the proper medication. He worked his way through various fixes for their damaged lives, such as a surrogate motherhood and adoption (horrifying her family, attorneys and Houston psychiatrists) before giving in to reality.[6]

Jesus loving Christ. Yeah, that dude is a REAL loving piece of work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wow, what? I hadn't been paying much attention to the trial at the time, I wasn't really aware of that wrinkle.

Well, he's got no children now so I hope that reveals the true value of his faith to him.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Well, he's got no children now so I hope that reveals the true value of his faith to him.

It's like some bizarro Darwins award. Being so dumb that you kill all your offspring.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Sausages posted:

I want to reinforce that this is a good take on depression-related suicide for those who don't have a more...personal...understanding of the issue.

Depression manifests in a variety of ways, but at the heart of it is a fundamentally flawed set of assumptions about the world, which fundamentally color the interpretation of everything that happens to them in objective reality.

For example, if a person with depression believes that they are fundamentally unloveable and that everyone will abandon them eventually, everything that occurs is seen through that lens. If they text a friend and the friend doesn't respond for 30 minutes, they may perceive that as being because the friend secretly doesn't want to talk with them, even though they were just driving in traffic and couldn't respond immediately. To both sides, the objective reality of what happened is not in question: depressed person texted friend, friend responded 30 minutes later, but the depressed person's subjective interpretation of it was radically distorted compared to that of their friend.

That is why, when someone is truly in the grips of depression, suicide can be seen as the "rational" option, and even why the murder/suicide could be seen in the same way. It's a horrible, terrible, tragic conclusion, but it springs from logical reasoning off of irrational assumptions.

To bring this back to the unnerving articles, all that is why I see the end of Andrea Yates' story as disturbingly predictable and preventable well in advance. As for John Jonchuck, that is also why I see what he did as anger-driven murder that stems from "if I can't have her, no one can", rather than from the same place as Andrea Yates.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wow an engineer sees his wife as a baby factory, no way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not every suicide has it's roots in perceived rejection. It can also be a last desperate chance to exert control over a life that has tumbled into seeming chaos. Whether it's due to illness, financial situation, or whatever.

However, regardless of the impetus, this is fundamentally the root (emphasis mine):

Azathoth posted:

That is why, when someone is truly in the grips of depression, suicide can be seen as the "rational" option, and even why the murder/suicide could be seen in the same way. It's a horrible, terrible, tragic conclusion, but it springs from logical reasoning off of irrational assumptions.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

One of the cases covered in this thread may have had a killer identified.
The Brabant killers in Belgium conducted a series of armed robberies in the Early 1980s. A former policeman apparently confessed to being part of the gang shortly before he died.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/98167835/crazy-killer-confession-may-help-solve-30yearold-belgian-mystery

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.goskagit.com/news/man-pleads-not-guilty-in-father-s-stabbing-death/article_479b3b6f-88d4-502d-ae77-ff5f098fb511.html
Alt-right, Gamergater Pizzagate truther gets into an argument with his parents, who he accuses of being leftists and pedophiles, then proceeds to stab his father to death.
Here is his youtube channel, where he rails against Common Core, ethics in videogames journalism and leftist pizzagate pedophiles.
https://www.youtube.com/user/seattle4truth

One of the silver linings of idiots uploading every second of their existence to youtube is that when some of them snap(ala Elliot Rodgers) they leave behind a treasure trove of crazy poo poo for us to pour over.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/pennsylvania/articles/2017-06-08/4-dead-in-murder-suicide-in-pennsylvania-supermarket
Here is another guy who uploaded a ton of videos, here is his last one before he killed 4 co-workers with a shotgun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJtAbUj-0KY

Here is his unfinished flash animation movie where he and a lady friend go on a Columbine style killing spree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bguj-NVkto

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Helios Grime posted:

It's like some bizarro Darwins award. Being so dumb that you kill all your offspring.

Technically speaking it is self-selecting yourself out of the gene pool. The only reason it's not a Darwin Award is because of the "no bystanders" rule.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

Technically speaking it is self-selecting yourself out of the gene pool. The only reason it's not a Darwin Award is because of the "no bystanders" rule.

Well, good news, guys! He managed to find some other lady to marry shortly after divorcing his incarcerated wife on the grounds that he was no longer living with/marital with her. The second marriage took place a year and a week after the divorce. He managed to have one and (thankfully?) only one more kid with her.

Apparently they divorced a couple of years back, after nine years of marriage. I'm tempted to speculate he continued being A Real loving Piece of Work, but I admit not knowing the circumstances from the wiki blurb and it's a bit gossip to pry further. The dude should have absolutely been held culpable for manipulating his first wife to act against medical advice; it doesn't sound like he was really remorseful about it either, just disappointed that the Lord put a temporary stop to his ability to produce as many children as his wife physically could before death.

Pick posted:

Wow an engineer sees his wife as a baby factory, no way.

Nice. I wish I had a witty retort or something here, but...yeah. STEM fields, son.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

She saw it as making the ultimate sacrifice, going to hell so that her children could go to heaven. They believed their kids were not yet at the age of accountability for their sins, after which you're responsible for your actions in God's eyes, so they'd automatically get into heaven.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
ANYWAY

Here's a mutant frog with its eyes in its mouth.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sex Hobbit posted:

ANYWAY

That must hurt when he eats.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Sex Hobbit posted:

ANYWAY

Looks a bit down in the mouth

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Sex Hobbit posted:

ANYWAY

This is probably more fitting for the creepy image thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683389

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

ANYWAY

What the gently caress! Delete this

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Solice Kirsk posted:

That must hurt when he eats.

Meh, frogs lick their own eyes. It’s probably fine.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sex Hobbit posted:

ANYWAY

:buddy:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Varkk posted:

The Brabant killers in Belgium conducted a series of armed robberies in the Early 1980s. A former policeman apparently confessed to being part of the gang shortly before he died.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/98167835/crazy-killer-confession-may-help-solve-30yearold-belgian-mystery

I wouldn't say it's cut and dry yet, but it really does seem like they finally identified one member of the gang. This is pretty huge in Belgium right now. And he wasn't just a of the police , he was a member of the police special forces, I guess more akin to SWAT in the US.

The guy's name also starts appearing as a possible suspect in the files in 1998, but was never seriously followed up on, even though he applied for leave on some of the days the killings took place etc.

There's always been rumours surrounding the gang and their motives, because they never seemed all that interested in money, just violence. Him being an outspoken right-wing racist gives a bit more credence to the theory that it was an attempt by right-wingers to destabilize the country and install a more authoritarian regime.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Sex Hobbit posted:

ANYWAY

what!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Varkk posted:

Can I just say how much I appreciate it when people make these deathbed confessions? They're not really risking anything, and it clears up the mystery for the rest of us.