Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like small bezels, but I'm more apprehensive of the 18:9 ratio, especially with OLEDs and most videos still being 16:9. My phone is a pretty vital media consumption tool when I'm at work or on the road, I like my 6in bigphone for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I hate a pencildick phone they look stupid

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

hotsauce posted:

And lol at the developer guidance for the "Sleep As Android" alarm app. He reminds us why Samsung sucks at writing software. I must have Stockholm Syndrome because I actually like it.

I use Sleep As Android on my Note 8 and haven't done that and haven't missed any alarms ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I generally like the feature too, except the notifications. I got tired of being informed that an app was draining my battery, then tapping it and finding out that putting said app to sleep would give me a whole extra 1 minute of battery life.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Double lol at being in the ms ecosystem

When you don't want advertisers to get your data but also hate competence, there's only one choice.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I like small bezels, but I'm more apprehensive of the 18:9 ratio, especially with OLEDs and most videos still being 16:9. My phone is a pretty vital media consumption tool when I'm at work or on the road, I like my 6in bigphone for that reason.
The only thing I really hate about having an 18.5:9 phone is the goddamn Netflix app zooming videos to fill the screen. It has an button that goes back to the original aspect ratio, but it resets when you play the next video or even pause the one you're watching.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LastInLine posted:

When you don't want advertisers to get your data but also hate competence, there's only one choice.
lol apple software is so much worse and while it may ask for your data nicely you are never, ever getting it out

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK i found a Pixel XL 2 demo unit despite the phone not being out in Canuckistan and my first impressions were "the blue tint thing is nothing, there's no burn-in, I'll just turn on the vivid colour mode and everything will be... oh it's on"

So yeah, it's a great looking phone, the speakers are dope, the video quality was great while playing "4K" sample videos on youtube, but the screen is normally so dull even in vivid colour mode that the youtube logo was closer to maroon than red. It was OK compared to my Pixel XL 1, a bit worse, but looks absolutely terrible next to a Note 8 demo.

So my wife and I are gonna regretfully cancel our orders. She felt the same about the screen, despite being completely ignorant to all things tech, and is now heavily leaning towards a Note 8, despite hating her last Samsung - an S4 - and loving her 6P until the battery committed suicide.

It almost seems like the display vibrancy could be fixed with a software update, considering youtube was fine... but I'm not willing to risk it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sometimes Google, Facebook, and Amazon send me ads and I end up buying the product because I am a hapless consumer, but it beats paying for cable TV ads I guess. I have to give those Google engineers credit when it comes to their music app, it's introduced me to a lot of bands I otherwise wouldn't have found.

It...it knows me. :tinfoil:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Tsyni posted:

Is it worth buying a new pixel 1 xl on eBay? Google Canada store is selling pixel 1s for $899 for some reason.
I'll sell you mine for $500. Nearly perfect condition.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Nitpicky question but, in the case of phones with rounded corners, how to they measure the diagonal? Like, is the Pixel XL 2 exactly 6.0 inches diagonal when measuring from one rounded corner to another, or are they using some weird math to get to that?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but I can't get my Galaxy Sky (J3ish) to update.

It'll download what I assume is Nougat (it's on Marshmallow) and then go through the installation process with the green droid icon and then reboot and say it couldn't install the update.

Looking around some people can't get an update to go through because they rooted, but mine says its status is Official even though I did change the bootloader to a generic from stock.

Any ideas? I've been searching around for a fix but so far nothing doing. Stuck not being able to root it and not being able to update it (finally) through the official channel.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

syscall girl posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but I can't get my Galaxy Sky (J3ish) to update.

It'll download what I assume is Nougat (it's on Marshmallow) and then go through the installation process with the green droid icon and then reboot and say it couldn't install the update.

Looking around some people can't get an update to go through because they rooted, but mine says its status is Official even though I did change the bootloader to a generic from stock.

Any ideas? I've been searching around for a fix but so far nothing doing. Stuck not being able to root it and not being able to update it (finally) through the official channel.

The system software is fine but the update package assumes the stock boot loader and shits itself when it finds anything else. Let me guess, abusive carrier?

Restoring the stock boot loader is not guaranteed to make the update work, and you may not be able to re-install the generic boot loader if it does update. You could be stuck at the mercy of XDA unless you replace the phone.

There is a Rooted Android thread, but it doesn't get much traffic and has less and less to discuss with each passing day, and you're here now.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 24, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You could also try flashing the factory image if it is available and then try flashing the update, it should work but you will lose your data so it's a last resort

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guillermus posted:

What jank? I disabled a few apps that I didn't like, put nova launcher and running on nougat. Camera is excelent and my last security patch is from 30th september. Oh, and my 5.2" screen looks awesome and Huawei gives 3 year warranty (aside from the 2 we EU users have).

I haven't used that device, but every time someone says "no this phone is super smooth" there's objective benchmarks showing how much less often the Pixel drops frames...which is definitely noticeable to a lot of people.

I mean, I'm sure it's possible that that phone you're talking about is in the Pixel-league, but as of right now you're right in there with all the people who claimed the OnePlusWhatever was jank-free, the Samsung whatever was jank-free, the whatever else was jank-free.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

I'll sell you mine for $500. Nearly perfect condition.

USD? That's what they are going for new on eBay for 128gb

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't used that device, but every time someone says "no this phone is super smooth" there's objective benchmarks showing how much less often the Pixel drops frames...which is definitely noticeable to a lot of people.

I mean, I'm sure it's possible that that phone you're talking about is in the Pixel-league, but as of right now you're right in there with all the people who claimed the OnePlusWhatever was jank-free, the Samsung whatever was jank-free, the whatever else was jank-free.

They're all jank free. No you can't measure, that wouldn't be fair!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

This is ten levels of hilarious because dickhead spent his entire hands-on preview and lengthy review saying that the 2 was a pointless yesterday's phone and the 2 XL was the one you should buy.

Because most reviewers aren't having to deal with an issue that shouldn't happen within a year or two, let alone two loving weeks.

I don't know why anyone would say it's a "yesterday's phone" when they have the same specs? :shrug:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Because most reviewers aren't having to deal with an issue that shouldn't happen within a year or two, let alone two loving weeks.

I don't know why anyone would say it's a "yesterday's phone" when they have the same specs? :shrug:

Some people are just really mad about bezels.

It's weird. I just want a non-squeaky speaker, don't care about bezel size as long as it's not a teeny screen with mountainous bezels.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Been using the Pixel 2 XL all day and this phone is amazing. Zero complaints.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Year or two is being very generous. My OG Pixel had burn in within 6 months.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea the big rant on how the Pixel 2 Jr shouldn't exist really was pretty out of line. But then again ARS quality has fallen far from where they once were.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does Anandtech still do awesome reviews?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It almost seems like the display vibrancy could be fixed with a software update, considering youtube was fine... but I'm not willing to risk it.
Of course it can be fixed in software. It's a wide gamut screen, it supports the same vibrancy as Samsung's. Google's even considering adding a new option to enable said vibrancy.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Perspective?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/23/opinion-pixel-2-xl-despite-one-big-flaw-still-favorite-android-phone-ever/

Perhaps some people are pickier than I, but I really don't even think about the quality of the screen when I'm using the 2 XL. I'm far more attentive to its extremely impressive performance, the quality of the images it captures, and the very pleasing fit and finish on the hardware. The Pixel 2 XL is just a Very Nice Smartphone. And that makes it exceptionally easy to recommend. And that screen? Yeah, it still looks pretty drat good at a straight-on angle.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Perspective?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/23/opinion-pixel-2-xl-despite-one-big-flaw-still-favorite-android-phone-ever/

Perhaps some people are pickier than I, but I really don't even think about the quality of the screen when I'm using the 2 XL. I'm far more attentive to its extremely impressive performance, the quality of the images it captures, and the very pleasing fit and finish on the hardware. The Pixel 2 XL is just a Very Nice Smartphone. And that makes it exceptionally easy to recommend. And that screen? Yeah, it still looks pretty drat good at a straight-on angle.

I mean, that's fair. For all I huffed about cancelling my preorder, I fully intend on still getting a 2XL, just wanted to wait for future hardware batches in case they address any screen issues, especially burnin.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Year or two is being very generous. My OG Pixel had burn in within 6 months.

The Galaxy S3 had some major burn in right around 2 years. It's a loving disgrace if your phone gets it before a year, even for heavy users. Even for floor models the Galaxys could be blasted up to 100% brightness and on for weeks a time with no real burn in.

I'm curious why they didn't just stick to Sammy again for both displays, although I can't find a solid source that it was indeed Samsung who made the smaller one, ifixit only seems to mention the XL.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Tsyni posted:

USD? That's what they are going for new on eBay for 128gb
Aw drat. I didn't look. $400? Its a 32GB. What are they even going for?

The Galaxy S3 had some major burn in right around 2 years. It's a loving disgrace if your phone gets it before a year, even for heavy users. Even for floor models the Galaxys could be blasted up to 100% brightness and on for weeks a time with no real burn in.

I'm curious why they didn't just stick to Sammy again for both displays, although I can't find a solid source that it was indeed Samsung who made the smaller one, ifixit only seems to mention the XL.
We already know why. Samsung can't provide enough premium panels for both themselves and Apple as is.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 24, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Samsung's vibrancy.

I know most Samsung users keep it on adaptive display which can look a bit cartoonish sometimes and causes people to go "herp derp we are above sarnsung cartooney!". I run my Note 8 on "basic" and it is extremely accurate. If Google could match that on the Pixel XL 2, they would be just fine. The problem is I'm not sure if LG's Hardware is good enough for it to matter.

Reds are straight up brown. Hopefully software can fix that, the blue tint and poor viewing angles strawman alert. ...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 24, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea the big rant on how the Pixel 2 Jr shouldn't exist really was pretty out of line. But then again ARS quality has fallen far from where they once were.
They got rid of the one guy who basically wrote Apple ad copy for all his reviews so things are looking up but him, the Android guy, Mark "Clickbait" Walton and two of the three gaming reporters are the only bad ones. What the aforementioned all have in common is zero domain expertise and in the former two's case zero experience with competing products.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Munkaboo posted:

Perspective?

This was basically my experience with the ~30 minutes I played around with an PXL2. I didn't even really think about the screen.

I don't want to defend putting a sub-par screen in the device, and I'm sure some people are really bothered by screen things and they should look elsewhere, but the Pixel brings a lot of other advantages to the table...

There's legit arguments to be made about the screen. Like...maybe if the screen is as bad as it sounds, Google should have given up on the pseudo-bezel-less design. I'm sure they had better expectations of where screen quality would be in 6-12 months from when they committed to a design. Or maybe there's a legit software problem that can fix some of the issues.

Regardless, a lot of people should probably just look at the thing before writing it off. Also, you should probably wait awhile anyway to see how Screengate washes out.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm holding onto my November 15 preorder of the 2xl but I'm hoping there is a fix or explanation. Might end up going Note 8 if not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Kind of, but quality has definitely went down since Anand left.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm holding onto my November 15 preorder of the 2xl but I'm hoping there is a fix or explanation. Might end up going Note 8 if not.

Lifes Good

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

ArgaWarga posted:

I think I got a bad 2XL. It's crashed 3 times today, usually when doing something basic like viewing a web page or my twitter feed, not even scrolling. The Bluetooth has crashed several times as well, which apparently is an issue that will be addressed by a security update, but the issues I was having before with the Now Playing keep happening. It's really disappointing, it's a great phone otherwise.

If anyone is following my personal drama with my Pixel, I did a factory reset yesterday, and things were pretty solid for a day and a half or so. Then today it crashed again while doing nothing. I called Google support and described my issue to the nice woman, and she told me to keep it in safe mode for a few hours. Did that, phone crashed again-- I pulled the phone out to set a timer while making dinner, and it was back to regular mode, hadn't been using it at all in the interim.

The good news is the Google person offered me a new replacement, not a refurb. So I guess I'll roll the dice again :ocelot:

I might just see if I can get a Pixel XL for my Nexus 6P and be done with it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

No.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The two good employees left to work at Apple.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good to see in a video what the problem looks like

https://youtu.be/EqDDYFyxZYo

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ArgaWarga posted:

I think I got a bad 2XL. It's crashed 3 times today, usually when doing something basic like viewing a web page or my twitter feed, not even scrolling. The Bluetooth has crashed several times as well, which apparently is an issue that will be addressed by a security update, but the issues I was having before with the Now Playing keep happening. It's really disappointing, it's a great phone otherwise.
My 2 crashed in my pocket today doing gently caress all, and didn't even respond to the power button for a few seconds. Worst case I'll ditch it for an 8 Plus and have a whole different set of reasons to hate my new phone :v:

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
The Verge has pulled the Pixel 2 review score until the fallout from the displays is over.

Lol at their random scoring system but I’m sure Google HQ has had better weeks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Good to see in a video what the problem looks like

https://youtu.be/EqDDYFyxZYo

Blessing of being colorblind. Didn't notice a lick of difference between any of those three phones for color, sRGB on or off. The only thing I can notice is the blue tint and that's really a non-issue for me since I'm not in a habit of using my phone off axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's not random, it's dependent upon revenue from the company