Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Just finished the first episode of Conversations with People who Hate Me. I'm not totally sure what I think of it. It's well produced and I think it's got a lot of potential. At the very least as a sort of historical documentation of the zeitgeist we're in. And I don't want to suggest it needs to be for me. But I live in the mid-west, I'm the only progressive in my office building and I hear the poo poo the right says constantly. So I don't know if I can listen to it being engaged, because that rhetoric is so loving cliche. I will say this. I spend a lot of days hiding because my continued livelihood depends on my not questions rear end in a top hat's, I'm glad that someone has the ability to do so.

The second episode goes somewhere pretty different, and then next week's episode is with someone who is not conservative at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Alice Isn't Dead is getting a TV show?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...0db6_story.html

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the USA Channel? Seems like an odd fit for their usual stuff, though I guess they do have Mr. Robot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Alice Isn't Dead tv sounds dope as hell

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Diners drive ins and dives but with Thistle men

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah I can totally imagine AiD working as a TV show pretty comfortably. For example Night Vale's format would need some major reworking to fit the TV. Very excited!

Also, I god drat hope Jasika Nicole is going to star as Keisha. She has to, right?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

Yeah I can totally imagine AiD working as a TV show pretty comfortably. For example Night Vale's format would need some major reworking to fit the TV. Very excited!

Also, I god drat hope Jasika Nicole is going to star as Keisha. She has to, right?

Her tumblr suggests it is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

Diners drive ins and dives but with Thistle men

with guy fieri as "earl" in episode one

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok I'm not normally one to brag about media mentions and that but I just loving love that we got this writeup in Jalopnik of all places

http://jalopnik.com/one-of-the-best-trucking-centric-horror-podcasts-is-com-1797904050

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Earwicker posted:

with guy fieri as "earl" in episode one

YASS

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Really digging the new Within the Wires season. It seems this takes place in a wold where WW2 didn't happen? "The Great Reckoning" seems to refer to WWI from what I can tell.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kazy posted:

Really digging the new Within the Wires season. It seems this takes place in a wold where WW2 didn't happen? "The Great Reckoning" seems to refer to WWI from what I can tell.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the concept of the setting from where the first episode established it. I can only imagine how weird it's going to get.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Latest episode.

Did... did Tamika Flynn just pull off a coup?:stare:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dr Pepper posted:

Latest episode.

Did... did Tamika Flynn just pull off a coup?:stare:

I think so :tinfoil:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

"A planet, of awesome size, lit by no sun" you say? Ok!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

"Dubbed a 'Hot Jupiter'", is NASA neging Jupiter?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
There is no way that the new city council arrangement will end badly. It'll all be great! :smithicide:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aside from the obvious, is this the first time it's been made explicit that the City Council is a single entity with multiple heads?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

docbeard posted:

Aside from the obvious, is this the first time it's been made explicit that the City Council is a single entity with multiple heads?

No, it was pretty explicitly so when they went out on a date with Station Management

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just got home from the Helsinki show! It was a wonderful evening altogether - definitely one of the best overall live show scripts (this is the only one I've actually seen) and the audience participation stuff was fabulous too. Only criticism is there was a bit too much of Erin McKeown for my tastes since her music isn't really my thing and a bit too little of Disparition. I was kind of expecting a full version of The Ballad of Fiedlr and Mundt or something, not really sure why, though. Definitely want to see the next tour if one ever comes back to Finland / Europe.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'm not entirely hooked on It Makes A Sound yet, but I'm interested to see where it goes.

PS if you actually need a working tape player (I assume that's just part of the story and you don't need one), I'm still using a stereo with dual tape decks, which worked last time I tried it (years ago). I can even copy the tape with it!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Is there going to be an I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats thread, or does the whole Nigtvale Presents family live here?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

vortmax posted:

I'm not entirely hooked on It Makes A Sound yet, but I'm interested to see where it goes.

I was interested enough in it from the trailer that played on the last Night Vale episode, but the first episode of this was obnoxious enough to burn up most of that interest, with ten minutes left to spare.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I was interested enough in it from the trailer that played on the last Night Vale episode, but the first episode of this was obnoxious enough to burn up most of that interest, with ten minutes left to spare.

I felt the same. It was like 15 minutes too long because it just never went anywhere. Maybe I'll give the second episode a shot but I'm hoping it's a lot more interesting.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
It is September, and the days have gone sinister...

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so like it's a lonely orphan lady who was obsessed with some teen guy with a band no ones ever heard of yeah?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I missed binging a long-form fictional podcast after finishing the first TAZ arc, and thought I might check out Night Vale (I didn’t know Fink was a goon until just now, drat the early pages of this thread are interesting to read :3:), but decided to try Alice Isn’t Dead first to see what I’d think of Fink’s style.

First season down and I gotta say I’m really enjoying it. The writing arguably works better written down than it does as narration, but the tone and overall story and music/ambience/voice acting are very good. Can’t wait to get to season 2 :)

How similar is Night Vale to Alice? I feel just from general cultural osmosis like it has more deadpan humour and isn’t quite as creepy, but are the storylines as well-thought-out over the run so far?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Night Vale veers into dark humor a lot more and isn't as story focused (though this varies between seasons) as character focused.

There are ongoing stories and themes even on the most episodic sections but NV is about the weird situations that occur in the town and how the characters respond (or don't) to them.

Fink has admitted most of the story stuff just comes up when an idea comes to him rather than being heavily planned in advance but hes so good at tying these plots to things already existing in the universe that they develop quite organically.

Also if the Strex plot starts to bore you when you reach it, keep going. Things only get better after it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 15, 2017

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Mokinokaro posted:

Also if the Strex beagle plot starts to bore you when you reach it, keep going. Things only get better after it.

FTFY

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Congratulations on the book release! I just started the Audible version. Looking forward to getting a hard copy when you guys are in Dallas in a few weeks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I mentioned Strex because I know a lot of people seemed to burn out at that arc.

The beagle thing is silly, but is mercifully short lived.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Am I the only one listening to It Makes A Sound? I'm actually really enjoying it.

It just feels so earnest. With Deidre latching onto her childhood nostalgia probably because after having to move back in with her mother who is clearly suffering from dementia, she's falling back on something that genuinely made her happy. Is it weird to find that charming?

Remember Wim Faros.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Am I the only one listening to It Makes A Sound? I'm actually really enjoying it.

It just feels so earnest. With Deidre latching onto her childhood nostalgia probably because after having to move back in with her mother who is clearly suffering from dementia, she's falling back on something that genuinely made her happy. Is it weird to find that charming?

Remember Wim Faros.

I'm liking it a lot. I thought the interactions in today's episode, Deidre getting her mother to play the tambourine, etc, was really sweet.

So you think Deidre had moved out of the Rosemary Hills townhouse and has only recently returned? I figured it was more a Gray Gardens thing where she was just stuck there and had been for decades.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drunkencarp posted:

I'm liking it a lot. I thought the interactions in today's episode, Deidre getting her mother to play the tambourine, etc, was really sweet.

So you think Deidre had moved out of the Rosemary Hills townhouse and has only recently returned? I figured it was more a Gray Gardens thing where she was just stuck there and had been for decades.

Well, she mentioned that a lot of people were moving back in with their parents due to the economy in episode 2, and considering her mother's condition, that would be another compelling reason for her to come back. And then one day she finds The Attic Tape while she's tidying the house, and then things go from there.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Yvonmukluk posted:

Remember Wim Faros.

I am enjoying the show where a nerd geeks out about a musician I've never heard of and tells others how life-changing the experience is. In addition to I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats, It Makes a Sound is pretty good. :rimshot:

Seriously, though, I thought the first episode of IMS was painful, as I was having trouble accepting that this fictional musician was so important and endless superlatives weren't convincing me. By episode 2 or 3, though, I realized that was the point. He's important to her personally but probably not to anyone else.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

YEah, It makes a sound is good. More stories about living in dying suburb town please.

Related, How come no one told me about Andrew WK?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is this the place to talk about the novels as well? I finished It Devours! yesterday and I I have so many comments and questions about it (most of the questions being "So where does this fall in the podcast timeline?" and "Wait, what's that about Kevin? But... I thought... but...").

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yes we usually discuss the novels here.

Jurgan posted:

Seriously, though, I thought the first episode of IMS was painful, as I was having trouble accepting that this fictional musician was so important and endless superlatives weren't convincing me. By episode 2 or 3, though, I realized that was the point. He's important to her personally but probably not to anyone else.

Yeah the earnestness of the entire thing is what sells it. She's a really goofy hipster obsessed with a super obscure artist, because his music/life actually had a profound effect on her.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay then, if talking about the books is fine here:

1) When does It Devours takes place? I don't recall any of the events of the book being mentioned, even offhandedly in the podcast so far, but it definitely seems to take place before the Huntokar arc and possibly before the Good Boy arc? There's an offhand mention of a discussion of dogs and "Who's a good boy", but that's about it.

2) Kevin: So if Kevin founded the church that eventually converted him from a defiant radio host into... well, Kevin, does that mean his whole life is an ouroboros? And what did they mean by "he went through the oak doors and returned, and then was sent back through the oak door"? Was the events of Old Oak Doors the first or the second time he went through them? I'm assuming the first time, because the way the ritual book is written sounds like strex-Kevin.

Edit: The novel takes place after Cecil and Carlos' wedding, so I'm not sure why I thought it may not have been after the Good Boy arc.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I finally listened to the Council Member Tamika Flynn trilogy. Figured I'd do it all at once

Was this the first time the City Council (as in the collective 'city Council', not including Tamika) did something by itself to resolve the plot?

I like how the Council's tendency to go on vacation at the first sign of trouble actually worked in the town's favour for once.