Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gay picnic defence posted:

You're sitting down which helps, and you pretty quickly learn how far you can lean and move around in the yak while keeping it stable. One of my kayak is supposedly stable enough for you to stand up in and cast a fly rod or whatever but I tried to stand up to take a piss out of it once and nearly fell in so now I piss out of the propel drive hole.

I just sold the one in the picture because I didn't have enough room for three kayaks.

Ever try pooping in one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This book cover is perfect in every way.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

LingcodKilla posted:

Ever try pooping in one?

No, I don't hit the water without backing one out on land first. I know a few people who have taken an aqua dump through the mirage drivewells on their Hobies but it doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.

Yesterday the forecast was for 10 knot winds on Saturday, the weather gods clearly decided that I needed to get some housework done instead or something :(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

No, I don't hit the water without backing one out on land first. I know a few people who have taken an aqua dump through the mirage drivewells on their Hobies but it doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun.

How do they deal with floaters?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Very carefully.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Taking a poo poo at sea is my number one fear of the non deadly sort.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

yeah not sure. my propel drive has a flat section that would probably push any floaters down far enough that they'd go away once you start moving but I a mirage drive would just get smeared with poo poo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Just bought another 50W, gonna put a poo poo ton of 80lb braid on this one and use it off the beach, paddling big baits out in the yak or floating them out under a balloon for sharks

It'll do for a second heavy trolling setup too

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Just bought another 50W, gonna put a poo poo ton of 80lb braid on this one and use it off the beach, paddling big baits out in the yak or floating them out under a balloon for sharks

It'll do for a second heavy trolling setup too

What's your go-to rig for beach casting?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

What's your go-to rig for beach casting?

Depends, I've got a number of beach setups for different species. For smaller fish like whiting and flathead one more sheltered beaches I'll use a 10'6" Shimano Catana Nano XG paired with a Penn Slammer 260, casting 2 hook paternoster rig and a 1.5oz star sinker. I can get that about 60m out. For landbased gummy shark and snapper fishing I have a couple of 12' medium surf rods paired with larger reels (Penn Slammer 760 and a Fin Nor Ahab 16 at the moment), casting pulley rigs and 4oz breakaway sinkers. Those cast a fair distance but using bigger baits reduces that. My heavy surf setups are a couple of 14' Kingfisher Poseidon Gold Class rods, one is paired with a Penn Squall 15 the other a Fin Nor Lethal LTC 30. Both have a 15kg mono topshot over 30lb braid backing. The Lethal has about 700-800m of braid backing so I can target some pretty large fish with that. I use those two for slide baiting where I cast out a 6oz breakaway sinker and then slide a big bait like a fish head or a whole squid down the line using a special gadget that clips onto the line: http://www.bustedfishing.com/news/slide-baiting
I've only got swell sharks while bait sliding so far but a friend of mine hauled in a 90kg-ish seven gill shark at a popular surf beach nearby and any weekend where it's took windy to get the kayak out I'll be giving it a go. My slide baiting rig consists of about 40cm of 100lb wire trace and a couple of meters of 200lb mono clipped onto the slider.

For ballooning or paddling baits out off the beach I've got a Penn Squall 50VSW spooled with about 1km of 50lb mono and a 200lb wind on leader. The reel I bought last night is also a Squall 50VSW but I'll get about 2km of that 80lb braid on it. For both methods the rig is 3m of wire rope and a 12/0 circle hook; for ballooning I'll attach a balloon using a rubber band tied to the swivel and let the wind or tide take the balloon and bait out. For paddling baits I tie on end of 3m length of 20lb mono to a brick, the other end to the circle hook, and then tie a balloon onto the mainline so that the bait is suspended mid water between the brick on the bottom and the balloon on the surface. I've hooked up twice when paddling baits, the first time was probably a stingray, the second time I was on the kayak coming back to shore when one of the rods went off. My friend who was minding the rods didn't know about circle hooks and struck as hard as he could manage to try and set the hook but of course this just pulled the hook out of the sharks mouth and we didn't get a touch for the rest of the day. Sharks will be getting more and more common as the weather warms up so I'm pretty confident I'll land at least one decent bronzie with summer.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This is so cool to learn about. You're in Florida, right? I'm extremely jealous of your options.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Is it hard to cast those big rear end rods? I feel like it'd be clumsy with all that length.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've not cast a spinning rod that length, but I've cast keiryu/honryu fixed-line rods as long as 8.5 meters (so about 28 feet), and it works fine. It's weird getting used to it, but once you get a feel for it, you use very little effort to load a preposterously long spring.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have a little 9' surf rod and even it is a blast to cast with. I will sometimes just get a little lit and go in the yard and cast into the field behind the house. It is amazing how far I can launch a 2oz sinker. It does really strain/hurt my line-finger. I have iirc 80lb braid on my surf reel and it is really abrasive after a day of casting. I have only gotten to surf-fish once and by the second day my finger was so raw that I switched to bait on my surf rod and took my heaviest casting rod, waded out to my tits, and used it to throw lures for the rest of the trip.

I will also say that throwing 2-3oz bass lures on a XH casting rod is pretty fatiguing after a few hours. In addition to the general weight of the lures and tackle you are casting, I find that my thumb gets really tired from trying to hold the spool still during the cast. Most all of my reels are designed to be run with the spool tension backed off to the point of slight side-to-side spool play, which makes it worse as the thumb is doing all the work.

I have taken to bringing a finesse combo along whenever I go fish the heavier stuff. Switching to an UL right after is crazy fun, it make me feel like a giant.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is so cool to learn about. You're in Florida, right? I'm extremely jealous of your options.

I think he's in New Zealand

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

:australia:

joem83 posted:

Is it hard to cast those big rear end rods? I feel like it'd be clumsy with all that length.

Nah not really. It's not so much of a quick flick you do with lighter rods as a slower heave to give the rod time to load up under the weight of the sinker. It's that loading up of the rod that gives you the distance on the cast, it unloads like a spring and transfers the momentum to the sinker. It's not as accurate as a smaller rod but accuracy isn't really an issue, there's usually plenty of space to spread out on the beach so casting over lines doesn't happen too often.

The extra length is important in heavy surf conditions because it holds the line high above the shore break, which helps keep it tight and stops it getting rolled around in the weed.

LingcodKilla posted:

I think he's in New Zealand

rude

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

:australia:

Nah not really. It's not so much of a quick flick you do with lighter rods as a slower heave to give the rod time to load up under the weight of the sinker. It's that loading up of the rod that gives you the distance on the cast, it unloads like a spring and transfers the momentum to the sinker. It's not as accurate as a smaller rod but accuracy isn't really an issue, there's usually plenty of space to spread out on the beach so casting over lines doesn't happen too often.

The extra length is important in heavy surf conditions because it holds the line high above the shore break, which helps keep it tight and stops it getting rolled around in the weed.

rude

I was trying to protect you from stingrays.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Caught my first four footer at the river today.

Got nothing except small perch and round gobys today when tossing out worms.

So left a buffet of gobys for my dock gull buddy.

Haven't caught anything good in a few days. Quite a few skunked outings for walleye from shore lately.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Use a whole goby for bait?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Use a whole goby for bait?

Illegal to return them to the water as an invasive species, in Ontario.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Thread contribution: re: long surf rods, you guys ever see those crazy rear end pendulum casts that surf fishermen do?

Privileged white guy bitching: I have had a left hand retrieve Curado K on pre-order from Tackle Warehouse since the beginning of July. Man, I want that reel.

My current heavy power rod is a 1/2-1 oz rod, and it sucks for casting lighter lures. Gonna try to shop one out that can cast lighter stuff too, to go with my Curado. It's an 8:5:1, so it'll be a frog reel mostly, but I'd love to be able to use it for almost anything because I can't afford to have 3 nice setups with my cheapskate budget for fun times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Thread contribution: re: long surf rods, you guys ever see those crazy rear end pendulum casts that surf fishermen do?

Privileged white guy bitching: I have had a left hand retrieve Curado K on pre-order from Tackle Warehouse since the beginning of July. Man, I want that reel.

My current heavy power rod is a 1/2-1 oz rod, and it sucks for casting lighter lures. Gonna try to shop one out that can cast lighter stuff too, to go with my Curado. It's an 8:5:1, so it'll be a frog reel mostly, but I'd love to be able to use it for almost anything because I can't afford to have 3 nice setups with my cheapskate budget for fun times.

People have been posting reviews of the lefty Curado K reels, so they must be trickling out.

Also how low are you looking to go with this rod? Take a look at some reviews of the IRod "Fred's Magic Stick". I have one I want to sell as I want to replace it with a a heavier, more swimbait focused XH rod.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I was trying to protect you from stingrays.

They need protecting from me

That little fucker is about to get the Jamie Oliver treatment: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/white-pepper-skate/

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My folks have a ~ year old farm pond in their new house stocked with bass and gills and I can't wait to cast some flies on it next spring.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

My folks have a ~ year old farm pond in their new house stocked with bass and gills and I can't wait to cast some flies on it next spring.

If you catch something over 2 lbs just eat it

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They need protecting from me

That little fucker is about to get the Jamie Oliver treatment: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/white-pepper-skate/

Reporting back to say he was loving delicious

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Reporting back to say he was loving delicious

I'm keeping this one for later. Awesome.

My squid jigs should arrive this week, and hopefully I will be finished moving and actually be able to use them. LCK, how strong of a spotlight do you need? We have a handheld rechargeable one at work that I could borrow, but if you need something that requires like a car battery I will need to do some digging.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Just got the email saying my little pond got 400 trout dumped into it this morning, my swimbait combo is in my car, and I am leaving work in 8 min.

The excitement is tempered by my 5:0 ratio of hooked to landed bass with my bluegill swimbait, but I am gonna take a razor to the trout one and see if that helps with hookups.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Just got the email saying my little pond got 400 trout dumped into it this morning, my swimbait combo is in my car, and I am leaving work in 8 min.

The excitement is tempered by my 5:0 ratio of hooked to landed bass with my bluegill swimbait, but I am gonna take a razor to the trout one and see if that helps with hookups.

:justpost: :coolfish:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Nicce. My local little lake/big pond is having the fall trout stock on Wednesday, and will be completely fished out by Friday. Hopefully I can bag my limit each day

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Total bust. Fished for about 2 1/2 hours and while I had a couple smaller bass follow my swim bait back in, no one was willing to commit. I ddi have a couple really nice rainbows follow it back in to but I don't think their mouth's are even big enough to get around the hook.

I did amuse the hell out of a couple of the old men there fishing for trout, they i've never seen a Huddelston-like swimbait before.

I am going to go tomorrow after work if my dinner plans fall through, I'm also going to bring my little ultralight bait casting combo so the trout guys will really think I'm a weirdo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm keeping this one for later. Awesome.

My squid jigs should arrive this week, and hopefully I will be finished moving and actually be able to use them. LCK, how strong of a spotlight do you need? We have a handheld rechargeable one at work that I could borrow, but if you need something that requires like a car battery I will need to do some digging.

I use a standard flood light from the hardware store. I saw a battery powered setup today but it was pretty hokey.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Tell me more about this ultra light baitcaster.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Went to the north Skyway pier this morning. Caught a bunch of greenbacks (am I weird that I like fishing for tiny baitfish? It's easy with a sabiki rig but it's like instant fish when there's a school around) but I couldn't get any of the huge spanish mackerels to bite on anything. Saw a guy about 30 yards away reel in a gag grouper that was probably close to the max size for harvest, didn't see anybody else catch anything.

Went home, loaded up a kayak, bought a dozen shrimp and went out to some nearby mangroves before it started to rain. I caught (and released):

The biggest pinfish I've ever seen. It was almost 11 inches long, I didn't know they grew that big.

A personal best for Jack Crevalle! I measured it as around 16 inches at the fork. My pinky is at the 1 inch line in the picture. Put up a great fight, I thought it was a catfish at first until it went on a couple runs and towed my kayak around a bit. Lots of fun!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I only ever catch huge pin fish like that. When someone told me they were bait fish I couldn’t understand how.

Nice Jack though. Still haven’t landed one in my 3 years since I started fishing again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Tell me more about this ultra light baitcaster.

Im on my phone so an effortpost will have to wait. Basically, there is a style of fishing/tackle called Bait Finesse System or BFS. It is a Japanese thing that started coming over here maybe 5-10 years ago. It involves taking special casting reels designed (and back then, heavily modded) to throw small lures and pairing them with L and UL power casting rods. The idea being to get the greater accuracy of casting gear married to a spinning reel's low weight casting ability.

These days it is way more accessible, a result of it becoming more popular, casting reel tech getting better, and the Yen being weak. Right now you can find a used BFS reel on ebay for like $100-140, add like $50-70 more in aftermarket parts, slap it on a $50 UL trout rod from Aliexpress, and throw 1/16oz spinners to your hearts content. Well, i can throw 1/8oz ones on mine, my thumb isnt up for 1/16oz yet.

I got deep into BFS stuff and have two bass combos and one trout one with an eye to "just one more", to be a dedicated saltwater combo. It is fun as poo poo if you like fussing with stuff.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

Im on my phone so an effortpost will have to wait. Basically, there is a style of fishing/tackle called Bait Finesse System or BFS. It is a Japanese thing that started coming over here maybe 5-10 years ago. It involves taking special casting reels designed (and back then, heavily modded) to throw small lures and pairing them with L and UL power casting rods. The idea being to get the greater accuracy of casting gear married to a spinning reel's low weight casting ability.

These days it is way more accessible, a result of it becoming more popular, casting reel tech getting better, and the Yen being weak. Right now you can find a used BFS reel on ebay for like $100-140, add like $50-70 more in aftermarket parts, slap it on a $50 UL trout rod from Aliexpress, and throw 1/16oz spinners to your hearts content. Well, i can throw 1/8oz ones on mine, my thumb isnt up for 1/16oz yet.

I got deep into BFS stuff and have two bass combos and one trout one with an eye to "just one more", to be a dedicated saltwater combo. It is fun as poo poo if you like fussing with stuff.

Chris Stewart, aka Tenkara Bum, now has a Japanese Domestic Market online shop selling super badass ultra light and ultra ultra light BFS/caster/spinning reel setups. I got my dad a Daisha Iprimi setup for his birthday, but he's not fished with it yet. https://www.finesse-fishing.com

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

There are good rods and bad rods on AliExpress; I have bought both types. AE seems to be better for casting rods than spinning rods, but I did get a very decent spinning rod for salmon for less than $30.

I buy a lot of tackle and lures on AliExpress and international sellers on eBay. It's awesome to pay $1 for a lure instead of $6, but it's always good to pay attention to the measurements of the items themselves. The numbering system for hooks and swivels and poo poo has absolutely no international standard. It's totally worth it as long as you don't need the item within a month or ordering it, and it's fun to find a bunch of little packages from overseas in your mailbox.

And speaking of ultralight rods, I picked up a Shakespeare Micro ultralight rod on Amazon for like $20. It's what I've been using for my Ned rig setup and I've been really happy with it so far. It's a really good option if you're trying to get your ultralight feet wet without spending a lot, and it would be a good loaner rod if you find a nicer one to replace it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Chris Stewart, aka Tenkara Bum, now has a Japanese Domestic Market online shop selling super badass ultra light and ultra ultra light BFS/caster/spinning reel setups. I got my dad a Daisha Iprimi setup for his birthday, but he's not fished with it yet. https://www.finesse-fishing.com

Yea, his stuff a good demonstration of how deep the finesse rabbit hole
goes. I would love a fancy UL trout rod but man them tips are so thin.

His rods are mostly/all trout rods though, so they will be softer and weaker then a bass rod with a similar rating. There are a bunch of different sub-categories of trout rods too, I am just going to call him up once I decide to buy as I am still not super up to speed on the trout BFS gear.

For anyone who wants to dip their toe into BFS, there is an Aliexpress seller called "Kuying" who sells a line of L/UL trout-ish rods in a line called Teton. I have one of the UL ones and it is insane how nice it is for $50. They have been getting more and more attention so I expect the price to creep up. There is also a huge range of BFS spools sold on ebay/aliexpress under the Ray's Studio/DIY names. They make them for a huge range of reels and are about $50-60. So for around $100 one can see if they are into it enough to start looking at a dedicated reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

And if you need dick-shaped spoon lure, here you go!