Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The score is 35-0 Georgia at halftime. The Gators come out for the second half, but the coaching staff is nowhere to be found. Suddenly, the sound of breaking glass over the loudspeakers and Jim Ross explains "BAH GAWD, THAT'S STEVE SPURRIER'S MUSIC!". Out walks the Ol' Ball Coach, carrying the heads of McElwain and Nussmeier.

I love SOS but I certainly don't want to see an orange and blue iteration of the 2015 Gamecocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i still get loving mad that despite not being able to drive for like 6 months it still took another head injury before an adult finally stepped in and said enough

For all Charlie Strong's talk about "doing things the right way" too.

And then (this is much less important of course), they acted like it was the biggest shock ever and were like, "Oh gently caress I guess we'll go with Tyrone Swoopes? Gee, he hasn't had much time to prep though, so don't blame us that this whole season is a bust."

It bothers me because I only know they're loving these kids up because they're QBs and highly visible. I don't think I want to know how often this is happening with the other players.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The score is 35-0 Georgia at halftime. The Gators come out for the second half, but the coaching staff is nowhere to be found. Suddenly, the sound of breaking glass over the loudspeakers and Jim Ross explains "BAH GAWD, THAT'S STEVE SPURRIER'S MUSIC!". Out walks the Ol' Ball Coach, carrying the heads of McElwain and Nussmeier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH0r-XqeL7g

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 23, 2017

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

quote:

How much worse could the third-string center be than Shackelford? Maybe he's some hungry freshman who'll surprise us.

Nope it's Jake McMillon, the former DT who got converted to RG last year, and whom I believe missed the last game due to a hand injury. So that's a good sign.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Nope it's Jake McMillon, the former DT who got converted to RG last year, and whom I believe missed the last game due to a hand injury. So that's a good sign.

Oh yeah, wasn't that dude a practice squad DT at that?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Admittedly Iowa was one of the worst P5 teams from 98-00 but still, have some pride, Bob Bowlsby. It's amazing that guy gets to run a whole conference.

That was Roethlisberger Miami so they were good too. The next year we whomped them and picked Ben off 3 or 4 times, and it was the last time he lost a football game until the AFC title game the next season

Oh poo poo that's right. I thought Roethlisberger was there later.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo that's right. I thought Roethlisberger was there later.

And before he sexually assaulted a woman at a bar in Milledgeville GA. :thumbsup:

Our little baby all growns up

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

"Butch is gettin' upset!"

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/J_McPherson1126/status/922502994062700544
https://twitter.com/J_McPherson1126/status/922502411163439111
https://twitter.com/J_McPherson1126/status/922502123685928965

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

McElwain teams are disciplined teams.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

You'd think they'd learn after the whole "ducks pulling trucks" thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

college players talking poo poo owns, what are you all on about

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Duckaerobics posted:

What's your opinion of Lashlee? It seems like Uconn's offense has been ok, but I haven't really watched a lot of them.

I really like him. He's the first guy that I've seen actually commit to what looks like a real spread offensive system without it looking like s desperate hodgepodge that we got under Pasqualoni or Diaco. Bad news is, a lot of our good players are upper class men, so he and Edsall have their hands full next year.

As long as Mizzou runs it up the gut and does well on short passes, they should be able to make it past or 3-3-5 defense, though. It's not quite heavy enough up front, really missing some key d-line pieces to make it work.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 23, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I’m just glad Iowa won’t get into a bowl game we can’t posssibly win

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

There is absolutely nothing untrue in those Florida player tweets.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Listening to Tom Herman's presser and his answer about the injury was, and paraphrasing, "he passed the tests, during the game and the week and during the game again. But something came up after the game. Also, coaches aren't really involved in that decision making/process."

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Anyone have a breakdown of Fromm's passes? I noticed they're barely asking him to throw each week so I'm curious if his early success comes from easy or cheap passes. Everyone must load up the box against UGA anyway (usually to no avail) so that's a huge plus for a freshman.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Democrazy posted:

As long as Mizzou runs it up the gut and does well on short passes, they should be able to make it past or 3-3-5 defense, though. It's not quite heavy enough up front, really missing some key d-line pieces to make it work.

Mizzou can theoretically run the ball (and the freshman Rountree actually looks pretty good), but Demarea Crockett who should be their best back is out with a shoulder and probably won't be back for UConn. Short passing is not really their thing. I mean they do it, but not successfully most of the time since Drew Lock is not particularly accurate.

Missouri's offense--when working--is all about big plays. I believe they lead the nation now in plays over 50 yards. So I guess you can look at their record and figure out how well everything else works when the big plays aren't happening. Like, that's how you get completely and totally shut down by Purdue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Super Fan posted:

I’m just glad Iowa won’t get into a bowl game we can’t posssibly win

lol if you don't think they can lose an awful 10-5 game to Duke in the dumb pinstripe bowl

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 24, 2017

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Grittybeard posted:

I, who hates Kansas as much as anyone, will wholeheartedly root for you against Baylor.

Thanks, but I think we both know how this ends.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Grittybeard posted:

Mizzou can theoretically run the ball (and the freshman Rountree actually looks pretty good), but Demarea Crockett who should be their best back is out with a shoulder and probably won't be back for UConn. Short passing is not really their thing. I mean they do it, but not successfully most of the time since Drew Lock is not particularly accurate.

Missouri's offense--when working--is all about big plays. I believe they lead the nation now in plays over 50 yards. So I guess you can look at their record and figure out how well everything else works when the big plays aren't happening. Like, that's how you get completely and totally shut down by Purdue.

Honestly, my one hope for that game is that the Huskies just have to face some Mauk-like offense where they can do well just by making sure nothing gets behind them, and that their quarterback, Bryant Shirreffs, is consistent enough passing to give the running game some chance to breathe. He's a good quarterback when he's on, but he's used to playing for bad teams that he needs to bail out. When he doesn't try to make too much happen, he's okay.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well I guess this is one way to get rid of him
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/922543758054428673

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

MourningView posted:

lol if you don't think they can't lose an awful 10-5 game to Duke in the dumb pinstripe bowl

I'm down with this just to hear Iowan's complaining about their cold weather bowl even though NYC is a better overall vacation than 95% of the other bowl cities. When I went in 2011 it was warmer than Dallas that day.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Anyone have a breakdown of Fromm's passes? I noticed they're barely asking him to throw each week so I'm curious if his early success comes from easy or cheap passes. Everyone must load up the box against UGA anyway (usually to no avail) so that's a huge plus for a freshman.

Here's Fromm against a good team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmsx3PKycr4

And against a bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpoHy5GZg_E (he actually played kinda lowkey poorly in this game)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think Nuss (and potentially Mac) are bad coaches, but I'll never understand making death threats.

:psyduck:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Are You A Bad Enough Dude To Die For Florida Football?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

resident posted:

I'm down with this just to hear Iowan's complaining about their cold weather bowl even though NYC is a better overall vacation than 95% of the other bowl cities. When I went in 2011 it was warmer than Dallas that day.

The one time I went to Phoenix for the insight they had a goddamn blizzard and I felt so ripped off

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think Mac was lying about the death threats

https://twitter.com/andy_staples/status/922606999946145794

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ehud posted:

People send the creators of cartoons death threats so sending them to football coaches wouldn't be shocking.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fluffdaddy posted:

People send the creators of cartoons death threats so sending them to football coaches wouldn't be shocking.

It wouldn't be surprising, but I feel like one of two things is happening:

Mac isn't providing details to people who might be able to help find who is threatening his staff.

Mac made it up.

Like...you can't just say people are sending death threats and then provide absolutely zero detail.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I dunno not everyone reacts to threats of violence the same way so it's probably good to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ehud posted:

I bet he wasn't

**Knocks on door**
McElwain: Who is it?
Voice: Mister...McElwainsberg?
McElwain: Who? Who is it?
Voice: .....flowers?
McElwain: Flowers for who?
Voice: .....Caaaandygram

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Yeah he may be upset about it but also not want to have to spend the rest of his week on a police follow up that does nothing and best case scenario ruins an idiot fan's life

Also snitching is bad for crootin

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I dunno not everyone reacts to threats of violence the same way so it's probably good to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one

listen to me

I want the man fired ok

if the threats aren't real it means no one is in danger and also I get a new coach

Let me have this

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

lol if you don't think they can't lose an awful 10-5 game to Duke in the dumb pinstripe bowl

Insha'allah

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

Thanks, but I think we both know how this ends.

On that day, we will all be Jayhawks.

But only for football, not other sports.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The McElwain death threats are just a false flag by the Enemies of Florida Gator Athletics.

Subscribe.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 24, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Could the death threats have just been a distraction from McElwain loving sharks?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

He is perfectly servicable and can put the ball where it needs to be. He might not have the biggest arm (Eason, by far, has the biggest arm on the team), but he can throw da bomb when he needs to, including a 45ish yard pass to open up the Mississippi State game. We just haven't really had to rely on only a passing game because eventually one of our eleventy 5 star tailbacks shakes something loose in the run game. But here are some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT9kV3LdlI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lNIJFdio2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKykfj_-S3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2njjEcyy0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zGLDm8J-XQ

So I think those, plus D.N. Nation's gets you through the whole season. My take is that he is a freshman that makes some freshman mistakes, but he never seems to get rattled and he makes a decision. Not always the best ones, but one thing from Eason last year, since we can't really compare too much this year, is Eason would get hung up looking for the big play at times and it wouldn't end well. Fromm really reminds me a lot of Aaron Murray, if that means anything to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's 2017; who doesn't receive death threats on the reg these days?

• Locked thread