Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I broke down and made a Big Reactor in my MSB2 playthrough. Sort of unimaginative, but it works.

I really wanted to play with the new thermal expansion power stuff, but in MSB2 it's gated behind bees, which I just cracked. I'm not sure if a full-bore tree extractor -> steam -> turbine -> etc chain will be better than my throwaway reactor, but I can give it a go and see!

Highly recommend powering through calculator and getting the flawless calculator. 4 gold -> diamond, diamond saplings for nearly free fire diamonds, and so on. Very convenient!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The singularity for that (atomic binder for the flawless calculator) is a giant pain in the rear end if you otherwise have no intention of using AE2. That's what bugs the poo poo out of me about trying to push for it. That's pretty deep to have to dig into a mod that you have no intention of using for its primary purpose.

It's eventually mandatory for progression. You need flawless diamonds for diamatine.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 23, 2017

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Oh hey, I was afflicted with a masochistic desire to make a building out of porcelain bricks. Is there a way to automate clay in MSB2 or should I just stick with seared brick?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Several? None very early on, though. Earliest I can think of is the one flower from Botania that converts nearby sand blocks to clay.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You can get the Rod of the Lands pretty early on into Botania, which gives infinite dirt, which can get you all the clay you'll need, but you can't automate "watering" the dirt into clay until a way further down the line.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah the watering is the slow and awful part.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

taiyoko posted:

You need to put down a builder's hut, assign a person, build the hut, then you can build the town hall from it's gui. (Right click on the block to access it.)

Also, your building tiers are dependent on the tier your builder's hut is at, and you need to house your first 4 colonists before any more will start showing up.

Waaaa, the quest book told me to drop the townhall first, then people will arrive and then build.

I have the under construction crap up for the town hall, but hitting f3 i get "you are 5 blocks from town centre' but i have never found the block.

I also have the builders hut. It has a desk. And construction tape....

Didi i screw up massively? Should i just restart? (im only half a day in, though i do have a few seeds at 10/10/10.............)

(This is simple life mod pack btw)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Did you put down the town hall such that it's partially under the ground surface? If so, you'll need to dig out around the town hall block (should be somewhere towards the center of the construction tape area) so that your first four colonists spawn. After that, right click the desk for the builder's hut and assign someone, if it didn't do it automatically. Then begin construction on the builder's hut, giving them the stuff they ask for (if the request is a grass block, it really means dirt). Once the builder's hut is finished, you can right click the town hall block to tell your builder to start that. Hell, gimme a few minutes and I'll get my computer on and add some screenshots.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

taiyoko posted:

Did you put down the town hall such that it's partially under the ground surface? If so, you'll need to dig out around the town hall block (should be somewhere towards the center of the construction tape area) so that your first four colonists spawn. After that, right click the desk for the builder's hut and assign someone, if it didn't do it automatically. Then begin construction on the builder's hut, giving them the stuff they ask for (if the request is a grass block, it really means dirt). Once the builder's hut is finished, you can right click the town hall block to tell your builder to start that. Hell, gimme a few minutes and I'll get my computer on and add some screenshots.

Umm, yeah, its in a loving mountain >< i thought it would auto terraform.....

Let me get my hammer and excavator

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It'll do some auto-terraforming, but it's gotta have a certain amount of space around the central town hall block for the citizens to spawn. Trust me, I know that pain, after digging into a desert hill for my sandstone colony.

Here's those screenshots I mentioned: https://imgur.com/a/6EyMz

This was a lot of terraforming. :smithicide:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

augh the recipe for the zetta industries' big battery changed to include tungstensteel

but i got mine before the recipe change :chord:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Stealth nerfs FTW

That was probably deserved, though. They're kinda ridiculous.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Vib Rib posted:

Unrelated to all this, I've been thinking of possible theme/gimmick-based modpacks. Lately, especially, I've wondered about the possibility of a Mystcraft-based modpack. So I'm just sort of thinking out loud here, having not put together a pack in ages.

I once played a pack with Mystcraft with a friend. We ended up taking a portal with no return book, and were stuck leaping through successive worlds, making outposts along the way to maintain materials for survival, taking shelter against hostile worlds with scorching suns or numerous monsters, until we finally found a world rift we could jump through that took us home. It was haphazard and daunting but also a remarkable and fun adventure and I think back on it fondly now. The idea of a pack built around something like that strikes my fancy.
In my mind the pack is built around some basic QoL mods, maybe a central magic one (I'd say Ars Magica, if it wasn't a few versions behind), maybe a basic tech mod or two for convenience -- but primarily, MCDungeon and Mystcraft. The books would be uncraftable normally, and the idea is basically you'd basically have to settle a new dimension, build up to the point you could run a dungeon there, and the final treasure reward would be a new book to a new world. Or maybe just whatever the creation component is, and the other loot chests would have things like attribute pages, so you can gradually expand the book and bring in more options. With Ars Magica the option would be there to find premade spells as treasures and add them to your spellbook.
Alternately, I'd love to see a Skyblock-style modpack where instead of Ex Nihilo or Sky Resources, you're given a few Mystcraft components. You still make the skyworld your home base/teleporter hub, but you can make other dimensions to jump to that gradually expand the materials you can recover. If you still want to go with the dungeons angle you could stock them with certain milestone materials you can't get otherwise -- imagine say, finding a chest in MSB2 with a few empowered crystals. The idea of a "homeworld" dimension really appeals to me as an alternative to the more fully-nomadic style.

Toying with the idea now, maybe Compact Machines would be worth including -- something you could take from world to world. So you could take your smeltery or your storage or whatever with you when you traveled, instead of having to rebuild a base every time. Again it more or less comes down to the "homeworld" idea.

There was an old modpack sort of based on Compact Machines, wasn't there? Obscurity, I think. I'd love to dig into a gimmick pack like that again, if only it weren't so outdated at this point. Going back to older versions is kind of obnoxious now, I feel. From 1.12 to 1.10 is no big deal but going back to 1.7.10 has enough setbacks to be difficult.

I would play the hell out of this.

Thank you thread once again for the Cloche recommendation. Now I might complete Sky Factory 3 in a reasonable amount of time.

Also before I get to far into it for a Maximum Size Extreme reactor does the alternating Diamond block and fuel rods work for decent cooling or should I be doing something else? I can't find any video that I can stand for long enough to get the answer and I'm told there are enough changes from Big Reactors that the old simulators won't work.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Also before I get to far into it for a Maximum Size Extreme reactor does the alternating Diamond block and fuel rods work for decent cooling or should I be doing something else? I can't find any video that I can stand for long enough to get the answer and I'm told there are enough changes from Big Reactors that the old simulators won't work.

Is that a pack with Thermal Expansion in it? If so, then you want to use gelid cryotheum everywhere. If you want to get super optimal, do something like this with the fuel rod design in the center and four layers out from it with 3 layers of gelid cryotheum and one layer of liquid ender.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is that a pack with Thermal Expansion in it? If so, then you want to use gelid cryotheum everywhere. If you want to get super optimal, do something like this with the fuel rod design in the center and four layers out from it with 3 layers of gelid cryotheum and one layer of liquid ender.

Nope it's Sky Factory 3 and for some reason TE isn't in there and it makes me sad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I would play the hell out of this.

Thank you thread once again for the Cloche recommendation. Now I might complete Sky Factory 3 in a reasonable amount of time.

Diamond Blocks are good enough. You can go nutty with the liquid cooling, but its too much of a pain in the rear end to bother with. Especially if you are making a "Max Size" reactor. It's going to pump out more power than you will ever need regardless of what you cool it with.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Diamond Blocks are good enough. You can go nutty with the liquid cooling, but its too much of a pain in the rear end to bother with. Especially if you are making a "Max Size" reactor. It's going to pump out more power than you will ever need regardless of what you cool it with.

Yeah that's I thought...jeez that's gonna be a lot of diamond blocks. I also need to get Active Cooling figured out at some point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

augh the recipe for the zetta industries' big battery changed to include tungstensteel

but i got mine before the recipe change :chord:
Is storing energy really something that needs to be that heavily regulated? You still have to produce and use it in the first place, right?
Then again I guess a lot of packs make a huge deal about storing items so this isn't that surprising.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

Is storing energy really something that needs to be that heavily regulated? You still have to produce and use it in the first place, right?
Then again I guess a lot of packs make a huge deal about storing items so this isn't that surprising.

You have to have something to do, otherwise whats the point of even playing? If not the best mod would be Worldedit.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
So I updated MSB2 and now my FTB Guide book doesn't have the Modern Skyblock link to see what I'm supposed to be doing? Did I do a goof?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Leafy Wall posted:

So I updated MSB2 and now my FTB Guide book doesn't have the Modern Skyblock link to see what I'm supposed to be doing? Did I do a goof?

It was deliberately removed, because the quest book is now "complete."

Only problem is, all the quest triggers are "crafting tasks," which means you can't just pick up stuff you've already made before there was a quest book to advance the quest line -- for most stuff, you've got to craft all new things. :argh:

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
So they just removed the most useful information and tips from the modpack? I don't get these modders sometimes. :psyduck:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Leafy Wall posted:

So they just removed the most useful information and tips from the modpack? I don't get these modders sometimes. :psyduck:

Modpack compilers, not modders. :v:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Not only was there information in the guide that the quest book doesn't have, but frankly, the quest book will pull you in a zillion directions at once by the time you get to midgame and just following the book will probably have you making a bunch of stuff you won't even have a use for for who knows how long. It was a terrible call on about a hundred levels. This was not a great designed quest book, either. I liked the old guide that made it easy to look at the big picture a lot more.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, the new quest book just packs in a zillion different things in a grid with no clear progression. Some quests even depend on quests from other sections, and there's no way to tell where to find the prerequisite quests.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
"make everything" questbooks are lazy garbage. I've quit several modpacks because the quests were all like that. That's not progression, that's busywork!

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
That modpack guide gave legit good tips, too. I never would've figured out that you could use cobblestone to make more seared brick instead of having to grind up all the stuff for grout. I assume he's also deadset against ever uploading it/adding it back since he has that bee mod included.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Toadsmash posted:

Not only was there information in the guide that the quest book doesn't have, but frankly, the quest book will pull you in a zillion directions at once by the time you get to midgame and just following the book will probably have you making a bunch of stuff you won't even have a use for for who knows how long. It was a terrible call on about a hundred levels. This was not a great designed quest book, either. I liked the old guide that made it easy to look at the big picture a lot more.
Yeah, even if the questbook is complete on precise, granular tasks, the guidebook was huge in figuring out overall direction and useful tips. I don't understand why it'd have to be removed.

Rutibex posted:

You have to have something to do, otherwise whats the point of even playing? If not the best mod would be Worldedit.
Of course Rutibex is the one to chime in with the good old "anything not full gregtech is creative mode" shtick.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Leafy Wall posted:

That modpack guide gave legit good tips, too. I never would've figured out that you could use cobblestone to make more seared brick instead of having to grind up all the stuff for grout. I assume he's also deadset against ever uploading it/adding it back since he has that bee mod included.

He's patched the game twice since he removed it and listened to at least half a dozen people complaining about it in that time period. Guy is excruciatingly stubborn.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

McFrugal posted:

"make everything" questbooks are lazy garbage. I've quit several modpacks because the quests were all like that. That's not progression, that's busywork!

Well, and the pack has a legit progression path, too. The quest book is just spammy and awful and useless for guiding you through that progression compared to the much simpler FTB guide that he ALREADY COMPLETED and then deleted from the pack and refused to add back despite repeated complaints because he'd rather people use his bad quest book instead of, god forbid, giving people choices.

Can you tell I'm just a little bitter?

I really need to give up on this pack and go back to Divine Journey. I just hate wasting all the effort I've invested in it already. This isn't the first issue he's gotten repeated negative feedback on and refused to address or rectify at all. Don't even get me started on the problems with the extended crafting endgame.

(Also, the rewards for completing the quests are loot boxes from which you will very quickly start seeing repeat rewards, and not especially useful ones)

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 23, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Toadsmash posted:

(Also, the rewards for completing the quests are loot boxes from which you will very quickly start seeing repeat rewards, and not especially useful ones)
I'm trying to think of a single useful thing I've gotten from them. Do menril torches do anything useful? Because otherwise, no, basically nothing.
Magnum torches? Wait, those just interfere with my mob spawner.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
I've gotten two ME Controllers - that sounds pretty useful? And so many useless doll hats that I've started chucking them into the void whence they came from.

edit: At least it's not those loving goddamn chance cubes that you open and spews out 6 cluster bombs to destroy your everything.

Leafy Wall fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 23, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah, I don't have a huge beef with the quest rewards. He's had an open call for suggestions on loot box rewards that won't break the pack's progression. I've just been frustrated.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Loot boxes that don't break progression are useless. If you don't know what tier the player is then you can only give them items that they could make/mine at tier 1. In most modpacks, that means wood, cobble, maybe iron.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Cosmetics. Cosmetics for everyone! And poo poo that explodes in your face

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Toadsmash posted:

Well, and the pack has a legit progression path, too. The quest book is just spammy and awful and useless for guiding you through that progression compared to the much simpler FTB guide that he ALREADY COMPLETED and then deleted from the pack and refused to add back despite repeated complaints because he'd rather people use his bad quest book instead of, god forbid, giving people choices.

Can you tell I'm just a little bitter?

I really need to give up on this pack and go back to Divine Journey. I just hate wasting all the effort I've invested in it already. This isn't the first issue he's gotten repeated negative feedback on and refused to address or rectify at all. Don't even get me started on the problems with the extended crafting endgame.

Sounds like you should revert to a previous patch. Or heck maybe you could put the guidebook back in! I'm sure it's just a json or something.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
in forever stranded how am I supposed to get past the first night when there are 50 zombies with hats and witches waiting outside my door?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

in forever stranded how am I supposed to get past the first night when there are 50 zombies with hats and witches waiting outside my door?

Hide in the ship. Cut a hole in the side and hit ankles while you wait. There's a little patch of "lava" in the back room with the copper chest that is actually water, which you can use to cool down.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Rush making a bed. You have Ex Nihilo, so make a crook as soon as possible to get a silkworm. You should be able to infest a tree and get enough string to make the needed wool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Rushing a bed is the correct answer. Chances are you won't be able to kill every mob from inside the ship, so when you go back outside the next morning they can swarm and kill you. If you are diligent about sleeping as soon as you can everyday you can easily get your defenses up before a single mob spawns