Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OxySnake posted:

I honestly cannot believe that the Bears won when their QB threw 7 passes.

That has to almost be a record.

John Fox won a game when Tebow went 2/8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

It looks like it was the 2nd game of 7 pass attempts, and the fewest that still got a W is 6 pass attempts.

https://twitter.com/rodger_sherman/status/922189097187364864

Fun Fact: That QB that threw only 6 passes and still won the game?

Drew Brees.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

John Fox trying his damndest to not play Trubisky, despite him starting.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

guys i think that brett hundley.... might be bad

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Filthy Casual posted:

John Fox trying his damndest to not play Trubisky, despite him starting.

to be fair, the bears have the worst WR corps I've ever seen this team have

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
All I want is for the douchebag at the office to be miserable when Cutler outplays Trubisky, but he's going to be a nightmare tomorrow.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

GeneX posted:

to be fair, the bears have the worst WR corps I've ever seen this team have

Plus the one decent guy (Wright) isn't even on the field half the time.

Of course, they just cut Deonte Thompson and he went off for 100 yards with the Bills.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
sigh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

guys i think that brett hundley.... might be bad

He looked fine in the first half and I'm going to attribute his lack of completions on deeper balls to not yet developing timing/chemistry with his receivers.

The second half was inexplicable. I was busy during it and it seemed like every single time I looked up the Packers were on defense. Not one single sustained drive.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SKULL.GIF posted:

He looked fine in the first half and I'm going to attribute his lack of completions on deeper balls to not yet developing timing/chemistry with his receivers.

The second half was inexplicable. I was busy during it and it seemed like every single time I looked up the Packers were on defense. Not one single sustained drive.

Yeah. If he doesn't improve after the bye and we don't sign Kaep, we're turbofucked.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Yeah. If he doesn't improve after the bye and we don't sign Kaep, we're turbofucked.

Please stop saying this. Kaepernick is not an improvement. It's literally flushing money down the toilet.

I mean, I don't really give a poo poo at this point because it's not my money and the Packers probably aren't making the playoffs at this rate, but why even bother? I'd feel differently if there was even one QB in free agency that would be an actual improvement but... yeah, wish in one hand, poo poo in the other, see which one fills up first.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i mean literally who cares if a football team wastes money, especially on a contract that definitely wont last past the rest of this season

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fenrir posted:

I mean, I don't really give a poo poo at this point because it's not my money and the Packers probably aren't making the playoffs at this rate, but why even bother?

having lived in northeastern wisconsin for many years, it would be extremely funny for the Packers to sign Kaep

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Fenrir posted:

Please stop saying this. Kaepernick is not an improvement. It's literally flushing money down the toilet.

Kaepernick 2016: 59.2% completion 6.8 ypa 4.8 TD% 1.2% INT% 90.7 Rate
Br. Hundley 2017: 52.5% completion 4.1 ypa 1.7 TD% 6.8% INT% 40.5 Rate

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ragle posted:

Number of thumb people in Wisconsin burning Packers jerseys: priceless

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MikeCrotch posted:

Number of dumb people in Wisconsin burning Packers jerseys: priceless

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
i didn't misspell dumb

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MikeCrotch posted:

i didn't misspell dumb

I was empty quoting anyway.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Kaepernick is probably an upgrade over Hundley but if you signed him today when would he be ready to start realistically? 2, 3 weeks?

Unless you want the Josh Freeman 50 passed less than 200 yards experience.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 23, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OxySnake posted:

Kaepernick is probably an upgrade over Hundley but if you signed him today when would he be ready to start realistically? 2, 3 weeks?

He, his representatives and his friends all have been consistent in pointing out that he stays in shape and works out almost daily. Even if he was only brought in as a backup or third stringer, he sounds like he'd be ready to go in case of injury immediately

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My thoughts on the Pack are as follows: where can the Packers win games over the next 8 weeks? Bears, Ravens, Browns?

All of those are beatable by an Aaron Rodgers-less team, they're all also beat up in many ways at key positions or just lacking the depth of talent. Those are all must-win. A win over any of the Lions (also beat up), Buccaneers, or Panthers puts them in playoff contention heading into the Minnesota game on December 23rd at Lambeau - a likely Rodgers return if he does come back this year. In that same time frame Minnesota will face a strong Redskins team, a surging Rams team, Lions, Panthers, and Falcons, and Bengals. Are there 3 losses in there? Possibly, that defense can't win every game for them.

That said, the Vikings are the drivers of this NFC North poo poo-show and it all boils down to the Minnesota defense and whether that offense can do just enough.

[/bargaining]

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 23, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
wrong. Mitch is going to go undefeated from his second start until he enters the hall of fame . the bears control this division

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Boon posted:

My thoughts on the Pack are as follows: where can the Packers win games over the next 8 weeks? Bears, Ravens, Browns?

All of those are beatable by an Aaron Rodgers-less team, they're all beat up in many ways at key positions. Those are all must-win. A win over any of the Lions (also beat up), Buccaneers, or Panthers puts them in playoff contention heading into the Minnesota game on December 23rd at Lambeau - a likely Rodgers return if he does come back this year. In that same time frame Minnesota will face a strong Redskins team, a surging Rams team, Lions, Panthers, and Falcons, and Bengals. Are there 3 losses in there? Probably - that defense can't win every game for them.

That said, the Vikings are the drivers of this NFC North poo poo-show. So it's up to Mario Party once again this year.

Another point is to where do the wildcards go?

NFC West might have one in the Seahawks with the Rams as winners. South is a toss up at this point. East has Eagles as winners, with decent Cowboys and Redskins for the wildcards.
The wins over the Seahawks and Cowboys might become very valuable in the end.
We might also end up at 4-12.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Basically, the Packers chances rely on the defense stepping up.

:lol:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Boon posted:

The Bears just beat the Panthers without even having an offense. You might beat the Browns, though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

mastershakeman posted:

wrong. Mitch is going to go undefeated from his second start until he enters the hall of fame . the bears control this division

agreed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think Packers ?! at home vs the Lions, lose at Chicago, beat the Ravens at home, lose in Pittsburgh, then beat the Bucs at home and Browns on the road.

That puts the Packers at 7-5 with a coinflip against the Lions for either 8-5 or 7-6.

Rodgers had his surgery last week, and the doctors said he could start throwing six weeks from then. That puts him in throwing shape around the time we play the Steelers, and the team will probably ease him back into playing shape over the next two weeks. That puts him, assuming a very generous timetable and assuming the Packers haven't tanked horribly, back into play against the Panthers.

If Rodgers is playing then 2-1 over the final three weeks doesn't seem to be too unreasonable. That puts the Packers at 10-6 or 9-7, and probably just barely squeaking into the playoffs. That's the optimistic scenario here.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Can't wait for every team in the division to go 8-8 and send one team to the playoffs to get knocked out the first round

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Casual posted:

The Bears just beat the Panthers without even having an offense. You might beat the Browns, though.

See, I'm not sure why that is so intimidating. They had two defensive touchdowns of over 70 yards - that's not something to rely on and the Bears put up one of the worst offensive performances of the decade. An offense with fewer total snaps than the opposing team had passing attempts.

E: I did get to watch part of that game - I just don't know how the Panthers can be so awful.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 24, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol if you think that the packers aren't going to tread water until rodgers comes back two weeks ahead of schedule and every NFC north team loses in the exact combination of games for them to make the playoffs again

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ragle posted:

Small sample size. Hundley has started exactly ONE NFL GAME. Kaepernick is not going to be a significant improvement. I don't hate Kaep but it's not worth it to sign him and I'd be utterly shocked if the Packers do so. Either way this season is dead in the water

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is literally no down side to signing him so I can't honestly see how it can be not worth it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is literally no down side to signing him so I can't honestly see how it can be not worth it.

the 'downside' is racists won't like it. unfortunately for humanity that's a negative and not a positive.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

as mentioned earlier and 100x more. It would be worth it just to watch people burn their "stocks" in the Packers.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cap space

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bitches will burn their stocks

The downside is not all of them will film it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cap space doesn't matter as you aren't signing Kaep to a long term deal.

This is a we need help quickly and you got to prove you aren't poo poo deal.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
OTOH hand we will have to deal with a thousand million "GLORY BOY KAEP KISSES BICEPS AFTER TOUCHDOWN, NOT WHAT VINCE LOMBARDI WOULD HAVE WANTED!" takes

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cap space doesn't matter as you aren't signing Kaep to a long term deal.

This is a we need help quickly and you got to prove you aren't poo poo deal.

they need to save space to roll it over to sign um... and uh... to long term deals. Plus any free agents, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
It'd take him 3+ weeks to learn the offense, McCarthy is notoriously stubborn about having people who know the system, and we need to know for the future whether or not Hundley can play well. 2 weeks is not a legit sample size. Aaron Rodgers sucked for a decent while before getting to MVP status, you need to have reps against legit defenses to improve.

There is a 0.000000% chance we sign Kaepernick, and the vast majority of the reasons for that have nothing to do with racism. We don't do a read-option offense, we do timing routes with improv secondary reads that rely on long-term chemistry between qb and receiver. Even if Hundley went down, we'd go right to Callahan, because he has more experience in the offense.

In order to succeed w Kaep, you need an offense tailored to fit his skillset, and the GB offense is like the opposite of that. Our o-line can't block well enough for it, and we don't have big body receivers.

It's a total no-go, discussing it is ridiculous.

Besides, on the one in a million chance we did, the actual test to tell a True USA Patriotic Fan wouldn't be burning their worthless stock, it would be for them to give up their place in the season ticket line.

• Locked thread