Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MourningView posted:

Or just tell them that they couldn't have a show with barstool in the goddamn name so you can at least pretend to have some distance. You are the biggest company in all of sports, they need you a lot more than you need a few more YouTube views or whatever.

yea wasn't that a 'thing'? Like the original plan was just 'the van' or whatever and then Barstool insisted on it being properly branded and...for some reason ESPN caved? I coulda sworn I heard that was how it went but that could have just been poo poo stirring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/922551074594131970

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Can we just take a moment, and just appreciate how nutsy it is that John Skipper put out a press release that mentions people named Big Cat and PFT Commenter?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/922554465647030272

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Can we just take a moment, and just appreciate how nutsy it is that John Skipper put out a press release that mentions people named Big Cat and PFT Commenter?

hahaha very true

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm now in the boat that those guys should leave. Portnoy is only going to hold them back and my guess is this press conference burns some bridges at ESPN.

Will be interesting to see if ESPN continues to let people go on their podcast. Van Pelt and Nichols are big fans and they've had a bunch of other people on it too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/922553223541649408

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
ESPN is so loving weird and dumb.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For once, something ESPN outbid Fox Sports for blows up in their face.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Niwrad posted:

I'm now in the boat that those guys should leave. Portnoy is only going to hold them back and my guess is this press conference burns some bridges at ESPN.

Will be interesting to see if ESPN continues to let people go on their podcast. Van Pelt and Nichols are big fans and they've had a bunch of other people on it too.

honestly at this point there's zero reason Portnoy shouldn't fully embrace his more CHUDish side. After this all his fans know about the poo poo people don't like, people still on the Barstool train are at least cool with it, why not just come out and say "Yea ESPN is a buncha cucks trying to censor us for not being PC" and be like that google moron who those assholes still like.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

So how cringe-worthy was this?

Also this is the same site run by that racist/misogynist guy who literally cried after the Pats lost in Week 1 right?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

axeil posted:

So how cringe-worthy was this?

Was boring more than anything. Says ESPN knew what Barstool was before they agreed to do the show. Says most of the people at ESPN are fans of Barstool. Kind of credits Sam Ponder for picking the perfect time to get back at him for what he said years ago. Says some at ESPN like Sarah Spain just want their own show. Then goes on about how Barstool will never change or sellout and how Barstool is held to a different standard than other media outlets.

Thought it would be gun blazing trashing of ESPN but it was more a masturbatory speech on how great Barstool is and how they totally don't need ESPN.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Wonder if this means no more ESPNers on PMT

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

He's right that Barstool is held to a different standard than most media entities. A significantly lower standard.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Niwrad posted:

Says most of the people at ESPN are fans of Barstool. Kind of credits Sam Ponder for picking the perfect time to get back at him for what he said years ago.

you know what, i'm just gonna pretend it's ESPN letting Sam Ponder plan out an incredibly elaborate prank to gently caress with Portnoy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How did Skipper sit down in a meeting with Portnoy, listen to him open his mouth, and not immediately nope the gently caress out of there

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm definitely also in the camp that Big Cat and PFT should leave and do their own thing because they're so loving good.

Being from New England obviously I was a huge Barstool guy but these days their audience is full of coked up racist frat boys screaming about liberals while they lace up their boat shoes at their daddy's lake house. The only other funny thing on the Stool now is Uncle Chaps but he's not really all sports. Sucks because Portnoy was hilarious before the acquisition when he pumped blogs out.

I mean Jesus Christ, Barstool acquired Old Row this year and those dudes are tiki torch central.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chaps is the guy who makes the fake reporter accounts on Twitter, right? I do remember him for this tweet during Charlottesville.

https://twitter.com/UncleChaps/status/896363325231116288

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Adun posted:

Wonder if this means no more ESPNers on PMT

That would be pretty lovely of ESPN since they don't seem to have any beef with PFT and Big Dog. There's a difference between not wanting to be in business with Barstool and not letting any of your employees even talk to them.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

That would be pretty lovely of ESPN since they don't seem to have any beef with PFT and Big Dog. There's a difference between not wanting to be in business with Barstool and not letting any of your employees even talk to them.

ESPN’s stance seems to be ‘we don’t want to be associated with Barstool’. Employees showing up on a Barstool podcast would seem to go against that

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It seems they don't mind the talent going on the show to promote whatever they are doing. Rachel Nichols went on to promote her show, Hill and Smith went on to promote their SportsCenter., Van Pelt just seems to be a fan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Adun posted:

ESPN’s stance seems to be ‘we don’t want to be associated with Barstool’. Employees showing up on a Barstool podcast would seem to go against that

When Berman goes to Chub-ee's Gentleman's Club, does that make ESPN associated with said establishment?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Tim Whatley posted:

I mean Jesus Christ, Barstool acquired Old Row this year and those dudes are tiki torch central.

Haha yeah, Old Row showed up in my instagram discover feed and its basically just a Reagan right wing gently caress fest.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 24, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

General Dog posted:

When Berman goes to Chub-ee's Gentleman's Club, does that make ESPN associated with said establishment?

Only if he used catchphrases and nicknames.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Adun posted:

Yeah, there may have not been one before, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one now, or backlash towards anyone who does go on.

As for PMT breaking free, I'd imagine that Barstool has everyone's TV rights locked up, probably back to that Comedy Central Super Bowl show that they did. IANAL but it'd be foolish if Barstool did and PMT may be stuck until the contracts run out/someone is able to buy them out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm definitely also in the camp that Big Cat and PFT should leave and do their own thing because they're so loving good.

Being from New England obviously I was a huge Barstool guy but these days their audience is full of coked up racist frat boys screaming about liberals while they lace up their boat shoes at their daddy's lake house. The only other funny thing on the Stool now is Uncle Chaps but he's not really all sports. Sucks because Portnoy was hilarious before the acquisition when he pumped blogs out.

it has always been gross and terrible you just apparently overlooked that because it was gross and terrible in a Boston accent

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

If Chub-ee’s interviewed Berman in front of a million people then yeah, I’d say there’s some association

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wysh found a great old picture at ESPN

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/922532216068026368

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Something that might slip under the radar, but the FCC just voted that stations don't need local affiliates anymore: http://thehill.com/policy/technology/356887-fcc-eliminates-local-studio-requirement-for-broadcasters

This won't mean much for the national programs, but this will decimate coverage at the local level. Small colleges/high schools who had a chance of being on local TV are now SOL since I'd imagine the Sinclairs and Clear Channels of the world will shutter as many affiliates as possible if they don't have to keep them open. Doing their own webcast may be the only option now for a small program.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they spent the first 20 minutes of today's pardon my take talking about barstool van talk

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/923176343659040768

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chris Mortensen has been through fifteen cancer treatments

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doug Gottlieb is still dumb as hell

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Gottlieb very occasionally says something I agree with about college basketball.

That's like the very end of any of his sports takes that are even questionably good, and I'm not including the vast majority of his college BB takes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I saw a report this afternoon that there are 40-60 more layoffs coming at ESPN by the end of the year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

look Doug has been a lot closer to being an inmate than I ever have maybe we should hear him out

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

look Doug has been a lot closer to being an inmate than I ever have maybe we should hear him out

lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox will be bringing the 6 second ads over to the Thanksgiving day NFL game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I dont have power so I can't go get the li is at

There was a 20 year old wrestling radio show in Canada called Live Audio Wrestling that was bought out by the Fight Network/Anthem Entertainment.

It is now on hiatus and the 4 guys who hosted it have all left the company because their parent company made an ill advised investment and are losing their shirt on it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Michael Wilbon says "Hold my beer."

https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/925209883435196416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I only mind that when they've been doing these in NFL games they play the audio. No audio would be fine.