Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the worst part is people keep giving CIG money which is basically just financing a torture facility for compsci college grads and they have such an awful awful game they might as well be demanding a bunch of middle schoolers build a Saturn V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

My EDC consists of two things:

a burner phone with only Derek Smart's number so I can get my daily orders

an exploded stressball that I squeezed too hard because star citizen's success just makes me so mad

:lol:

Made me laugh. :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Titanic posted:

This is why women use purses. We can just Penn and Teller a machine gun in there along with not only a carabiner, but an entire supply of Everest grade rope, prepared for the event of a sudden apocalypse happening at the office and I need to vertically harpoon my way out of danger while also fending off attackers.

Okay. Hope you have duct tape in there as well.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

:reddit: weighs in on why the Escapist should probably die, and surprise it's because Derek Smart is a bad man.

They need to come to terms with the fact that while they wait for Star Citizen, other things keep happening. There will be many companies that come and go, many other games that go from new release to abandon ware, all while Star Citizen never gets to beta.

Just never stop funding the dream. It’s coming. Don’t be a leaver now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

Okay. Hope you have duct tape in there as well.

Well duh. What would you think I’d have when I need to duct tape my gun to my flame thrower?

Here’s a rare picture of me when I was young and Sigourney Weaver on my way from my desk to the bathroom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Well duh. What would you think I’d have when I need to duct tape my gun to my flame thrower?

A jpeg?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/922507032552509441
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/922571232909844480

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 24, 2017

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

The (cara)Biners are coming for your jobs, your healthcare, and your women.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SomethingJones posted:

Frederick Brooks
https://www.wired.com/2010/07/ff_fred_brooks/

I cannot believe I've never heard of this guy.

His book 'The Design of Design' sounds fascinating.

"The Mythical Man Month" is the classic text from Brooks, based on real design experience with IBM. Game programming is not the same thing, but project management definitely is.

SomethingJones posted:

This is the difference between getting a proper university education in software engineering and bailing out of university and taking the first 'computery' job you can get. I did the latter, I just wanted to buy a guitar and start a band.

I'm just a hobbyist, but I love computer history. Here's a wrap of the 'second system effect' for others who may not know of it:

The first system has usually been long in design and well-mapped out as to the building and project management, a small team and a small budget. Project management is also easier because the first system is small and efficient. There will be trade-offs and things not implemented to keep the result consistent and successful.

The problem is ironically that success. With the second system, the designer wants to fix the issues of the first and add new ideas. This design is more ambitious and is often not given sufficient time to develop before building. At the same time the development team has to be expanded to accomplish this new goal and the very size and complexity of managing that team adds to the complexity and size of the second system. These changes add scales of magnitude to costs and time to completion.

This is beginning to ring bells, is it not?

I'll say that in the Vax's defence the problem wasn't that there weren't good ideas in it, they just tried ALL the good ideas AT ONCE (a classic second system effect), with the result that the instruction set bloated and expanded with the new size of addressable memory (32bit vs 16bit), innocently with the original idea to make systems programming more flexible for designers. Instead it served to confuse things: I think about a 3rd of the instruction set was redundant and rarely used. Along with a drastic (to programmers) change from octal to hexadecimal notation, and a bewildering variety of addressable modes, it's no surprise that it took years for Unix to settle down on the platform.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

:reddit: weighs in on why the Escapist should probably die, and surprise it's because Derek Smart is a bad man.

Of course, there could be no other reason why Roberts insane screed was removed! It's the vibe, your honour.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ewe2 posted:

I'll say that in the Vax's defence the problem wasn't that there weren't good ideas in it, they just tried ALL the good ideas AT ONCE (a classic second system effect), with the result that the instruction set bloated and expanded with the new size of addressable memory (32bit vs 16bit), innocently with the original idea to make systems programming more flexible for designers. Instead it served to confuse things: I think about a 3rd of the instruction set was redundant and rarely used. Along with a drastic (to programmers) change from octal to hexadecimal notation, and a bewildering variety of addressable modes, it's no surprise that it took years for Unix to settle down on the platform.

We can argue forever on the VAX instruction set. It was easier to use than BASIC.

Then we can get to clustering, file revisioning, $ that sort of thing.

DEC had it right from the beginning. To be honest, a great operating system.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

EmesiS posted:

The (cara)Biners are coming for your jobs, your healthcare, and your women.

REI is not sending their best.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

BeefThief posted:

MoMA why don't you clean that nasty loving counter the $10,000 coffee machine sits on

I want more pictures of that counter even more than I want the amd letter

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
CIG, you need more bean counters and clean counters where beans cannot be counted.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

i too enjoyed the first PR, but god drat the trailer for number 2 has some really obnoxious decisions going on in it

Haven't seen the trailer. The first PR had an elbow rocket (punch). Does the new one have some big drills at least?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"I am the Fundlax, and I speak for the budget! I speak for the budget, for the backers will never know. And I'm asking you commando, at the top of my lungs - that jpeg! That horrible jpeg I see! What's that jpeg you've made out of my crowdfunded budget and fee?"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sorry, catching up with this conversation several pages later:

Combat Theory posted:

I would like to add my favorite cig flaw

"not invented here"

NIH is the ultimate failure mode for management who drink the Kool-Aid. And again, we can go back to Digital for an example. The most famous being Dave Cutler who spearheaded VMS and later NT. He hated Unix with a passion and it took years for management to accept that they were selling hardware on Unix adoption despite the success of VMS. Ultimately such attitudes were what sunk the company, they lost touch with the changes in the industry.

Even Microsoft came dangerously close to NIH but are battling perceived threats from linux-based technologies by trying to work with them (despite the amazing power of some applications divisions in that company cough *office* cough).

The special problem of the computer industry is the fact that 1 very good programmer equals a whole bunch of average programmers and adding management layers actually breaks that efficiency down. It doesn't matter what they're programming which also means some really hard competition for the best and a delicate balance of management.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

A new backer is excited to join the community! Let's see what happens!

Oh no, another pleasant interaction on /r/starcitizen ruined by those terrible goons trying to make everyone look toxic! :ohdear:

:cripes:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

We can argue forever on the VAX instruction set. It was easier to use than BASIC.

Then we can get to clustering, file revisioning, $ that sort of thing.

DEC had it right from the beginning. To be honest, a great operating system.

This isn't about what was best or good, VMS is perfectly fine, and I'm teaching myself the VAX instruction set anyway. The issue is the effect of success on DEC's management. Success can be dangerous. We could equally discuss the issue of Unix's success for AT&T, just as potent a problem.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mne nravitsya posted:

He came up with the name, and a high level hand waving concept that he could not even remotely execute on - because his focus was always on refactoring the art every week, and not actually coming up with a design. All he cared about was making the opening hi-res cinematic as cool looking as possible. Most of the DA team were either doing work on that, or doing pre-vis work for Robert Rodriguez’s Spy Kids - which was blocked out at DA for the CG shots.

Chris was removed from DA for a number of reasons besides just this one, and was well paid on his way out. He has nothing he can legitmately cry about on that end. Then, those that were left at DA had to figure out how to make a real game out of the SC-esque alpha tech demo, which took three years to do.

His name’s on the box, because the IP was his original idea, and Erin stuck by it and kept it running after his brother hosed off to LA.

this time is different though

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Solarin posted:

this time is different though

this time

we're here

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

*insert airhorn sound that lasts for twenty seconds*

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Of a belt.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I never really noticed the official RSI instagram account before... it's pretty bad

Almost 80% of the posts aren't even jpegs they're just drawings of what the jpegs COULD look like

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZOgySWnjbE/

Come test your skills speeding across the moons! *moons don't exist yet*

https://www.instagram.com/p/BahmP__n7r2/

Interested in these various careers? *not available yet as none of it is anywhere near finished*

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaZ8OH7nPtX/

Home Sweet Home, yeah you want to build this and live in it don't you , you loving nerd hermit! *also nowhere near able to do any of this, let alone even land on the planets*

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaJ9WQHHZ_Y/

This is just another artists rendition, how can anyone think this will ever be possible?

Their entire instagram is like this, basically mock ups and artists renderings of what they WANT it to look like, but they're selling it as things you can already do in the 'game'

I can't take it anymore ARGHGHGHRRHGRH :pgabz:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

And finally this guy gets to see the true gift to gaming Chris Roberts helped to pioneer.

The true gift of Star Citizen. :allears:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

Easy there commando, easy. You're gunna be fine, just keep your credit card in your wallet and you'll be fine, just fine. You'll have a healthy relationship with doors yet.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

I guarantee it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Justin Tyme posted:

the worst part is people keep giving CIG money which is basically just financing a torture facility for compsci college grads and they have such an awful awful game they might as well be demanding a bunch of middle schoolers build a Saturn V

The thing about compsci degrees is, the demand is so high that you can basically walk out of college and into a job virtually anywhere. You can get paid a lot more for a lot less work by doing virtually anything other than game coding. Anyone jumping on with CIG at this point is probably chasing that "Game Dev Rockstar" dream that is basically used to sucker people into giving up their health, family, life, and sanity for something something "Passion." I guess I used to have more sympathy for people falling into that trap, but at this point even moderate due diligence or a google search would tell you what you were walking into.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

reverend crabhands posted:

Ugh Pacific Rim 2!

Please don't be poo poo.

Better not be some lovely Transformers-like, I loved the first PR film.

Oh I have some bad news for you. It seems you already like poo poo films quite a bit.

The question is not whether or not PR2 will be poo poo (it will be), it's a question of if it will be shittier than SC.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

I never really noticed the official RSI instagram account before... it's pretty bad

Almost 80% of the posts aren't even jpegs they're just drawings of what the jpegs COULD look like

Interested in these various careers? *not available yet as none of it is anywhere near finished*

Home Sweet Home, yeah you want to build this and live in it don't you , you loving nerd hermit! *also nowhere near able to do any of this, let alone even land on the planets*

This is just another artists rendition, how can anyone think this will ever be possible?

Their entire instagram is like this, basically mock ups and artists renderings of what they WANT it to look like, but they're selling it as things you can already do in the 'game'

In about 5 years, people will find these things and say... "Jesus, it was such an outright scam, look at this poo poo, why didn't anyone notice and point it out?"

:)

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Sabreseven posted:

In about 5 years, people will find these things and say... "Jesus, it was such an outright scam, look at this poo poo, why didn't anyone notice and point it out?"

:)

It will be in Derek's book.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Dogeh posted:

I'd bet it already is :D

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Blue On Blue posted:

They used to link to Squardon42 instagram at the end of their videos.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

For some read the guy is looking like he’s about to draw his camera and pop off a few rounds pictures.

I’m sure they did that on purpose though.

He's obviously a paparazzo with an itchy shutter finger.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sunswipe posted:

if you're going to be this obvious with your trolling, it's no fun.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
We all pledge down here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dogeh posted:

Calling it now, Derek will never release a book.

It will never get past an editor. They will fall upon their knees and ask for the first and second book to make sense of what they have been given. Derek will smugly state, "You are incorrect. This is the only book," and there shall be must wailing and gnashing of teeth.