Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Decided to link the Dragonfall albums to save you guys the loading.
Day 1
Round 1
This was against a pretty fluffy Grey Knight army(one of the better painted armies on display). Unfortunately, Grey Knights alone don’t really seem to have what it takes. He teleported in and pretty much killed all the conscripts, but the combined firepower of the Leviathan’s, Chronos, and Guilliman melted about 50% of his army. It is worth noting that Conscripts do not equal “board control”. They are good for screening, but will absolutely melt when gazed upon. This meant that while I still had 3/4ths of my points still on the table my model count was basically down to about 10 from the 70 or so I started with.
Ended on Turn 6 with him hiding a single squad of Paladins from me.
Round 2
A close game versus Orks. Going first and his large Army size resulted in him taking early control of the board. As I finally killed off his massive squads of Boyz I began to catch up, but unfortunately we had to end the game at the end of Round 4 with me still being a few points behind. I was pretty confident I could’ve swung a lead with another round or two, but sometimes that is just how it works out.
The game ended with him having killed Guilliman, and me having killed all of his characters with a small group of Boyz left and his artillery and attending gretchin still alive. Both Leviathans and Celestine were alive, hence my confidence in being able to finish him off given the proper time.
Round 3
This was the first real “nasty” list I ran into. We had the usual suspects, Alpha Legion Berserkers and Cultists and lots of them, Magnus, Malefic Lords, Brimstones, etc. This was a game that really hinged on me going first, and thanks to a handy +1 I won the roll off. My opponent did a decent job of hiding his Chaos Marines out of LoS, and I only managed to kill about 9 of those that were exposed, but the real luck came when Chronos managed to drop 14 damage on Magnus. My opponent rolled 4 2s on 4 Lascannon wounds, command point re-rolled into another 2.
Despite my initial damage my opponent quickly got his Berserkers into my lines, and along with the cultists managed to kill 2 groups of them outright. However, as with they Grey Knights Guilliman and the Levs sat ready to deliver justice, and they quickly crushed the Berserkers.
Once I cleared out my lines I finished off Magnus, and then proceeded to chase the remaining cultists and lords into a table corner where the game ended on round 6 with most of his army retreated on to a single objective.
Day 2
Other armies on display
Going into Day 2 I found myself 2-1, still hoping find myself in a nice runner-up position. As lucky as I was in Game 3 my fortunes would turn suddenly for the worse in Game 4.
Round 4
Another chaos army, but instead of Magnus we had a Fire Raptor along with squads of brimstones, cultists, obliterators, and a Scorpius whirlwind. I ended up getting firs turn, but thanks to the ample terrain my opponent was able to force me to move Chronos to actually draw LoS on the Fire Raptor, and from this point on not a single thing in this match went my way.
I started turn 1 off with Chronos rolling 4 2s to hit the Fire Raptor…the worst possible roll. This was immediately followed up by Celestine failing a charge into combat against some exposed cultists by opponent was using to hold an objective. Obiliterators came in and killed Celestine for the first time, while the FireRaptor began chewing apart my conscripts at distance. Another turn of Chronos firing at the plane resulted in nearly no damage as it continued to eat my infantry, and Celestine resurrected failed to kill the obliterators in melee. By turn 3 I managed to get both my Leviathans and Chronos shooting at the FireRaptor, and they STILL failed to kill it, resulting in it murdering Celestine. The guy was making 5+ and 6+ like crazy. The dice were not on my side this game.
The final straw of me knowing I was defeated was when the last 2 obliterators put 7 wounds on one of my Leviathan’s and I failed all 7 4++ saves(they had a damage 2 profile). This was the only time I lost one of the dreadnaughts the whole weekend, it is safe to say they are broken. By games end on Turn 5 I had Tigurius and a single Leviathan left. I had managed to kill the Fire Raptor along with his Demon Prince and Ahriman leaving my opponent with a single Rhino, 1 Malefic Lord, 1 Sorcerer, a battered Scorpius, 2 Oblits, 3 brims, and a squad of cultists. He had me under his thumb most of the game.
Round 5
Perhaps even more lopsided than Game 1 I found myself up against a double Magnus/Mortarian list ran by one of Naramyth’s teammates. Basically it was 50 or so Brims, Changeling, 2xPrimarchs, and 5 Demon Princes. My opponent rushed all his characters forward, but neglected to send his brimstone screen with them. They basically ran into my lines where Tigiruius activated Null Zone, resulting in Mortarian dying Turn 1, followed by Magnus and several demon princes on Turn 2, and then me spending the next 4 rounds crossing the table trying to root out his brimstones and the changeling.
My list was designed to handle exactly this kind of match up, so my opponent had an uphill battle. If he had moved his brimstones up in a formation around his princes it might have been a significantly different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think he ran the Predators in a Spearhead as White Scars, actually, but they were painted up as Blood Angels. Maybe that's why I was confused.

The terminators and Sanguinary Guard he ran as Blood Angels.

In any case, it was the worst game I've ever played. A few of his terminators in his 10 man squad were on 28mm bases, and he was a little picky about which one moved where to maximize attacks.

I conceded after turn 3. He wiped my 2 of my 4 shooty Kastelans, Kataphrons, Cawl, Fulgurite Electropriests, Vanguard, Rangers and my Knight. All I had left was 2 Dunecrawlers, 2 Kastelans, a datasmith and my techpriest which were all locked in combat.

Really bums me out that even if AdMechs dedicated assault unit swings, bullshit units like Sanguinary Guard or TH/SS Terminators get ridiculous invulnerable saves. Also, Sanguinary Priests can bring dead dudes back? I managed to get a few kills on his Guard unit with my Fulgurites, then he healed 1 and brought another one back from the dead. :psyduck:

This guy seems like a dick. One for the do not play list.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Dragonfall

Thanks for the reports! I always appreciate your perspective on the more competitive side of the hobby, and as always your Ultras look great.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think he ran the Predators in a Spearhead as White Scars, actually, but they were painted up as Blood Angels. Maybe that's why I was confused.

In any case, it was the worst game I've ever played. A few of his terminators in his 10 man squad were on 28mm bases, and he was a little picky about which one moved where to maximize attacks.

I conceded after turn 3. He wiped my 2 of my 4 shooty Kastelans, Kataphrons, Cawl, Fulgurite Electropriests, Vanguard, Rangers and my Knight. All I had left was 2 Dunecrawlers, 2 Kastelans, a datasmith and my techpriest which were all locked in combat.

Really bums me out that even if AdMechs dedicated assault unit swings, bullshit units like Sanguinary Guard or TH/SS Terminators get ridiculous invulnerable saves. Also, Sanguinary Priests can bring dead dudes back? I managed to get a few kills on his Guard unit with my Fulgurites, then he healed 1 and brought another one back from the dead. :psyduck:

Aside from the cheating, running a mixed base unit and then exploiting is just hot garbage.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Good writeup and pictures. Half these peoples armies make me want to roll my eyes so hard it shaves off part of my brain though. Gods sake if you're running mort and maggy at least paint them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

This guy seems like a dick. One for the do not play list.

What really bummed me out is I played him since no one else said they would, and I originally just went in for Shadespire. Definitely added to my 'no thanks' list.

Uroboros posted:

Awesome Bat Rep

Batreps like this make me want to get Leviathan Dreadnoughts so bad. Thanks for all the photos - the glass on the cockpit on the Xiphon is great.

What are the odds Deathwatch will get access to Leviathan dreads?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The new Death Guard models are fun as hell to paint

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Unless that's 3 units of terminators (or he's proxying), I don't think that's a legal unit. There's no way to mix stormbolter+powerfist terminators into the same unit as TH+SS, and there are stormbolter guys way too far apart for coherency.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Unless that's 3 units of terminators (or he's proxying), I don't think that's a legal unit. There's no way to mix stormbolter+powerfist terminators into the same unit as TH+SS, and there are stormbolter guys way too far apart for coherency.

It's one 10 man unit of TH/SS terminators. When he said "do you mind if i proxy" i thought he meant normal models, not wildly different base sizes.

Can terminators even go on those tiny 28mm?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's one 10 man unit of TH/SS terminators. When he said "do you mind if i proxy" i thought he meant normal models, not wildly different base sizes.

Can terminators even go on those tiny 28mm?

The 3rd ed plastics were on 25mm bases, which is what he has. It's pretty dickish to proxy then be really specific about using the base sizes though.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
https://imgur.com/a/ZH0OU

Anyone have advice for salvaging these ebay ghost arks? The side guns don't seem to fit right and the little bits between the ribs on one of them are missing. Would it be super weird to just glue/epoxy them to the spine pointing outward? They're also missing the passengers and pilots.

Also missing the pilots for my night scythes. Should I try to chop up a normal warrior or do you think it's ok to leave it empty? The pilot bodies alone go for around 8$ online. I'm not sure how picky people are about this kind of stuff.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Shiiiiiit it might be worth it to run my Marines as half White Scars successors (for infantry) and then Blood Angels for tanks/dreads, because even a single Baal Predator getting to use Killshot on its Flamestorm Cannon seems.... really good.

2+ to wound all infantry, 4+ to wound all tanks, -2 AP, 3 damage each wound. Dang.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010

Booley posted:

Is that the same for deathwing terminators? Battlescribe might just be making me dumb. I'm trying to optimize a pile of ebay terminators.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

flamingweedle posted:

Is that the same for deathwing terminators? Battlescribe might just be making me dumb. I'm trying to optimize a pile of ebay terminators.

No, DW can mix types. That’s one of the things that make them special.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Shiiiiiit it might be worth it to run my Marines as half White Scars successors (for infantry) and then Blood Angels for tanks/dreads, because even a single Baal Predator getting to use Killshot on its Flamestorm Cannon seems.... really good.

2+ to wound all infantry, 4+ to wound all tanks, -2 AP, 3 damage each wound. Dang.

I really wish they hadn't opened this huge can of worms of letting Strategems affect units from other codices. There's going to be such weird min/max behavior going on as we see more codex drops

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Who was complaining about the USPS a while back? My mailman loving bent the Mortis Engine i ordered off ebay. Now each sprue is bent like a boomerang and a bunch of the parts are warped out of place.

Lazy dickhead had to come up to my apartment anyway since he had to drop off the box of stuff berzerkmonkey sent me. :argh:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
That was me

gently caress the postal service

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

How is Gates of Antares as a source of bits/proxy models? Like, how good is the detail on a Warlord Games sculpt in general?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Strobe posted:

WTF is this? Did I miss an FAQ? Why is this fuckery allowed?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

OhDearGodNo posted:

WTF is this? Did I miss an FAQ? Why is this fuckery allowed?

Because GW is dumb, and stratagems went from hampering soup shenanigans to enhancing it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Pretty sure that doesn't work that way around.

Killshot works off a predator being next to 2 <Chapter> predators and its been established that <Chapter> and a specific chapter i.e blood angels aren't the same thing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Basically they said on facebook(?) that by taking a detachment of a certain army you unlock their stratagems and they work on everything as long as the required keywords are met.

also killshot don't work on infantry.

edit: and yeah said chapter would have to be of the ones that unlocked the stratagems, hence not baal preds.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Killshot does specify <Chapter> Predators, so I'm not sure it would work for Blood Angels/Space Wolves/Dark Angels. That said, for all the crying people are doing it's *extremely* likely that those chapters will just get their own Killshot strategems anyways, just like Death Guard did.

e: For reference, the Chaos cross-usable strategems are the ones that specify cultist units (no legion) and Nurgle Heretic Astartes, a keyword set that all Death Guard have.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The only case of stratagems enabling soup so far has been a chaos detatchment letting you give a death guard psyker stuff from the regular chaos discipline for command points, and that hasn't exactly come up much.

E: /\/\/\ :hfive:

Artum fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 24, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

The only case of stratagems enabling soup so far has been a chaos detatchment letting you give a death guard psyker stuff from the regular chaos discipline for command points, and that hasn't exactly come up much.

The Ultramarine-IG command point reroll combo hasn't exactly been pleasant either.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

The Ultramarine-IG command point reroll combo hasn't exactly been pleasant either.

They get that anyway though, they can take an improved version (what is this bullshit) as a generic IG warlord trait.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I think the main complaint is it was perceived the game was pulling away from soup mixes that seemed janky and out of sorts. But here we are seeming to push back in.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I thought 8th edition was supposed to save 40k from the clutches of the wretched 7th edition

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If you didn't pick Vindicator please put me on ignore.

Zuul the Cat posted:

What really bummed me out is I played him since no one else said they would, and I originally just went in for Shadespire. Definitely added to my 'no thanks' list.

You really shouldn't feel bad for him I can think of a certain Radiohead song that applies.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

They get that anyway though, they can take an improved version (what is this bullshit) as a generic IG warlord trait.

Incidentally does the relic have to be on the board to work?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Shouldn't do, only check is the bearer not being dead. It won't be enabled until deployment is happening and the relic bearer is actually "alive" like with the ultramarine trait though.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I haven't seen Magnus or Mortarion in person, are they really taller than a Knight? Magnus especially looks massive.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

panascope posted:

I haven't seen Magnus or Mortarion in person, are they really taller than a Knight? Magnus especially looks massive.

A little taller with the wings perhaps, but smaller overall:

I think morty is a little smaller than magnus.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I got back into slamming hams right at the tail end of 7th edition so I missed out on the proper release of Magnus but holy gently caress those nipple horn things are loving hilarious

What the gently caress were they thinking

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

I got back into slamming hams right at the tail end of 7th edition so I missed out on the proper release of Magnus but holy gently caress those nipple horn things are loving hilarious

What the gently caress were they thinking

It was in the Blanche artwork and you can build him without them*

*if you are a pussy

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Magnus without nipple horns are just objectively wrong.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
It was pretty cold on Fenris.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How U'ed-up is the Telion figure? I had an idea of making him into a counts-as Lias Issodon but how much work with the file would I be in for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Groetgaffel posted:

Magnus without nipple horns are just objectively wrong.

Hard Mode: Unarmoured Magnus with the nipple horns.

Schadenboner posted:

How U'ed-up is the Telion figure? I had an idea of making him into a counts-as Lias Issodon but how much work with the file would I be in for?

Big one on the left shoulderpad, a couple of tiny ones on his gun, gloves. As long as you're careful it shouldn't be too much hassle on the shoulder.