Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like the big fix for the week is not deafening us every time the hangar doors shut.

quote:

Hello, Engineers! This week's minor release brings you a significant round of fixes and improvements. Numerous fixes for the UI are included in the update and downloading mods should no longer fail when loading into a new world. Direct connect now allows DNS as well as IP address to join multiplayer games. Also, headphone users will be happy to hear that we fixed the volume of hangar door sound effects!

In other news, the submission deadline for the screenshot competition is nearing (October 1st) so you have the weekend to make sure you've created and sent in your entries. For more infomation:

http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/09/screenshot-loading-screen-competition_14.html

And I'd tell you a joke about space, but... its too, out of this world!

Fixes:

fixed crash with rotation shortcut CTRL
direct join now allows for DNS as well as IP address to join
fixed multiple UI issues
minor fixes to the chinese translation
fixed being able to build behind the Oxygen Generator block despite it being built
fixed suffocation sound playing while seated in cockpit with visor closed
fixed loudness of hangar doors when closing and opening
fixed wheels making sound after exiting vehicle
fixed sensor making clicking sounds
added fall off sound for rifle to 900 m instead of 40 m
fixed issue with turrets Reloading message appearing when it should not
fixed issue with stairs having some black polygons at LOD1
fixed issue with catwalks LODs when positioned next to each other
fixed drills not loading up properly in the control panel
fixed issue with failing to download mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Doing my regular 6 month checkin, are there any sort of 'campaigns' or modded starts that give more of a survival-mode handheld objective-driven story yet? Looking for a 'wake up in a ruined ship' or 'crash-landed and need to get back into orbit' type scenarios where the gameplay is a little more than just 'go mine this ice patch 2km away' or 'gather materials in chests to repair broken asteroid'. I'm still interested to see what the game has to offer, but sandbox spaceships just never grabbed me beyond a few hours. But the dev still updates years later, so I have hope!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Bhodi posted:

Doing my regular 6 month checkin, are there any sort of 'campaigns' or modded starts that give more of a survival-mode handheld objective-driven story yet? Looking for a 'wake up in a ruined ship' or 'crash-landed and need to get back into orbit' type scenarios where the gameplay is a little more than just 'go mine this ice patch 2km away' or 'gather materials in chests to repair broken asteroid'. I'm still interested to see what the game has to offer, but sandbox spaceships just never grabbed me beyond a few hours. But the dev still updates years later, so I have hope!

Yes.

There is a single player tutorial/campaign that they've wrapped into the game now that's a pretty decent example of the scripting engine and what you can do with it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Well there is my mod, Super Engineer Adventures. It doesn't actually have a real story of any sort... But it's more like a survival start. You start in a crash landed drop pod on earth, and you have to go fight pirate outposts and unlock blocks and stuff to be able to leave the planet. Eventually you unlock everything, and there's a ton of custom made chalanges and pirate facilities I've added, especially stuff to do after unlocking everything.

There's 3 planets and 4 moons. An unlock system that eventually unlocks everything. Tons of chalanges on all the planets and moons (at least one thing in each world). And the "final" pirate base is very ridiculous. I recently updated it too, so it's fresh.

There's also Surface Occupation and Planetary Cargo Ships for random encounters ON planets. And [EEM] Exploration Enhancement Mod too.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Ugh, be warned that there's a gamebreaking bug in the latest update around welding:
https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-184-200-ds-mp-massive-lag-and-sim-speed-drop-when-welding-grinding-placing-blocks.7397481/

Not sure how that got out without testing!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Well there is my mod, Super Engineer Adventures. It doesn't actually have a real story of any sort... But it's more like a survival start. You start in a crash landed drop pod on earth, and you have to go fight pirate outposts and unlock blocks and stuff to be able to leave the planet. Eventually you unlock everything, and there's a ton of custom made chalanges and pirate facilities I've added, especially stuff to do after unlocking everything.

There's 3 planets and 4 moons. An unlock system that eventually unlocks everything. Tons of chalanges on all the planets and moons (at least one thing in each world). And the "final" pirate base is very ridiculous. I recently updated it too, so it's fresh.

There's also Surface Occupation and Planetary Cargo Ships for random encounters ON planets. And [EEM] Exploration Enhancement Mod too.
Yeah, I remember when you finished that! It looks pretty great but last I remember the unlocking was on the honor system, I see you've upped your coding skills since :)

The difficulty looks scaled for people who are experienced at the game though, have you thought about a more sedate pace that walks you through the use of the different blocks as they unlock?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Less Fat Luke posted:

Ugh, be warned that there's a gamebreaking bug in the latest update around welding:
https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-184-200-ds-mp-massive-lag-and-sim-speed-drop-when-welding-grinding-placing-blocks.7397481/

Not sure how that got out without testing!

What do you mean without testing? You just tested and found it. Welcome to Space Engineers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RandomBlue posted:

What do you mean without testing? You just tested and found it. Welcome to Space Engineers.

It's funny because it's true

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Oooh, thank you for pointing me to the surface encounter ones :eyepop:.

I've actually been putting together a World with my new NASA-ish ship modules, and that'll go well for explorational content.

Starting from a launch site on the Earth-type planet with the ship's Command Module and a Booster to get it up into orbit.

Ditching the first-stage Booster once it runs dry. It's got parachutes and a Beacon, so if you're so inclined you can go recover and recycle it for parts. And hopefully angled away from the launch site enough so it doesn't come down right on top of it :gibs:.

And hooking up with the main body of the ship in orbit. The ship proper has a pair of Colony Pods and a shuttle for exploration/settlement on another world.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I remember when you finished that! It looks pretty great but last I remember the unlocking was on the honor system, I see you've upped your coding skills since :)

The difficulty looks scaled for people who are experienced at the game though, have you thought about a more sedate pace that walks you through the use of the different blocks as they unlock?

I remember that honor-system scenario, I completely scrapped it once I discovered EfM, copied its unlocking code with some help from the author, and replaced it with SEA.

I actually would like to make the scenario easier for newer players, and make sort-of tutorials for all the unlocks. It was actually the original intent, kind of. But there's a few hitches...
1) I can't change the unlocking system. Specifically, I can't change what blocks will be unlocked when and switch things around. It would ruin people's saves and cause people to have some blocks permanently "locked". The unlocking system is very powerful and volatile because those locked blocks don't become unlocked when you turn off the mod. Once the mod is activated and you save, you have to manually unlock those blocks to ever get them back.
2) Any updates I make to the scenario won't show up in your save unless you start a completely new game. (a minor issue, I know)
3) Having any sort of tutorial is pretty difficult when there's a good chance the whole thing can be blown up and destroyed. I don't really like the idea of annoying pop-ups either (even if I knew how to do them).

If you have any suggestions on how to "teach" the unlocked blocks to the players, I would very much like to know it. I'm really open to any ideas.

EDIT:
Here's the spoilery google-doc LIST of all the unlocks and stuff. If anyone can figure out some decent "tutorials" for each set, I'm all ears.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

If you have any suggestions on how to "teach" the unlocked blocks to the players, I would very much like to know it. I'm really open to any ideas.

EDIT:
Here's the spoilery google-doc LIST of all the unlocks and stuff. If anyone can figure out some decent "tutorials" for each set, I'm all ears.

I know I'm kinda big on the principle in general, but what you probably want (for some at least) is a standardized little pod with the new blocks equipped. They already understand how the base Pod works past the first one they find, and from there they can understand how the new tools integrate into them. Timer and programming blocks might be an LCD mounted by the cockpit with the Automatic LCD Script running, for example.

For Grinders, maybe you find a grinder-equipped pod in a hangar and doors seal behind you once the hack executes? How're you gonna get through those sealed doors, maybe with that pod ready to go?...

Hydro Thrusters and fuel might be a simple rocket launch test site. Push button, watch rocket fly up into the sky... and come back down because there's evidently not enough fuel in one tank. Hmm...

edit: Projector and Warheads are easy too; Broken rover in a minefield. Getting there without blowing yourself up is half the challenge, and use an onboard Projector to help fix the broken rover.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 3, 2017

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I started on some standardised little pod things that simply has LCD panels and the blocks on display above them. Connected to the grid and all.

Another thing I guess I should have mentioned was that these tutorials needed to be redoable, or not one shot wonders, just in case someone brings a friend online or needs a refresher.

Or maybe I forgot to mention I'm really lazy. I'll keep working on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Another week, another round of bugfixes. At least that sim speed bug's gonna get fixed... eventually :confuoot:.

quote:

Hello, Engineers! This week's minor release comes with some important general improvements. Issues fixed include a number of audio issues like wheel sounds playing even when a vehicle is not moving and choking sounds being heard by all players. Also, the Doppler Effect should now be heard correctly through your sound device of choice. Additionally, there’s some modding improvements; mods can now use WAV format audio instead of WXM.

Also, the game will now pause when you open the steam overlay, and will properly ignore keyboard input while the overlay is open.

Behind the scenes, the team is busy working towards some exciting major updates for the game as we approach the fourth year anniversary of Space Engineers. Stay tuned...

Fixes:

fixed crash when players were attempting to render and fast moving ship with respawn station
fixed crash when modifying their save .sbc files and attempting to go into setting in-game
fixed crash when certain Mech blueprints being destroyed would cause crash
removed certain ships from random encounters that cause sim speed drop
changed the large tube component model size
fixed loading screen background not scaling properly for all resolutions
fixed ESC button being registered when entering the steam overlay
fixed hitbox on astronaut being larger than intended
fixed GPS staying after looting the body before changing to a backpack
fixed blocks staying selected on DS when entering cockpit
fixed doppler effect not working for audio
fixed odd behavior for audio of first gatling shot not respecting distance
fixed grinder sound playing after grinding down block
fixed choking sounds being heard by all players
fixed wheel sounds playing despite the vehicle not moving
fixed audio files not being located for modded blocks

:siren:Regarding decreased sim speed when using tools: This problem was already in the game for some time but was not visible due to other things. We are working hard on a fix but due to the difficulty of it we would like to ask players to be patient as the issue will be solved in the next Major update.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Why are ship-based grinders so weak? I'm using EEM and the Planetary Encounters mods, and the amount of time it takes for my little grinder drone ship to render down things to parts after I blow the poo poo out of them is insane. It's actually faster to do it by hand, even with having to go back and forth to dump inventory, which is ludicrous to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Build more of them.

Build a giant plate of them and then push your desired object of grindyness into it like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEdgQJEdTA

Ship based grinders are better than hand grinders because you can build as many of them as you want, their advantage is coverage, not speed, but if you're grinding something large, being able to grind all of it at once makes it faster.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 7, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Hello, Engineers! Today's minor release comes with a sizeable batch of general improvements. The team has been working hard on both fixes and features of upcoming updates and are looking forward to seeing in the hands of our players. Issues fixed in this week's update include the dampeners HUD icon showing the incorrect state, controls being inverted when two players pilot a single grid and inventory scrolling not working properly. Additionally there's more sound improvements. For example, you will notice a new sound when walking with activated magnetic boots and footstep sounds should now be in sync with animation.

Also, changing the UI Opacity will no longer make text in the control panel unreadable.

Fixes:

fixed players being unable to spawn on Rival Platform scenario
fixed turned off projector displaying a projection after removing a block
fixed Easy Start Space miner exploding when editing its grid
fixed controls getting inverted with two players piloting grid
fixed scrolling inventory not working properly
fixed shaking off camera when shooting and in spec. camera
fixed issue with modded LCD Textures shown as Blank
fixed emissivity issues on skins
fixed faulty Sensor block showing negative number on range sliders
fixed wrong mount point on Corner LCD flat block
changed design for Stairs model block
fixed issue with dampener icon no displaying the correct state
fixed UI Opacity making texts in control panel unreadeable
fixed out of sync footsteps
fixed no start/idle/moving sounds playing for ships
fixed ship Drill sounds not playing when turned on
fixed deconstructing blocks playing constructing block sounds
changed sound when walking with magnetic boots
fixed Airtight hangar doors playing the wrong footstep sound cue

Regarding decreased sim speed: this problem was already in the game for some time but was not visible due to other things. We are still working hard on a fix but due to the difficulty of it we would like to ask players to be patient as the issue will be solved in the next Major update.

The Sim Speed fix is still Coming SoonTM

Kenlon posted:

Why are ship-based grinders so weak? I'm using EEM and the Planetary Encounters mods, and the amount of time it takes for my little grinder drone ship to render down things to parts after I blow the poo poo out of them is insane. It's actually faster to do it by hand, even with having to go back and forth to dump inventory, which is ludicrous to me.

I highly recommend the Twin Welders/Grinders modblocks (Links are in the OP), because they have a massive area of effect compared to the vanilla versions.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Apparently they did just release a hotfix for the sim speed issue:
https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/...post-1287073665

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Kenlon posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Build more of them.

Build a giant plate of them and then push your desired object of grindyness into it like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEdgQJEdTA

Ship based grinders are better than hand grinders because you can build as many of them as you want, their advantage is coverage, not speed, but if you're grinding something large, being able to grind all of it at once makes it faster.

This. Ship-based grinders actually have a slight AoE to them - multiple nearby grinders create an overlapping zone where a single block is operated on by two, three grinders at once. Edit: The same goes for welders!

There's also the fact that a ship-based grinder can shunt its output into a cargo pod, instead of your character's inventory, and said ship can be equipped with a life support system of its own so you don't need to rely on your suit power/oxygen stores.

That single ship grinder might not be as powerful as a souped-up hand grinder, but a well-built grinder drone saves you so much time and effort in bouncing around to dump your inventory, top up your O2/H2, and all that jazz.

Edit edit: Ship welders/grinders are one of those components that's completely traditional for Keen to break every couple of patches. If your grinder drone seems to literally not be doing anything at all, it might be either they brokedededed it, or an update somehow broke one of your mods and hosed with it. A single ship grinder should be about on par with a single regular hand grinder in grind speed.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Finally finished my new starfighter; the Falcon. Unlike the Hawk, it actually has internal reloadable missile launchers. Also more mounting points, and even two extra Jump Drives.

I discovered the Azimuth Mega Modpack has little 1x2x1 Grinders and Welders, so it's got a new main big-ship missile. The maglock on the front (usually) locks onto whatever it hits rather than just smashing into the target, and then the Grinders just burrow on inside. Latch onto the next block in, repeat, until the warhead's countdown hits zero somewhere inside...

And as for the little 1x2x1 Welders, they're used to create an internal Decoy launcher. The blocks don't actually need power to draw fire, so you can just dump them out and build new ones. Before anyone asks, warheads do not work in their place. Well, they do, just far more immediately from hitting the guide ramp. The little turrets are general anti-missile sentries. Or for shooting wolves/spiders.

And centrifugal cluster bombs. Bomb releases, starts spinning, and disperses eight warheads in a reasonably predictable pattern. Also come in a decoy flavour to draw fire while you attack stuff; Just back off a bit once it launches so it can fly ahead, and follow in behind it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'd love to see some videos of those bombs working

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite bug at the moment is the one where disconnecting a pair of connectors causes one grid to go flying off into space at Max speed and not be able to be slowed down by any means.

Or maybe the one where disconnecting landing gears from anything causes one grid to go flying off into space at Max speed and not be able to be slowed down by any means.

I can't pick which one I like best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

I'd love to see some videos of those bombs working

Well I can demonstrate how they work with some screencaps... from the new Spinner Missiles. Which are now part of the Workshop blueprint, incidentally.

One of the nice things about the W.A.S.P. Falcon is the higher wings means you can stick bigger toys on the hardpoints. In this case, the safety panels pop off to expose twenty-four warheads and fling them out around for extra damage.

And away it goes!

The panels fly free, carrying Decoy Blocks to distract nasty defensive fire.

Warheads release in three stages, so they disperse in a better pattern than the X-shape the bombs do.

Aaaand the Beluga-class Dreadnought has a bad day.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Holy poo poo I thought this game died in development hell, but here you fuckers are building custom made three stage rockets and cluster bombs.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

counterfeitsaint posted:

Holy poo poo I thought this game died in development hell, but here you fuckers are building custom made three stage rockets and cluster bombs.

It's still in development hell and breaks in multiple new and highly annoying ways every week but it's also cool as poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

Oh right, I forgot about that one. Does it count as a third stage if it's hooking up with a ship body that's already in orbit?

Take a trip to Mars/Xeno with X-02 and let me know. I haven't put much in the world to find myself, I added the Exploration mods to give people something to find/shoot/explore, but I did smash up a similar ship ~somewhere~ in the system,along with a few bits to stumble upon to give the impression the first ship going exploring/colonizing didn't do so well.

Incidentally, turns out the Tarantula Multipods just do not work on Luna-type moons. Even with the extremely low gravity, the lack of atmosphere means it can't hover for poo poo :v:. Ironically, the Colony Pod can lift off and break orbit on Luna-type moons though.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

RandomBlue posted:

It's still in development hell and breaks in multiple new and highly annoying ways every week but it's also cool as poo poo.

Not empty-quoting.

I love this game but I just haven't been able to get into it when somehow patches make the game more of a hassle to play.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

It's worse if you actually try to play it as a game. Survival mode could be fun one day, but it's just not there yet. Too much bullshit bugs. Also, there must isn't enough of survival mode features to begin with.

The bugs aren't so bad if you're in creative mode. Copy and past and delete to your hearts content. Not counting the bugs and glitches, survival mode is sorely lacking. No NPCs at all, so everything feels empty and lonely. No trading, territory control, or a map function of any kind. Progression is a mess; you start with access to every block, planets are the start(?) and have less rare resources, but is harder to build things on due to gravity and hold very little reason to explore once you get access to space.

It's just a big mess. They said there's a big update coming is a couple weeks (aka months) that's focused on expanding survival mode. We'll see.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

It's worse if you actually try to play it as a game. Survival mode could be fun one day, but it's just not there yet. Too much bullshit bugs. Also, there must isn't enough of survival mode features to begin with.

The bugs aren't so bad if you're in creative mode. Copy and past and delete to your hearts content. Not counting the bugs and glitches, survival mode is sorely lacking. No NPCs at all, so everything feels empty and lonely. No trading, territory control, or a map function of any kind. Progression is a mess; you start with access to every block, planets are the start(?) and have less rare resources, but is harder to build things on due to gravity and hold very little reason to explore once you get access to space.

It's just a big mess. They said there's a big update coming is a couple weeks (aka months) that's focused on expanding survival mode. We'll see.

To be somewhat fair, the engine rebuilds they're currently bogged down with doing need to be done now rather than after stacking a bunch of new systems on top of the existing code. Otherwise when they do go back and fix it, they get hosed over with inheritance issues from the systems built on top of the original code.

Speaking of changed code;

quote:

Hello, Engineers! The team continues to mainly focus on the next major release but in today's update we still have some nice improvements for you. Character backpacks, which could decrease the performance on highly populated servers, can now be removed from the world via the "Remove Floating Objects" function in the Space Master screen.
Due to the feedback received from last week's update, we decided to tweak thruster damage so now the "damage shape" strictly follows the visual representation of the thruster flame.
Additionally, the in-game Chinese translation was updated and other minor issues and crashes were resolved.

Fixes

Tweaked thruster damage area/range: damage shape now strictly follows visual representation of thruster flame
Backpacks can be now removed by Remove floating objects function in space master screen
fixed issue with inventory desync when moving items (wrong items position)
fixed crash when unplugging USB headset
increased maximum number of CPU particles/billboards
fixed held items not dropping on death on DS
fixed unfinished Cryo Chamber draining power
fixed flickering background screen in Character scene
fixed scrolling issue in LCDs
updated Chinese translation

Rexxar's Dev Blog
Hey guys, given the amount of discussion about thruster damage, I thought this would be a good time to explain what exactly has been going on.
The original problem was that thruster damage simply didn't work in lots of cases. It ignored some kinds of blocks, certain configurations disabled damage on the entire grid, it didn't work on servers, on and on. On top of that, the damage volume was a cylinder implemented in a bad way, which was taking a lot more CPU time than it really should have.

Over the past few weeks, we've been working on rewriting the thruster damage system from scratch. The result is that the damage system actually works. Instead of a cylinder, we used a rectangular bounding box for the damage volume. This is because our engine is designed with several very fast methods to get entities which intersect a bounding box. However, the box only checked for the entire cube volume of blocks, instead of physics intersections, which caused it to behave unexpectedly.
So we have a new solution which combines the best of both worlds. It uses the bounding box to get a rough list of entities, then a capsule shape to check for physics intersections. This isn't as performance friendly as just the box, but it's better than the original solution. The cost of the physics check is a tradeoff to make it behave realistically, but it's well worth it.

The end result is thruster damage with the same volume as before, but performs better and actually works.
We really do appreciate all the feedback you've given us over the last week :)

As for building stuff, seeing as I built the Spinner Missiles as small-block payloads for the Falcon starfighter, clearly I needed to build a large-block version.

Unlike the small-block version, this one's remote-controlled via a pair of laser antennae facing the rear with a camera in the nose. Launch it, fly it towards something you dislike, then deploy warheads on-approach.

That's three layers of reinforced armor in the target, incidentally. The warheads disperse just a shade too wide to really impact average-sized ships, so I might try lowering the spin speed to see if that tightens the grouping a little.

And while it lacks the thrust to escape 1G Gravity on its own, the missile launches fine from a low-gravity Moon at 0.25G.

Targeting things on the ground from orbit is, of course, a different matter.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I discovered the Azimuth Mega Modpack has little 1x2x1 Grinders and Welders, so it's got a new main big-ship missile. The maglock on the front (usually) locks onto whatever it hits rather than just smashing into the target, and then the Grinders just burrow on inside. Latch onto the next block in, repeat, until the warhead's countdown hits zero somewhere inside...

I love reading the tales of your creative exploits. That grinder missile sounds incredibly nasty.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ambaire posted:

I love reading the tales of your creative exploits. That grinder missile sounds incredibly nasty.

They work most of the time. Sometimes the maglock engages at an angle that the Grinders can't touch the hull and it just sits there waiting out the warhead countdown. Still does okay against light armor though.

As an extra thing; Remember how I said the big-boy missiles can't launch from planetary gravity?

I may have used that launch site for target practice with several missiles.

Are you familiar with the term "two-stage rocket"? There's only about 25% fuel left in the missile's tank by the time it escapes gravity at 40-odd kilometers, but if you cut the main Thruster past that you could still lob it at something on the moon or a ship in orbit.

And just to prove they work;

Those cruisers are shooting the hell out of something coming their way, but it's sure not the missile core and payload...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The concept of space warfare is such an interesting topic. I wonder how much delta-v something like a hellfire missile has. Or some of the longer range AA missiles like the Phoenix or the soviet K-100. Of course, those engines aren't designed to be toggled on and off... I'm a big fan of the Honor Harrington series for the detail it goes into long range space warfare stuff.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I forgot to mention here the other day that I updated SEA! https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengineers/comments/7bd3hh/mod_update_super_engineer_adventures_pirate_city/?st=j9rw17xf&sh=eddd616e

The final base is a big pirate city, with smaller outposts around it, and roads and stuff. I also added a simple tutorial-frame thing to the bases where you unlock blocks.

But now I've decided to get to work on a fresh sequel, SEA 2! This time with mods. Less planets, no more than 3 plus a moon somewhere. One planet will be the lava planet mod that melts your poo poo.

So what kind of mods should I include? Specifically, mods that add new blocks and such.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hey guys, guess what?

Another round of bugfixes. Getting up to x.8's gotta be a little embarrassing.

quote:

Hello, Engineers! We are getting extremely close to the next major release with the team reviewing the last few remaining details before we can let it loose on the community. We truly appreciate your patience with us as we prepare this update as we really want it to blow your minds!
This week's update contains a selection of fixes for issues reported by players. These issues now resolved include a crash when spawning on dedicated servers, strange behavior when shooting a rifle on a moving grid and missing mountpoints on advanced rotor blocks.

Important note for modders and scripters!
The API overhaul is nearly done, and we think you'll be excited by all the changes! Some modders were given a preview and preliminary feedback was very encouraging. However, some changes will break existing scripts! Rexxar has posted a comprehensive list of all API changes coming in the next major update, including breaking changes, and some tips on how to get your mods and scripts ready for the new API. Check out the forum post here: https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/7398158

Fixes

fixed crash when spawning on DS
fixed shooting from rifle while on a moving grid
fixed wolf attack range
fixed wolf particles when using grinder on them
fixed cockpit not highlighting properly
fixed issue with missing advanced rotor mountpoints
fixed projectile hit sound not playing properly
fixed gatling gun sound playing constantly when using SHOOT ONCE option

One neat thing from the API overhaul though;

quote:

The most exciting new feature is that Programmable blocks no longer require timers! This feature will get its own guide, but basically you can configure the PB so that it runs its script every 1, 10, or 100 ticks. This allows for some very flexible scripts, and actually improves performance! To be completely honest, I was so excited to implement this, I got the ticket on a Friday morning and worked through the weekend to turn it in that Sunday evening. This is something a lot of people have wanted for a long time and it's finally here!

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I forgot to mention here the other day that I updated SEA! https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengineers/comments/7bd3hh/mod_update_super_engineer_adventures_pirate_city/?st=j9rw17xf&sh=eddd616e

The final base is a big pirate city, with smaller outposts around it, and roads and stuff. I also added a simple tutorial-frame thing to the bases where you unlock blocks.

But now I've decided to get to work on a fresh sequel, SEA 2! This time with mods. Less planets, no more than 3 plus a moon somewhere. One planet will be the lava planet mod that melts your poo poo.

So what kind of mods should I include? Specifically, mods that add new blocks and such.

Take a look at the mod list in the OP for some suggestions, but at the bare-minimum I'd recommend the Small-Ship Mega Modpack, maybe the Azimuth Mega Modpack too, The MexPex cannon pack, and Rider's Battlecannon and Turrets Modpack. Oh and the Twin Welders/Grinders modblocks, just for a general Tier-2 construction upgrade.

edit:

Oh and some fun pics;

A quick proof-of-concept test by mounting missiles to The Red Ship. They're linked by a laser antenna for remote control.

And they launch cleanly from their mount without issue. Once it's away, you just go into the Terminal menu and select remote control on them for fly-by-wire fun.

And for something more discrete, I made a stealthy alternate version too. Even has its own stealthy first-stage booster variant for surface-to-orbit launches.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 9, 2017

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've taken a look at that list Neddy, but it's looking like I'll only be adding the twin-tools.

My issues with the small-ship megapack:
The small-ship megapack sounds like a great mod on paper, but the way it was implemented was just terrible. It doesn't follow the vanilla logic of scaling down stuff from large grid to small grid (i.e.; large connector is 1x1x1, small version is 2x3x3 - large oxy tank is 1x1x2, small oxy tank is 3x3x3). When scaling blocks down for small grids, it's usually a rule to make those blocks take more area. They're still comparatively smaller, though.

* What they've done was simply scale them down 1 to 1. Small jumpdrives should be larger, along with many other things.

* What's even worse is that they've done this with assemblers and refineries. The problem here is with conveyors. Components need large tubes to transfer items through (the 3x3 tubes), how the heck do you do that with a tiny 1x1x2 assembler? Same with basically every other block involving conveyors that they've touched. The med bay can't even he connected, but they didn't even bother removing the conveyor port from the model.

* They've also added redundant blocks that were already provided, like oxygen tanks, laser antennas, and others. This adds lots of unnecessary clutter in the g-menu, and I don't like having more blocks that do the same thing.

* some things are actually good, such as the small windows, and maybe the mini-merge as a QOL block. But those wouldn't be included in the unlock system anyway, and I know the windows have their own separate mod.

Azimuth megapack:
Same reasons as above, mostly. Redundant blocks and clutter. There's still some jewels in it, like the cockpit-seat and a few others. But they also have their separate mods and also won't be included as unlocks.

Weapon mods in general:
Oh boy I have some opinions on SE weapon mods... 99% of them are bonkers overpowered. Ridiculous range, ridiculous alpha, and ridiculous AoE every which way you look at them. Sometimes they, laughably, balance these weapons with low rate of fire or expensive ammo. Not a big deal if you can 1-shot drones and already played the miner game for a few hours.

The point is, these modded guns take the fun out of combat. You can just sit out at long range, even beyond drone spawning range, and click things dead without the base ever being able to respond. Then you swoop in and salvage what's left. Fun?

It's a big shame, too. A lot of these weapon mods look gorgeous, but are ruined with over-the-top stats. There is one weapon modpack that I'm looking at that's being balanced quite well, though...

I actually plan on typing up a big post on weapon mods soon. Like, it's like they don't even know how to balance anything.

---

I still appreciated you suggestions, Neddy. I just want my poo poo low effort scenario to look great and have some inkling of balance in it. Nothing against you, I just thought you would like to know my thoughts on them.

I do plan on having a syeam-collection of optional, highly recommended mods. Stuff that isn't included in the unlock system and other stuff. But things that show up in the world, and that get unlocked would be requirements.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I still appreciated you suggestions, Neddy. I just want my poo poo low effort scenario to look great and have some inkling of balance in it. Nothing against you, I just thought you would like to know my thoughts on them.

I do plan on having a syeam-collection of optional, highly recommended mods. Stuff that isn't included in the unlock system and other stuff. But things that show up in the world, and that get unlocked would be requirements.

S'all good :v:. But you brought up weapons and by God you're getting weapons :toughguy:.

I made a missile launch platform for the Zero-G module set (which I still need to finish), and so anyone here wanting to try them can give the missiles a go. Aim it at planets! Aim it at your friends! Remote-controlled fun for the whole family! :yayclod:

All you have to do is pair the laser antenna on the launchers with their respective missile (Launcher 1-A to Missile 1-A, etc), trigger the "Launch Missile X" timer, and then remote control it from the Shift-K menu once the missile antenna re-establishes the lock with its partner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a lot of the problems with SE combat is that it's such a drat chore to rebuild stuff.

Compared to something like From The Depths which has so much QoL stuff to facilitate building and smashing giant ships into each other. Just no comparison.

If you could wholly automate repairs it'd be one thing but you have to spend so much time collecting and storing and processing and placing resources that it puts me off ever fighting anything.

The other issue is that there's nothing to it but spamming rockets at poo poo. Again FtD has the game beat on that level with a lot more weapon variety and tradeoffs.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 10, 2017

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

The concept of space warfare is such an interesting topic. I wonder how much delta-v something like a hellfire missile has. Or some of the longer range AA missiles like the Phoenix or the soviet K-100. Of course, those engines aren't designed to be toggled on and off... I'm a big fan of the Honor Harrington series for the detail it goes into long range space warfare stuff.

I've been reading this series and I just cannot comprehend why multi-stage missiles is a new concept to them.
Like, in space, multi-stage is the absolute easiest thing to make, literally hundreds of times easier than in a gravity environment.

All you gotta do is turn your main drive off for a while and coast until you turn it back on. Why are their super smart space engineers too retarded to have thought of that?

potentially enslaved Keen programmer posted:

To be completely honest, I was so excited to implement this, I got the ticket on a Friday morning and worked through the weekend to turn it in that Sunday evening.

Does this dude need to be rescued?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Rexxar is a funny guy. He hangs out in the Discord and seems to have a decent sense of humor. I really am grateful for all the fixes and changes coming to the Programmable Block, here--even if it means I'm going to have to spend hours re-tooling my scripts.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

McGiggins posted:

I've been reading this series and I just cannot comprehend why multi-stage missiles is a new concept to them.
Like, in space, multi-stage is the absolute easiest thing to make, literally hundreds of times easier than in a gravity environment.

All you gotta do is turn your main drive off for a while and coast until you turn it back on. Why are their super smart space engineers too retarded to have thought of that?

Like most things about space, this intuitively simple method won't work. When you turn a main drive off in space fuel is no longer being pushed toward the rear of the rocket and floats freely around in the tank. This means the fuel pump will not have access to it and the rocket won't re-ignite. To combat this, you can add pressurised-gas thrusters to start the acceleration and settle the fuel to the back of the tank. Adding stuff like this severely affects delta v though, so your missile will have lower acceleration or much less burn time to compensate.

Of course, spacecraft in the Honor Harrington series have magic drives that don't use reaction mass, so the real reason is that it's impossible to write more clever tactics than the author can think of. For the hero to seem clever, the opposition - and thus society as a whole - must use worse tactics than the author can think of. Sometimes this comes off really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Today is a black day for Engineers; Our Great Dark God of Chaos, Klang the Destroyer... HAS BEEN SLAIN!

quote:

Summary
With today’s major update we are releasing a large overhaul to the physics in Space Engineers. The update is primarily focusing on pistons, rotors, landing gears, and grid deformations. These mechanics have been a top priority for the SE team during the last year - to have these things be as robust, stable, and intuitive as possible. The game’s physics are now more stable and creations shouldn't break, explode or do uncontrollable things under normal conditions with default settings.
You can read about the changes to physics in great technical detail on Marek Rosa’s blog: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/physics.html

Additionally, the Mod API and Programmable Block API has received some massive updates in this release so be sure to check it out if you are a modder or a scripter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OL4PDGJMpQ

Features:

new physical overhaul for pistons and rotor blocks
new deformation optimizations for armor blocks
asynchronous grids and voxels streaming on server: fixing server lagging while connecting new clients
added new check box in advanced settings for enabling Sub-grid damage (enabling or disabling sub-grids damaging main grid)
added new check box in advanced settings for enabling Turret Friendly Damage (friendly fire for turrets on/off)
added new warning for worlds with „Unsafe Grids"
increased Laser Antenna range to 200 km (making planet to moon communication possible)
major changes to the ModApi
changed tree LOD
ModAPI changes and guides: https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/modapi-and-pb-api-changes-nov-2017.7398158/

Art:

tweaked Drill block texture on lower and medium settings
improved lodding for Armor
fixed Digital Camo skin not having emissive boots

Fixes:

fixed Steam achievements
fixed crash when extending piston with a rotor on a fast moving grid
fixed crash when a piston head breaks on DS
fixed crash when disconnection antenna from a grid with a solar panel
fixed crash when merging or unmerging grids on a moving grid
fixed corner case crash when teleporting over large distance on DS
fixed corner case crash when attempting to join a friends game
fixed sim speed drop with large amount of blocks in constant velocity
fixed sim speed drop when shooting grids on DS
fixed sim speed drop when placing large amount of Sliding Doors
fixed memory leak when taking screenshot
fixed that attaching sub-grid to ships on planets makes them fall
fixed multiple issues with piston and piston heads causing clang on static or moving ships
fixed issues with rotor and piston heads were desynchronizing when attached to a fast moving grid
fixed piston clipping through grids when trying to push them away
fixed being able to place blocks inside of piston extended parts
fixed issue with shaking ships when rotors and pistons are unlocked
fixed issue with disappering static pistons when connected with another piston and extended
fixed merge blocks not merging properly when attached to a grid on a rotor
fixed issue with multiple merge blocks attempting to merge with another grid using multiple pistons
fixed issue with merge block phasing through another merge block when on a extended piston
fixed being able to alter unclamped values in saves and blueprint files
fixed scripts being able to change ore types in cargo containers
fixed issues with blueprints from workshop not being pasted properly or at all
fixed shaking off ship after using Jump drive on DS with two players
fixed Gatling Gun block not doing any damage on DS
fixed invulnerability not working on DS
fixed disappering items when using conveyor belts on DS
fixed stuttering on DS each 10 km when flying
fixed phasing through voxel material with LG
fixed LG making block invulnerable to thruster damage
fixed rotor „add rotor head/wheel“ exploit for steel plates
fixed issue with mirroring half-blocks
fixed issue with moving platform moves without moving the player
fixed fighter cockpit having clipping issue with the player model when accelerating
fixed model exporter
fixed issues with sensor

Fixes from player reports:

fixed crash for modded blocks with custom GUI controls
fixed crash when building block through PB and Projector
fixed corner case crash when exiting the game
fixed desync issue on DS when using spectator camera
fixed Oxygen bottles not syncing on DS
fixed deformable blocks dissapearing or being invulnerable
fixed shaking and clang issue with pistons and rotors for mods that go over 100 m/s limit
fixed unmerging causing rotor head to disconnect from rotor
fixed piston shaking when too much strain is put on it
fixed piston sound not stopping after being extended
fixed gatling gun block being able to shoot itself in certain cases
fixed scripts being unable to access blocks connected via rotors and pistons
fixed script compiler not handling sub folders properly when uploading to the Steam Workshop
fixed AI for Spiders not engaging when spawned via script

• Locked thread