Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why is it stupid? It should be 500 feet right

I think that's called a cliff or if you're being fancy with the architecture, a parapet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Choco1980 posted:

I once heard a rumor it stood for North East West South, but it was a pretty suspect rumor so I doubt it.

It's actually an anagram for seamstresses in their craft.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Or a doctor's office with no phone reception and a 20 minute wait :suicide:

Every doctor's office I've ever been to has that one single coverless copy of Aku Ankka 7/1993 you have to fight everyone else over because the rest of the magazine bin is full of trade magazines with names like CANCER WEEKLY and advertisement brochures about hearing aids.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Zoe Kazan is the granddaughter of Elia Kazan

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Jerry Cotton posted:

Perhaps, if you go by Readers' Digest's definition of joke instead of the normal one that implies there's at least a smidgeon of humour involved.

The green stuff in a lobster is just a smidgen of one of its humours.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Besesoth posted:

Those place names are pretty easy to pronounce once you figure out that the pronunciation has come decoupled from the root. "Gloucester" looks like it should be "glou" + "cester", right? That's where the word came from - the fort at Glevum, "Glevum" + "castrum".

But the pronunciation shifted to place the "ce" in the first syllable, so it's pronounced "Glouce" ("gloss") + "ster" = "glosster". The same goes for other place names with the same pattern, like Leicester: "Leice" ("less") + "ster" = "lester".

With "shire" you just have to remember that the "i" is short in place names. So "Gloucestershire" becomes, pronunciationally, "glouce" + "ster" + "shire" = "gloss" + "ster" + "sher" = "glosstersher"; Leicestershire is "lestersher", etc.

Now explain how Rutherfordton in North Carolina is pronounced "Ruffton"

Or Nagadotches in Louisiana is Nakadish.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Oct 23, 2017

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
There’s a town nearby called “Norfolk.”

If you don’t pronounce it “Norfork” no one within at least 100 miles will know what you’re talking about.

e: We’ve also got “Madrid” with stress exactly where it shouldn’t be and the rarely heard trisyllabic “Moira” with emphasis on the “eye.”

burial has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Oct 23, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

If you don’t pronounce it “Norfork” no one within at least 100 miles will know what you’re talking about.

e: We’ve also got “Madrid” with stress exactly where it shouldn’t be and the rarely heard trisyllabic “Moira” with emphasis on the “eye.”

My brother-in-law is from O'Neil and his and my sister's wedding was at his dad's farm there. I learned these pronunciations (well, Norfork, anyway) in addition to having my personal conception of "middle of nowhere" completely redefined.

Theris has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Oct 23, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Norfolk, Virginia is pronounced as “Norfick” locally

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Norfolk, Virginia is pronounced as “Norfick” locally

The county of Norfolk in England is pronounced "norfuck".
There's a slight difference in the "-uck" that stops it sounding precisely like "gently caress", but I can't think of a way to transcribe it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Theris posted:

My brother-in-law is from O'Neil and his and my sister's wedding was at his dad's farm there. I learned these pronunciations (well, Norfork, anyway) in addition to having my personal conception of "middle of nowhere" completely redefined.

Jesus. All this tells me is that there’s more than one assfuck middle of nowhere with a “norfork.” A truly sobering discovery.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

There's a slight difference in the "-uck" that stops it sounding precisely like "gently caress", but I can't think of a way to transcribe it.
We've got a major road/state highway named "Gratiot" whose second syllable is pronounced precisely like "poo poo". It's fun when out-of-towners try to maneuver delicately around it until a local tells them it's okay to step right in it. As it were.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

We've got a major road/state highway named "Gratiot" whose second syllable is pronounced precisely like "poo poo". It's fun when out-of-towners try to maneuver delicately around it until a local tells them it's okay to step right in it. As it were.

It's also fun when people find out 8 Mile Road is not like, a neighborhood

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

CannonFodder posted:

Or Barberville, KY, pronounced by locals as "Barvull".

And let's not even get into Versailles, where the "sailles" is like boat sails.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hirayuki posted:

All the French street names around Detroit are pronounced wrong.

Gratiot
Dequindre
Charlevoix
Dix

Also "Detroit" itself.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zero One posted:

All the French street names around Detroit are pronounced wrong.

Gratiot
Dequindre
Charlevoix
Dix

Also "Detroit" itself.
Beaubien, Livernois... But it's not just French! Case in point: Schoenherr. Also "Heydenreich" which seems easy enough to pronounce properly, but I still hear people say it "HEY den, Rich."

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

CannonFodder posted:

It's Natchitoches, but yeah. Nakadish. I am pretty sure it's a Native American word, which may explain some confusion.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nacho dishes are great

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

The_White_Crane posted:

What you're looking for is the schwa, a.k.a. English's secret favorite vowel.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hirayuki posted:

Beaubien, Livernois... But it's not just French! Case in point: Schoenherr. Also "Heydenreich" which seems easy enough to pronounce properly, but I still hear people say it "HEY den, Rich."

Oh, the Midwest's got plenty. See Valparaiso, IN ("val puh RAY zoh") and Cairo, IL ("KAY roh").

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I live in Oklahoma so we have fun things like Okmulgee and Tahlequah. I never thought twice about it until I started hearing people from outside the region try to pronounce them

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

purple death ray posted:

I live in Oklahoma so we have fun things like Okmulgee and Tahlequah. I never thought twice about it until I started hearing people from outside the region try to pronounce them

AWK-mull-gee and tah-LOO-kuh?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Christ, no

Okmulgee is Oak-MULL-gee with a hard g. Tahlequah is TAL-eh-kwah.

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Oct 23, 2017

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

In Ohio:

• Berlin, with the emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle
  • Ghent, with a soft g
  • Lima, with a long i
  • Mantua, prounounced MANooway
  • Medina, with a long i
  • Toledo, with a long e

There's probably more that I can't think of at the moment. Then there's Worcester, but it's spelled Wooster :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Titus Sardonicus posted:

In Ohio:

• Berlin, with the emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle
  • Ghent, with a soft g
  • Lima, with a long i
  • Mantua, prounounced MANooway
  • Medina, with a long i
  • Toledo, with a long e

There's probably more that I can't think of at the moment. Then there's Worcester, but it's spelled Wooster :v:

I went to the College of Wooster and everyone not from Ohio assumes I went to school in Massachusetts. The main drag is Beall Avenue, pronounced Bell.

There's also Newark, pronounced "Nurk"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My wife’s parents live near Bellefontaine, OH and they pronounce it bell fountain.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The midwest is insane. I live a little west of detroit and have near me Saline (suh-LEEN) and Milan (MY-luhn).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My two favorites from my time in Nebraska: Beatrice (Bee-at-riss, with heavy emphasis on the "at") and Papillion (pronounced in phonetic English, nowhere close to French).

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

There is a Cairo (Kay-Roh) here in GA as well. My grandmother lives a few miles up the road from me in Houston (House-Ton) county.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Antivehicular posted:

My two favorites from my time in Nebraska: Beatrice (Bee-at-riss, with heavy emphasis on the "at") and Papillion (pronounced in phonetic English, nowhere close to French).

Papillion pronounced exactly the same as Pavilion? That's a new one to me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

The midwest is insane. I live a little west of detroit and have near me Saline (suh-LEEN) and Milan (MY-luhn).

And Lake Orion (ORE-ee-un)! :v:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's also Newark, pronounced "Nurk"

Nobody can agree on how to pronounce Newark. In New Jersey it's "NOO erk", in Delaware it's "NEW ark" (and they get mad if you pronounce it "NOO erk").

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Memento posted:

Papillion pronounced exactly the same as Pavilion? That's a new one to me.

Yes. Their high school mascot is the Monarchs, but it's a weird cartoon king, so I'm guessing someone there is actively spiting the concept of butterflies.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's a "CHI-lie" outside Rochester, NY. Because you couldn't pronounce Chili literally any other way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
To break away from regional name quirks, I just learned that the announcers in the Backyard sports games are supposed to be kids too. I always thought they were random adults providing commentary for this kids league. Maybe it’s Sunny Day’s professional looking outfit that threw me.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'd known about ballad/common meter, but I keep discovering new pop-culture uses of it; my kid just came in singing the "Pokémon" theme song to the tune of "Amazing Grace". :psyduck:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Besesoth posted:

I'd known about ballad/common meter, but I keep discovering new pop-culture uses of it; my kid just came in singing the "Pokémon" theme song to the tune of "Amazing Grace". :psyduck:

Like the way you can sing all Emily Dickinson poems to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I love when people try to pronounce Okeechobee down in South Florida. Anyone not from here trys to say "OH-KEE-CHU-BEE" where it's "OH-KA-CHO-BE"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Weembles posted:

Like the way you can sing all Emily Dickinson poems to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas?

What do you mean, "can"? That's not intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

swordfish duelist posted:

I love when people try to pronounce Okeechobee down in South Florida. Anyone not from here trys to say "OH-KEE-CHU-BEE" where it's "OH-KA-CHO-BE"

Then why are there two Es? The second set of two Es plays by the rules. Why can't the first?