Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This new episode of Discovery is loving stupid. Logic extremists? More Vulcan psychic poo poo? They hit the captain checking on the new guy's record twice, so I suspect his record will turn out to be fake he's a spy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

Continues looks really good, like bang on almost all the time, and the actors by and large aren't completely awful which is all you can really hope for when they're just aping previous, better actors. And its heart is in the right place which is good to see. But the scripts aren't great and there are weird pacing issues in almost every episode. As far as fan productions go I think that's about as good it will ever get, it's seriously impressive as a passion project.

Continues is helped by having pound for pound more professional actors than any other fan film, even if some of them do more VA work than anything else.

Also the new episode is out. It's the first of a two parter, which will be the end of their series. Looks like CBS is letting them finish out.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Discovery is really predictable. They're sending out all the signals that the dude is a traitor. It's also a point that the Klingon captain that "had a thing for him" didn't die but was burned badly. This guy is a bad guy.

I kind of like the show overall. Here's a general observation. Everyone has pimples and pores and realistically gross stubble. Does this show have unusual makeup? Is it that there's a ton of face closeups?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I do like that Lorca is loving nuts. It seems like the season will probably end with some kind of Crimson Tide scenario where Burnham stages a mutiny for the right reasons.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Rascals. I found it weird that he specifically took Ro, Keiko, and Guinan with him on archaeological shore leave, not only because it seems so arbitrary but also because they're all secondary characters and women.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

the gently caress

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 7, episode 11 "Prodigal Daughter"

I realized watching this that I don't think there's really been an Ezri episode yet. Once again I fell victim to the nerd hivemind hyperbole, unless the back half of the season is loaded with Ezri episodes.

Episode 12 "The Emperor's New Cloak"

Pro: Zek. Con: mirror universe. Result: ambivalence. Zek didn't get a lot to do, so on balance, still a negative.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Jago posted:

Here's a general observation. Everyone has pimples and pores and realistically gross stubble. Does this show have unusual makeup? Is it that there's a ton of face closeups?

Clearly dermatology for men and soft lens technologies for women over 22 are invented in the 9 years leading to Kirk.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Rascals.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

the gently caress

Yea, that's about right.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

True Confession Time:

When I was younger and watching the first runs of Star Trek, I found early DS9 "boring" and preferred TNG. It wasn't til later that I got into it. I don't think I even saw a lot of the first seasons, til S4 or so.

I'm watching some early episodes on Heroes and Icons, and I gotta say, Sisko owns, even before he was bald and a captain, which was when I thought he came into his own. All these episodes are drat strong!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jago posted:

I kind of like the show overall. Here's a general observation. Everyone has pimples and pores and realistically gross stubble. Does this show have unusual makeup? Is it that there's a ton of face closeups?

No one shaves during the playoffs or wartime.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can't even imagine how big of a deal this must have been for the young actor who got to play Picard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't get why Crusher's so adamant Picard needs to step down, it's coming off as obnoxious

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can't even imagine how big of a deal this must have been for the young actor who got to play Picard

He had already played Picard's nephew, in that episode where Jean-Luc goes home to the vineyard.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hahahaha

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

OBrien.jpg

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

He also played Picard's nephew in "Family!" :eng101:

The scene where Riker fast-talks Nog some random Ferengi is so beautiful.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh Jesus when their kid doesn't recognize her. That'd be so devastating

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard admiring his luxurious hair

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gonz posted:

Not pictured: Geordi LaForge with roboeyes approaching nearby to ask him about his Irumodic Syndrome

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/922160388925468680

p.stew is really good at the internet. I enjoyed his photoshop feud with Thomas Middlebitch.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard's looking a gift horse so hard in the mouth. He just got a cheat code for thirty extra years of prime life

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Didn't they know enough about genetics in the 90s not to have to make the stuff up out of whole cloth like this

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Picard's looking a gift horse so hard in the mouth. He just got a cheat code for thirty extra years of prime life

Picard hates joy.

He had to be ordered to take one vacation in 7 years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Didn't they know enough about genetics

The Star Trek writers' answer is always no.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Kid Guinan actress is killing it

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

It iust dawned on me that O'Brien has seen:
His wife become a child
His child become a woman
His offspring populate a planet and then unexist
His cellmate die needlessly
Etc etc

O'Brien must suffer

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What why are there Klingons there shooting at them

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh it's... Ferengi...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Imagine having to go through high school again, but with the mind of a mature adult.

It would be hell on earth.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol the Ferengi just beaming to himself in Picard's chair

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

WampaLord posted:

Imagine having to go through high school again, but with the mind of a mature adult.

Would it? With your developed adult mind that's less of a bubbling cauldron of hormones, maybe you could outsmart all the teenagers and take over the high school

actually no nevermind, you'd just get shoved in the locker and laughed at, forget that

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WampaLord posted:

Why would he have to go to school just because his body is that of a twelve year old? His mind is unaffected. Spend some time doing archaeological research and reading or something until he's physically adult again so people will take him seriously then resume career with a bunch of extra decades on the ol' lifespan.

Keiko is the only one with a compelling reason to be restored.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is a nice little adventure

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WampaLord posted:

I imagine Picard would have to spend a few years redeveloping while letting his skills lapse - though he could probably work as an archeologist in an academic sense in the mean-time - and then, what, what does he do in the academy? It'd be weird. Maybe he didn't want to be weird.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Alexander taps on the DaiMon's glass and without hesitation he gets up and starts chasing him with his gun out :stare:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how the federation is all about not judging species by their looks and understanding different cultures and being accepting, but a fully adult federation captain that looks like a 13 year old is enough for the doctor to demand he resign because no one would take him seriously simply based on his looks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol Picard's tantrum

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode just got amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I like how the federation is all about not judging species by their looks and understanding different cultures and being accepting, but a fully adult federation captain that looks like a 13 year old is enough for the doctor to demand he resign because no one would take him seriously simply based on his looks.

Wasn't that the entire plot of a TOS episode? The one with the giant balls ship?