Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Poil posted:

Speaking of that, are the quotes properly read out again this patch?

You get to hear them twice every time you research a tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Urgh, don't remind me of simshitty. But I wouldn't say Civ6 is quite THAT bad.

ded posted:

You get to hear them twice every time you research a tech.
Well, at least they work again. I'm not even going to bother asking why they go twice but I'm going to assume it's something like the "pro"grammer just copy&pasted in the lines from a template and for some unrelated reason the original problem got fixed accidentally during another part of the patching or dlc'ing process.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
When the turn comes up you hear it then when the card for the tech comes up it goes again. It's a bit odd.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Are there any good map scripts? All the map mods I seem to see on the workshop seem to be real world type maps instead of a random map generator.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Need more civs like Indonesia. The fact that I can USE all these coast tiles is bordering on OP. Its very awesome.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Koryk posted:

Are there any good map scripts? All the map mods I seem to see on the workshop seem to be real world type maps instead of a random map generator.

My favorite was Detailed Worlds but it broke in the previous patch; no water resources would spawn. I did a quick search for other random map generators but I can't find any either, which is a shame because the default map gen makes really bland maps.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Kalko posted:

My favorite was Detailed Worlds but it broke in the previous patch; no water resources would spawn. I did a quick search for other random map generators but I can't find any either, which is a shame because the default map gen makes really bland maps.

I wondered what was going on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jastiger posted:

Need more civs like Indonesia. The fact that I can USE all these coast tiles is bordering on OP. Its very awesome.

Yeah, Indonesia's awesome.

Indonesia with Aukland giving +1 production to coast tiles is loving broken.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Taear posted:

Most of the disagreement is from you though.
You didn't see arguments like this in the Civ4 thread because the AI wouldn't declare war on you when you're a warmonger and they're last in ranking overall and you're first.

I'm actually trying to think of arguments in the Civ 4 threads I've been to that don't include BtS, that expansion that the Civ 5 guy did.

Protective is bad? Vassal States are annoying?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

And like, Beyond the Sword isn't bad, especially going through the list of poo poo it adds.

Good: The Civs, leaders, buildings techs and units are all neat (someone more well versed in late game balance can tell me how much they actually gently caress up the game). Only real bad part of is you get Sid Meier doing the voices but whatever. Improved AI is neat and Advanced Start and Unrestricted Leaders are loving legit.

Whatever: Colonies, Corporations (I just always run State Property and I've never played a late game multiplayer game where this poo poo came into play, but apparently they're completely busted)

Bad poo poo: I would say early/expanded Spies are the worst mechanic put into this game (god I hate them) but the Apostolic Palace exists, where someone can just spread Buddhism to a single one of your cities and then do the world's worst backdoor diplomacy victory. Also them adding extra turns onto a Space Race victory is just wtf but it did make Sullla go insane in an AI game so it's worth it I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I always play with espionage turned off. I don't like how it converts spy points to culture points and so everyone gets free extra culture from their palace... but it's way more tolerable than the espionage system. Ugh.

Also I always play with unrestricted leaders and random personalities these days. It's fun having to figure out who my neighbors are instead of just going "oh, it's Churchill" or "uh oh it's Monty, better gear up".

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I found BtS fun, but it was also an inelegant mess.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

I always play with espionage turned off. I don't like how it converts spy points to culture points and so everyone gets free extra culture from their palace... but it's way more tolerable than the espionage system. Ugh.

Also I always play with unrestricted leaders and random personalities these days. It's fun having to figure out who my neighbors are instead of just going "oh, it's Churchill" or "uh oh it's Monty, better gear up".

Unrestricted Leaders is my favorite option. I'll usually keep the personalities intact though.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao at this goon believing we are getting paid for thinking that quite some goons are crying and crying because "I'm not a warmonger ughhhhh".

Hot opinion tho: civ 1/2/3/4/5/6 are cool and good.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

turboraton posted:

Lmao at this goon believing we are getting paid for thinking that quite some goons are crying and crying because "I'm not a warmonger ughhhhh".

Hot opinion tho: civ 1/2/SMAC/3/4/5/6 are cool and good.

You left one out there.

I really wish I could include Beyond Earth on that list. It had potential and I had fun playing it, but ultimately it ended up being a mess of ideas that could be described as "interesting but not really thought out" that limited the replayability for me.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Let's be real, SMAC is one tier above all civs.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I haven't played Civ VI in months but randomly seeing some videos pop up about the Indonesia/Khmer DLC has me craving to play again but is Civ VI worth spending time on versus going back to V with something like Vox Populi?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

nessin posted:

I haven't played Civ VI in months but randomly seeing some videos pop up about the Indonesia/Khmer DLC has me craving to play again but is Civ VI worth spending time on versus going back to V with something like Vox Populi?

Newest patch fixed the most egregious of bugs and the balance is slowly (very slowly?) getting somewhere sensible. It's essentially the same game as launch though with a few rough edges filed off.

Latest patch fixed religious units clogging up the hexes by putting them on their own layer, which to me is already a Godsend.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chucat posted:

And like, Beyond the Sword isn't bad, especially going through the list of poo poo it adds.

Good: The Civs, leaders, buildings techs and units are all neat (someone more well versed in late game balance can tell me how much they actually gently caress up the game). Only real bad part of is you get Sid Meier doing the voices but whatever. Improved AI is neat and Advanced Start and Unrestricted Leaders are loving legit.

Whatever: Colonies, Corporations (I just always run State Property and I've never played a late game multiplayer game where this poo poo came into play, but apparently they're completely busted)

Bad poo poo: I would say early/expanded Spies are the worst mechanic put into this game (god I hate them) but the Apostolic Palace exists, where someone can just spread Buddhism to a single one of your cities and then do the world's worst backdoor diplomacy victory. Also them adding extra turns onto a Space Race victory is just wtf but it did make Sullla go insane in an AI game so it's worth it I guess.
Colonial expenses were completely busted and I forget if they were fixed or if vassal states just have to be turned off.

Corporations are extremely broken and its very telling that the Realms Beyond mod just disables them entirely and nerfs spies to only reveal whatever is on the tile they are standing on.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

nessin posted:

I played about 10 hours this weekend, and I'm over it until the next patch. It was fun, but only because I had an itch to play it. It's still a bland, sloppy game, but at least it can be a little fun after the last patch.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

The Human Crouton posted:

I played about 10 hours this weekend, and I'm over it until the next patch. It was fun, but only because I had an itch to play it. It's still a bland, sloppy game, but at least it can be a little fun after the last patch.

Pretty much how I feel as well. It's too bad, there's definite potential.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The game is better than it was at launch. The AI does seem a bit more aggressive and some of the changes have helped. Late game still sucks but that's every single Civ game ever.

Is it still impossible to form a religion on the higher levels? I want to go for a religious victory but it was such a pain in the rear end to get a great prophet on games with 8 civs.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

I forgot to mention. The AI also built 0 ships in these games as well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I can do it reasonably reliably on emperor difficulty and standard map sizes. My typical build order is scout-worker-settler-religious district-shrine; then in the second city I do worker-religious district-shrine; then I just set my capital to do that repeating project, which gives you extra faith per turn and a lump sum of great prophet points every time you finish it. The extra lumps of points almost always get you over the line for the second last or last religion.

The main complication is if Saladin is on the map, since then you’re effectively competing for 4 positions.

I wish I knew which the low faith leaders were though.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I wish I knew which the low faith leaders were though.

Looking through the data it looks like the following:

Alexander
Gilgamesh
Gorgo
John Curtin
Pericles
Qin Shi Huang
Roosevelt
Trajan
Victoria

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chucat posted:

i used to use state property in vanilla and warlords, but it becomes tremendously outdated once corporations are introduced. they're some of the most powerful gameplay elements in the entire game. you don't really need the palace distance maintenance reduction because you get versailles and forbidden palace. the extra hammers are nice, but unless your entire empire is windmills and watermills, you can more than make up for it with the massive hammer bonus you get from mining inc or creative conventions.

corporations are like brutal, aggressive religions that give you massive bonuses but, with intelligent application, can be used to slam opponent civs with a massive economic malus that can force them into an undesirable civic like mercantilism. the more you found, the more powerful you become, and the fewer your opponents will be able to own.

the balance is that the founder also pays gpt for every corporation in a city, but with free market and wall street in the headquarters city, spreading it to yourself is basically neutral. spreading civ jewellers (because it produces extra gpt) actually brings more income than it costs to upkeep and is a critical component in the lategame dream of 100% science.

state property is a top tier og civ 4 civic, but unless you're continually beaten to founding corporations (or get extremely unlucky with GP spawns so you simply can't, even though your enemies can't either), or you need it to keep an enemy civ from crippling you with their own corps, BNW state property is :barf:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So is religious warfare completely stupid? You send a bunch of missionaries and apostles to convert a city. Then all it takes is for one inquisitor to use one of their charges to eliminate all that religion you put in it.

And does the AI cheat in this area? I can pull up to a city with nothing around. Magically they create 3 inquisitors that can attack me on the same turn.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Niwrad posted:

And does the AI cheat in this area?
Yes. It cheats more than it does not.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

And I found out a way to not get crushed by inquisitors or apostles, just sit in water. Apparently they can't do poo poo if you're just spreading your religion from the coastline.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Religion should be passive, says I.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

John F Bennett posted:

You mean, like, "Build a temple and the waves of Zoroastrianism emanate out and convert people"? I could get behind that, I feel they shoved units into too many parts of Civ - religion, trade and tile improvements don't need units on the map, trade and religion could just happen, and tile improvements should be directly bought with gold.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Anyone else get this item on steam? "50% OFF Civilization VI Digital Deluxe"
It says it is tradeable, if anyone wants it I could send it I guess.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I saw there was a big patch and came to ask if this game was good yet? I played it for a weekend or two after release and didn't like it. Last time I asked here the answer was 'nothing much has changed'.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

nothing much has changed

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

There are plugins in steamworkshop that make the game much less tedious. Still the same root game though.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

i also haven't played for a while. Have they done anything about the build times for buildings and repairing damaged districts? I remember pillaging districts essentially meant the AI would never again be able to repair them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John F Bennett posted:

religion should be a cross between civ 4 and civ 5 imo. found your religion and enjoy the founder benefits and its unique passive, and everyone who it gets spread to can build your building and your missionaries to spread it more. after constructing your building, they get your minor passive. no limit to how many religions you can have in a city, but the missionary spread chance gets reduced by (<number of present religions> * (80/<maximum world religions>))% for each religion in a city.

remove religious victory, or even religious aggression. zero-sum religions is loving stupid and it's just another way for the AI to prance around you saying "i'm not touching you i'm not touching you!!!" until you nuke them into glow-in-the-dark dust

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I always thought religions should start outside of the player's control and grow organically. You can adopt a religion and gain it's bonuses and make declare war on heathens, proselytize and whatnot, or change religions to conform to your cities majority opinion or try and gain the different/better bonuses of a minority religion. You could choose how much you support the religion- heavy support gives you the most bonuses, but increases unrest in cities without that religion and friction with civs with other religions, while more religious freedom makes people generally happier, but without the religion specific bonuses that can be helpful.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

nothing much has changed

Except the religious game actually got more tedious and made the whole game even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Those are all some great suggestions regarding religion. I'm still baffled about the direction Firaxis has taken.

Where did they get the idea?