Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

zoux posted:

From all available evidence LeBron James appears to be nearing his peak.

Ok well that still doesn't buy them a championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So I've seen a couple of people here say that the Lakers want Lebrun but I can't find any articles about that. Why would they want him? Isn't he kind of nearing the end of his career? And buying one allstar won't win a championship so why not focus on what you have and build and make the playoffs then bring in that expensive player to finish the job the year after?

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/29/16382606/lebron-james-los-angeles-lakers-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-free-agency

He's still the best player in the league and looks like he has a half decade left in the tank.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/DrewShiller/status/922655926649200640

But did he build equity with ownership?

I think not :smug:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikecwright/status/922659093642399744

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao what the gently caress is this

https://streamable.com/emmfh

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jacky Purtel is actually good at basketball and I was a fool for comparing him to Psycho T last year. #notallwhites

The Raptor starters are still struggling with any offensive rhythm. At least the bench is looking awesome and the motion stuff really suits them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

the_american_dream posted:

https://youtu.be/40YkCQcMCpQ

Should be posted even when not relevant to the topic

LADIES

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Away all Goats posted:

Jesus christ seriously? The loving ego to ruin a pass, and then point down the court and tell the team that it was their turn over.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 24, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
LeBron's best year was 2009 and it might be the best season any player ever put up

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

hot take: that Jordan Bell dunk owns and if the Mavs weren't happy about it they should have played better :colbert:

also the best LeBron season is 12-13 no question

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://streamable.com/amp_player/6hhop

Why is he playing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please don't post jordan bell content in this thread without a warning

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

That shot does not look comfortable at all

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

seriously, I think Fultz has to be hurt and he's trying to play through it for some dumb reason. or, he's changed his jumper so much he's just trying to find rhythm with it

it makes no sense in either case, why isn't he sitting until he's right/unbricks himself

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

doesn't sound like people in this thread are trusting The Process

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Carlosologist posted:

seriously, I think Fultz has to be hurt and he's trying to play through it for some dumb reason. or, he's changed his jumper so much he's just trying to find rhythm with it

it makes no sense in either case, why isn't he sitting until he's right/unbricks himself

Was Fultz the guy who secretly changed his jump shot over the summer?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So I've seen a couple of people here say that the Lakers want Lebrun but I can't find any articles about that. Why would they want him? Isn't he kind of nearing the end of his career? And buying one allstar won't win a championship so why not focus on what you have and build and make the playoffs then bring in that expensive player to finish the job the year after?

Because LeBron is a one man finals appearance

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

doesn't sound like people in this thread are trusting The Process

The Process is never letting rookies play. This is the anti-Process.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

just watched the Bell dunk

the Bulls front office should be arrested and also in jail

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Fultz is hurt, he’s said that he’s hurt the coaches have said that he’s hurt. He hasn’t shot from beyond 15 feet that I’ve seen

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

GobiasIndustries posted:

Was Fultz the guy who secretly changed his jump shot over the summer?

Fultz is the guy I'll I worry about in February if he's not awesome. Just going to enjoy embiid and Simmons for now

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

Because LeBron is a one man finals appearance

LeBron it's going to take the minimum to play for the Sixers next year

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

straight up brolic posted:

Fultz is hurt, he’s said that he’s hurt the coaches have said that he’s hurt. He hasn’t shot from beyond 15 feet that I’ve seen

I have no idea why so many people seem to have trouble just admitting he's hurt. It's interesting.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Man we all laughed at Ainge

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

NotWearingPants posted:

hell i would

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

suns what the gently caress are you guys even doding

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Through four games Giannis is marginally ahead of everyone in 2P and FT scoring:
code:
2NP+FTNP	Player			Season
44.4		Giannis Antetokounmpo	2017-18
44.24		Michael Jordan		1989-90
43.8		Michael Jordan		1991-92
39.04		Charles Barkley		1989-90
37.24		Adrian Dantley		1984-85

The B_36 posted:

On the other hand, throwing your mouthpiece when you get frustrated is something a petulant child does, and he's done it multiple times. They should double the fine each time he does it again.

Add one zero each time.

Vintage 2017 Bulls Wade needs a jetpack to catch one of Love's passes:
https://twitter.com/StephNoh/status/922116625704333312/video/1

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
spurs got another grind out, sloppy win tonight

the big takeaways are

1) engaged lamarcus. he was a bit awol for the beginning of the game, but after a heated moment and double tech with ibaka, aldridge put in a marvelous and 1 in ibaka's grill to basically seal the game away. liking what i'm seeing from him this year much more than last.

2) danny green scoring in a variety of ways. he had 17 points tonight and did it by driving, shooting midrange, and of course the 3 ball. if he can average above 14 points a game its going to make a big difference for the spurs. especially since he's showing he's no longer so 1 dimensional

3) dejounte murray. i wasn't so sure about this guy. but now i'm really sure about this guy. he does everything, including being a vocal leader. we had a good chuckle after lamarcus' tech when murray was walking him away. pop came over to say it was all good, and dejounte (lightly) pushed him away as if to say "i got this." the kid has balls and wants to be great. he had 15 rebounds at point guard and something similar in points. lowery went hard at him all night and murray showed some serious poise for a 20 year old. very impressive.

4) rudy gay is an amazing asset to bring in off the bench and also close games. i can't wait to see a murray/green/leonard/gay/aldridge lineup. that is going to be really cool.

5) manu ginobili is a basketball god. the man is basketball christ come to earth to play basketball for our sins. he was the only reasons the spurs were in the game and did everything from steals, to scoring, to blocks, to rebounds, to drawing charges. the man is a treasure and everyone should take every single opportunity they have to watch him play. he's a really special player. dude is balling out and carrying a team at 40 years old. amazing.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Metapod posted:

remember while at lsu simmons's teammates didn't care and sucked so the media questioned if he really was worthy of the number 1 pick lol

Isn’t Simmons literally the only number one pick ever to have played for major school and failed to make the NCAA tournament? I don’t really see that criticism as laughable since it is literally an unprecedented failure for someone of that prospect tier.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

Small sample or new man? If he keeps it up (or just shoots like ~80%) that's probably enough to have won the Pistons enough games to make the playoffs last year, and easily this year.

Yea, if he's bumped up to 80% FT shooting the Pistons probably would've won ~4-7 more games and made the playoffs.

Away all Goats posted:

:lol:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Libertine posted:

Isn’t Simmons literally the only number one pick ever to have played for major school and failed to make the NCAA tournament?

Fultz

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

NotWearingPants posted:

Just imagine LeBron with Simmons and a healthy Embiid

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Libertine posted:

Isn’t Simmons literally the only number one pick ever to have played for major school and failed to make the NCAA tournament? I don’t really see that criticism as laughable since it is literally an unprecedented failure for someone of that prospect tier.

LSU as a "major school" is a stretch imo

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's good for us from :australia: to have an Aussie to get excited about in the NBA, now that Bogut is broken and Exum doesn't look like he'll be good.
Other than Delly and Joe Ingles of course, but I wouldn't call my feelings for them excitement

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

LSU as a "major school" is a stretch imo

They have produced a lot of NBA players and have had a lot of NCAA tournament successes. Simmons college career was a huge disappointment given the expectations. I’m not saying that’s on him, that’s definitely on LSU, but to laugh it off is pure hindsight.

Good point I thought they were in it last year but I remembered wrong.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

EoinCannon posted:

It's good for us from :australia: to have an Aussie to get excited about in the NBA, now that Bogut is broken and Exum doesn't look like he'll be good.
Other than Delly and Joe Ingles of course, but I wouldn't call my feelings for them excitement

There is also Thon Maker to get excited about and he looks okay but a bit raw.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Shouldn't the ref see the ball heading towards him and move out of the way to avoid getting hit by it? Also, you gotta sit Fultz. That jumper looks Michael Kidd-Gilchrist bad.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Perfect Twist posted:

There is also Thon Maker to get excited about and he looks okay but a bit raw.

Oh yeah, forgot about Thon. I'm hopeful for him, it's good that he's on the Bucks with other spider-people that understand him

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CRISPYBABY posted:

Jesus christ seriously? The loving ego to ruin a pass, and then point down the court and tell the team that it was their turn over.

The refs basically count as out-of-bounds, it was the correct call. The problem is that ref was waaaaaaay out of position, obviously; he should be disciplined for sure. loving amateur hour.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh man I'm envious of you, there are so many Lebron to Lakers articles that I've had shoved at me, you're lucky to have not seen them. To be fair most of them came in August when the Cavs were in a major meltdown that they have stablized a little from, but at least at the time Lebron and Dan Gilbert were feuding and it was basically leaked all over the place he was leaving, with LA as a target.

Does it make basketball sense at all? No not at all. It seems like a bad move for Lebron for a lot of reasons, which is part of why anyone smart (this doesn't include the Lakers management, which is why they hosed the rebuild up to clear money for next year this summer). I guess the cap money that the Lakers have could help remedy that a bit, but, it's not going to be like Miami or Cleveland where there's something in place already for Lebron to build on.

The people who REALLY believe in this argue that Lebron's family wants to move to LA to focus on Lebron's media stuff.

There is also the Nike Conspiracy Theory. Lebron has never been fully embraced by (stupid) Lakers fans and the Lakers fanbase is still the biggest, so the conspiracy part is that getting Lebron to the Lakers would finally overcome that and help Nike and further bury any momentum Under Armor has. I would say this is extremely silly but seeing the tendrils of Nike everywhere surfacing a bit with the college basketball stuff makes me less inclined to put anything past Nike.

Really though this is all just dumb speculation. The most likely thing is that Lebron reups in Cleveland, Paul George stays in Oklahoma and the Lakers are extremely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

how do you forget about patty mills

• Locked thread