Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BadOptics posted:

A specter is haunting NCOA, the specter of transformational leadership.

Sooooo, I actually worked that (mostly) into a briefing. Thanks for the inspiration!

Don't worry, I properly cited the quote.

My flight was deeply impressed. Or at least, the two of them who recognized what I was getting at.

Edit: NCOA was actually much better & more useful than I expected, and I had a whole lot of fun. EPME... good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Not as good as my DL!

That I didn't read and tested out of.

David Bowie Knife
May 22, 2010

KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME
:suicide::suicide::suicide:
KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME
The 595th C2G is looking for a mascot. I was thinking about sending this bad boy in anonymously through Guerrilla Mail and VPN.

Consequences or nah?

Edit: Credit to Admiral Bosch for posting it to the Combat Cam thread.

Admiral Bosch posted:

My old man found all my old deployment photos from an SD card that I thought had been lost forever. Took this one in a portashitter outside customs at the Kyrgyzstan air base. I reeeeeally wished I had known where this picture was when the GIP dick graffiti book was being compiled.

David Bowie Knife fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 3, 2017

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Luckily it's already in the book. Page 12 or something

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

[TELL] Me how to be a CFC Key rep doing minimal effort while collecting most bullet

Gotta love coming back from leave and finding out you're voluntold to do some poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nullscan posted:

[TELL] Me how to be a CFC Key rep doing minimal effort while collecting most bullet

Gotta love coming back from leave and finding out you're voluntold to do some poo poo.

Pretty sure you just get "100% contact" by walking around for a few days, giving your spiel, and dropping off a pamphlet

It's a charity function so that's about all people can ask you to do

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

nullscan posted:

If you are feeling really ambitious, go out to the base gym one morning and trade juice and donuts for donations over a folding table. Trigger warning: May involve paperwork.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

nullscan posted:

Announce the fund raiser at roll call for a few weeks, send a mass text to the sq with a read receipt, and any time you're tired of work go "get those last few contacts done" for a few hours. Literally 10min of work and a great excuse for when you want to gently caress off somewhere else. Then just lie about how much money was raised last year compared to this year to make your opr/epr numbers look good. Remember, if the boss signs it, it happened.

David Bowie Knife
May 22, 2010

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Pretty sure you just get "100% contact" by walking around for a few days, giving your spiel, and dropping off a pamphlet

It's a charity function so that's about all people can ask you to do

I did CFC a few years back, and it was basically this. Make sure you being it up at every roll call until it's over.

Edit: The more annoying you are about it, the better.

David Bowie Knife fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 16, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Found this in the Navy thread, of all places.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/20/air-force-recall-many-1-000-retired-pilots-address-serious-shortage/785344001/

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Uhh gently caress you if you're back in?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
hahahahaha

Let's take a minute and appreciate that AF management has hosed up pilot retention so badly that the goddamn POTUS has to authorize a pseudo-draft just to fix it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Maybe this is why Welsh got his Order of the Sword.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Uhh gently caress you if you're back in?

Is there anything stopping the pilots from refusing, legally speaking?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UCMJ?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Give me a shitload of money and I'll go be a pilot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

10 U.S. Code § 688 - Retired members: authority to order to active duty; duties posted:
(a)Authority.—
Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, a member described in subsection (b) may be ordered to active duty by the Secretary of the military department concerned at any time.
(b)Covered Members.—Except as provided in subsection (d), subsection (a) applies to the following members of the armed forces:
(1) A retired member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or RegularMarine Corps.
(2) A member of the Retired Reserve who was retired under section 1293, 3911, 3914, 6323, 8911, or 8914 of this title.
(3) A member of the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

10 U.S. Code § 688 - Retired members: authority to order to active duty; duties posted:
(a)Authority.—
Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, a member described in subsection (b) may be ordered to active duty by the Secretary of the military department concerned at any time.
(b)Covered Members.—Except as provided in subsection (d), subsection (a) applies to the following members of the armed forces:
(1) A retired member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or RegularMarine Corps.
(2) A member of the Retired Reserve who was retired under section 1293, 3911, 3914, 6323, 8911, or 8914 of this title.
(3) A member of the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.

So, not normal seperated Reserve/Guard members?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Separated vs retired. Also, most officers who separate also resign their commission once they're allowed to do so, so they're out out. If they maintain their commission, they drop into what's called the Standby Reserve, which is recallable. That's from active duty, but what matters is what status the former ANG/Res person falls into. If they're able to resign and do so, they're done.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 22, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rekinom posted:

hahahahaha

Let's take a minute and appreciate that AF management has hosed up pilot retention so badly that the goddamn POTUS has to authorize a pseudo-draft just to fix it.

It was just too hard to let go of the additional duties and other poo poo that pilots constantly bitch about lmfao

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Godholio: What about medically retired folks that aren’t on the TDRL but instead permanent members of the PDRL? Surely they don’t want the gimps.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I haven't seen anything that breaks it down like that. Here's the (a?) relevant reg:

quote:

DoD Directive 1352.1, Management and Mobilization of Regular and Reserve Retired Military Members posted:
(presented in order of callup)
E1.1.3. Military Retiree Categories

E1.1.3.1. Category I. Non-disability military retirees under age 60 who have been retired less than 5 years.

E1.1.3.2. Category II. Non-disability military retirees under age 60 who have retired 5 years or more.

E1.1.3.3. Category III. Military retirees, including those retired for disability, other than categories I or II retirees (includes warrant officers and healthcare professionals who retire from active duty after age 60).

It does say that Cat 3 should be used for civilian jobs.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Why ARE so many fighter pilots getting out? It seems like such a cool job that pays pretty well. Is it just so much better in the airlines?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Deathy McDeath posted:

Why ARE so many fighter pilots getting out? It seems like such a cool job that pays pretty well. Is it just so much better in the airlines?

From just reading around here (and other message boards), its the fact that the AF insists on forcibly grooming rated officers for staff positions instead of just letting them fly. General consensus seems to be once you pin on Major, youre stuck behind a desk and dealing with all the bullshit of managing at the Sq. level.

Not to mention the overall improved quality of life in the Airlines (no pt tests, no group/wing fuckery, better pay, organized labor, etc.)

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 24, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It happens long before you hit O-4. I've been talking to ADOs who are new (<2yr) captains. That job is supposed to be prepping mid to senior majors to be DOs and poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

It happens long before you hit O-4. I've been talking to ADOs who are new (<2yr) captains. That job is supposed to be prepping mid to senior majors to be DOs and poo poo.

They keep pushing that poo poo earlier and earlier and you end up with Majors and Lt Colonels who are worthless loving burnouts because by the time you hit that point there's really nowhere else to go if you aren't given a command (and nothing to worry about if you just want to hit retirement and punch out)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's been the case for probably a decade. Before I even got out, we had a cadre of ROAD O-5s with no real day job, so they just flew all the loving time. Probably 7 or 8 of them, just doing their own thing. In addition to the CC, CD, DO, and another who's fake job title I can't remember but they were still contributing. That's like 2009/10, before they called back a bunch of retirees (voluntarily).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

For a while we were sending non-aircraft commander LTs to current operations

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Prediction: The next big announcement is that they're knocking a year off TIG as O-2 and O-3, or raising the 11F bonus to 475.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
What did you all do with your uniforms as you were getting out?

I have very little intention of doing the Guard/Reserves, and I have a ton of flight suits, blues, service dress and mess dress just taking up closet space.

Debating donating to the Airman's Attic unless there's some reason to hold onto them.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
No bonfire?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

xaarman posted:

I have very little intention of doing the Guard/Reserves, and I have a ton of flight suits, blues, service dress and mess dress just taking up closet space.

Debating donating to the Airman's Attic unless there's some reason to hold onto them.

I have all of mine in a vacuseal bag in my basement

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

SalTheBard posted:

I have all of mine in a vacuseal bag in my basement

Same. Who knows, there might be a zombie apocalypse or a reactivation for retirees and veterans or some other ridiculous thing.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Deathy McDeath posted:

200K+ per year to work 15 days a month in the airlines. All you do is show up and fly essentially. You’d be dumb not to do it.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

AFStealth posted:

200K+ per year to work 15 days a month in the airlines. All you do is show up and fly essentially. You’d be dumb not to do it.

I've been averaging 8-10 as a reserve in living in base, but to each their own.

xaarman posted:

I'm saving mine for next year's Armed Forces Day parade so people will give me free poo poo.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

xaarman posted:

My grandfather got rid of all his uniforms and gear (save a captured Hitler Youth knife) after he got out. He died before I was born, and I'd just about give my left arm to have any of his things from his time with the Air Corps.

What I'm getting at is, give most to the Airman's Attic and keep a set for any greedy grandkids you might someday have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I use mine as work gear for when I'm working on the cars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

All of mine is shoved into a tote buried under boxes of other useless poo poo. If I ever get down to normal weight I'll use the flight suits in the garage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My uniforms mostly got tossed except some coveralls and some dress uniforms i kept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I'm leaning towards donating. I doubt I'll be the guy to talk about my AF life to grandkids unless it's anything more than "its a stepping stone to the next point in life" or "you need some direction."

I feel torn about tossing my service dress/mess dress, but they do nothing but collect dust - the ribbons haven't been updated in years. Maybe someone else will get some better use out of them.

edit: keeping the cold weather gear, OCPs and patches coz they are awesome

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 25, 2017

• Locked thread