Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
to be honest it would be nice if they remade the UI in a way that is scaleable other than just resizing rasters but I'm not holding out for that to happen anytime soon if ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I have level 6 space ports in all my planets.. I'm training as fast as I can at +450~ Engineering/Society/can't remember last one. I have 4 scientists constantly "assist research" on my planets with lots of science type labs..

I don't know how I can increase this more..

I'm not sure how many years in I am.. maybe 150?

Each of my battleships are Level 5 Railguns, 2 level 3 bombers, with 1 point defense 1 flak cannon.. they have 1500 firepower on them.. I have 52 battleships 52 cruisers and 28 destroyers (all my enemies have lots of bombers so i fitted my destroyers for long range and flak)

Replace some science Labs with mines, then mash the "build Cruiser" button until you have a bigger fleet than your enemy. Don't be afraid to go over your fleet cap. Tech and loadout just don't matter as much as bringing a bigger doomstack to the fight when you're up against regular AI empires.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

I was wrong: despite being inconveniently boxed in by the Isolationists, who loving annoyingly had both of the lanes from my spiral arm to theirs in their no-build DMZ (and then they let my Xenophobic benefactors colonize next to them, what the gently caress man), I had Synths 40 years in, Ascension and a basic Nexus by 2270, and a complete Nexus by 2283. Also got the Shroud Avatar, whose nebulous fleet power put me on par with all my neighbors as far as the AI is concerned, so my chances of being attacked before I build a real fleet just hit near zero!

They seem to have more tolerance for colonized planets than they do frontier outposts so that might be it. I've been able to get really close to them with planets without them getting mad but a single frontier outpost even kinda close seems to make them freak out.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

McGiggins posted:

Star spawn event is dreadful. 227k fleet of dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, carriers and strike cruisers laid low by two 20k fleets.

What can I can I do against such evil?
I really like the feel and writing of LEX but yeah. You can’t really do the events until after you’ve already won and have a good half-mil fleet power and no external threats, and they’re *always* big ‘gently caress you’ buttons. If it was rescaled to the midgame and sometimes you got the rewards before the threat appeared, it’d be way more interesting. Arcadia is better than the Gravekeeper, for example, as ‘can I leverage the obelisk bonuses to help me win before the enemies spawn’ is way better than ‘Do I have a big enough fleet to get an even bigger fleet’ is.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
While I appreciate the AI taking players seriously, it is a little tedious that you almost always have to build so aggressively once you spot one who is of a slightly different ethic build then you are. Like as a robot faction this pretty much happens every game.

It'd be nice if there was more you could do to keep them from being angry instantly and triggering the ship spam race. I guess that's something we might see with the war/diplo update though, so that's cool.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: fighting wars when you're outmatched in terms of fleet power - two things to remember. first, fleet power isn't absolute, it's only an estimation of relative power and it can easily be wrong. I've had fleets either outright defeat things with 25%+ more listed power than them or at least forced them to retreat.

The second thing is that if you're in a war where the other side has better fleets than you you need to be playing super defensively. The longer the war goes on for and the more fleet power the attacker loses the more likely they are to just try for a white peace and bail on the war. Have you main shipyards (those with corvette/destroyer/cruiser/battleship assembly yards and/or fleet academies) cranking out good ships and have everything else poo poo out torpedo corvettes, have all your worlds as full of defense troops as you can manage, and keep an eye on the enemy fleet and whenever they start moving to a target move your fleet there and engage. Keep an eye on your fleet, retreat it once you've lost some of it, let them take the world, and then repeat when they move to their next target. Grind them down and eventually they'll back off. Remember to steal resources from your sectors and if you need minerals throw energy credits at trader enclaves.

If they're occupying 2+ worlds then once they move on a third have your reinforcement fleets band together and attempt to reclaim the ones they've taken. Again, you don't need to actually succeed, just keep them from meeting wargoals until they get tired of punching you and peace out. Assault the planet, bail as soon as the enemy fleet moves to protect their gains, then once they move on a new target reengage. If their territory borders yours you can even have some reinforcements raid their territory and blow up mining/research stations.

Mazz posted:

While I appreciate the AI taking players seriously, it is a little tedious that you almost always have to build so aggressively once you spot one who is of a slightly different ethic build then you are. Like as a robot faction this pretty much happens every game.

It'd be nice if there was more you could do to keep them from being angry instantly and triggering the ship spam race. I guess that's something we might see with the war/diplo update though, so that's cool.

If they're not worse than -50 or so throw energy credits at them and try to get them to agree to an NAP and the trust from that will generally keep them from getting too pissed at you

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Mid to late game wars are usually really manageable, it's more that 2240 war where the AI has done nothing but tech new ships and build ships once spotting you so if you haven't been matching him the whole way they show up at like 14k while your at 6-7k or even less depending on how awful your start was.

While I like the pressing issue feel of it I think it feels like it's forced a little too often upon the player. Like that shouldn't be the guaranteed AI response every time you meet someone who slightly dislikes you.

EDIT: that would probably work, I always hog my early resources as a robot because I'm always playing with fire as I expand.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 23, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mazz posted:

Whenever I see someone with ethics I don't like I immediately go full murder mode on them. Am I an AI :ohdear:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

kaffo posted:

Rather than using the UI scaling I downloaded one of the HD resolution fixes from the workshop, that worked really well

Thanks, I'll need to try out one of those! With poor vision 2560x1600 on a 30" screen, small text doesn't work at all. I haven't played any of the earlier Paradox games because of horrible ui and font issues.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I don have to say that Fortresses and such are actually quite decent now. I had a 4k power fortress helping out a 2.4k Level 6 starport, and together they wiped out a slightly-softened enemy 8k fleet that was chewing up my main force.

I feel like Fortresses now can actually be a bit of an impediment/threat, Defense Stations are good for hardened speed bumps, and snaring the rando AI reinforcements and science ships. Platforms are good for...sensor coverage? Forward operating nano clouds for repairs maybe?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The other day I was playing a multiplayer game and got into a war with another player. I brought my (roughly) comparable powerlevel fleet into combat with them and got obliterated.

Luckily I got about half of it out and was wondering how I got so butt blasted. When I checked the build for the battleship carriers I had built they were all fighters. Switching those out for bombers basically doubled my fleet strength and the next engagement saw the enemy completely wiped out.

What I learned: don't trust the autocomplete function completely when designing your fleet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

has there been any news on what the next update will be about?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nitrousoxide posted:

The other day I was playing a multiplayer game and got into a war with another player. I brought my (roughly) comparable powerlevel fleet into combat with them and got obliterated.

Luckily I got about half of it out and was wondering how I got so butt blasted. When I checked the build for the battleship carriers I had built they were all fighters. Switching those out for bombers basically doubled my fleet strength and the next engagement saw the enemy completely wiped out.

What I learned: don't trust the autocomplete function completely when designing your fleet.

Auto can be sort of ok for filling out components but never trust it for weapons.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

has there been any news on what the next update will be about?

Based on Wiz's twitter updates and Reddit teases, WAR.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Based on the twitter pictures, a new way of territory control and a complete station overhaul. Possibly even the FTL rework (I think all the teaser images are hyperlanes and that's been talked about in combination with the territory control rework).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 23, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If you haven't been reading up on Wiz's Twitter then you should. He's been posting more stuff and mentioned somewhere that the coming dev diary will cover all the various things we've been teased with will do.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I really like hyperlanes only, because it adds a strategic element to the game. You can actually have a "front" and "back" lines, make defensive positions to choke points (in a spiral galaxy for example) etc. People just can't suddendly appear next to you, and I like that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
One thing I find myself wishing has to do with names. If anyone remembers back when they were first showing streams of Blorg gameplay before release, there was a time when they conquered an alien planet, and then recruited one of their people as a leader, and that leader used the same name list as the Blorg instead of the alien one. They 'fixed' that for release, but I rather wish the behavior there was something up to the player. One of the games I occasionally come back to, to try again, is my 'Roman Empire in space' game that I wrote up a big name list for, and for that, it'd be extremely thematic for conquered people to take on Roman names as well, as historically happened.

It could be a very simple policy, whether you 'integrate' or 'assimilate' aliens into your culture.

edit: Also about names - it appears that finishing the "flesh is weak" special project to cybernetically enhance your race randomly changes its namelist.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 23, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No! Anyone but them! I don't want to pay for whatever THEY have collected. :gonk:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

McGiggins posted:

Star spawn event is dreadful. 227k fleet of dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, carriers and strike cruisers laid low by two 20k fleets.

What can I can I do against such evil?

OwlFancier posted:

Uninstall it it's dumb.

Alternatively, just never trigger it until you want the game to be over because it is very, very clearly telegraphed as a stupid loving thing to do and there's no way to trigger it accidentally.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Has anyone provoked an ai rebellion yet? The kind that lets you become the uprising empire?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Thyrork posted:

Has anyone provoked an ai rebellion yet? The kind that lets you become the uprising empire?

I've seen it in my last two games, the first time with the player empire (CoM) and the second with a spiritualist AI empire which happened to fire during the Contingency. Apparently you can get it without any synths since in the first game I only had droids when the malfunctions started occurring.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Alternatively, just never trigger it until you want the game to be over because it is very, very clearly telegraphed as a stupid loving thing to do and there's no way to trigger it accidentally.

The AI can trigger it though.

The first I heard about it was when my neighbour's home star imploded.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The AI can trigger it though.

The first I heard about it was when my neighbour's home star imploded.

The only AI that would ever trigger the Vanth event is a Fanatic/Devouring/Exterminator species, and if you've let them get powerful enough to actually be capable of damaging those pillars you've already hosed up.

If a different AI type did it, then something broke somewhere because it requires shooting at neutral targets that even Crisis fleets would have difficulty harming.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Psycho Landlord posted:

Then why even install it in the first place

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Then why even install it in the first place

Because the mod in question does other stuff besides that one galactic gently caress you chain. Aside from that one chain LEX is pretty neat.

EDIT:VVV Wisdom

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psycho Landlord posted:

Because the mod in question does other stuff besides that one galactic gently caress you chain. Aside from that one chain LEX is pretty neat.

Take the mod apart, get rid of the thing you don't like and replace it with oblivion gates then reupload it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Personally, I like events that basically start the "Doom of the Universe!" End of the Cycle is neat... even if I've yet to see it. :v:

Baronjutter posted:

Take the mod apart, get rid of the thing you don't like and replace it with oblivion gates then reupload it.

WHAT WAS, WILL BE. WHAT WILL BE, WAS.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 23, 2017

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
How do I get everyone to get along in this game and form confederations without having to either conquer, erradicate or enslave everyone I meet? I just want to be friends! They're making me do it!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maxmaps posted:

How do I get everyone to get along in this game and form confederations without having to either conquer, erradicate or enslave everyone I meet? I just want to be friends! They're making me do it!

Sometimes you end up surrounded by happy federation builders that love you, sometimes you end up as the only "nice" country on the map with everyone else some exterminator or slaver or religious fanatic. If it's the later, you better start exporting your ideology at the barrel of a plasma cannon.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only AI that would ever trigger the Vanth event is a Fanatic/Devouring/Exterminator species, and if you've let them get powerful enough to actually be capable of damaging those pillars you've already hosed up.

If a different AI type did it, then something broke somewhere because it requires shooting at neutral targets that even Crisis fleets would have difficulty harming.

People say this but I'm not sure it's true. I smashed down the pillars with a 60k fleet.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, you just need to affix massive penalties to the physically proven most efficient method to do something

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I'm a pacifist empire and I just gassed the heck out of a mole men civilization and enslaved the survivors. I love this dumb game

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

People say this but I'm not sure it's true. I smashed down the pillars with a 60k fleet.

I could see the pillars associated with the Shroud system chain going down that early, but the Vanth pillars should be way tougher.

Then again, according to the guy making it, the AI should be incapable of even entering most of the systems associated with this mod much less do any of their event chains, and I know for a fact my inwards perfection neighbors next door triggered the Arcadia crisis and got wrecked last game I played to endgame, which apparently was a result of using the AI megamod, so who knows what all can break when you introduce other mods. Maybe the various ship and tech mods gently caress up power calcs in some way?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Psycho Landlord posted:

I could see the pillars associated with the Shroud system chain going down that early, but the Vanth pillars should be way tougher.

Then again, according to the guy making it, the AI should be incapable of even entering most of the systems associated with this mod much less do any of their event chains, and I know for a fact my inwards perfection neighbors next door triggered the Arcadia crisis and got wrecked last game I played to endgame, which apparently was a result of using the AI megamod, so who knows what all can break when you introduce other mods. Maybe the various ship and tech mods gently caress up power calcs in some way?

Only other mods I'm running are Guilen's planets and a few event ones. The pillars are tough nuts to crack but providing you can do some damage to them it's only a matter of time.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Ruined my one planet game that was going swimmingly by purging the dick Isolationist FE so I could snatch up their space (including a ruined Dyson Sphere), forgetting about the sizeable, slow-decaying genocide malus. Now even my bestest Federation buddies have -200 opinion towards me. Whoops!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How does "threat" work exactly in stellaris now? A ton of people HATE me due to threat, but a bunch don't. Th eones who had NA pacts and such seem chill, but others are not.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

How does "threat" work exactly in stellaris now? A ton of people HATE me due to threat, but a bunch don't. Th eones who had NA pacts and such seem chill, but others are not.

From the wiki:

quote:

Threat is acquired by conquering or liberating other empires planets. It is seen as a form of aggressive expansion. Threat gain is dependent on the AI empire's personality and existing NAP or stronger deals. Shared Threat acts as a positive acceptance modifier for defensive deals.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cool, I always complained there was no AE system in stellaris but what ever they got going on is working pretty good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I got this game a day or two ago and I don't have any DLC but I could use help.

I am a Materialist Militaristic Imperial empire. I ran into my neighbor early who didn't like me too much and not wanting to be caught unprepared like in my last game I dove for ships and declared war. A single planetary occupation later and they are my vassals. Unfortunately they think they are still on a good footing with me and are thus disloyal. How do I fix this?

Also my main fleet is capped out 3k at 70 fleet units and I am fairly sure I saw a 9k pirate fleet demolishing my vassal's fleet. I haven't seen them since but I am not sure how to proceed since only one of the two remaining empires on decent terms with me is at/above my strength and it is busy with 2-3 other empires who also very much do not like it or the other friendly empire that was crippled by the last war. They are also a fair distance away and I am using hyperlanes.

I spammed out two colonies to try and reach parity with the two big slaver empires but I am unsure how to get a numbers, tech, or territory/colonial development advantage on them since I only have so many minerals despite having a 67 per month mineral gain.

I feel like this is going to be the bit before everything starts tumbling down. :(

• Locked thread