Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also a thread for stuff that's great ...except for one dumb thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Irate Tree posted:

I recently made the switch from Citadel to Vallejo.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Dude this is super dope. Has a Miyazaki vibe to it

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

It's also a thread for stuff that's great ...except for one dumb thing:

When all you have is an airbrush... make everything look obviously airbrushed. And gently caress up the OSL.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait what isn't cool about that Necron thing?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Maybe he takes issue with the obvious Triforce iconography.

I mean, come on. Any decent beardo knows that the 'crons were gifted the Triforce in the 37th millennium, after they helped the C'tan and drove off Ganondorf.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Better the Triforce than Hatsune Miku or some Nazi poo poo :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a weirdly sloppy circle around that triforce. I'd think the point of airbrushing would be to get that poo poo accurate.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The triforce is really the only garbage thing there. "The Thing from two different fandoms!" is basically Tee-Fury's business model, and catnip to some nerds.

I'm forgiving of "sloppy airbrush" because it's essentially a new iteration of "base colors and dip." It looks great from a few feet away and better than bare plastic.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think it looks better than anything I could crank out... zelda aside, of course.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How do you gently caress up getting sharp lines using a stencil.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Be bad at cutting out stencils

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Stencil not actually making contact with the model? He was probably holding it with his off-hand like a scrub. Tape your stencils yo.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Never having actually played any of the Zelda games, I didn't recognize the logo as being from out-of-40K context. It looks like it belongs.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162705306060?rmvSB=true

can't tell if im looking at the back or the front of that... tank?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Moola posted:

holy lol

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Moola posted:

Needs more greebles to disguise the HDD origins.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i wonder what else you could make if you have a bunch of treads laying around

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

quote:

Warhammer 40K Homemade Space Marine Deathwatch Landraider
$19.99

If he says so I guess.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Has anyone dug through this yet?:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?773052-The-Von-Bek-Painting-Thread/page1

Too much to post but after page 1 where he shows off his collection he shows off some of his "commission" work. Most of the stuff on page 1 is just mediocre with a few turds, but there's mostly just turds starting on page 2.

He has to have painted thousands of models too.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Well, he's washed thousands of models with nuln oil

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This is the level of his commission painting. Someone paid money for him to do this.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
I... I don't understand, he can't even keep in the lines, he must advertise with other's work, I can't imagine him getting repeat business

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Moola posted:

Firaeveus Carron will not be happy about this.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

working mom posted:

I... I don't understand, he can't even keep in the lines, he must advertise with other's work, I can't imagine him getting repeat business

My favorite part is that if you shuffled the images around it would be almost impossible to tell which ones are finished and which ones are works in progress.

EDIT: Another commission -

Gilgameshback fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 24, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

vaginite posted:

Has anyone dug through this yet?:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?773052-The-Von-Bek-Painting-Thread/page1

Too much to post but after page 1 where he shows off his collection he shows off some of his "commission" work. Most of the stuff on page 1 is just mediocre with a few turds, but there's mostly just turds starting on page 2.

He has to have painted thousands of models too.

He actually didn't take good enough pictures of his orks or tyranids to mock. Good lord it's worrying - going along, his standard seems to slightly raise to almost possibly maybe acceptable levels, and I was thinking "eh, it's not.....too bad any more maybe". But nope, still objectively poo poo.

(check the eyes)

(note the hair and fluff)

Someone commissioned him for Malifaux! Turns out he is aware of what basing is!

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 24, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jesus Christ, that rear end in a top hat makes me look like Duncan.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

What is wrong with his white paint? It looks like Wite-Out.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

My theory is, he just bought himself the Titan, underestimated the time ad effort to build the actual chassis, and slapped the guns and a couple of carapace pieces on some styrofoam in roughly the right shape for a quick game with the buds.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gilgameshback posted:

My favorite part is that if you shuffled the images around it would be almost impossible to tell which ones are finished and which ones are works in progress.

EDIT: Another commission -

i'm the cookie bases

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gilgameshback posted:

What is wrong with his white paint? It looks like Wite-Out.

My guess? One thick coat, on black, of Ceramite White that has gone off/cracked/dried up in some way.

He's kind of an ad for 2 thin coats.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 25, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The models are bad but other peoples comments are blowing my mind.

quote:

Someone commented on Facebook that they have no idea why I post step-by-step photos and wanted me to stop. I thought it might be interesting for people to see. Does anyone actually enjoy it or should I just post when finished? With the lack of comments I really don't know if anyone enjoys this thread or if I am just annoying people here too.

quote:

I can't paint well and if I do paint, it's a slop-n-go style.

Seeing a beautifully painted miniature in steps gives me some idea of how to make something better.

quote:

I don't post them to my general feed, I think someone was just being salty. It is very gratifying to hear that some people enjoy this thread!

:psyduck:

Are these people on some weird painting Galápagos island where they have no other reference points. What is going on :psyboom:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Eh, the ones towards the end of the posts shown are tabletop quality - but nothing I would expect someone to pay for.

I'm starting to think we've ran out of sqrunts and slowly our attention has to move to stuff that isn't as bad.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

i'm the cookie bases

You would know brownie-base-boy.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Other than that unfortunate chaos blue or the white paint he uses, most of these are solid tabletop quality. This is about as good as I am, although I usually have bases even though I hate doing bases.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

You would know brownie-base-boy.

youre drat right you basic bitch!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, that guy's not amazing and some of his stuff is real, real bad. Most of it is just kind of average though, and is similar to where I am at this point.

That said, I don't have a giant thread on RPGnet where I just show off the massive, massive amount of money I personally spend buying and painting miniatures. Is that a thing over there?

Also, is basing considered mandatory? for my Reaper Bones minis I like to stick them on a plain, black base, usually after removing whatever original base they had. I'm playing on a whiteboard and the terrain is dry-erase marker, so I'm pretty comfortable with the abstract look, and it doesn't draw attention away from the miniature itself. Am I painting miniatures, wrong?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Malifaux models are fine, everything else is pretty garbo

Here's one debatably in the wrong thread, but mostly I'm just impressed it's stayed together because that thing easily weighs 4 pounds:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SRM posted:

The Malifaux models are fine, everything else is pretty garbo

Here's one debatably in the wrong thread, but mostly I'm just impressed it's stayed together because that thing easily weighs 4 pounds:

"okay i activate my smoke launchers" *blows on model*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im the BATTLE TITS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Also, is basing considered mandatory? for my Reaper Bones minis I like to stick them on a plain, black base, usually after removing whatever original base they had. I'm playing on a whiteboard and the terrain is dry-erase marker, so I'm pretty comfortable with the abstract look, and it doesn't draw attention away from the miniature itself. Am I painting miniatures, wrong?

Depends on what you mean by "mandatory". Some events require it, typically as part of a 3 color + base minimum. Also, most models look very incomplete with an unpainted base. However, this is mostly bad because people glue the model to the base, paint the model and then don't paint the base. This results in a base with some splotches of paint on it that is clearly just sloppy rather than intentional. Clean black bases don't look that bad.

However, I am a fan of an alternative: clear bases. Paint your model before gluing it onto a clear plastic base. Go over the outer edge of the base in black marker or paint. This causes less clash with the table (it's always weird to see desert bases on a snow table, for instance) and still gives you a very clear outline of where Your Model Ends, which is useful for anything that uses templates or base-to-base measuring. Here's an example of clear bases with and without the black rim (not mine):