Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm the dead sheep hanging from a hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Alaska has a nice flag as well. Hawaii has...well, an interesting one at least.

Those prefecture flags are nice on their own, but IMO when they're all like that they blend together as much as the state seal flags do. :shrug: Like, I think part of why New Mexico's works is because it's a unique style among the states (same with Maryland).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SaltyJesus posted:

that's cute

Lol somebody managed to give the bird a vagina NICE.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol somebody managed to give the bird a vagina NICE.

It's a pomegranate

vagina.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

What has that got to do with anything? If that was a prerequisite for having a welfare state, then existing ones would have been dismantled with increased immigration from racially divergent populations.

Cat Matress posted:

Any European country larger than Luxembourg is going to not have racial homogeneity, because Catalans aren't Castilians, Scots aren't Englishmen, Flemish aren't Walloons, Bretons aren't Alsatians, Prussians aren't Bavarians, and so on.

I think that Dreddout has a point, even if I think that racial diversity is used as one more tool to convince people to dismantle the welfare state rather than a major cause. So I don't think that this dogpile is deserved.
The reasoning is easy to understand - "Why should my taxes go to help THOSE people?". It is not so hard to use this politically if you are careful enough to avoid making direct references to the alleged minorities in question.
This tool was for example used by Reagan to attack the welfare state in the U.S., by implying that only black people benefit from the welfare state (the whole welfare queen trope). I think that I read it in a book from Paul Krugman.

Furthermore Dreddout's claim is supported by the social sciences. It has been proven in some studies that increased racial diversity in a country leads people to people not agreeing so much with the welfare state. A quick google search yields the following examples:

https://fee.org/articles/choose-diversity-or-the-welfare-state/
http://www.pol.ed.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/10215/paper_midpoint_conference_project_3.pdf (paper quoted in article above)
https://www.jstor.org/stable/40421413?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Regarding the presumed counter-examples of Cat Matress, I don't think that they are very good. In any of the cases these "races" have shared a country long before the inception of the modern welfare state, share at least one language, and the perceived racial differences are nowadays irrelevant (when compared to something such as an Englishman versus a Somalian). It is laughable to think that a Catalan and a Castillian can be distinguished racially (even if the genes might be slightly different).

Finally, I have anecdotal evidence that this applies to Portugal. In Portugal the state provides (or used to provide, I don't know after the austerity) a minimum income for very poor people (i.e. supposedly without any possessions or income) by providing a small amount of monthly money - it is a matter of a few hundreds of euros, and the amount increases with the number of children. Regular people are always harping on this subsidy because in people's minds (and the following corresponds to the regular Joe's perception, not mine!) this subsidy gets used by gypsy people (local gypsies who have been living in Portugal since forever, but are anyway segregated) who own BMWs (bought with drug money, of course) but anyway trick the state and get hundreds of euros because each one of them has 10 children. So actually it is something like the American welfare queen myth, and people attack a social subsidy due to a perceived abuse of the subsidy by a racial minority in the country that totally does not deserve it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SaltyJesus posted:

that's cute

This is the heraldic equivalent of Inception. Of course we're talking about the personal coat of arms of Holy Emperor Charles V, the man who was the most powerful monarch of Christendom at the beginning of his reign thanks to generations of marriages and alliances. So let's analyze it a bit:

- the spikey saltire (red diagonal cross) is the cross of Burgundy because he was duke of Burgundy
- the two headed eagle is the Reichsadler because he was the emperor
- the "Plus Ultra" columns represent the Pillars of Hercules
- the hanging sheep necklace is for the Order of the Golden Fleece
- the crowns signify he's King of the Romans (both designs)
- the shield is quartered by shields that are themselves quartered.
  • King of Castile and León:
    • Yellow castle on red background: Castile
    • Purple lion on white background: León
  • King of Aragon and Sicily:
    • Red and yellow vertical stripes: Aragon
    • Red and yellow vertical stripes but with also eagles: Sicily
  • Thin red and white horizontal stripes and flattened gold cross on white: Naples (king)
  • Yellow dots and lines on red background forming a square with medians and diagonals: Navarre (king)
  • Thick red and white horizontal stripes: Austria (archduke) and also Lothier (duke)
  • Yellow lion on black background: Brabant (duke)
  • Yellow and blue diagonal stripes and yellow fleurs-de-lis on blue bordered by red and white stripes: Burgundy, again (still duke)
  • Black lion on yellow background: Flanders (count)
  • Red eagle: Tyrol (count)
  • Pomegranate: Granada (king)

But we can always do worse:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 23, 2017

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of posting that one too. :haw:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cat Mattress posted:

Wanna see the blazon for this one. :getin:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HookShot posted:

I'm the dead sheep hanging from a hook.

I think it's supposed to be an Agnus Dei, but I'm pretty sure that's not a very respectful way to depict it.

Edit, nevermind, I think I can be forgiven for never having heard of a particular chivalric order. Still, apparently the symbology was considered religiously dubious in another way:

The choice of the Golden Fleece of Colchis as the symbol of a Christian order caused some controversy, not so much because of its pagan context, which could be incorporated in chivalric ideals, as in the Nine Worthies, but because the feats of Jason, familiar to all, were not without causes of reproach, expressed in anti-Burgundian terms by Alain Chartier in his Ballade de Fougères referring to Jason as "Who, to carry off the fleece of Colchis, was willing to commit perjury."[7] The bishop of Châlons, chancellor of the Order, rescued the fleece's reputation by identifying it instead with the fleece of Gideon that received the dew of Heaven.[8]

from the wiki on the order of the golden fleece

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 23, 2017

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Leave it to a map of the Western Hemisphere to be gracious enough to not forget New Zealand.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Regarding the presumed counter-examples of Cat Matress, I don't think that they are very good. In any of the cases these "races" have shared a country long before the inception of the modern welfare state, share at least one language, and the perceived racial differences are nowadays irrelevant (when compared to something such as an Englishman versus a Somalian). It is laughable to think that a Catalan and a Castillian can be distinguished racially (even if the genes might be slightly different).

That's not the point, these countries were still ethnically diverse when the welfare state was set up and truth be told it matters an awful lot more than you're giving it credit for, Spain is the most obvious example, I don't know how you can look at the history of Catalans and Basques in the country and assume it's just a little niggle. Conflicts over their autonomy have been going on for centuries and resulted in armed conflict within living memory, in Catalonia resentment towards the rest of the country often gets expressed as 'we're paying their bills' since the province's industry has outsized importance for the country as a whole and that gets used as an argument for independence from the rest of the country. Likewise the same thing happens in northern Italy with regards to the south and other places, almost identical logic that gets directed at racial minorities and immigrants but talking about long running internal divisions that existed since these country's inception but despite that they managed to create a robust welfare state.

Racial distinguishing isn't relevant, primarily because there is no real difference between the people of the Earth but also because perceived difference and importance of race and ethnicity can be vague and fluid. In Britain a lot of Irish immigration was occurring during almost all of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and there was huge resentment against that for most of that time that still floats around today, even if it's mostly gone now. The history of the Irish in Britain is important because race and religion was a huge part of the argument in Britain in a way that seems suspiciously similar today, but they still assembled the welfare and everything else in spite of that. Something similar happened with Italians in places like France at the same time. As well as that some of the immigrant groups in places like Britain and France are older than people assume, huge amounts of black Caribbean people moved to Britain over the 50s and 60s, same with North Africans to France in that period.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Cat Mattress posted:

This is the heraldic equivalent of Inception. Of course we're talking about the personal coat of arms of Holy Emperor Charles V, the man who was the most powerful monarch of Christendom at the beginning of his reign thanks to generations of marriages and alliances. So let's analyze it a bit:

- the spikey saltire (red diagonal cross) is the cross of Burgundy because he was duke of Burgundy
- the two headed eagle is the Reichsadler because he was the emperor
- the "Plus Ultra" columns represent the Pillars of Hercules
- the hanging sheep necklace is for the Order of the Golden Fleece
- the crowns signify he's King of the Romans (both designs)
- the shield is quartered by shields that are themselves quartered.
  • King of Castile and León:
    • Yellow castle on red background: Castile
    • Purple lion on white background: León
  • King of Aragon and Sicily:
    • Red and yellow vertical stripes: Aragon
    • Red and yellow vertical stripes but with also eagles: Sicily
  • Thin red and white horizontal stripes and flattened gold cross on white: Naples (king)
  • Yellow dots and lines on red background forming a square with medians and diagonals: Navarre (king)
  • Thick red and white horizontal stripes: Austria (archduke) and also Lothier (duke)
  • Yellow lion on black background: Brabant (duke)
  • Yellow and blue diagonal stripes and yellow fleurs-de-lis on blue bordered by red and white stripes: Burgundy, again (still duke)
  • Black lion on yellow background: Flanders (count)
  • Red eagle: Tyrol (count)
  • Pomegranate: Granada (king)

It goes deeper. The gold cross and red and white stripes in Naples are the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Kingdom of Hungary respectively.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 23, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Flags are maps, maps are flags.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cat Mattress posted:

What is even happening here

And why are there so many duplicate bits?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Grand Fromage posted:

So that thing is the Grenville Armorial, which was designed for this guy, whose last name should tell you all you need to know. He wanted to get all of his ancestors' coats of arms collated into one shield.

All 719 of them.

It was never meant for any kind of actual use, just a curiosity, but it's one hell of a curiosity. You can see this thing in real life if you go to Stowe House.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 24, 2017

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Grand Fromage posted:

The duplicates are a visual guide to inbreeding.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Flags are maps, maps are flags.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Would that be a flap or a mag?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The territory is the map.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aomori (northernmost prefecture on Honshu (the main Japanese isle)) does this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Kosovo deserves a better flag.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Way to forget Wyoming

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Way to forget Wyoming

:golfclap:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's this document from a guy who found 370 flags with maps on it. Sub-national divisions (such as US counties, French departments, or Japanese prefectures) are common, as well as the flags of native nations in America and Australia, international organizations, and various associations and political parties.

My favorite is the flag for the African and Malagasy Union which represents Africa but not Madagascar. (Though Wikipedia has a different flag from that in the PDF, where that oversight is corrected.)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

Alaska has a nice flag as well. Hawaii has...well, an interesting one at least.

Kingdom of Hawai'i flag rules.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Way to forget Wyoming

I never understood this flag. That is obviously not a seal.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bongo Bill posted:

No, but it is white as gently caress.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

wyoming flag is good as gently caress, there are not many better

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bongo Bill posted:

Well duh. It's a buffalo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bongo Bill posted:

Easily rectified:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cat Mattress posted:

Easily rectified:

:golfclap: A great seal indeed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Easily rectified:

Change.org time

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

Easily rectified:

It doesn't say the Great Buffalo of Wyoming on it 0/10

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Green fleur-de-lis just look wrong.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This proposed one is quite nice.

https://i.imgur.com/1XScDS8.jpg

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
As someone living in New England, I am glad that finally someone is showing the world how hard it is living in constant fear of the giant lobster that roams the land.