Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This mess is such a letdown considering how good the Pixel 1s were. I still plan on getting a 2XL so hopefully Google hq is embarrassed as hell and is doing something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

This mess is such a letdown considering how good the Pixel 1s were. I still plan on getting a 2XL so hopefully Google hq is embarrassed as hell and is doing something about it.

Pixel 2 baby size continues to own, fwiw

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google sometimes inadvertently gets things right

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Ridiculous bezels. I don't even care about full screen but lol

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
What seems odd is that Google PR has not really tried to get ahead of this, but there may be other circumstances at hand (corporate still deciding on how to handle it).

I'm getting my 2 XL on Wednesday, but I doubt I'll have much to say that hasn't already been said. I love the Android experience, but I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

FWIW I don't like being an early adopter, I just couldn't stand the Nexus anymore and wanted another phone that gets regular security updates :(

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just finished setting up my 2(non-xl).

It's good.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ArgaWarga posted:

FWIW I don't like being an early adopter, I just couldn't stand the Nexus anymore and wanted another phone that gets regular security updates :(

This was why I went 6P -> 2 XL

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Sorry but I have massive hands to go along with my massive penis and I need a big phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry but I have massive hands to go along with my massive penis and I need a big phone.

I am having no issues with the lil' size pixel lol I used the XL one handed all the time while cooking and waiting at lights and stuff and the smaller phone isn't giving me any "oh good my hands are TOO BIG" problems.

I don't look like as much of a dork with it in the pocket so that's something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I am having no issues with the lil' size pixel lol I used the XL one handed all the time while cooking and waiting at lights and stuff and the smaller phone isn't giving me any "oh good my hands are TOO BIG" problems.

Yeah it definitely looks more normal and less dorky. But even an S7 Edge is kinda small for my hands, I'm a big lad

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77m8uv/pixel_2_display_megathread_poll/donkcbx/ lmaooooo

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

FAUXTON posted:

I love my big phones but I wish they made a modern version of the 2013 Moto X :sigh:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Ridiculous bezels. I don't even care about full screen but lol

Bezels are good, I hope they make them bigger next year.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I kinda understand sort of, iPhone SE was just too small for me to use comfortably :shobon:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ArgaWarga posted:

I love my big phones but I wish they made a modern version of the 2013 Moto X :sigh:

Add an actual software support structure and I'm down.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ArgaWarga posted:

Width-wise it felt pretty close to the old Moto X I currently have, just a lot taller, obviously. I was pleasantly surprised that it fit in the phone holders/bags I use with my bike, which made the switch a no-brainer. Kinda regret cancelling the Pixel 2 order I made back at launch now, since it was the one I wanted in the first place until it was unveiled. I still have the preorder for the black and white XL, in case something gets fixed with those ones and maybe I can flip it to someone who wants one now now now.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel 3 is going to be so loving awesome though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

On that note....

Ready for the 2018 Pixel Codenames?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The clickiness of the pixel 2's touchscreen is incredible. Feels like my wife's iPhone 8 home button.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MKBHD's review, talks about the screen starting at 7:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNis_A6UaI

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mental Hospitality posted:

Presenting the Pixel 3 by OnePlusTM

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hopefully everyone keeps canceling their preorders so I can get that Pixel 2 XL Panda without waiting for months.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just because your cameras 12x optical zoom makes it look big doesnt mean it actually is.

But, good luck on your 2xl. Really hoping you and other goons get good ones without problems.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Just because your cameras 12x optical zoom makes it look big doesnt mean it actually is.

But, good luck on your 2xl. Really hoping you and other goons get good ones without problems.

Ty buddy, I'm sitting pretty drat happy with this Note 8 right now but I will definitely be getting a 2XL hopefully by Christmas.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

MKBHD's review, talks about the screen starting at 7:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNis_A6UaI

That basically echos exactly what my sentiments are. There's no denying there are some issues. Mine isn't showing any. So, I'm ecstatic with the phone.

I can't get over how good the camera is even coming from the OG Pixel. I got to try it out right away at a friend's wedding reception and shot over 50 photos during the course of the night in a fairly dim venue and they were nearly all keepers. The portrait mode is scary great. For that matter, google photos is also amazing. One of us just opened up a shared photo album for the night and we had about a half dozen contributors to it with dozen of people invited to it. It really allowed people who weren't able to attend feel like they could see what was going on.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah it definitely looks more normal and less dorky. But even an S7 Edge is kinda small for my hands, I'm a big lad

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77m8uv/pixel_2_display_megathread_poll/donkcbx/ lmaooooo

Holy poo poo.. that first post with the failed QC image. I would be livid if i got that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Interesting to see mkbhd said the same thing as me, but I think he likes "natural" colours a little more than I do.

If Google said they're gonna make the vibrant mode 30% more vibrant instead of 10% I'd probably be back on board.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Interesting to see mkbhd said the same thing as me, but I think he likes "natural" colours a little more than I do.

If Google said they're gonna make the vibrant mode 30% more vibrant instead of 10% I'd probably be back on board.

I feel like they're going to address that, and probably fix a lot of people's complaints. The blue tint sucks but I don't look at a smartphone screen on an angle ever so I probably won't notice it? I dunno. I hope the burnin isn't actually a thing going forward either.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

What...what if the OnePlus 5t coming out next month ends up being a super awesome value flagship. :aaaaa:

Can that company ever redeem itself in the eyes of goons?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ty buddy, I'm sitting pretty drat happy with this Note 8 right now but I will definitely be getting a 2XL hopefully by Christmas.

Is the Pixel 2 that much of an upgrade over the Note 8?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Is the Pixel 2 that much of an upgrade over the Note 8?

At that point it's subjective. I think the Note 8 is far superior hardware, but I personally definitely prefer the smoothness, software, timely updates, and camera software of the Pixel series

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 24, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Love how people are still treating the whole "Made by Google" thing as if it was anything other than marketing speak.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Small update from my experience with Oreo on a U11.

It's good.

Also, interestingly it has the Vivid or sRGB toggle in display settings, and 3 dots next to that, that allows you to adjust those presets to be warmer or cooler.

Hopefully something Google might add to the 2XL at least.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

Perspective?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/23/opinion-pixel-2-xl-despite-one-big-flaw-still-favorite-android-phone-ever/

Perhaps some people are pickier than I, but I really don't even think about the quality of the screen when I'm using the 2 XL. I'm far more attentive to its extremely impressive performance, the quality of the images it captures, and the very pleasing fit and finish on the hardware. The Pixel 2 XL is just a Very Nice Smartphone. And that makes it exceptionally easy to recommend. And that screen? Yeah, it still looks pretty drat good at a straight-on angle.

I know I'm pickier than whomever hired that person to be a writer. It's "pickier than me".

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I know I'm pickier than whomever hired that person to be a writer. It's "pickier than me".

What? No it isn't. Both are technically correct, but I is more formal. If you're gonna be a massive pedant, at least be correct :colbert:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

..btt posted:

What? No it isn't. Both are technically correct, but I is more formal. If you're gonna be a massive pedant, at least be correct :colbert:

Both are not technically correct, I cannot be an object, me is an object and I is a subject. Even if you could get away with using I in a prepositional phrase in speech, it's certainly not acceptable anywhere with a half decent editor.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Syrinxx posted:

Don't laugh at me, but I'm kind of hoping the Pixel 3 contract goes out to Essential. They've shown they can make a pretty decent hardware package and they've mostly been struggling with the software side of it, of which Google has down pat. If the company is around next year and they are able to unfuck their production lines to not be so backlogged/slow, I think they could make a pretty good run of it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

EdEddnEddy posted:

Small update from my experience with Oreo on a U11.

It's good.

Also, interestingly it has the Vivid or sRGB toggle in display settings, and 3 dots next to that, that allows you to adjust those presets to be warmer or cooler.

Hopefully something Google might add to the 2XL at least.

What's the U11 been like keeping up with security patches?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LastInLine posted:

Both are not technically correct, I cannot be an object, me is an object and I is a subject. Even if you could get away with using I in a prepositional phrase in speech, it's certainly not acceptable anywhere with a half decent editor.

"Perhaps some people are pickier than me, but I really don't even think about the quality of the screen when I'm using the 2 XL. "

Is this the correct way? Combining both "me" and "I" in the same sentence just reads awkwardly.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

"Perhaps some people are pickier than me, but I really don't even think about the quality of the screen when I'm using the 2 XL. "

Is this the correct way? Combining both "me" and "I" in the same sentence just reads awkwardly.

I think I works better because there is an implied an at the end, he is pickier than I [am] rather than me [am]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't agree, but if correct grammar leads to awkward phrasing, then it should be rephrased completely.

"I might be picky, but I don't..."