Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ainsley McTree posted:

Always be holying? Or holy 3 times and then start healing? It sounds like after the third stun the tank is vulnerable again.

It’s me, I’m the whm with a disturbing lack of faith in holy

I also seem to end up with tanks that can’t seem to accurately communicate when they’re done pulling and when it’s safe for me to start holying

After 3 holies you have to pay attention (slightly) to the tank, but you always have oGCDs to help take care of that stuff. Holy does insane damage, and combined with aero III helps WHMs just melt packs of trash in four man dungeons.

Basically you want to get as many holy casts off as possible if there are 4+ mobs (I think 4 is the number). Also the mobs should be halfway dead by the time you have to heal the tank. Have faith in your offensive skills. The faster things die the less you have to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Always be holying? Or holy 3 times and then start healing?

Then you put Regen and maybe Asylum or whatever on the tank, cast Aero 3, and then holy more for the dps value. Start healing when the tank starts dropping too fast for regen, not when you count to some arbitrary number.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Seriously, though, as a whm your goal is to see how little healing you can actually do between your holy casts when you're in an aoe situation.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I play the same game as SCH although i base it around how many times i can cast Ruin 2/Broil

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

Always be holying? Or holy 3 times and then start healing? It sounds like after the third stun the tank is vulnerable again.

I also seem to end up with tanks that can’t seem to accurately communicate when they’re done pulling and when it’s safe for me to start holying

You need to start playing the "How Low Can You Go" game.

Not Limbo, but how low can you stabilize the HP of everyone else in the party while keeping them not-dead.

Once you figure that out, that will inform your decision-making process on when to, and when not to DPS.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Removal of cleric stance was a welcome boon to WHM dps. "LOL one too many holy" diffuses any post-wipe grumpiness. Always go for that extra holy. Benedicton is on a nice short cooldown now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
But will still screw you through your frilly white culottes when you need it the most, then go on cooldown.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Everyone holy cast is more time I can't blackest night into verboten jam.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
the only two buttons a real white mage needs:
holy
benediction

unbind everything else

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like assize and thin air, also.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bolow posted:

I've had like 5 healers so far tell me more or less "Goddamn dude I weep for your TP bar" when I'm tanking on my Warrior. And like 80% of the time I'll just immediately sprint away at the start missing the protect buff :v:

I usually just throw like 2-3 Overpowers in tank stance then swap into DPS stance and do normal gauge generation and usage and if someone rips aggro from me, Onslaught covers a multitude of sins :getin:

Mr. Nice! posted:

holy has a 4 second stun and a 4 second cast time. You swiftcast the first and start casting the second. Since no one is stunning anymore, the whole pack gets stunned for four seconds. By the time the first stun falls off your second cast goes off and everything is stunned another 2 seconds. Cast again and there will be another 1 second stun that can interrupt a bunch of aoes they try to cast in their one second of freedom from the first.

Effectively your tank will get hit with only autoattacks for 1 second in a 10 second window. Always be holying.

WHMs are gods, that's incredible.

On a somewhat related question (because my current answer is "holy poo poo WHM") what do you guys think is the best class for doing EXDR as quickly and painlessly as possible? I do it on WAR a lot because it's my main class, but sometimes I want a change of pace.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Assize is my favourite button because it does everything a whm does AND gives mana which leads to more good things.

So far I'm liking Stormblood more than I expected. Only just started Yanxia but so far the zones feel a lot prettier than heavensward zones. Ill always be a sucker for forelands and its music though, and the plot to heavensward felt more cohesive and steady

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Magres posted:

On a somewhat related question (because my current answer is "holy poo poo WHM") what do you guys think is the best class for doing EXDR as quickly and painlessly as possible? I do it on WAR a lot because it's my main class, but sometimes I want a change of pace.

Tanks all know the pulls by now. WHM

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Magres posted:

I usually just throw like 2-3 Overpowers in tank stance then swap into DPS stance and do normal gauge generation and usage and if someone rips aggro from me, Onslaught covers a multitude of sins :getin:

WHMs are gods, that's incredible.

If you don't factor in queue times the difference between a good DPS and a mediocre one is much larger than with tanks and healers. But with queue times either a DRK, SCH or WHM are all fantastic in dungeons. For DPS, I'm pretty sure SMN and BLM are on top for AOE damage but I'm not really sure where all the other DPS land.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Tanks all know the pulls by now. WHM

:staredog:

WHM IT IS!

Also, patch notes don't have anything about the Engage bug, though they have some other Squadron fixes. DARE I HOPE?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Magres posted:

Also, patch notes don't have anything about the Engage bug, though they have some other Squadron fixes. DARE I HOPE?

I turbo leveled my MCH from 40 to 50 in one sitting yesterday in anticipation of this. I'm both disappointed and relieved if it doesn't get fixed.

But then again:

quote:

Other various issues have also been addressed.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

WrightOfWay posted:

If you don't factor in queue times the difference between a good DPS and a mediocre one is much larger than with tanks and healers. But with queue times either a DRK, SCH or WHM are all fantastic in dungeons. For DPS, I'm pretty sure SMN and BLM are on top for AOE damage but I'm not really sure where all the other DPS land.

BLM has great AOE damage though I don't have much personal experience with the class. I don't want to sound like a class evangelist, but Summoner can drop the goddamn hammer on trash pulls if you don't mind blowing your Bahamuts and/or Aetherflows and/or Dreadwyrm Trances. Hey, I even installed ACT earlier today, so I can demonstrate.

It's not quite that high in reality, because ACT doesn't account for the damage rolloff on Bane properly; probably closer to 13,500 or so. Which is, you know, still a lot of damage.

After that I had a remarkably bad Deltascape 3.0 run thanks in part to my not being that familiar with the fight, and thanks in part to an offtank that decided to point the dragon add right at me, another SMN, and our WHM at the worst possible time. Sorry Sayyida.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 24, 2017

slev
Apr 6, 2009

After playing it for a while at 70 rdm is kinda boring as gently caress

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

holy has a 4 second stun and a 4 second cast time. You swiftcast the first and start casting the second. Since no one is stunning anymore, the whole pack gets stunned for four seconds. By the time the first stun falls off your second cast goes off and everything is stunned another 2 seconds. Cast again and there will be another 1 second stun that can interrupt a bunch of aoes they try to cast in their one second of freedom from the first.

Effectively your tank will get hit with only autoattacks for 1 second in a 10 second window. Always be holying.

The second holy's stun almost always clips 'cos Holy has a 3 second cast time if you Swiftcast Holy > Holy but a Swiftcast Holy > Aero 3 > Holy won't have the stun clip and also keeps damage ticking over if you have to do heals... *shudder*

Ainsley McTree posted:

Tetra/Assize should cover a lot of the incoming damage for a while in AoE packs, combined with good tanking you should be able to get the full mileage out of your Thin Air at the very least without using of of the Thin Air uptime on healing.

Asylum too actually. White Mages are monsters.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 24, 2017

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You can pretty much always get off the swiftcast 3x holy combo but anything after that is going to be real dependent on your actual group. WHM are total monsters but you will run into mana issues if you just holy spam even with Thin Air and Lucid Dreaming so just pay attention to how fast your tank is actually taking damage and heal what you gotta heal. I like to have lillies for my Assize for example since MORE ASSIZES IS MORE BETTER.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're running out of MP with Holy spam in one pull, you should probably downsize your pull size and use single target rotations because your groups DPS is generally lacking so using AoE's probably slowing the dungeon down and making things generally harder.

You should probably be able to get through two or three large pulls before going OOM as WHM, but you can get by with never doing so. Your DPS's ability to AoE well and their gear is probably the most important part of group pulling as a whole and one I feel is under recognised greatly.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:rip: Engage bug, you were too good for this world

E: I LIED IT LIVES

PRAISE YOSHI P

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You should probably be able to get through two or three large pulls before going OOM as WHM, but you can get by with never doing so.

After which you should be in a boss fight, which should give you time to refill since single-target DPS is a lot cheaper than Holy spam.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Magres posted:

:rip: Engage bug, you were too good for this world

E: I LIED IT LIVES

PRAISE YOSHI P

Oh thank god, I really want to use this to fast level all the remaining jobs that I haven't gotten to 50 yet, especially the Healers that I've basically left at around lvl30ish.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So did anybody clear Unending Coil yet? :v:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Wait what's the engage bug

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

creatine posted:

Mash engage during command missions and watch your squadron put out impossibly high DPS for their level. Ideally this is done with archers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

So did anybody clear Unending Coil yet? :v:

I've been watching streams and the transition from phase 1 to 2 is madness. Looks fun if you like Savage level content.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

creatine posted:

In a nutshell, when you hit Engage it resets all the squadron's cooldowns. Imagine an archer having Raging Strikes and Barrage up 100% of the time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
​I know I have to clear O4S first, but do I need to talk to the Mistrel in Kugane afterwards to unlock Unending Coils?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

​I know I have to clear O4S first, but do I need to talk to the Mistrel in Kugane afterwards to unlock Unending Coils?

Based on the patch notes, yes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Watching this, I realize now that the Minstrel needs to be stopped.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

At lower levels after the stun wears off you can usually alternate holy and cure 2.

At higher levels when you get them, the OGCD heals are definitely enough for single pack pulls and frequently but not always enough for multi pack pulls. Use those cool downs. Don't save them. There is nothing in 4 man dungeons worth saving your cool downs for.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

https://m.imgur.com/r/ffxiv/qisQI

Bahamut weapons. Globe, pally sword, spear, and the staves look neat. The rest less so.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I like the MCH gun, looks kinda awesome. I also need a closer look at that WAR axe, the angle isn't great.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

They fixed squadron healers not healing themselves, which is the best bug fix imo :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I'm like a week out from getting the 330 Weapon and I'm looking at it, and it doesn't seem very good?

Am I better off using those 1000 tomestones for armor upgrades instead since I can upgrade them to 340 easily enough. Unless I'm stupidly fortunate I don't see me killing O3S any time soon for a Roborant to upgrade that 330 weapon

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
So I'm reaching the end of the HW content, and uh...is there not a Dragon Beast Tribe?

I remember ARR had 4-5, it seems weird to not have one for Hrae's Brood considering the whole "repairing relations with man/dragon and the troubles that involve it" the 3.1+ content went off in the end. With them being a pretty large focus of HW as well. And me wanting a sick as hell Verdoflnir mount and a cute Dragonling Pup minion

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

So I'm reaching the end of the HW content, and uh...is there not a Dragon Beast Tribe?

I remember ARR had 4-5, it seems weird to not have one for Hrae's Brood considering the whole "repairing relations with man/dragon and the troubles that involve it" the 3.1+ content went off in the end. With them being a pretty large focus of HW as well. And me wanting a sick as hell Verdoflnir mount and a cute Dragonling Pup minion

You can get the Dragonling from Moogle tribe rep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
+1 weapon damage beats any number or type of substats.

the exact numbers are nebulous and I don't remember them exactly, but it's roughly like this:

10-15 substats = 1 mainstat

10 - 20 mainstat = 1 weapon damage

like those are almost certainly wrong numbers but the it gets the idea across. its basically impossible to make up for one less weapon damage no matter what the stats look like; also, the high ilevel weapon will have more mainstat as well. it could be nothing but piety on that spear and probably still be better.